2022/23 Basketball Season

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2022/23 Basketball Season

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:20 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:What does the starting 5 look like? Key subs off the bench?

I guess it could be: MAL Zackery Langford Bickerstaff Post / Marsden ?? ??

Starting 5
- Langford
- Zackery
- Langford
- Prince (Freshman)
Hand, Kelly, Madsen, Bickerstaff, Penha Jr. will contribute off the bench. Seems like they're a legit 10 deep this season.

Now that one of the Langfords and Post are injured, what does the starting 5 plus key subs look like now?

They could very well be good to go for the Cornell game on Monday. Post having a boot on his foot doesn't inspire confidence, but who knows.

I'd assume they'd play small-ball against some of these smaller out of conference opponents. Don't know if Mighty or Glock is ready to contribute yet.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:04 pm

Post is out vs Cornell but nothing too serious.

Demar is D2D with an ankle injury.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BConway on Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:00 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:What does the starting 5 look like? Key subs off the bench?

I guess it could be: MAL Zackery Langford Bickerstaff Post / Marsden ?? ??

Starting 5
- Langford
- Zackery
- Langford
- Prince (Freshman)
Hand, Kelly, Madsen, Bickerstaff, Penha Jr. will contribute off the bench. Seems like they're a legit 10 deep this season.

Now that one of the Langfords and Post are injured, what does the starting 5 plus key subs look like now?

They could very well be good to go for the Cornell game on Monday. Post having a boot on his foot doesn't inspire confidence, but who knows.

I'd assume they'd play small-ball against some of these smaller out of conference opponents. Don't know if Mighty or Glock is ready to contribute yet.

7ft tall and a foot injury doesnt look good. Hopefully just a foot sprain and not something more serious like a stress fracture that could be trouble for the season.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:30 pm

Prob best to have him sit vs Detroit Mercy, but Demar will be good to go vs Maine, right?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:53 am

Louisville with 2 hideous early losses.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:23 am

FSU is 0-3 with losses to stetson, ucf, & troy
ville is 0-3 with losses to bellarmine, wright st & app st :shock:
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:32 am

Have the h00pz weirdoz jumped ship yet?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:13 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Have the h00pz weirdoz jumped ship yet?

Once you lose to Maine and Tartleton St. the season is over yea.

The more interesting part is when the injuries/flu heal up does the on-court performance improve. Bickerstaff and Penha shouldn't be playing 35 minutes a night on a D2 team and they wouldn't be if Post/Prince were healthy. Madsen is also mind-bogglingly bad.

I also still have very serious concerns about Grant's ability to coach Xs and Os. I think Goins runs the offense and it's embarrassing to watch. They also don't have the healthy players to play functional offense. They're playing 3v5 out there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:33 pm

I admire the fact that you know they played.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:34 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:FSU is 0-3 with losses to stetson, ucf, & troy
ville is 0-3 with losses to bellarmine, wright st & app st :shock:

ville is now 0-5 after putting up 38 points against texas tech
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:45 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:Have the h00pz weirdoz jumped ship yet?

Once you lose to Maine and Tartleton St. the season is over yea.

The more interesting part is when the injuries/flu heal up does the on-court performance improve. Bickerstaff and Penha shouldn't be playing 35 minutes a night on a D2 team and they wouldn't be if Post/Prince were healthy. Madsen is also mind-bogglingly bad.

I also still have very serious concerns about Grant's ability to coach Xs and Os. I think Goins runs the offense and it's embarrassing to watch. They also don't have the healthy players to play functional offense. They're playing 3v5 out there.

This team was never going to the tournament this year. I’m much less concerned about our basketball coach than our football coach. The team has suffered injuries to 2-3 starters each game so far. The bottom of the ACC is particularly bad and fully healthy I think we go about .500 in conference games with a couple upset wins off the top tier ACC teams. I am still optimistic on Grant.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:06 pm

U-of-A! U-of-A! U-of-A!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:45 pm

Just wondering if any of you hoops weirdos has noticed that are current coach’s former school has entered the Top 25. New coach flushed Grant’s entire roster in one year and is now drastically over performing compared to Grant. Remarkable.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:06 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Just wondering if any of you hoops weirdos has noticed that are current coach’s former school has entered the Top 25. New coach flushed Grant’s entire roster in one year and is now drastically over performing compared to Grant. Remarkable.

I noticed it because my alma mater plays them so much.

There is not a single junior on the roster. So basically all Grant's frosh recruits for his last year coaching the team, are gonezo. But there are 5 seniors.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/roster/_/id/232

I hate to pick a nit with Richard so early in the year, but 4 of the 5 seniors played in all 15 games. The 5th, played only in 14 of the 15 games. The 4 that played in every game, they each have (in excess) of 20+ minutes of game play PER GAME. So.... uh, no. All of Grant's players have not been dumped. Just his last frosh class was dumped. 6 of Grant's players are still making major contributions to this 14-1 record.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:23 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Just wondering if any of you hoops weirdos has noticed that are current coach’s former school has entered the Top 25. New coach flushed Grant’s entire roster in one year and is now drastically over performing compared to Grant. Remarkable.

There is not a single junior on the roster. So basically all Grant's frosh recruits for his last year coaching the team, are gonezo. But there are 5 seniors.

I hate to pick a nit with Richard so early in the year, but 4 of the 5 seniors played in all 15 games. The 5th, played only in 14 of the 15 games. The 4 that played in every game, they each have (in excess) of 20+ minutes of game play PER GAME. So.... uh, no. All of Grant's players have not been dumped. Just his last frosh class was dumped. 6 of Grant's players are still making major contributions to this 14-1 record.

Go read the Kelsey’s bio on the CoC website. There may be a bunch of upperclassmen, but none of them played for Earl. As his bio states, he turned over the roster completely in 2021-22 except for two holdovers. As it turns out they were GR/SR who graduated or otherwise departed. Looking at the roster and the stats, the upperclassmen who play appear to be GR transfers (Wofford, Bethel) or JUCOs (West Liberty JC and Dawson CC) who all came in this past year. As I said, no one on the roster is there because of Earl.

But who knows, when Earl’s tenure comes to an end, maybe we can hire Pat Kelsey—even though he is white.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:13 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Go read the Kelsey’s bio on the CoC website. There may be a bunch of upperclassmen, but none of them played for Earl. As his bio states, he turned over the roster completely in 2021-22 except for two holdovers. As it turns out they were GR/SR who graduated or otherwise departed. Looking at the roster and the stats, the upperclassmen who play appear to be GR transfers (Wofford, Bethel) or JUCOs (West Liberty JC and Dawson CC) who all came in this past year. As I said, no one on the roster is there because of Earl.

But who knows, when Earl’s tenure comes to an end, maybe we can hire Pat Kelsey—even though he is white.

Maybe.

For me, the only thing I care about with Earl Grant now, is his record in the ACC Conference tournament. If he wins all the games there (and he did a damn good job last year), I don't really care too much about the regular season. I just want BC to get the automatic bid.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:27 am

Pat Kelsey is a very good coach and his hire was lauded. It doesn’t mean anything with regard to Grant other than that it appears that Kelsey (between the two) is a better coach. Grant was the selection of the highest paid AD in the country. I’m sure he knew what he was doing or else he wouldn’t have been hired by Penn State.

HJS on March 25, 2021 {l Wrote}:College of Charleston did a damn good job replacing Eddy... assuming Pat Kelsey actually shows up.

HJS on April 11, 2021 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Dick:

Who do you think Arizona hires? I also don't understand their sudden Michigan/Carolina push to keep it in the family.

I think the in-the-family hires are likely due to a demand to hire minorities. As we know, possibly due to systemic issues, the ranks of minority college coaches is thin and “hot” minority coaches essentially non-existent. So, the decision I think these programs faced was (a) reach for a middling coach in the low majors or (b) give the job to an unproven legend to see what he can do with a proper support system.

BC chose (a), UNC and Mich chose (b). In fairness, it is an entirely different job to continue a successful program with built-in advantages than trying to build a program anew with inherent disadvantages.

What you have not seen this cycle is colleges going around and poaching the most successful coaches off of other programs. That’s what’s unique about the scenario. But, those that ignored wokeness certainly had a rich pool from which to draw. If you were grading-out this year’s moves, Texas-Beard and CoC-Kelsey are bound to be 2 of the best (along with Marq-Shaka).

The Beard take was on the money until he went all Michael Haywood/Zach Smith. I actually think Grant is doing quite well. This BC gig was a top-to-bottom tear down in an unrelenting basketball conference… made all the more impossible with pay-4-play that every school but ours is permitted to partake. His style of “gritty D and rebounding offense be damned” is about the only path forward given the constraints. I always viewed this as a 5 year project (and I’d say he’s ahead of schedule).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:37 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Welp, that's reason not to check in for another calendar year. Holy shit. Zachery and Post still start?

Stop posting and delete your account :P

Checkmate
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:38 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Welp, that's reason not to check in for another calendar year. Holy shit. Zachery and Post still start?

Your first sentence explains your third one. Zackery is one of the better guards in the ACC. Ask somebody

This was a good one too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Stop posting and delete your account :P

Checkmate

I was correct that Post is good. I’ve never vouched for Zachary I’ve never liked him
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:33 pm

U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A, U-OF-A!
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:13 pm

rest of season prediction:

Clemson W
Syracuse W
Va Tech L
NC State L
Pitt W
FSU W
Virginia L
Wake L
Ga Tech W

we win one in ACC tourney. Finish 16-17
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:27 pm

Is Quinten Post back next year? He only played 4 years and played his 2020 season at Miss St. If he comes back for a 5th year he might Kenny Pickett himself into the 2nd round of the NBA draft, I could see it.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:52 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Is Quinten Post back next year? He only played 4 years and played his 2020 season at Miss St. If he comes back for a 5th year he might Kenny Pickett himself into the 2nd round of the NBA draft, I could see it.

depends on how much you donate to the NIL collective
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:rest of season prediction:

Clemson W
Syracuse W
Va Tech L
NC State L
Pitt W
FSU W
Virginia L
Wake L
Ga Tech W

we win one in ACC tourney. Finish 16-17

I'd sign-up for 9-11 in conference that would be really solid progress for this program.

Beating Cuse with our complete lack of outside shooting feels nearly impossible to me.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:41 pm

calling 'wrong place, wrong time' after your player brings a gun to another player who kills someone with that gun certainly is a take
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:53 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:calling 'wrong place, wrong time' after your player brings a gun to another player who kills someone with that gun certainly is a take

Nate Oats was a scumbag when he was in Buffalo, it's just that nobody cared. What's really interesting is that Greg Byrne is probably going to go down with this ship. Why would the AD at Bama try and bury this thing when there was almost no way this wouldn't come out. Even if Bama makes the Final Four or even wins the Natty, the money and fan engagement would be a fraction of what football success brings in. The smart reaction would have been to fire Oats and clean house. Not a single Bama fan would have cared. Now you have fucked things up so badly that School President, BOT and Governor are all going to have to do something about this and Oats isn't going to be a big enough scalp to make this go away.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:57 pm

the lock him up chants brought back some fond memories

back to bc. heard Post on ACC radio this week, was asked about next year and said 'it's up in the air'. Host pressed a little but nothing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:32 pm

College of Charleston going to the dance
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum