Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:30 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Image

I see your retardedness and raise you, in reverse order of preference:

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:07 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

well, in all seriousness, I want a proven-winning coach, just as much as you all do. :angrychicken is right. That is what we need.

That said, when was the last time we had a "proven winner" come be the head coach for the Boston College football team? How many decades has it been?

:toby was not a proven winner. Neither was Jags. :pickle went cheap, took a gamble with a younger coach like Jags and he turned out to be a winner. Unfortunately, I don't think that winner wanted to be here (or anywhere in college football) coaching anymore. So worrying about Jags and how/why he was fired will get us nowhere.

The Hen was not a proven winner? Coughlin was a winner, but was he a proven winner before he got here? Want to head back to the 1980s or maybe the 1970s looking for a proven winner?

:pickle for all his faults (and his faults are LEGION), he has one aspect that is quite charming, one aspect that most of you Eagle alumni should regard with pride and admiration: He only wants to surround himself with coaches who look at Boston College as the best possible coaching job in the world. That's nice. I like that. I think you ALL should like that. But in looking for people who regard BC in that way, :pickle has figured out that the best coaches, the proven winning coaches, (for whatever reason) we don't get them to coach football at Boston College.

We argue to we are all blue in the face as to why that is, but it really doesn't matter. Nick Saban isn't coaching this team.

I want to win. This losing shit sucks. I want to win, and I don't give a FUCK if the coach :pickle hires to coach this team only wants to be here for one year (just building a resume), just so long as that coach wins every game he coaches @ BC. But that is not what :pickle wants. He wants loyalty, devotion... he DOESN'T want another Jags (even if everyone here would take him back.)

:spaz2 may very well be done. If he goes 1-11, he probably will be done. And I expect that :pickle will promote from within (again) and take a chance with someone else. I just don't see any proven winners lining up to coach football at BC. I wish that were not the case, but we don't exactly have much evidence of that happening (over the last few decades.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:22 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

well, in all seriousness, I want a proven-winning coach, just as much as you all do. :angrychicken is right. That is what we need.

That said, when was the last time we had a "proven winner" come be the head coach for the Boston College football team? How many decades has it been?

:toby was not a proven winner. Neither was Jags. :pickle went cheap, took a gamble with a younger coach like Jags and he turned out to be a winner. Unfortunately, I don't think that winner wanted to be here (or anywhere in college football) coaching anymore. So worrying about Jags and how/why he was fired will get us nowhere.

The Hen was not a proven winner? Coughlin was a winner, but was he a proven winner before he got here? Want to head back to the 1980s or maybe the 1970s looking for a proven winner?

:pickle for all his faults (and his faults are LEGION), he has one aspect that is quite charming, one aspect that most of you Eagle alumni should regard with pride and admiration: He only wants to surround himself with coaches who look at Boston College as the best possible coaching job in the world. That's nice. I like that. I think you ALL should like that. But in looking for people who regard BC in that way, :pickle has figured out that the best coaches, the proven winning coaches, (for whatever reason) we don't get them to coach football at Boston College.

We argue to we are all blue in the face as to why that is, but it really doesn't matter. Nick Saban isn't coaching this team.

I want to win. This losing shit sucks. I want to win, and I don't give a FUCK if the coach :pickle hires to coach this team only wants to be here for one year (just building a resume), just so long as that coach wins every game he coaches @ BC. But that is not what :pickle wants. He wants loyalty, devotion... he DOESN'T want another Jags (even if everyone here would take him back.)

:spaz2 may very well be done. If he goes 1-11, he probably will be done. And I expect that :pickle will promote from within (again) and take a chance with someone else. I just don't see any proven winners lining up to coach football at BC. I wish that were not the case, but we don't exactly have much evidence of that happening (over the last few decades.)

Gene doesn't care how loyal you are to BC. He doesn't care if you view BC as a final destination. If he did Whipple or Bicknell Jr would be our head coaches. He cares about control and loyalty to him.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm

I noticed Paul Petrino on that list of OSU candidates, and I think he should be interviewed.

I understand the proven winners impulse but remember that has to be qualified by either BC's academic and/or Northeast issues. Some guy who has been wildly successful at Arky State with JUCO transfers isn't a good fit. Unless someone brings Rice to a lot of CUSA ships, there aren't a lot of BC equivalents in the Sun Belt, WAC, and MAC.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'd just like to point out the nospace suggested flutie as our coach again

How about Darren Flutie?

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Gene doesn't care how loyal you are to BC. He doesn't care if you view BC as a final destination. If he did Whipple or Bicknell Jr would be our head coaches. He cares about control and loyalty to him.

I agree that he cares about control and loyalty to him. I disagree that he doesn't care how loyal you are to BC. That is because I think that :pickle thinks he IS BC. And what is important at BC? $$$$ (raising it for the endowment, and then NOT SPENDING it.) Whipple wasn't chosen to be the coach because he wanted more $$$$$. Jags went cheaper than Whipple. They generally go much cheaper when hiring coaches (I think :spaz2 is the lowest paid head coach in the ACC) and if you want to be fully felated at BC at gametime, you really need to donate and donate big. :pickle has put down the hammer on this.

What does not care about? He doesn't seem to care too much that the stands at Alumni are empty and the tailgating experience blows. I don't think he gives a fuck. Those rent-a-cop roam Shea and harrass people for the precious few hours they are there and if :pickle wasn't okay with this, rest assured, they would not be there. And if they are now charging real money to park in the garage even for the hockey/basketball games (or you need to be Flynn Fund donor or whatever) then it appears he probably doesn't give a fuck if they sell out the winter sports games. He doesn't care how inconvenient it is for those BC fans who aren't still giving BC big $$$$$.

I think I remember reading somewhere on this very forum that :pickle would often go golfing with Jags. They were close UNTIL Jags decided he wanted to at least TRY to upgrade his resume with an NFL job. That ended everything because Jags didn't put :pickle (and in :pickle 's mind, that is BC) first. And he even warned him, DO NOT INTERVIEW OR YOU WILL BE FIRED. That should have been the end of it. Sadly, it wound up being the end of BC football.

We need the program ressurected again. It took :toby many years (a decade really) to undo all the damage done by Henning. Unfortunately, we may need to be ressurected like that yet again, but I don't want to waste another decade of my ever shortening lifespan waiting for the program to be put back on solid footing. This sucks. As :angrychicken said (and I totally agree with him) we need a PROVEN WINNER and we need him now. I don't have any memory of BC ever hiring one of those, and that memory goes way back before :pickle
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Is this post:

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:well, in all seriousness, I want a proven-winning coach, just as much as you all do. :angrychicken is right. That is what we need.

Different than this post?
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I agree that he cares about control and loyalty to him. I disagree that he doesn't care how loyal you are to BC. That is because I think that :pickle thinks he IS BC. And what is important at BC? $$$$ (raising it for the endowment, and then NOT SPENDING it.) Whipple wasn't chosen to be the coach because he wanted more $$$$$. Jags went cheaper than Whipple. They generally go much cheaper when hiring coaches (I think :spaz2 is the lowest paid head coach in the ACC) and if you want to be fully felated at BC at gametime, you really need to donate and donate big. :pickle has put down the hammer on this.

What does not care about? He doesn't seem to care too much that the stands at Alumni are empty and the tailgating experience blows. I don't think he gives a fuck. Those rent-a-cop roam Shea and harrass people for the precious few hours they are there and if :pickle wasn't okay with this, rest assured, they would not be there. And if they are now charging real money to park in the garage even for the hockey/basketball games (or you need to be Flynn Fund donor or whatever) then it appears he probably doesn't give a fuck if they sell out the winter sports games. He doesn't care how inconvenient it is for those BC fans who aren't still giving BC big $$$$$.

I think I remember reading somewhere on this very forum that :pickle would often go golfing with Jags. They were close UNTIL Jags decided he wanted to at least TRY to upgrade his resume with an NFL job. That ended everything because Jags didn't put :pickle (and in :pickle 's mind, that is BC) first. And he even warned him, DO NOT INTERVIEW OR YOU WILL BE FIRED. That should have been the end of it. Sadly, it wound up being the end of BC football.

We need the program ressurected again. It took :toby many years (a decade really) to undo all the damage done by Henning. Unfortunately, we may need to be ressurected like that yet again, but I don't want to waste another decade of my ever shortening lifespan waiting for the program to be put back on solid footing. This sucks. As :angrychicken said (and I totally agree with him) we need a PROVEN WINNER and we need him now. I don't have any memory of BC ever hiring one of those, and that memory goes way back before :pickle
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:48 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'd just like to point out the nospace suggested flutie as our coach again

How about Darren Flutie?

or ffgqbttfhciwrdbf

+ about 5,000,000

Incidently, I finally get my Chevy Cruze back this weekend.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Is this post:

try reading both and get back to me.

Short answer, I agree totally with :angrychicken

I agree 50% with Atlanta Eagle, disagree 50%.

Bottom line, what I want (and what :angrychicken wants) we probably aren't getting at BC.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Bottom line, what I want (and what :angrychicken wants) we probably aren't getting at BC.

You want Goldie Hawn as the head coach?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:56 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Bottom line, what I want (and what :angrychicken wants) we probably aren't getting at BC.

Well, a 42 year Hollywood career (starting with Laugh-In in 1969) makes the never-aging-Goldie, a proven winner. Moreover, I'll be she could have won more games than :spaz2 as head coach (this year for sure.)
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Is this post:

try reading both and get back to me.

Short answer, I agree totally with :angrychicken

I agree 50% with Atlanta Eagle, disagree 50%.

You're right,

:angrychicken :angrychicken :toby :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :spaz2 :pickle

is a little different than:

:pickle :spaz2 :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle 's :toby :angrychicken :pickle

my take is you didn't use :pickle enough in your first post and that's where you confused me.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Well, a 42 year Hollywood career (starting with Laugh-In in 1969) makes the never-aging-Goldie, a proven winner. Moreover, I'll be she could have won more games than :spaz2 as head coach (this year for sure.)

I'd say she's aged

:pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :ignign
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:15 pm

:shock:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

I'd say she's aged

:pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :ignign

well in that picture, she sure looks like she needs what she used in that movie Death Becomes Her, but for a woman who is almost 70, not too bad. You might still fuck that.

Could be worse.....

:shock:
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby weinerdog on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:59 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Depends on how well she can teach it.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:53 pm

weinerdog {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

She could be in a coma, bring no assistant coaches to the game, and outsource the play calling to Kate Hudson and only be one win behind Spaz this year.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:48 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:BC never had 10 win talent this year. 8 win talent? Hardly. Maybe 6 win talent - but then again, I blame the current talent situation mostly on Spaz and his staff. You could say some of the talent issues do stem from Jags' last year, but after 3 years and consistently worse results on the field and on the recruiting trail, it's on Spaz and his staff. O Line is an unabated disaster. How Devine is still here confounds me.

I am numb and don't even give a shit when I watch BC football games. I have no desire to go to any of the games, and can't believe that I actually feel this way about a team that I've followed with all my heart for so many years. I bide my time until the current staff is blown up after this season. I don't even want to entertain the idea that it won't happen. IF IT DOESN'T HAPPEN, I will absolutely go Postal. Fucking Postal. Batshit Crazy. But as I mentioned, the concept that it won't happen seems so ridiculous that I will calmly suffer through the balance of the season as I ponder a better future for our football program.

This is bullshit. Add LeGrande and OO to the secondary and that alone would make this a 4-3 team, even with Spaz.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
weinerdog {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

She could be in a coma, bring no assistant coaches to the game, and outsource the play calling to Kate Hudson and only have beaten UMass by a TD or two less than Spaz this year.

Fixed
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:57 pm

What about Mike Groh? From New Jersey so has ties to the North. Played and coached at Virginia, so he knows about working at a place that has standards. Currently the Wide Receivers coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Alabama. He could probably get a higher profile job at another school, but as many have pointed out, there are only so many D-I coaching positions.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby angryty on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:36 pm

And he was a disaster at Virginia to the point his Dad had to fire him. I have some Cav friends who still have uncontrollable eye-twitches at the mere mention of his name.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 am

Regardless of the talent this year, what about last year, everyone thought we were an 8 win team and we lost 5 in a row.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:19 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:What about Mike Groh? From New Jersey so has ties to the North. Played and coached at Virginia, so he knows about working at a place that has standards. Currently the Wide Receivers coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Alabama. He could probably get a higher profile job at another school, but as many have pointed out, there are only so many D-I coaching positions.

If you're going to hire anyone from Alabama it should be McIlwain. Mike Groh essentially "Tranquiled" UVA when he was there. Actually he was worse than Tranquil.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:22 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:What about Mike Groh? From New Jersey so has ties to the North. Played and coached at Virginia, so he knows about working at a place that has standards. Currently the Wide Receivers coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Alabama. He could probably get a higher profile job at another school, but as many have pointed out, there are only so many D-I coaching positions.

If you're going to hire anyone from Alabama it should be McIlwain. Mike Groh essentially "Tranquiled" UVA when he was there. Actually he was worse than Tranquil.

Fairly certain the Crane Theorum has thoroughly proven with pie charts and bar graphs that no one could be worse than Tranquill.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:30 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:

He was bad, but he wasn't worse than Tranquil.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:21 am

Kevin Sumlin gave a glimpse last night as to why he is a personal fave.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:What about Mike Groh? From New Jersey so has ties to the North. Played and coached at Virginia, so he knows about working at a place that has standards.

Melissa Stark disagrees.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby weinerdog on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:34 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:What about Mike Groh? From New Jersey so has ties to the North. Played and coached at Virginia, so he knows about working at a place that has standards.

Melissa Stark disagrees.

Yeah, well, Melissa Stark can lick my log.

No, really, she can.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Kevin Sumlin gave a glimpse last night as to why he is a personal fave.

Not a fit at BC at all. Agree with you that he is a great coach and is going to accomplish a lot. Ends up in Big 12, Pac12 or SEC.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:42 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Melissa Stark disagrees.

nsfw version

So what is the real story: Mike Groh, the lacrose team, a LB on the FB team... ?
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:20 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Topics like this are the reason I went to jail for a month. They are also the reason that I only got a month for murder.

well then help me make it suck, man.

with campion off on sabbaitcal i need some help. the interns are worthless, chaz is all about dancing, and 81 keeps trying to 81 everything

i've been avoiding this thread like the plague... too many fxcktarded posts in one thread
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium