Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:05 am

Thinking BC doesn't matter is dumber than ticket revenue. It is all about the televisions and streaming devices to the shot callers, who don't know the casual fan in the region isn't watching.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 33385
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2538

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 am

Conference Expansion talk is always uses words like "keeping up" and "counteract" and "response" and "strike first". These are all words of failed jocks who view inter-program relationships adversarially. To do something on the scale that is being tasked (i.e. turn college football into a professional league) requires coordination and centralized leadership. It is like ceding the creation of the European Union to call-in talk show hosts.

There has to be global buy-in on a set of rules. Given their position post-Texas, the SEC would be smart to lead the creation of this next step and do so in a manner where they cede some of their market power. While they could opt to create a "super-league" of 24 teams (which somehow include the non-competitive dregs of their current conference), doing so will ultimately result in their irrelevance. They are best served by having diverse engagement from 64-80 programs. In that scenario, they will have the opportunity to receive a sizable chunk of the larger pie (30% of 100% as opposed to 100% of a pie reduced by 75%).

Until business leaders take the reigns from the academics and jocks, you will see hysteria and nonsense pervade.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:16 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eagle33 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:The real question is who will be in our division in the SEC after they invite us because Lukabu led us to 2 national championships after Hafley left us because he had already won 2 championships also?


good question. i think we actually end up in the big 10 east division after the power brokers in the sec and big 10 decide how to divvy up the acc teams worth inviting for membership.


that's where your argument falls apart. neither conference needs another vandy / northwestern


we're not getting left behind when conference restructuring happens.
Image
eagle33
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: -218

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:42 am

The other thing if it turns into an absolute free for all, you could see wealthy backers turn their teams into powerhouses virtually overnight. Think Oregon (already a T10-15 program but could become dominant), Maryland, etc but really it could happen for any school--only takes one billionaire tech bro who actually cares about his alma mater's team to turn Stanford into a baby rapist, etc.
PhillyandBCEagles
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 pm
Karma: 706

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 am

PhillyandBCEagles wrote:The other thing if it turns into an absolute free for all, you could see wealthy backers turn their teams into powerhouses virtually overnight. Think Oregon (already a T10-15 program but could become dominant), Maryland, etc but really it could happen for any school--only takes one billionaire tech bro who actually cares about his alma mater's team to turn Stanford into a baby rapist, etc.

Billionaire tech guru Walden Schmidt went to MIT. Are you saying that an influx of cash from his Malibu beach house to the school on Memorial Drive could lead MIT to the natty in football? That'd be awesome.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Pac 10 Hell
Karma: -78

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:16 am

eagle33 wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eagle33 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:The real question is who will be in our division in the SEC after they invite us because Lukabu led us to 2 national championships after Hafley left us because he had already won 2 championships also?


good question. i think we actually end up in the big 10 east division after the power brokers in the sec and big 10 decide how to divvy up the acc teams worth inviting for membership.


that's where your argument falls apart. neither conference needs another vandy / northwestern


we're not getting left behind when conference restructuring happens.

twballgame9 wrote:Thinking BC doesn't matter is dumber than ticket revenue. It is all about the televisions and streaming devices to the shot callers, who don't know the casual fan in the region isn't watching.

There are plenty of mouth-breathers who believe the success of college sports is because of establishments who are barely colleges. This bubble (which includes most of the media) truly believe in that a minor league devoid of geographic diversity can be successful. They are all in on what essentially is a larger version of the Cape Cod League. The point is that BC absolutely could be left behind in a situation where these imbeciles are driving the bus off the cliff.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:28 pm

twballgame9 wrote:Thinking BC doesn't matter is dumber than ticket revenue. It is all about the televisions and streaming devices to the shot callers, who don't know the casual fan in the region isn't watching.

you don't think the shot callers have ways to go back and see that only eleventeen devices logged into the ocho to watch spaz shit and piss himself and then lip readably curse at anyone he could blame for his wet and smelly pants
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22257
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6038

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:Thinking BC doesn't matter is dumber than ticket revenue. It is all about the televisions and streaming devices to the shot callers, who don't know the casual fan in the region isn't watching.

you don't think the shot callers have ways to go back and see that only eleventeen devices logged into the ocho to watch spaz shit and piss himself and then lip readably curse at anyone he could blame for his wet and smelly pants

No. I think the current shot callers have difficulty operating a spoon.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:There was a pretty solid takedown of this report by a couple of lawyers on Twitter this morning. The way the ACC contract is structured their really is no way for Florida State and Clemson to jump ship before 2036 and those arguing that ESPN will somehow apply pressure on Phillips and the rest of the conference to abandon rights it has against FSU and Clemson are obviously unfamiliar with tortious interference with contract. Disney has some pretty deep pockets and such a claim could result in a verdict north of $150 million for each member school of the ACC against ESPN and its parent. And this isn’t speculation from a couple of Internet lawyers, it’s a takedown utilizing an internal ESPN memo from its general counsel warning against ESPN “participating in any way in discussions concerning conference alignment.”

With respect to Ohio State and Michigan, while media reports that the grant of rights runs through 2027, the cost of exiting is actually larger than the payment of an ACC-like putative exit fee. In addition to the exit fee during the agreement, at renewal of the grant of rights in 2027, any member school deciding to not renew the grant of rights must pay the other members of the BIG 10 a sum equal to 15 years of television fees from the previous contract. That is a staggering amount of money and is apparently why tOSU’s threats to exit the BIG 10 last fall when the BIG 10 decided not to play, were, according to sources within the tOSU Administration and Athletic Department, “completely empty.”

The SEC move to create a Super Conference that could presumably quadruple its current TV rights package is being done because of something previously discussed. To wit, the SEC lacks the funds to engage in a NIL arms race with certain northern and coastal schools that have much deeper pockets then their alumni bases. The Oklahoma maneuver makes sense as they are in the exact same boat as the SEC. The Texas move is curious and if you read news reports this morning, their are apparently a bunch of Texas alums who are so unhappy with this potential surrender of their vast resource advantages to Alabama, Auburn, etc. that the Texas State legislature has a bill in both the House and Senate ready to go when the fleabagging Democrat scum return to the state in the next couple of days, forbidding UT from changing conferences without the approval of the Texas legislature and Governor.

The way all of this is being presented as fait accompli by a bunch of football writer boobs is stupid, but unsurprising.


This theory may get a test. Looks like the B12 thinks they have evidence that ESPN has been something other than a disinterested bystander.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... onference/
CowboyEagle22
n00b
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:26 pm
Karma: 67

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 pm

CowboyEagle22 wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:There was a pretty solid takedown of this report by a couple of lawyers on Twitter this morning. The way the ACC contract is structured their really is no way for Florida State and Clemson to jump ship before 2036 and those arguing that ESPN will somehow apply pressure on Phillips and the rest of the conference to abandon rights it has against FSU and Clemson are obviously unfamiliar with tortious interference with contract. Disney has some pretty deep pockets and such a claim could result in a verdict north of $150 million for each member school of the ACC against ESPN and its parent. And this isn’t speculation from a couple of Internet lawyers, it’s a takedown utilizing an internal ESPN memo from its general counsel warning against ESPN “participating in any way in discussions concerning conference alignment.”

With respect to Ohio State and Michigan, while media reports that the grant of rights runs through 2027, the cost of exiting is actually larger than the payment of an ACC-like putative exit fee. In addition to the exit fee during the agreement, at renewal of the grant of rights in 2027, any member school deciding to not renew the grant of rights must pay the other members of the BIG 10 a sum equal to 15 years of television fees from the previous contract. That is a staggering amount of money and is apparently why tOSU’s threats to exit the BIG 10 last fall when the BIG 10 decided not to play, were, according to sources within the tOSU Administration and Athletic Department, “completely empty.”

The SEC move to create a Super Conference that could presumably quadruple its current TV rights package is being done because of something previously discussed. To wit, the SEC lacks the funds to engage in a NIL arms race with certain northern and coastal schools that have much deeper pockets then their alumni bases. The Oklahoma maneuver makes sense as they are in the exact same boat as the SEC. The Texas move is curious and if you read news reports this morning, their are apparently a bunch of Texas alums who are so unhappy with this potential surrender of their vast resource advantages to Alabama, Auburn, etc. that the Texas State legislature has a bill in both the House and Senate ready to go when the fleabagging Democrat scum return to the state in the next couple of days, forbidding UT from changing conferences without the approval of the Texas legislature and Governor.

The way all of this is being presented as fait accompli by a bunch of football writer boobs is stupid, but unsurprising.


This theory may get a test. Looks like the B12 thinks they have evidence that ESPN has been something other than a disinterested bystander.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... onference/

It only gets tested by inducing the BREACH of the contract. Thus far, all discussions have been about planning for when the contracts expire. ESPN, conferences and B12 members are all free to work with whomever they want regarding the future beyond 7/1/2025.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle33 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:38 am

Image
eagle33
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: -218

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:33 am

HJS wrote:
CowboyEagle22 wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:There was a pretty solid takedown of this report by a couple of lawyers on Twitter this morning. The way the ACC contract is structured their really is no way for Florida State and Clemson to jump ship before 2036 and those arguing that ESPN will somehow apply pressure on Phillips and the rest of the conference to abandon rights it has against FSU and Clemson are obviously unfamiliar with tortious interference with contract. Disney has some pretty deep pockets and such a claim could result in a verdict north of $150 million for each member school of the ACC against ESPN and its parent. And this isn’t speculation from a couple of Internet lawyers, it’s a takedown utilizing an internal ESPN memo from its general counsel warning against ESPN “participating in any way in discussions concerning conference alignment.”

With respect to Ohio State and Michigan, while media reports that the grant of rights runs through 2027, the cost of exiting is actually larger than the payment of an ACC-like putative exit fee. In addition to the exit fee during the agreement, at renewal of the grant of rights in 2027, any member school deciding to not renew the grant of rights must pay the other members of the BIG 10 a sum equal to 15 years of television fees from the previous contract. That is a staggering amount of money and is apparently why tOSU’s threats to exit the BIG 10 last fall when the BIG 10 decided not to play, were, according to sources within the tOSU Administration and Athletic Department, “completely empty.”

The SEC move to create a Super Conference that could presumably quadruple its current TV rights package is being done because of something previously discussed. To wit, the SEC lacks the funds to engage in a NIL arms race with certain northern and coastal schools that have much deeper pockets then their alumni bases. The Oklahoma maneuver makes sense as they are in the exact same boat as the SEC. The Texas move is curious and if you read news reports this morning, their are apparently a bunch of Texas alums who are so unhappy with this potential surrender of their vast resource advantages to Alabama, Auburn, etc. that the Texas State legislature has a bill in both the House and Senate ready to go when the fleabagging Democrat scum return to the state in the next couple of days, forbidding UT from changing conferences without the approval of the Texas legislature and Governor.

The way all of this is being presented as fait accompli by a bunch of football writer boobs is stupid, but unsurprising.


This theory may get a test. Looks like the B12 thinks they have evidence that ESPN has been something other than a disinterested bystander.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... onference/

It only gets tested by inducing the BREACH of the contract. Thus far, all discussions have been about planning for when the contracts expire. ESPN, conferences and B12 members are all free to work with whomever they want regarding the future beyond 7/1/2025.


The grant of rights expires in 2025, not the B12 contract. Further, there may have been communication between all schools indicating the grant of rights was going to be extended as part of their negotiation with whoever their TV partner is at the moment. That said, contract law in America is an impolite fiction, so none of this matters as a practical matter.
CowboyEagle22
n00b
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:26 pm
Karma: 67

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:07 am


Interesting article, but this paragraph seems to assume facts that may or may not be true.
The second important takeaway was that by sending the letter, Bowlsby in many ways helped galvanize the league. He identified clear enemies in ESPN and the departing schools. Bowlsby only sent that letter with presidential support, which means this will end up bonding the eight schools remaining in the Big 12. And part of that is due to the distrust of Texas and Oklahoma.
The B12 has a provision that require schools to disclose if they have been approached about or are in discussions to leave the conference. It is entirely possible that one (or four) of the schools who were approached by the horribly named AAC followed through with their contractual obligation. Bowlsby absolutely does not need the support of anyone to send such a letter. In fact, Dennis Dodd (who's generally an asshole) is saying that the AAC's plan is to absorb ALL remaining B12 teams (and hopefully changing the name to something like the Big America Conference).
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle33 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 am

HJS wrote:It is entirely possible that one (or four) of the schools who were approached by the horribly named AAC followed through with their contractual obligation. Bowlsby absolutely does not need the support of anyone to send such a letter. In fact, Dennis Dodd (who's generally an asshole) is saying that the AAC's plan is to absorb ALL remaining B12 teams (and hopefully changing the name to something like the Big America Conference).


the Big Awful would be a good name for that conference.
Image
eagle33
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: -218

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 am

eagle33 wrote:
HJS wrote:It is entirely possible that one (or four) of the schools who were approached by the horribly named AAC followed through with their contractual obligation. Bowlsby absolutely does not need the support of anyone to send such a letter. In fact, Dennis Dodd (who's generally an asshole) is saying that the AAC's plan is to absorb ALL remaining B12 teams (and hopefully changing the name to something like the Big America Conference).


the Big Awful would be a good name for that conference.

From a market perspective, you want the BAC to exist in the next world. College sports is all about engagement and debate. Originally, they used to award multiple different "National Championships" in football based on various polls. Then came the BCS (and the endless debate over who wound up in the game). Now, we have a nice 4-team set up that still permits some level of discussion about who deserves what. Along those lines, the proposed 12-team playoff is as stupid as attempting to build another NFL minor league.

College sports is built on underdogs vs BabyRapists. For its continued success, you need a crappy conference like BAC as much as you need the new SEC.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:12 pm

You definitely need critical mass and a national footprint to compete against the NFL. You also need good product to draw viewers. Merging the current P5 into the P2 gives you critical mass and a national footprint. With 4 divisions of 8 teams each in the two conferences old rivals are kept and put back together. Texas to the SEC gets the Texas v Texas A & M game back.

Unfortunately, the SEC and the B1G will decide how many and which schools get an invite. This is a huge year for BC football.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm
Karma: -358

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:17 pm

Eaglekeeper wrote:You definitely need critical mass and a national footprint to compete against the NFL. You also need good product to draw viewers. Merging the current P5 into the P2 gives you critical mass and a national footprint. With 4 divisions of 8 teams each in the two conferences old rivals are kept and put back together. Texas to the SEC gets the Texas v Texas A & M game back.

Unfortunately, the SEC and the B1G will decide how many and which schools get an invite. This is a huge year for BC football.

Go Eagles!


If they want to stick with the Power-5, the SEC wants the possibility of a second team in the playoffs, Notre Dame wants a possible path in, they don't want to lengthen/expand the playoffs to dilute the quality of the winners, AND the non-Power-5 conferences want at least a chance at the playoffs, then have a play in game. All 5 P5 champions are in the playoffs (as they should be) and the 6th is "at-large" (which gives the opportunity for the SEC to get a second team in there OR Notre Dame.) Have the "at-large" team (whoever they are) play the P5 champion that is ranked "lowest" in the AP and Coaches poll the week before Christmas. Then on New Years Day, you are down to 4 teams, they play each other. A week later, national championship. Do it this way, everyone gets what they want. You open things up to Notre Dame, all 5 power conferences stay as they are, the weaker conferences have a slim opportunity to snag the "at-large" spot with a 12-0 team, and the greedy SEC has a shot at getting two schools in the playoffs. Everyone wins.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19614
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -644

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle33 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Image
eagle33
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: -218

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:52 pm

eagle33 wrote:Which college football programs are the most valuable in conference realignment?

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-are-the-most-valuable-in-conference-realignment-b8e840f42189

USC 23rd languishing far behind the likes of Arkansas and VaTech. That nicely exemplifies my previous comments regarding the idiocy of most covering college athletics.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:46 pm

Some good news for BC, Dabo has come out against conference realignment. He also wants to get rid of the stupid fake rivalry game.
GetIn
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9133
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 189

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Miami struggles for fans. I can’t see how Northwestern or Rutgers is ranked ahead of BC.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm
Karma: -358

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:27 am

HJS wrote:Conference Expansion talk is always uses words like "keeping up" and "counteract" and "response" and "strike first". These are all words of failed jocks who view inter-program relationships adversarially. To do something on the scale that is being tasked (i.e. turn college football into a professional league) requires coordination and centralized leadership. It is like ceding the creation of the European Union to call-in talk show hosts.

There has to be global buy-in on a set of rules. Given their position post-Texas, the SEC would be smart to lead the creation of this next step and do so in a manner where they cede some of their market power. While they could opt to create a "super-league" of 24 teams (which somehow include the non-competitive dregs of their current conference), doing so will ultimately result in their irrelevance. They are best served by having diverse engagement from 64-80 programs. In that scenario, they will have the opportunity to receive a sizable chunk of the larger pie (30% of 100% as opposed to 100% of a pie reduced by 75%).

Until business leaders take the reigns from the academics and jocks, you will see hysteria and nonsense pervade.


This is a good post and you should be proud of it. The other dumb jock false bias baked in is that realignment is zero-sum and static, ie, once you conduct the realignment then everything is "fixed" and "you have won".

There are always more kids than slots at the 'right' schools, and there are always coaches on the outside who want a shot, and these things will combine to create outsider programs that will put together a few seasons of competitive runs while the lesser of the in programs languishes by making TOBy-like risk-free decisions to preserve payouts.
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2223

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:48 am

TontoKowalski wrote:
HJS wrote:Conference Expansion talk is always uses words like "keeping up" and "counteract" and "response" and "strike first". These are all words of failed jocks who view inter-program relationships adversarially. To do something on the scale that is being tasked (i.e. turn college football into a professional league) requires coordination and centralized leadership. It is like ceding the creation of the European Union to call-in talk show hosts.

There has to be global buy-in on a set of rules. Given their position post-Texas, the SEC would be smart to lead the creation of this next step and do so in a manner where they cede some of their market power. While they could opt to create a "super-league" of 24 teams (which somehow include the non-competitive dregs of their current conference), doing so will ultimately result in their irrelevance. They are best served by having diverse engagement from 64-80 programs. In that scenario, they will have the opportunity to receive a sizable chunk of the larger pie (30% of 100% as opposed to 100% of a pie reduced by 75%).

Until business leaders take the reigns from the academics and jocks, you will see hysteria and nonsense pervade.


This is a good post and you should be proud of it. The other dumb jock false bias baked in is that realignment is zero-sum and static, ie, once you conduct the realignment then everything is "fixed" and "you have won".

There are always more kids than slots at the 'right' schools, and there are always coaches on the outside who want a shot, and these things will combine to create outsider programs that will put together a few seasons of competitive runs while the lesser of the in programs languishes by making TOBy-like risk-free decisions to preserve payouts.


The business leaders taking the reins from the jocks would be horrible for BC, because the business leaders will be able to look at a spreadsheet and realize that only 25 people care about BC football, and even they only watch the games during sub-optimal apple picking or clam baking weather.
Image

Proud member of the War Room Posse: "The Brain Trust of the MAGA Movement"
Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP--BUILD THE WALL--WIN THE WAR ON XMAS!
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -100

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:39 pm

AJ Black is reporting a scheduling alliance between the ACC, B1G & PAC 12. Might be what gets ND into the ACC.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm
Karma: -358

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:54 pm

Eaglekeeper wrote:AJ Black is reporting a scheduling alliance between the ACC, B1G & PAC 12. Might be what gets ND into the ACC.

Go Eagles!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... scheduling
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby claver2010 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:24 am

so what does this alliance do? preset OOC games? or more extreme icing out the SEC?

i may be missing something but not sure why this is the level of news the media was hyping last night
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3259

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle33 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:17 am

claver2010 wrote:so what does this alliance do? preset OOC games? or more extreme icing out the SEC?

i may be missing something but not sure why this is the level of news the media was hyping last night


https://theathletic.com/news/big-ten-pac-12-acc-in-discussions-about-forming-alliance-sources/1Fv1mfs4guai

Why would the three conferences do this?
Matt Fortuna, staff writer: On Tuesday the NCAA announced the formation of a constitution committee, with the hopes of expediting a proposed governance model. It is there, in voting power, where an alliance among the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 would really show those three conferences’ power — 41 votes to the 16 votes of the expanded SEC.

Phillips, who was announced as one of 23 members of the constitution committee, has told ADs that strength comes in numbers, not in one conference stacking the deck. This is where the real difference could come for these three conferences.
Image
eagle33
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: -218

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:42 pm

HJS wrote:
Eaglekeeper wrote:AJ Black is reporting a scheduling alliance between the ACC, B1G & PAC 12. Might be what gets ND into the ACC.

Go Eagles!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... scheduling

Being announced in the next 7-10 days.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e-alliance

Interesting to see who was involved in deciding upon the 12-team ridiculous Playoff.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... comes-next
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 531

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:34 pm

Okay so Texas and Oklahoma are out, BYU, Central Florida, Houston, and Cincinnati are in.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2021/09/03/big-12-conference-new-schools-join-byu-houston-ucf-cincinnati/5721822001/

All 4 will join, why wouldn't they? So I'm thinking the conference will not do something ACC retarded and split the conference in some bullshit way. They will split geographically:

  • North
  • Cincinnati
  • Kansas
  • West Virginia
  • Iowa
  • K-State
  • Iowa State
  • South
  • BYU
  • Houston
  • Central Florida
  • Baylor
  • Texas Tech
  • Oklahoma State

Have the conference championship in Arrowhead Stadium or maybe in St Louis. That would be reasonable. Its going to suck for Central Florida no matter which division they are placed. But Miami has been dealing with the same crap for decades.

I don't think they are going to want to wait until 2025 when Oklahoma and Texas are out. Why wait? Just expand to 14 if only temporarily. Texas no longer has any clout or say, they are leaving. Since BYU is independent they could probably join immediately. The others have to break their contracts with whatever shitball conference they are currently in.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19614
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -644

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:39 pm

Iowa is not in the Big 12.

I think expansion will keep the Big 12 as a P5 conference with an automatic playoff bid when the playoff expands to 12 teams. The PAC 12 might want to reconsider expansion. Adding TCU, Texas Tech, Ok St and Kansas St would be solid additions to the PAC 12. It gets them into Texas and the Kansas City market.

East division- Arizona, ASU, Texas Tech, TCU, Ok St, KSU, Colorado & Utah
West division- USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, OSU, Washington & WSU.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm
Karma: -358

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bunratty, twballgame9 and 9 guests

Untitled document