Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:49 am

The irony of all this is that most people aren't going to care. College football is going the way of the dodo and professional baseball. Has been for a while. This realignment is their launch angle.

College football was great precisely because it wasn't like the NFL. No one watches the G League or Scranton vs Worcester.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:46 pm

This had been my consistent point. Idiots who write about sports listen to failed jocks who talk about their PhDs and how this is all “business”. Yet, they don’t apply even the slightest level of business acumen when making decisions. I would not invest a penny with the DOCTOR Krafts of the world. So, it comes at zero surprise that graduates of UNC Wilmington would unwittingly kill the golden goose.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:54 am

I agree with you both. In some respects, college football has devolved back to where it was in the earliest days of the “modern” era of the game, defined as the invention/implementation of the forward pass, and the rules instituted due to pressure from Teddy Roosevelt (abolition of the flying wedge) and transformation of the game from a rugby hybrid to a sport we’d largely recognize today. At that time, as now, there were lots of mercenary professionals who passed between schools going to the highest bidder. The Michigan teams of Fielding Yost were largely made up of such players and this was rampant in the Ivy Leagues and West Point as well. Some of the early stars of that era—George Gipp, Red Grange, Elmer Oliphant, Jim Thorpe, Tack Hardwick, Paul Robeson, Ernie Nevers, were paid like the professionals they were, and Nevers aside, most of the above barely spent any time in a classroom. This “Golden Age” lead to the creation of the NCAA and enforcement of amateurism on the players. The arms race was also the reason the Ivies and football powers like U of Chicago, Carnegie-Mellon, Case Western Reserve and Washington University either de-emphasized football or abandoned it entirely. I wonder if the same thing is about to happen again.

But the imminent destruction of everything that made college football great is part of a larger problem with our higher education system in general—the addition of highly paid “administrators” driving up costs and then justifying their existence by the aggressive pursuit of money for the institution despite obvious long-term problems with the model and the devaluation of everything they touch. Go back 50 years and look at college administration in general and athletic departments in particular. Most colleges had a fraction of the administrative overhead and even the biggest and most powerful athletic departments ran on a shoe string. Most ADs were the football or basketball coach, depending on which sport was most popular. Even amongst the few schools that had dedicated ADs, like BC or Notre Dame (Bill Flynn and Moose Krause respectively), the AD wore many hats. Flynn, talking to alums who played basketball and football and hockey here is the 60s and 70s, could be seen touching up the logo at the old Robert’s Center and helping with ice maintenance at McHugh. He also taught math, on and off, into the late 60s. Krause similarly was known to cut the grass on the practice fields, and do maintenance on the baseball field. He also taught the freshman-mandatory phys ed and swim classes.

It’s the same story on the academic side. BC has nearly tripled the number of Administrators it had from when I was a fresh faced lad of 20 walking about the campus in the early 90s, and BC is actually on the low end of the bell curve in that regard. And just like the unadulterated pursuit of maximum dollars is probably going to ultimately devalue college football overall in the long run by turning of more than half of the customer base, the increased costs of administration passed on to consumers (students) has already made college a losing proposition for the majority of attendees from a cost-benefit perspective. The college bubble is going to burst in the very near future—it’s why higher education lobbyists and their hard left allies in Congress and this Administration are pushing so hard for loan forgiveness. Anyone who has looked at the model can see a Lehman Brothers type collapse coming without a massive infusion of make believe government money to prop the thing up. It’s going to die and a lot of mediocre schools are going to go down the pipe with it. The death spiral will begin with smallish, academically blah liberal arts colleges—that is already apparently happening—and it will spread to non-flagship state schools—which is also starting to happen (Wisconsin, Illinois, California, New York and Pennsylvania have already begun closing “extension campuses” of their State University systems either proactively—Wisconsin and Pennsylvania—or because the costs aren’t sustainable under declining economies and skyrocketing deficits-Illinois, California and New York.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:12 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I agree with you both. In some respects, college football has devolved back to where it was in the earliest days of the “modern” era of the game, defined as the invention/implementation of the forward pass, and the rules instituted due to pressure from Teddy Roosevelt (abolition of the flying wedge) and transformation of the game from a rugby hybrid to a sport we’d largely recognize today. At that time, as now, there were lots of mercenary professionals who passed between schools going to the highest bidder. The Michigan teams of Fielding Yost were largely made up of such players and this was rampant in the Ivy Leagues and West Point as well. Some of the early stars of that era—George Gipp, Red Grange, Elmer Oliphant, Jim Thorpe, Tack Hardwick, Paul Robeson, Ernie Nevers, were paid like the professionals they were, and Nevers aside, most of the above barely spent any time in a classroom. This “Golden Age” lead to the creation of the NCAA and enforcement of amateurism on the players. The arms race was also the reason the Ivies and football powers like U of Chicago, Carnegie-Mellon, Case Western Reserve and Washington University either de-emphasized football or abandoned it entirely. I wonder if the same thing is about to happen again.

But the imminent destruction of everything that made college football great is part of a larger problem with our higher education system in general—the addition of highly paid “administrators” driving up costs and then justifying their existence by the aggressive pursuit of money for the institution despite obvious long-term problems with the model and the devaluation of everything they touch. Go back 50 years and look at college administration in general and athletic departments in particular. Most colleges had a fraction of the administrative overhead and even the biggest and most powerful athletic departments ran on a shoe string. Most ADs were the football or basketball coach, depending on which sport was most popular. Even amongst the few schools that had dedicated ADs, like BC or Notre Dame (Bill Flynn and Moose Krause respectively), the AD wore many hats. Flynn, talking to alums who played basketball and football and hockey here is the 60s and 70s, could be seen touching up the logo at the old Robert’s Center and helping with ice maintenance at McHugh. He also taught math, on and off, into the late 60s. Krause similarly was known to cut the grass on the practice fields, and do maintenance on the baseball field. He also taught the freshman-mandatory phys ed and swim classes.

It’s the same story on the academic side. BC has nearly tripled the number of Administrators it had from when I was a fresh faced lad of 20 walking about the campus in the early 90s, and BC is actually on the low end of the bell curve in that regard. And just like the unadulterated pursuit of maximum dollars is probably going to ultimately devalue college football overall in the long run by turning of more than half of the customer base, the increased costs of administration passed on to consumers (students) has already made college a losing proposition for the majority of attendees from a cost-benefit perspective. The college bubble is going to burst in the very near future—it’s why higher education lobbyists and their hard left allies in Congress and this Administration are pushing so hard for loan forgiveness. Anyone who has looked at the model can see a Lehman Brothers type collapse coming without a massive infusion of make believe government money to prop the thing up. It’s going to die and a lot of mediocre schools are going to go down the pipe with it. The death spiral will begin with smallish, academically blah liberal arts colleges—that is already apparently happening—and it will spread to non-flagship state schools—which is also starting to happen (Wisconsin, Illinois, California, New York and Pennsylvania have already begun closing “extension campuses” of their State University systems either proactively—Wisconsin and Pennsylvania—or because the costs aren’t sustainable under declining economies and skyrocketing deficits-Illinois, California and New York.

I agree with Dick on the bubble. COVID should have been a wake up call for many but they learned nothing and were all bailed out.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:00 am

The regional rivalries will disappear as the most valuable college programs will gravitate towards one-another. That makes sense. There is too much money at stake. Universities with the most clout are no longer going to be satisfied making less money than they can. But there is going to be college football and people are going to continue to enjoy watching it. True, you will not see CAL play USC anymore, but the national broadcasters will light up all the TVs nationwide when USC plays Ohio State and UCLA plays Michigan. This culling of the herd, it might make college football even better.

Why do I say this? I say this because the NFL is going to continue to exist, and the NFL is likely to remain the premier professional sports league in the world. And the NFL will continue to need to find talent to fill out its rosters, the best football players in the world. And only the best will do because people do not pay to watch the second best. And college football (the way it has been constructed by the NCAA), with 85 full scholarships each for the 131 FBS schools and a variety of scholarship packages offered at the 125 FCS schools, that has a way of exposing the most talented high school athletes and giving them 3 to 5 years to show the NFL what they can do.

College baseball, sucks. I know I am going to grief for this (given the incredible success BC has had) but college hockey also sucks. It is not all that entertaining. The tv audience drawn by these college student-athletes to watch them play sports is absolutely dwarfed by men's college basketball and (especially) college football. And with good reason. They are NOT the best players. The best 19 and 20 year old baseball and hockey players are NOT playing in college. MLB and the NHL have such profound, organized, and well-funded farm programs. That is where the best 19 and 20 year old baseball and hockey players are before they are in the show. They go get the best high school players and stick them in their own farm systems and have them work it all out in their minors before they go to the show. Canada even has their own junior league for 17 to 19 year old players. True, the NBA does have a G league. But it is nothing like what exists for MLB or the NHL. The size and scope are completely different. Hell, not every NBA team even has a G-league affiliate! The best high school basketball players will continue to opt for college, even if it is only for one year (one-and-done.)

The NFL is very smart. They have already subcontracted out the most elaborate, and well structured farm system in the world for them to draft the best football players in the world. That system is college football. And that system costs the NFL, zero. Nothing. Why would they want to spend the huge money to create a farm system all on their own to draw the best high school athletes AWAY from the college gridiron, when they don't have to? Why would they do that? What is in it for them? Colleges do ALL the recruiting. They don't have to. And you can't put the best high school football player in the world right into the NFL at age 18. Unlike the NBA, this a contact sport. He will be ruined and (likely) hurt. His muscles and bone structure are still developing and playing against grown men at such a young age, might be end of him.

As long as college football (no matter what it morphs into) continues to have the best high school football players filling out its rosters, then college football will continue to exist. And it will continue to draw massive crowds in the stands (even if the Baby-Rapist schools must travel 3000 miles or more to play one another.) It will continue to get excellent ratings on television. The death of the regional rivalry will not kill the golden goose that is college football. Losing the best players WOULD kill it. But only the NFL could do that. And they have no reason to kill it.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:39 am

i'm inviting all here to count the errors in the above nospacian post. closest to the right answer will win a prize.

the only hint i will give is that the number is at least double digits, but does not have a comma

participants that show their work will have a leg up on their competition that just guesses a number. The answer is not 69. THIS IS A SERIOUS AND IMPORTANT CONTEST!
Last edited by TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:03 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm inviting all here to count the errors in the above nospacian post. closest to the right answer will win a prize.

the only hint i will give is that the number is at least double digits, but does not have a comma

i stopped reading his posts because i don't want to get CTE.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TheGuyWhoSaysPenis on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:43 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm inviting all here to count the errors in the above nospacian post. closest to the right answer will win a prize.

participants that show their work will have a leg up on their competition that just guesses a number. The answer is not 69. THIS IS A SERIOUS AND IMPORTANT CONTEST!

Penis.
TheGuyWhoSaysPenis
n00b

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:40 pm

All I did was make an argument.

I may be wrong. I have been wrong, before. But, its an argument. USC administrators may have been fucking idiots to admit Aunt Becky's ignorant daughters to "row crew" but no one cares about those sports the way they do football and men's hoop. I'm sure they crunched the numbers and this move was pretty obvious for them. It pains me (because I do not want to see USC and UCLA abandon U-of-A) but this is not 1920 and college football players do not travel by train. Its 3 hours from LAX to Columbus/Detroit/Lansing on Southwest. There simply is no great financial reason for USC or UCLA to continue playing Oregon State and Stanford (and maybe have couple hundred thousand in Southern California watch on television) if they can play Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, or Michigan State and double their audience (and TV contract.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:40 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:

i stopped reading his posts because i don't want to get CTE.

Too late. You've had it for years.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:44 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The regional rivalries will disappear as the most valuable college programs will gravitate towards one-another. That makes sense. There is too much money at stake. Universities with the most clout are no longer going to be satisfied making less money than they can. But there is going to be college football and people are going to continue to enjoy watching it. True, you will not see CAL play USC anymore, but the national broadcasters will light up all the TVs nationwide when USC plays Ohio State and UCLA plays Michigan. This culling of the herd, it might make college football even better.

Why do I say this? I say this because the NFL is going to continue to exist, and the NFL is likely to remain the premier professional sports league in the world. And the NFL will continue to need to find talent to fill out its rosters, the best football players in the world. And only the best will do because people do not pay to watch the second best. And college football (the way it has been constructed by the NCAA), with 85 full scholarships each for the 131 FBS schools and a variety of scholarship packages offered at the 125 FCS schools, that has a way of exposing the most talented high school athletes and giving them 3 to 5 years to show the NFL what they can do.

College baseball, sucks. I know I am going to grief for this (given the incredible success BC has had) but college hockey also sucks. It is not all that entertaining. The tv audience drawn by these college student-athletes to watch them play sports is absolutely dwarfed by men's college basketball and (especially) college football. And with good reason. They are NOT the best players. The best 19 and 20 year old baseball and hockey players are NOT playing in college. MLB and the NHL have such profound, organized, and well-funded farm programs. That is where the best 19 and 20 year old baseball and hockey players are before they are in the show. They go get the best high school players and stick them in their own farm systems and have them work it all out in their minors before they go to the show. Canada even has their own junior league for 17 to 19 year old players. True, the NBA does have a G league. But it is nothing like what exists for MLB or the NHL. The size and scope are completely different. Hell, not every NBA team even has a G-league affiliate! The best high school basketball players will continue to opt for college, even if it is only for one year (one-and-done.)

The NFL is very smart. They have already subcontracted out the most elaborate, and well structured farm system in the world for them to draft the best football players in the world. That system is college football. And that system costs the NFL, zero. Nothing. Why would they want to spend the huge money to create a farm system all on their own to draw the best high school athletes AWAY from the college gridiron, when they don't have to? Why would they do that? What is in it for them? Colleges do ALL the recruiting. They don't have to. And you can't put the best high school football player in the world right into the NFL at age 18. Unlike the NBA, this a contact sport. He will be ruined and (likely) hurt. His muscles and bone structure are still developing and playing against grown men at such a young age, might be end of him.

As long as college football (no matter what it morphs into) continues to have the best high school football players filling out its rosters, then college football will continue to exist. And it will continue to draw massive crowds in the stands (even if the Baby-Rapist schools must travel 3000 miles or more to play one another.) It will continue to get excellent ratings on television. The death of the regional rivalry will not kill the golden goose that is college football. Losing the best players WOULD kill it. But only the NFL could do that. And they have no reason to kill it.

You are certainly right that college football will survive to feed the NFL but posit a world where baseball never lost its premier status. Would Triple A games be getting college football ratings and crowds? My instinct, which could be wrong, tells me no.

Post consolidation college football has to do 1 of 2 things - convert West Virginia, Texas Tech, etc fans to fans of the bigger programs or convince people to watch because of the increase in quality/matchups. As for the former, they are hoping those fan bases are a rounding error, but IMO in the aggregate they are wrong. As for the latter as someone who's lived in NYC, Boston, and LA, color me skeptical that large swaths of NFL fans are holding back from watching because the quality of the play isn't 10% better and are just waiting to tune in so long as we get rid of the occasional Alabama-Vandy game.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:08 pm

That nospace post is too much stupid to unpack.

Alienate fans by chasing money, lose tons of fans. Elect model designed to be minor league football, become minor league football.

No one watches college football to scout the LB from Alabama that might be the Jets next LB any more than they are lining up in Worcester to see the guy that will be the next SS, SP, RF for the Red Sox. They watch college football because it is something different than the NFL not because it's a lesser version of it.

I already stopped watching most college football on National TV. Take away BC and rivalries and I won't watch a game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:17 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The regional rivalries will disappear as the most valuable college programs will gravitate towards one-another. That makes sense. There is too much money at stake. Universities with the most clout are no longer going to be satisfied making less money than they can. But there is going to be college football and people are going to continue to enjoy watching it. True, you will not see CAL play USC anymore, but the national broadcasters will light up all the TVs nationwide when USC plays Ohio State and UCLA plays Michigan. This culling of the herd, it might make college football even better.

You are certainly right that college football will survive to feed the NFL but posit a world where baseball never lost its premier status. Would Triple A games be getting college football ratings and crowds? My instinct, which could be wrong, tells me no.

Post consolidation college football has to do 1 of 2 things - convert West Virginia, Texas Tech, etc fans to fans of the bigger programs or convince people to watch because of the increase in quality/matchups. As for the former, they are hoping those fan bases are a rounding error, but IMO in the aggregate they are wrong. As for the latter as someone who's lived in NYC, Boston, and LA, color me skeptical that large swaths of NFL fans are holding back from watching because the quality of the play isn't 10% better and are just waiting to tune in so long as we get rid of the occasional Alabama-Vandy game.

Ooops, you misunderstood my point (likely I did a shit job communicating.)

Texas Tech and WVa will still have college football programs and 85 scholarships. That wont change. What will change is that Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M will no longer play Texas Tech because, well, why should they? There is nothing in it for the baby rapists to play a lesser school with a fraction of their clout. The baby rapists would rather play each other and hoard all the tv money for themselves.

That is the reason why Notre Dame was (and still is) an independent. They were ahead of the college football curve. They don't share. The tv money, it's all theirs. Its just that the other baby rapist schools are coming around.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:37 pm

The problem with having nothing but baby rapist schools is that they all can't win and then some of those schools are going to be perpetual sub 500 teams and that fan base is going to get pissed. Take a hint from wrestling, you need jobbers.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:The problem with having nothing but baby rapist schools is that they all can't win and then some of those schools are going to be perpetual sub 500 teams and that fan base is going to get pissed. Take a hint from wrestling, you need jobbers.

Yes.

When this all shakes out, and the two 16-team, super conferences, the SEC and B1G-T(16)N have gathered up all the baby rapists in one giant pile of college football tv clout and power, there will still be OOC games and perhaps one or two contracted games a year against schools in the ACC, the Big-XII, and whatever is left of my pitiful PAC. As long as that contract is as one sided as we all think the BC-Ohio State "home-and-home" will eventually wind up.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:27 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:The problem with having nothing but baby rapist schools is that they all can't win and then some of those schools are going to be perpetual sub 500 teams and that fan base is going to get pissed. Take a hint from wrestling, you need jobbers.

Yes.

When this all shakes out, and the two 16-team, super conferences, the SEC and B1G-T(16)N have gathered up all the baby rapists in one giant pile of college football tv clout and power, there will still be OOC games and perhaps one or two contracted games a year against schools in the ACC, the Big-XII, and whatever is left of my pitiful PAC. As long as that contract is as one sided as we all think the BC-Ohio State "home-and-home" will eventually wind up.

You're a moron for thinking any of those other football programs continue to exist in 10 years. There is zero reason for them to survive.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:41 am

I agree he is a moron, but are you saying the conferences won’t exist, the programs won’t exist, or yes?

I agree the conferences won’t exist. I don’t agree the programs won’t exist… just that they’ll become another layer between the f league and the 1aa with rules and dollars closer to 1aa than the f league
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:I agree he is a moron, but are you saying the conferences won’t exist, the programs won’t exist, or yes?

I agree the conferences won’t exist. I don’t agree the programs won’t exist… just that they’ll become another layer between the f league and the 1aa with rules and dollars closer to 1aa than the f league

Probably some combination of both. The lack of influx of cash from conferences will make many programs close up shop. Others will downgrade. None will be relevant.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:42 am

and then we'll have a sizable portion of the campus footprint covered by facilities that proved very expensive but are no longer needed. maybe we can use that space to build an engineering center and finally get the "university" designation we've all been craving. having been to a fair share of college campuses with future engineers, those buildings are pretty cool
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:43 am

Soooo, does the BIG and SEC kick out Vandy and NW?

Interestingly, an all private school conference would have been fun, but you would need USC in it.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yes.

You're a moron for thinking any of those other football programs continue to exist in 10 years. There is zero reason for them to survive.

Well Teddy, in 1990, the year my alma mater went 1-11 (or maybe 1-10, I don't remember but I do remember we hired Barry Gallop to be head coach in 1991) we played against Harvard. I went to the game. They clobbered us. I was 19 and it was (I believe) the very first college football game I ever attended. I don't know if you have ever been in Harvard's Coliseum but it is quite beautiful and spacious. There were about 15,000 people in the stands the day I was there (5 times as many people I ever saw at Parson's field in Brookline.)

That was 32 years ago. Fuck I'm old (but so are you.) Anyway, as far as I know Harvard still plays that bullshit 1-AA level and they still have a team that continues to exist and no one (other than Harvard students or alumni) give a fuck. No one cares. But 32 years later (not 10 years, 32 years) the team has survived. Northeastern's team did NOT survive. I think we folded our tents in the early 2000s. Us along with BU. But there are schools that continue (to this day) to play meaningless division-1 football and have zero reason to do so. Like you said.

I don't know what is going to happen. But I do know that the SEC and the B1G-T(16)N have both set themselves up as the baby rapist super-conferences. And they set themselves apart from all the other conferences. Texas, Nebraska, Texas A&M, USC, UCLA, and Oklahoma, they all made the right call. And Maryland and Rutgers are both masturbating themselves to sleep at night and when they wake, they look at BC and their laugh their asses off. But that doesn't mean that BC will stop offering 85 scholarships simply because there is zero reason for them to do so.

I know it stings guys. I know this hurts watching this unfold, knowing that BC does not "rate." But what can we do? We can't stop it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:09 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Soooo, does the BIG and SEC kick out Vandy and NW?

and/or will get to the point that these universities no longer want to be a part of it.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:38 am

I know it stings guys. I know this hurts watching this unfold. But what can we do? We can't stop it.

It's this type of attitude that got you introduced to Dr. Martha Blyhope.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:41 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
I know it stings guys. I know this hurts watching this unfold. But what can we do? We can't stop it.

It's this type of attitude that got you introduced to Dr. Martha Blyhope.

Perhaps. Or maybe I just created her out of thin air and you took her persona and ran with it in a different direction?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:44 am

Yes.

Don’t you have some trial you should be watching and posting about?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:44 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

and/or will get to the point that these universities no longer want to be a part of it.

yeah, but the money spends. "oh, so i have to go 0 - 12 every year but you'll pay me $300m a year to do it? ... well then spank my ass and call me goose egg. i've got dr martha blyhope's number on speed dial"

my guess is the league builds some "minimum capacity stadium" clause into it's requirements and those that can't meet it are KICKED OUT!!!! i would guess there will be defined language that it has to be a designated stadium and soldier field/nissan stadium don't count. without something like that added to the charter, i could see it being very cost prohibitive to have to pay vandy and nw to go away (pack yer bags)

if you make it 60k then based on current stadium size you lose not only vandy and nw, but also rutgres, maryland, indiana, and minnesota (and you'd have to buy 1,500 confederate flagged folding chairs for ol' miss). i can see the baby rapist being okay with all of those falling by the wayside in favor of the clemson, fsu, domers, byu, wvu, washington, and even unc (ha!) or uva (HA!!!!)

i could also see tcu tearing down their current monstrosity and building something that meets the new capacity requirements. lots of money in ft. worth to help that to happen... and not just from mysterious strangers. then again, the horny toads have a bc level of apathy for their sports teams so, maybe not
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

Yes.

not until the trial for the bicycle murderer starts. no real sports and no trials - only baseball and supreme court complaining
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:05 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

Yes.

hansen, when did you start doing youtubes from your home?

at the end, I expected you to tell me to have a seat over there
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:33 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

There are already rumblings about how difficult it is to add more schools (even good ones like FSU and ND) and make their financial presence impactful when split among the 16+ other mouths. The Temple-ing of shitty, underproducing schools is certainly not beyond scope for organizations that are SOLELY about operating a minor league circuit.

I don't think Vandy or NW would be terribly busted-up about being kicked out. But, they certainly wouldn't leave preemptively. They would first want to negotiate some sort of St. Louis Spirit-like settlement (where they make something like 1/20th the conference's TV revenue in perpetuity).

If BC had a magic wand, they would want to be in a conference with WF, Duke, GT, Vandy, NW, ND, UNC, UVA, SU, MIA, Stan, Cal. BC would have no problem being in a Ivyish conference. Especially... since the next step for the SEC-B10 is going to be salaries negotiated by unions (and no meaningful academic requirements/deliverables). Leahy's move to the ACC was all about admissions having access to the growing populations of this country and affiliating with better academic institutions. BC has no interest in being Pawtucket.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:53 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

yeah, but the money spends. "oh, so i have to go 0 - 12 every year but you'll pay me $300m a year to do it? ... well then spank my ass and call me goose egg. i've got dr martha blyhope's number on speed dial"

my guess is the league builds some "minimum capacity stadium" clause into it's requirements and those that can't meet it are KICKED OUT!!!! i would guess there will be defined language that it has to be a designated stadium and soldier field/nissan stadium don't count. without something like that added to the charter, i could see it being very cost prohibitive to have to pay vandy and nw to go away (pack yer bags)

if you make it 60k then based on current stadium size you lose not only vandy and nw, but also rutgres, maryland, indiana, and minnesota (and you'd have to buy 1,500 confederate flagged folding chairs for ol' miss). i can see the baby rapist being okay with all of those falling by the wayside in favor of the clemson, fsu, domers, byu, wvu, washington, and even unc (ha!) or uva (HA!!!!)

i could also see tcu tearing down their current monstrosity and building something that meets the new capacity requirements. lots of money in ft. worth to help that to happen... and not just from mysterious strangers. then again, the horny toads have a bc level of apathy for their sports teams so, maybe not

There are enough TCU alums in Westover Hills to ensure that TCU meets whatever standards they need to meet from a program infrastructure standpoint, and even if the fan base is apathetic the Charlie Basses of the world will pony up just so they can laugh at their SMU chums over cocktails at the Shady Oaks grill room.

Also, my guess is that there will definitely be a bunch of schools chucked out of the Big 10 and a couple will be given their walking papers by the SEC as well when the numbers crunch of letting in Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, FSU, U-Dub, UNC, Clemson. We, and the rest of the dregs--unless we are rescued because some marketing idiot decides we are necessary for the Boston market and they can squeeze enough extra TV money as a result to cover our costs--will sink towards some 1AA hybrid. The worst part of this will be that we will end up playing UCONN on the regular because with slashed revenues we will be even more cost conscious in an effort to keep the program profitable. Of course, the program's margins are going to be much tighter and what profits it does make will be going to nag sports for the purpose of complying with Title IX, so say good bye to any men's sports outside of hockey and basketball with a reduction of football scholarships down to somewhere around 60 so they aren't under as much pressure to fund useless nag sports.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium