Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:15 pm

HJS wrote:
hansen wrote:
OCs_Inner_Eagle wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:
hansen wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:Not sure what you expected the playcalling to be. After the first few series there were 9 in the box. They had to throw downfield it was what was open.


NC State made second half adjustments; Bc didn’t.

I thought our first half game plan was good. Slants, get Zay touches on short throws allowing him to make plays, try to establish the run. Second half was a shitshow where we kept thing to run Garwo into a wall of Nc State defenders followed by letting Sinkfield try to get yardage doing the same. It was clear to me that Once they took away the run, we had no plan on how to move the ball.

NCS adjusted after the first series… not halftime. All the “hey, why don’t we run…” is asinine. You have a QB who can not throw a football. The only realistic critique is whether the team would be better with Travis Levy at QB in a permanent Wildcat.

As for the “what’s the sales pitch” from microdick… it is literally doing anything more than what they’ve been doing. The strategy of ignoring the position and hoping that glass doesn’t break simply isn’t working. No other Power 5 program loses a QB and then their “fans” (who Costco’d the game) shrug and ask “whelp what’s a girl to do?”


I'd like to think we're more intelligent here than Tennessee (and most of the rest of the P5 fans).

No good QB in the country was coming here to sit behind a projected first round NFL draft pick. If they were good, they'd transfer somewhere to start. Hafley basically didn't have a recruiting class when he got hired and Morehead was a legit QB prospect. Jurk going down in Year 2 is just bad luck. They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

No one is saying that Hafley should have landed a future NFL hall of famer to be Jurkovec's back-up [see, anyone can use strawmen]. What is being argued is that we should have taken a transfer from a crappy FBS QB or a good FCS QB... because both are light years better than someone who can't throw to an open receiver beyond 10 yards. We didn't. We ignored the position and decided to role with a 6th walk-on baseball player because UVA.


I have been a huge optimist, but we all knew Grosel had serious limitations. He needed to hit a couple of deep passes total between the Temple and Missouri games. That would have been on film and hopefully the opponents' defenses would play a little more honestly. We're going to have a game manager from here on out, but we have beatable opponents. NC State probably is the best team we'll face (apologies to Wake).

Is Morehead sitting because he's not ready or to save his redshirt? I assume the former but others would know better. The preferred walk-ons presumably were supposed to develop in time to be upperclassman backups, and also aren't ready yet.

It seems they need Delaportas to emerge as the starter, presumably after serving an apprenticeship next season behind Jurkovec. But should we be concerned about him too? He does have a 4-star rating, but it wouldn't be the first time a 4-star QB flamed out for us. This summer he transferred to his home public school (Jefferson, NJ) from a weaker Catholic school program (Pope John). While Pope John is 1-6 without him, Jefferson is not much better at 2-5. Pope John's high point was 3-4 last season, after 2-win seasons the two years prior. Point being, at the high school level he hasn't been a difference-maker. Should we expect more in college?


Heard from someone connected to the program that Morehead is the real deal talent-wise but not currently ready to run Cignetti's NFL-like offense with all it's complexity. Will be ready to start by next fall if needed.

So... you are saying that you heard Hafley would rather lose games than have Cignetti to simplify the offense. Yep. Sounds like something you would believe.


I'm not falling for your straw men.
I honestly have no idea… HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18158
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -1500

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 pm

because you are retarded.

If you don’t do everything you can to win this year with a super shitty Clemson and an even worse acc, a non-retard will question the coaching acumen.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22702
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:39 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:because you are retarded.

If you don’t do everything you can to win this year with a super shitty Clemson and an even worse acc, a non-retard will question the coaching acumen.


Some began to question the coaching acumen even last year. Those few will surely be showered with well-deserved plaudits by their less perceptive peers.
Proud member of the War Room Posse: "The Brain Trust of the MAGA Movement"
EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP-BUILD THE WALL-GOD IN SCHOOLS-REMEMBER BENGHAZI-#NOBAMA-WIN THE WAR ON XMAS!
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -146

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:45 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:because you are retarded.

If you don’t do everything you can to win this year with a super shitty Clemson and an even worse acc, a non-retard will question the coaching acumen.


Some began to question the coaching acumen even last year. Those few will surely be showered with well-deserved plaudits by their less perceptive peers.

I’m sure you’ll be personally mentioned on “the jail room” when that happens
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22702
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:10 pm

Funishment might explode with conflicting anti Hafley and pro Grosel agenda.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 33682
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2542

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:24 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17126
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -310

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:50 am

yeah, but you also supported beeker's request for 50 games under his leadership before he could be judged.

pussies
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22702
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:29 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.

He's had 2 recruiting classes and his recruited QBs (Rueve and Morehead) are below two Daz walk-ons (Grosel and Menard) on the depth chart. As TRE asks, what are they going to do next year when Mr. Glass goes down? They can't take a transfer. The recruited players are way worse than Grosel. I guess, micro feels that pinning our hopes on Menard sticks around is Hafley being "more prepared to handle this going forward."
Image
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15978
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 553

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm

HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.

He's had 2 recruiting classes and his recruited QBs (Rueve and Morehead) are below two Daz walk-ons (Grosel and Menard) on the depth chart. As TRE asks, what are they going to do next year when Mr. Glass goes down? They can't take a transfer. The recruited players are way worse than Grosel. I guess, micro feels that pinning our hopes on Menard sticks around is Hafley being "more prepared to handle this going forward."
Image


Menard was not a walk-on.
As far as Rueve, he was hired in December, what would you expect?
GetIn
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9299
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 192

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:59 pm

DomingoOrtiz wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.

He's had 2 recruiting classes and his recruited QBs (Rueve and Morehead) are below two Daz walk-ons (Grosel and Menard) on the depth chart. As TRE asks, what are they going to do next year when Mr. Glass goes down? They can't take a transfer. The recruited players are way worse than Grosel. I guess, micro feels that pinning our hopes on Menard sticks around is Hafley being "more prepared to handle this going forward."
Image


Menard was not a walk-on.
As far as Rueve, he was hired in December, what would you expect?

Rueve being a December commit is 6 months ahead of Menard's May announcement. Given Menard committing days before Summer camp started, I figured he was a PWO.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15978
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 553

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:02 pm

HJS wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.

He's had 2 recruiting classes and his recruited QBs (Rueve and Morehead) are below two Daz walk-ons (Grosel and Menard) on the depth chart. As TRE asks, what are they going to do next year when Mr. Glass goes down? They can't take a transfer. The recruited players are way worse than Grosel. I guess, micro feels that pinning our hopes on Menard sticks around is Hafley being "more prepared to handle this going forward."
Image


Menard was not a walk-on.
As far as Rueve, he was hired in December, what would you expect?

Rueve being a December commit is 6 months ahead of Menard's May announcement. Given Menard committing days before Summer camp started, I figured he was a PWO.


Morehead is the only legit QB recruit he's had. The guy got hired in December during a pandemic. Rueve and Menard were complete dart-throws right after he got hired when all the good QB commits were taken by that point.

I don't know why they're not playing Morehead. Simplify the offense if you need to. I'd rather lose with him than Grosel.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17126
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -310

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:14 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.

He's had 2 recruiting classes and his recruited QBs (Rueve and Morehead) are below two Daz walk-ons (Grosel and Menard) on the depth chart. As TRE asks, what are they going to do next year when Mr. Glass goes down? They can't take a transfer. The recruited players are way worse than Grosel. I guess, micro feels that pinning our hopes on Menard sticks around is Hafley being "more prepared to handle this going forward."
Image


Menard was not a walk-on.
As far as Rueve, he was hired in December, what would you expect?

Rueve being a December commit is 6 months ahead of Menard's May announcement. Given Menard committing days before Summer camp started, I figured he was a PWO.


Morehead is the only legit QB recruit he's had. The guy got hired in December during a pandemic. Rueve and Menard were complete dart-throws right after he got hired when all the good QB commits were taken by that point.

I don't know why they're not playing Morehead. Simplify the offense if you need to. I'd rather lose with him than Grosel.


Menard was a Dazzler find.
GetIn
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9299
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 192

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:47 pm

DomingoOrtiz wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.

He's had 2 recruiting classes and his recruited QBs (Rueve and Morehead) are below two Daz walk-ons (Grosel and Menard) on the depth chart. As TRE asks, what are they going to do next year when Mr. Glass goes down? They can't take a transfer. The recruited players are way worse than Grosel. I guess, micro feels that pinning our hopes on Menard sticks around is Hafley being "more prepared to handle this going forward."
Image


Menard was not a walk-on.
As far as Rueve, he was hired in December, what would you expect?

Rueve being a December commit is 6 months ahead of Menard's May announcement. Given Menard committing days before Summer camp started, I figured he was a PWO.


Morehead is the only legit QB recruit he's had. The guy got hired in December during a pandemic. Rueve and Menard were complete dart-throws right after he got hired when all the good QB commits were taken by that point.

I don't know why they're not playing Morehead. Simplify the offense if you need to. I'd rather lose with him than Grosel.


Menard was a Dazzler find.

Putting aside for the moment what shitty player signed when with whom…

The bottom line here is that Grosel is the starter and that should never have happened. It doesn’t matter that Jurkovec transferred in. It doesn’t matter that AB transferred out. All that matters is that beginning the year with Grosel as the one and only option was a mistake and the staff should have done anything to prevent that being the scenario.

Looking at this mathematically, the failure lies in one of these troubling scenarios:
- They knew going into the season that Mr. Glass was their starter, but Staples in Amherst was sold out of bubble wrap.
- In spite of plenty of evidence to the contrary, they thought Grosel was capable of non-awfulness because UVA.
- They greatly over-estimated the Menard/Rueve/Morehead three-headed monster of suckitude to develop.
- They knew they had a problem and feverishly tried to convince Bucknell-level players to transfer in (but failed).
- One of Menard/Rueve/Morehead can actually play but Hafley (a) believes in TOB/Spaz seniority of handsome and toughness or (b) is Daz-like in stubbornness in refusing to dumb-down the offense to fit the young talent.

Explanation regarding Menard's recruitment: https://www.flofootball.com/articles/65 ... on-college
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15978
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 553

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:26 am

my guess is 2.

they viewed his experience + performance at uva (and the play against clemson, and half against louisville) as a good backup in a world where they didn't have a big recruit yet at QB and QBs leave if they're not playing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19520
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3273

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:58 am

plus headband, of course
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22702
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:16 am

claver2010 wrote:my guess is 2.

they viewed his experience + performance at uva (and the play against clemson, and half against louisville) as a good backup in a world where they didn't have a big recruit yet at QB and QBs leave if they're not playing


This won't be a popular opinion, but I don't think Grosel is as bad as these last few games.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17126
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -310

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:17 am

HJS wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:
HJS wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer


Once you've had a few recruiting classes we'll have built up some QB depth.

He's had 2 recruiting classes and his recruited QBs (Rueve and Morehead) are below two Daz walk-ons (Grosel and Menard) on the depth chart. As TRE asks, what are they going to do next year when Mr. Glass goes down? They can't take a transfer. The recruited players are way worse than Grosel. I guess, micro feels that pinning our hopes on Menard sticks around is Hafley being "more prepared to handle this going forward."
Image


Menard was not a walk-on.
As far as Rueve, he was hired in December, what would you expect?

Rueve being a December commit is 6 months ahead of Menard's May announcement. Given Menard committing days before Summer camp started, I figured he was a PWO.


Morehead is the only legit QB recruit he's had. The guy got hired in December during a pandemic. Rueve and Menard were complete dart-throws right after he got hired when all the good QB commits were taken by that point.

I don't know why they're not playing Morehead. Simplify the offense if you need to. I'd rather lose with him than Grosel.


Menard was a Dazzler find.

Putting aside for the moment what shitty player signed when with whom…

The bottom line here is that Grosel is the starter and that should never have happened. It doesn’t matter that Jurkovec transferred in. It doesn’t matter that AB transferred out. All that matters is that beginning the year with Grosel as the one and only option was a mistake and the staff should have done anything to prevent that being the scenario.

Looking at this mathematically, the failure lies in one of these troubling scenarios:
- They knew going into the season that Mr. Glass was their starter, but Staples in Amherst was sold out of bubble wrap.
- In spite of plenty of evidence to the contrary, they thought Grosel was capable of non-awfulness because UVA.
- They greatly over-estimated the Menard/Rueve/Morehead three-headed monster of suckitude to develop.
- They knew they had a problem and feverishly tried to convince Bucknell-level players to transfer in (but failed).
- One of Menard/Rueve/Morehead can actually play but Hafley (a) believes in TOB/Spaz seniority of handsome and toughness or (b) is Daz-like in stubbornness in refusing to dumb-down the offense to fit the young talent.

Explanation regarding Menard's recruitment: https://www.flofootball.com/articles/65 ... on-college


You say "something else" without proposing an actual solution. What QB was coming here to backup a first round NFL draft pick with a legit freshman QB recruit come in? Did you see what Penn St rolled out at backup QB against Iowa?
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17126
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -310

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sutherland Rd and 20 guests

Untitled document