Everything about Soccer Sucks

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 pm

talon wrote:I'm just saying that if I grew up in New Mexico and Rockies games were ALWAYS on TV, I would root for the Rockies. If my friend rooted for a northeastern team just because ESPN shows them a lot, I'd be well within my rights to mercilessly call him a front-runner.

That being said, if the EPL somehow divvied up the US tv-markets so that certain US cities got to see all of a specific EPL's games, then US fans rooting for EPL teams would make sense.


It's not always vs. a lot, it's often/a lot vs. almost never :shrug
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 7222
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 pm
Karma: 749

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 pm

talon wrote:I'm just saying that if I grew up in New Mexico and Rockies games were ALWAYS on TV, I would root for the Rockies. If my friend rooted for a northeastern team just because ESPN shows them a lot, I'd be well within my rights to mercilessly call him a front-runner.

That being said, if the EPL somehow divvied up the US tv-markets so that certain US cities got to see all of a specific EPL's games, then US fans rooting for EPL teams would make sense.

Hmmm...what about Braves fans from WTBS and Mets fans from WWOR and Cubs fans from WGN? I'm so confused, Talon! I could probably allow one non-geograpic allegiance ("my grammy loved the 'Huskers so I love 'em too!). But the worst are the "I'm a Cowboys fan and a Yankees fan and a 'Huskers fan." And then they list out the reasons for this disparate silliness and then struggle to pull out the screwdriver I just jammed into their skull.
User avatar
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am
Location: RUGBYLUVR69
Karma: 2476

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby eagle216 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 pm

talon wrote:I'm just saying that if I grew up in New Mexico and Rockies games were ALWAYS on TV, I would root for the Rockies. If my friend rooted for a northeastern team just because ESPN shows them a lot, I'd be well within my rights to mercilessly call him a front-runner.

That being said, if the EPL somehow divvied up the US tv-markets so that certain US cities got to see all of a specific EPL's games, then US fans rooting for EPL teams would make sense.


Already as is, you can watch all (or nearly all) of any teams EPL games, so long as you don't mind watching a few hours later on tape delay (no big deal in the age of the DVR) and spending 10 bucks a month on a premium channel. This has been true for a while. Starting in August, when NBC takes over, every single EPL game will be live in all of the USA, although they are cryptic with how many of these will be in the interwebs only.

In your example, what if that northeastern team was the Mets - how would you be able to call him a frontrunner.
User avatar
eagle216
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:42 pm
Karma: 135

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby eagle216 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:40 pm

HustlinOwl wrote:
eagle216 wrote:
Reverend Mike wrote:Tonto's analysis was great and incredibly accurate if he was describing his 5 year old kid's youth soccer league. But watch Barcelona play and tell me that shit is random. Note: I refuse to say "Barca" like Philly does because that is just ridiculous and even they would say "Bartha" because, well, Spaniards. Soccer may look random at times, but I would guess that this is due to the fact that it is very hard to run and kick things at the same time.

eagle216 wrote:I can not watch more than 2 minutes of rugby without blowing my brains out. I simply have no idea what the fuck is happening.

Typical attitude from a guy who hails from a second-rate city which is why you root for a second-rate city's second-rate soccer team (trying not to rocketcar you). I kid, I kid. It's basically football but there are no downs so you decide if/when you want to punt. TOB is probably a huge rugby fan because of it.


Good point on Barcelona and the lack of randomness. Ironically, their success (and that of the Spanish national team, which is heavily influenced by it) is a trend that I don't approve of as a fan and player, and as such, I was glad to see them get dick slapped by Bayern. Their play is so utterly and completely NOT random, and their execution of it so exquisite, that it greatly slowed the game down to what seemed at times to be one giant NBA half court possession without a shot clock. The opposition was usually so inadequate at winning the ball back, and so fearful of being caught out of position, that they just sat and defended passively, and hoped for a 1-0 win with a goal on a counter or set piece. Chasing Barcelona just caused you to get tired, be overextended, and do exactly what they want you to do - compromise you team shape so as to create a goal scoring opening. So teams stopped chasing - realizing that ball possession stats are merely soccer's equivalent to TOB's time of possession.

Bayern said fuck sitting back, and showed that exceptional size, strength, speed and athletism, along with technical ability on the side, can overrun and smoother Barcelona. All sports are plagued by copycats. I would much rather world football copy Bayern (speed, size, strong tackling, agressive up-the-pitch attacking with the ball, agressive closing without the ball, etc) than Barcelona.


Strong tackling?


Your either on a windup, or have never played soccer as an adult. In any event, meet me behind the Applebees, with a soccer ball, shin guards, cup, and your medical insurance card. Or go to Ireland and call out a certain Mr. Roy Keane.
User avatar
eagle216
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:42 pm
Karma: 135

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Reverend Mike wrote:
talon wrote:I'm just saying that if I grew up in New Mexico and Rockies games were ALWAYS on TV, I would root for the Rockies. If my friend rooted for a northeastern team just because ESPN shows them a lot, I'd be well within my rights to mercilessly call him a front-runner.

That being said, if the EPL somehow divvied up the US tv-markets so that certain US cities got to see all of a specific EPL's games, then US fans rooting for EPL teams would make sense.

Hmmm...what about Braves fans from WTBS and Mets fans from WWOR and Cubs fans from WGN? I'm so confused, Talon! I could probably allow one non-geograpic allegiance ("my grammy loved the 'Huskers so I love 'em too!). But the worst are the "I'm a Cowboys fan and a Yankees fan and a 'Huskers fan." And then they list out the reasons for this disparate silliness and then struggle to pull out the screwdriver I just jammed into their skull.


a co-worker of mine is a fan of domer football, dook basketball, yankee baseball, and cowboy football. i challenge anyone, anywhere to find a more douchbaggian conglomeration of alleged fandom
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22523
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby talon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:a co-worker of mine is a fan of domer football, dook basketball, yankee baseball, and cowboy football. i challenge anyone, anywhere to find a more douchbaggian conglomeration of alleged fandom


but those teams are on TV a lot, so it's perfectly reasonable.


I sometimes wonder if there are any people that went to two schools that root for the least successful combinations of the teams. (ie, someone who went to Alabama and Kentucky who roots for Kentucky football and Alabama basketball).
User avatar
talon
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:01 pm
Karma: 229

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:01 pm

talon wrote:Which European teams have minor league teams in the States?


In 2015, Manchester City will have one in MLS. Currently, Chivas of Guadalajara has one in MLS. I think there have been numerous attempts of Euro teams starting up an affiliate in the USA at a level lower than MLS, Crystal Palace-Baltimore is an example, dunno if they're still around though.
You what?
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -353

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby HustlinOwl on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Shaven, not furred.
User avatar
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: At Work
Karma: 615

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:21 pm

talon wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:a co-worker of mine is a fan of domer football, dook basketball, yankee baseball, and cowboy football. i challenge anyone, anywhere to find a more douchbaggian conglomeration of alleged fandom


but those teams are on TV a lot, so it's perfectly reasonable.


I sometimes wonder if there are any people that went to two schools that root for the least successful combinations of the teams. (ie, someone who went to Alabama and Kentucky who roots for Kentucky football and Alabama basketball).


i have co-workers that went to state for undergrad and carolina for grad school or vice versa and their alliances usually reside with the undergrad.

tucker max falls into this category as well so maybe militant call fill us in on these thoughts too
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22523
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:35 pm

talon, is there a form I have to submit for approval of which sports I watch and what teams I root for whilst watching? Thanks.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9566
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2672

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 pm

b0mberMan wrote:talon, is there a form I have to submit for approval of which sports I watch and what teams I root for whilst watching? Thanks.

what was your screen name on eagleinsider and/or eagleaction?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22523
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby HustlinOwl on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:41 pm

b0mberMan wrote:talon, is there a form I have to submit for approval of which sports I watch and what teams I root for whilst watching? Thanks.


He likes to argue. I was never a Mariner fan growing up, but I get all of their games on FOXNW now. I've grown to like them.
Shaven, not furred.
User avatar
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: At Work
Karma: 615

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:46 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:talon, is there a form I have to submit for approval of which sports I watch and what teams I root for whilst watching? Thanks.

what was your screen name on eagleinsider and/or eagleaction?

Actually, it's worth noting that he picked up the old "I need to make sure everyone who is talking about soccer knows that I don't like soccer and they are dumb for liking soccer" bit in OJ's absence.

Poor guy probably misses him. It's cute.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9566
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2672

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:15 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
talon wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:a co-worker of mine is a fan of domer football, dook basketball, yankee baseball, and cowboy football. i challenge anyone, anywhere to find a more douchbaggian conglomeration of alleged fandom


but those teams are on TV a lot, so it's perfectly reasonable.


I sometimes wonder if there are any people that went to two schools that root for the least successful combinations of the teams. (ie, someone who went to Alabama and Kentucky who roots for Kentucky football and Alabama basketball).


i have co-workers that went to state for undergrad and carolina for grad school or vice versa and their alliances usually reside with the undergrad.

tucker max falls into this category as well so maybe militant call fill us in on these thoughts too


Dammit, I've been officially branded a Tucker Max fan. I never should have mentioned him. But since you asked, he went to Univ. of Chicago undergrad and Duke Law so if you ask me, he doesn't have a much of a choice if he had to pick one of those schools. But he is from Lexington, so he could root for Kentucky as well or instead of Duke.
User avatar
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 155

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Soccer makes it socially acceptable to drink on a Saturday morning or a Tuesday afternoon. Why do you assholes have to hate it?
User avatar
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3043
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am
Karma: 2995

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Onyx Blackman wrote:Soccer makes it socially acceptable to drink on a Saturday morning or a Tuesday afternoon. Why do you assholes have to hate it?

This has always been my position. It's nice to occasionally have an excuse for my drinking since everyone thinks "sadness" is a bs reason.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9566
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2672

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:16 am

Reverend Mike wrote:Tonto's analysis was great and incredibly accurate if he was describing his 5 year old kid's youth soccer league. But watch Barcelona play and tell me that shit is random. Note: I refuse to say "Barca" like Philly does because that is just ridiculous and even they would say "Bartha" because, well, Spaniards. Soccer may look random at times, but I would guess that this is due to the fact that it is very hard to run and kick things at the same time.


I don't say "Barca" out loud because I find the pronunciation awkward (I might type it that way), but "refusing" to say it is like refusing to call the Jacksonville Jaguars the "Jags".

eagle216 wrote:I can not watch more than 2 minutes of rugby without blowing my brains out. I simply have no idea what the fuck is happening.

Typical attitude from a guy who hails from a second-rate city which is why you root for a second-rate city's second-rate soccer team (trying not to rocketcar you). I kid, I kid. It's basically football but there are no downs so you decide if/when you want to punt. TOB is probably a huge rugby fan because of it.


I thought in rugby if your team gets tackled four times while holding the ball you lose possession, and so if you've been tackled three times it's common to punt it? That seems pretty much the same thing as downs in football to me--in fact now that I think about it that's probably where the word "down" came from--only difference is they don't line back up after every down.
PhillyandBCEagles
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 pm
Karma: 706

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
Reverend Mike wrote:
talon wrote:I'm just saying that if I grew up in New Mexico and Rockies games were ALWAYS on TV, I would root for the Rockies. If my friend rooted for a northeastern team just because ESPN shows them a lot, I'd be well within my rights to mercilessly call him a front-runner.

That being said, if the EPL somehow divvied up the US tv-markets so that certain US cities got to see all of a specific EPL's games, then US fans rooting for EPL teams would make sense.

Hmmm...what about Braves fans from WTBS and Mets fans from WWOR and Cubs fans from WGN? I'm so confused, Talon! I could probably allow one non-geograpic allegiance ("my grammy loved the 'Huskers so I love 'em too!). But the worst are the "I'm a Cowboys fan and a Yankees fan and a 'Huskers fan." And then they list out the reasons for this disparate silliness and then struggle to pull out the screwdriver I just jammed into their skull.


a co-worker of mine is a fan of domer football, dook basketball, yankee baseball, and cowboy football. i challenge anyone, anywhere to find a more douchbaggian conglomeration of alleged fandom



know a guy, friend of friend, who is yankees, lakers, noter dame, duke and cowboys. he masturbates to kobe. place of birth? ohio.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 199

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 am

I used to be quite fond of rugby but then I decided to be the one person watching the NBC Sports Network after the Stanley Cup coverage went off the air and I watched something called Life University destroy the US Naval Academy. Now I have no idea what Life University is--it sounds like an on-line school or a school that Joel Osteen or Pat Robertson through together in their spare time--it is apparently located in Marietta, Georgia.

Here's the thing. I have no problem with obscure, third rate schools as long as they no their place--a place for losers who otherwise wouldn't go to college to congregate and learn to grow up to be obedient cubicle serfs. I do, however, get mad when these places start putting on airs and trying excel in some sort of athletic endeavor. I will make exceptions for the collection of midwestern equivalents of Bridgewater State/SUNY Plattsburgh that field big time hockey programs (Bemidji State, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, etc.) because if you expect people to live in dreary outposts like Marquette, Michigan you should give them some sort of entertainment. Ditto for wrestling powers like Stroudsburgh State--we need enough participants to keep the Iowa kids honest wen they are preparing for the Olympics (with the elimination of wrestling from the Olympics, I am reconsidering this exception).

I am also offended by the fact that this Life University has chosen to excel in a monacle sport like rugby or as the English say "a sport played by hooligans for the entertainment of gentlemen." To be perfectly honest, Cal's success as a rugby program offended my sensibilities as I thought it incongruent that a school that is synonymous with effete 74 should excel at manly and virtuous sport like rugby, but I always rationalized that by saying the silent minority of conservatives at Cal deserved an outlet and Cal is an elite school. Rugby matches should be contested by schools like Dartmouth and the Service Academies. The intrusion of a bunch of mercenary Afrikaaners funded by a bunch of bible thumping slack jawed yokels is offensive to the prevailing social order and should result in censure for all involved.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4180
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 364

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby hansen on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:26 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
Reverend Mike wrote:
talon wrote:I'm just saying that if I grew up in New Mexico and Rockies games were ALWAYS on TV, I would root for the Rockies. If my friend rooted for a northeastern team just because ESPN shows them a lot, I'd be well within my rights to mercilessly call him a front-runner.

That being said, if the EPL somehow divvied up the US tv-markets so that certain US cities got to see all of a specific EPL's games, then US fans rooting for EPL teams would make sense.

Hmmm...what about Braves fans from WTBS and Mets fans from WWOR and Cubs fans from WGN? I'm so confused, Talon! I could probably allow one non-geograpic allegiance ("my grammy loved the 'Huskers so I love 'em too!). But the worst are the "I'm a Cowboys fan and a Yankees fan and a 'Huskers fan." And then they list out the reasons for this disparate silliness and then struggle to pull out the screwdriver I just jammed into their skull.


a co-worker of mine is a fan of domer football, dook basketball, yankee baseball, and cowboy football. i challenge anyone, anywhere to find a more douchbaggian conglomeration of alleged fandom


i dont think it's possible.

the only thing that could make this guy more of a douche in my mind is if he asked you "wanna lax bro?"...
I honestly have no idea… HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -1375

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby hansen on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 am

Dick Rosenthal wrote:I used to be quite fond of rugby but then I decided to be the one person watching the NBC Sports Network after the Stanley Cup coverage went off the air and I watched something called Life University destroy the US Naval Academy. Now I have no idea what Life University is--it sounds like an on-line school or a school that Joel Osteen or Pat Robertson through together in their spare time--it is apparently located in Marietta, Georgia.

Here's the thing. I have no problem with obscure, third rate schools as long as they no their place--a place for losers who otherwise wouldn't go to college to congregate and learn to grow up to be obedient cubicle serfs. I do, however, get mad when these places start putting on airs and trying excel in some sort of athletic endeavor. I will make exceptions for the collection of midwestern equivalents of Bridgewater State/SUNY Plattsburgh that field big time hockey programs (Bemidji State, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, etc.) because if you expect people to live in dreary outposts like Marquette, Michigan you should give them some sort of entertainment. Ditto for wrestling powers like Stroudsburgh State--we need enough participants to keep the Iowa kids honest wen they are preparing for the Olympics (with the elimination of wrestling from the Olympics, I am reconsidering this exception).

I am also offended by the fact that this Life University has chosen to excel in a monacle sport like rugby or as the English say "a sport played by hooligans for the entertainment of gentlemen." To be perfectly honest, Cal's success as a rugby program offended my sensibilities as I thought it incongruent that a school that is synonymous with effete 74 should excel at manly and virtuous sport like rugby, but I always rationalized that by saying the silent minority of conservatives at Cal deserved an outlet and Cal is an elite school. Rugby matches should be contested by schools like Dartmouth and the Service Academies. The intrusion of a bunch of mercenary Afrikaaners funded by a bunch of bible thumping slack jawed yokels is offensive to the prevailing social order and should result in censure for all involved.


i think it's a travesty that wrestling has been eliminated from the Olympics. Yet another think that the millenials and Europe has ruined.

Ancient Greece must be rolling in their collective graves.
I honestly have no idea… HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Your Mom’s House
Karma: -1375

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 am

hansen wrote:
...Ancient Greece must be rolling in their collective graves.


i didn't realize you added necrophilia to your repertoire
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22523
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 am

hansen wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:I used to be quite fond of rugby but then I decided to be the one person watching the NBC Sports Network after the Stanley Cup coverage went off the air and I watched something called Life University destroy the US Naval Academy. Now I have no idea what Life University is--it sounds like an on-line school or a school that Joel Osteen or Pat Robertson through together in their spare time--it is apparently located in Marietta, Georgia.

Here's the thing. I have no problem with obscure, third rate schools as long as they no their place--a place for losers who otherwise wouldn't go to college to congregate and learn to grow up to be obedient cubicle serfs. I do, however, get mad when these places start putting on airs and trying excel in some sort of athletic endeavor. I will make exceptions for the collection of midwestern equivalents of Bridgewater State/SUNY Plattsburgh that field big time hockey programs (Bemidji State, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, etc.) because if you expect people to live in dreary outposts like Marquette, Michigan you should give them some sort of entertainment. Ditto for wrestling powers like Stroudsburgh State--we need enough participants to keep the Iowa kids honest wen they are preparing for the Olympics (with the elimination of wrestling from the Olympics, I am reconsidering this exception).

I am also offended by the fact that this Life University has chosen to excel in a monacle sport like rugby or as the English say "a sport played by hooligans for the entertainment of gentlemen." To be perfectly honest, Cal's success as a rugby program offended my sensibilities as I thought it incongruent that a school that is synonymous with effete 74 should excel at manly and virtuous sport like rugby, but I always rationalized that by saying the silent minority of conservatives at Cal deserved an outlet and Cal is an elite school. Rugby matches should be contested by schools like Dartmouth and the Service Academies. The intrusion of a bunch of mercenary Afrikaaners funded by a bunch of bible thumping slack jawed yokels is offensive to the prevailing social order and should result in censure for all involved.


i think it's a travesty that wrestling has been eliminated from the Olympics. Yet another think that the millenials and Europe has ruined.

Ancient Greece must be rolling in their collective graves.



Image
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 33586
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2544

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:51 am

PhillyandBCEagles wrote:I thought in rugby if your team gets tackled four times while holding the ball you lose possession, and so if you've been tackled three times it's common to punt it? That seems pretty much the same thing as downs in football to me--in fact now that I think about it that's probably where the word "down" came from--only difference is they don't line back up after every down.

You're thinking of Rugby League which is an offshoot of Rugby Union. Rugby League is watered-down and sped-up version of Rugby Union. It's mostly played in Northern England and in Australia (where Rugby Union is still king overall).

Colored names, please change my name to RUGBYLUVR69.
User avatar
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am
Location: RUGBYLUVR69
Karma: 2476

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:53 am

no
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 22523
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 6057

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:03 am

hansen has a blind spot for all things Greek, and I don't knwow if we can trust him here, especialy since he's gone rolling around in the graves of Greeks, pony riding style.

That said, I stand by my analysis in soccer. One of the things that always entertains me about soccer fans in this country is the whole 'Hey, we like soccer, instead of condemning it as as sport of small-panted Euro sissyboys, maybe you should just keep an open mind about it?' - a sentiment I wholly agree with, given that I enjoy watching olympic triathlons and marathons - except a second later, the soccer fans go completely hypocritical and say 'You're just an idiot if you don't like soccer', essentially not keeping the open mind they implore others to have.

This new version is interesting and I will add it to the catalog - 'Nice analysis tonto, but it's wrong. Instead of addressing it a point at a time, especially the mathematical part because I'm a law talking type and don't know the difference between pseudorandomness and real randomness, I'm just going to state that you're wrong in this offhanded, dismissive way and pretend that you didn't say you were approaching soccer from a position of open-mindedness. Further, I'm going to refer to you in third person instead of addressing you directly on a stale days-old thread. BTW, you're wrong.'

Well, I have to say this is unexpected. Were I a soccer fan intolerant of other viewpoints, like SOME PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD, I would likely state something like 'Fine then, go shop for jean capris and eat olives with all your small-panted fancy -mulleted spanish friends and sing songs and hope that your dying breath under the heel of an angry spanish bull smells like some one-named brazilian's sweaty shinguard, you effeminate dildo queen. Way to be a diplomat for the sport you love, jerk.' Note that this isnt what I did say - just what I *would* say were I certain other people. I myself would never actually say such a thing, because I like other viewpoints. Such is my gentlemanly nature!

No, I am glad that you all like soccer and I hope you continue to enjoy it. I will cheer for the US in anything, particularly if it sabotages the unjustified moral superiority complexes of europeans and canadians. Not that soccer affects them any. Or me, really. It's like endless potential upside wihout any crushing disappointment.
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2240

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:06 am

Dick Rosenthal wrote:...as the English say "a sport played by hooligans for the entertainment of gentlemen."

The actual saying is "Rugby is a hooligan's sport played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's sport played by hooligans."

Warmly,
RUGBYLUVR69
User avatar
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am
Location: RUGBYLUVR69
Karma: 2476

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 am

For the record, this law talking guy enjoyed your math and agreed with it. Jerk
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 33586
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2544

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:11 am

twballgame9 wrote:For the record, this law talking guy enjoyed your math and agreed with it. Jerk


Dammit, twbg, you're going to make me apologize. I'm trying to take this thread FULL ASSHAT and an apology right now is like driving a truck onto the CSX tracks underneath East Baltimore so that the freight train full of sulfur collides jumps off the tracks and collides with the Dundalk shit plant. A total derailment. I didnt intend to offend *you*.

(I enjoy the law talking and I actually am thrilled every time a thread goes full law talk because I don't know anything about any of it and it's cool to see experts discuss something complex)

note the last three paragraphs:
http://dundalk.patch.com/groups/opinion/p/happy-birthday-back-river-wastewater-treatment-plant-2
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 2240

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:44 am

Here's the thing with soccer--it's an excuse to get drunk on weekday mornings and heckle foreigners, as others have mentioned. But another part of the fun for me is that American players for the most part DON'T do all the diving and injury-faking that the Latin Americans, Italians, etc. are famous for. Not saying they never do it, but it's a lot rarer in the American game than it is in most other countries (a few other countries--England, Germany, Holland--also generally stay away from it). To me, the fact that our guys don't act like pussies makes it that much sweeter when we kick the crap out of some third world shithole whose players are too busy rolling around like they've been shot at the slightest contact to even try to put some passes together.

Rugby matches should be contested by schools like Dartmouth and the Service Academies.


I would add schools full of drunk Irishmen regardless of academic stature (BC, Villanova, Providence, Marquette, etc.) to that.

hansen wrote:i think it's a travesty that wrestling has been eliminated from the Olympics. Yet another think that the millenials and Europe has ruined.

Ancient Greece must be rolling in their collective graves.


If the US, Russia, and Iran are all agreeing that something is fucked up, it's fucked up. The Europeans got rid of wrestling because they're too limp-wristed to compete in it. The Olympics needs more combat sports, not fewer. Bring back wrestling, keep boxing/taekwondo/judo, add some sort of kickboxing (K1 or Thai rules, doesn't matter), and add MMA--you could even call it "Pankration" as a nod to the ancient Olympics. Maybe even add BJJ as well, at least for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

Reverend Mike wrote:
PhillyandBCEagles wrote:I thought in rugby if your team gets tackled four times while holding the ball you lose possession, and so if you've been tackled three times it's common to punt it? That seems pretty much the same thing as downs in football to me--in fact now that I think about it that's probably where the word "down" came from--only difference is they don't line back up after every down.

You're thinking of Rugby League which is an offshoot of Rugby Union. Rugby League is watered-down and sped-up version of Rugby Union. It's mostly played in Northern England and in Australia (where Rugby Union is still king overall).

Colored names, please change my name to RUGBYLUVR69.


I stand corrected.
PhillyandBCEagles
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 pm
Karma: 706

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Untitled document