2022 Boston College Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2022 Boston College Football

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue May 10, 2022 8:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Kelvin Martin played in the Cotton Bowl?.

um, yes
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

um, yes

My bad, feel like he was there until like 94
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue May 10, 2022 9:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

um, yes

Vader may cut your other hand off now
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

um, yes

Vader may cut your other hand off now

Where does DeWalt fit in all of this? So confused.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue May 10, 2022 9:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Where does DeWalt fit in all of this?

in hansen, probably
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri May 13, 2022 1:02 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

What is a name, image and likeness company?

Basically, an exclusive rights / agency contract. NIL company X pays player Y a large up front cash payment and a promise of some % cut of sponsorship and royalty revenues, and Y assigns all advance and royalties payments and exclusive rights to license Y's NIL to Company X for 5 or 10 or 20 years. These NIL guys are basically just getting in on the ground floor for IP exploitation once the kid turns pro, and locking the kid up early on the cheap. They probably only need to hit on 1 out of 10 to make it big on the back end because the up front is peanuts compared to the advance and royalty payments over the lifetime of the exclusive rights, especially if there is a sponsorship deal in there. Good for ZF not jumping at that kind of cash, its gotta be hard for a college kid to pass that up, but its the right choice. He will have way better bargaining leverage later and make way more in the long run.

Thank you. Once a kid is drafted, does it really make a financial difference to the NIL company where he went to college(outside of winning the Heisman which Flowers is very unlikely to win unless he is on a playoff team)?

only if you believe that school predicates draft position. in some cases, that is likely an accurate position but in others less so - as with our diamond in the rough folks that have proven their ability at the next level

and hard to image one year at a different college would make that much a difference for Flowers but he would be BC's first WR drafted since...

One was an ACC school by the way
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri May 13, 2022 1:16 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

Basically, an exclusive rights / agency contract. NIL company X pays player Y a large up front cash payment and a promise of some % cut of sponsorship and royalty revenues, and Y assigns all advance and royalties payments and exclusive rights to license Y's NIL to Company X for 5 or 10 or 20 years. These NIL guys are basically just getting in on the ground floor for IP exploitation once the kid turns pro, and locking the kid up early on the cheap. They probably only need to hit on 1 out of 10 to make it big on the back end because the up front is peanuts compared to the advance and royalty payments over the lifetime of the exclusive rights, especially if there is a sponsorship deal in there. Good for ZF not jumping at that kind of cash, its gotta be hard for a college kid to pass that up, but its the right choice. He will have way better bargaining leverage later and make way more in the long run.

Thank you. Once a kid is drafted, does it really make a financial difference to the NIL company where he went to college(outside of winning the Heisman which Flowers is very unlikely to win unless he is on a playoff team)?

only if you believe that school predicates draft position. in some cases, that is likely an accurate position but in others less so - as with our diamond in the rough folks that have proven their ability at the next level

and hard to image one year at a different college would make that much a difference for Flowers but he would be BC's first WR drafted since...

This bullshit needs to stop. Conference should put a rule against it, unless student wants to sit 2 years.

I'll guess one of the scumbags in the peninsula.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 19, 2022 10:23 am

i'm here for the saban vs jimbo NIL who buys players how war :slapfight
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Thu May 19, 2022 10:32 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'm here for the saban vs jimbo NIL who buys players how war :slapfight

Jimbo's right.Saban really shouldn't want to turn over the rocks. Information wants to be free.

Thursday morning, Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher responded.

Speaking at a press conference pulled together Thursday morning, Fisher fired back at the Alabama head coach:

Jimbo: "I know how some of those guys recruit, too. Go dig into that. I know the history, I know the tradition and I know things. Trust me, you don't want to go down that avenue"
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 am

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'm here for the saban vs jimbo NIL who buys players how war :slapfight

Jimbo's right.Saban really shouldn't want to turn over the rocks. Information wants to be free.

Speaking at a press conference pulled together Thursday morning, Fisher fired back at the Alabama head coach:

Jimbo: "I know how some of those guys recruit, too. Go dig into that. I know the history, I know the tradition and I know things. Trust me, you don't want to go down that avenue"

That is a tacit admission to Saban's allegation. TAMU bought all their players. Well... sure we did... but that's just because Saban has been buying his top players for a decade. For schools outside that galaxy, it is proof that the playing field was never level.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat May 21, 2022 10:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:

That is a tacit admission to Saban's allegation. TAMU bought all their players. Well... sure we did... but that's just because Saban has been buying his top players for a decade. For schools outside that galaxy, it is proof that the playing field was never level.

Is Schiano going to land his helicopter into the middle of this fight to get some spotlight on his purchasing power? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:43 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:BC recently made 2 new hires...

Jason Tudryn, director of football recruiting
Mike Morris, director of player personnel

Steven Daniels who was previously at Bryant was hired as well it appears ... his title per twitter is "Assistant Director of Defensive Recruiting"

Good guy with a great story that will sell well to parents.

Tyler Murphy is now the Assistant Director Recruiting/Player Personnel
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:29 am

rumor on twitterati is mohagany tore his acl
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:19 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:rumor on twitterati is mohagany tore his acl

Playing BBall no less. Heard it was a tweet from someone who made a burner account, was hoping it was bullshit.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:45 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Playing BBall no less. Heard it was a tweet from someone who made a burner account, was hoping it was bullshit.

The Dazzler didn't let them play basketball.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby durkcal on Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:52 pm

I feel bad for Mahogany, and wish him a strong recovery. I guess the BC hype machine is going to be even more focused on Phil and Zay lol. I'm not a big fan of the hype stuff, but I think they should focus more on Josh DeBerry. He's proven more on the field than more highly recruited players at BC, and he has garnered a reputation nationally for his play. Or alternatively you can come up with some kind of nickname for the secondary, and work that. But DeBerry is as deserving of the individual attention as anyone in that locker room.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:46 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

This bullshit needs to stop. Conference should put a rule against it, unless student wants to sit 2 years.

and the other was SEC.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:02 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

and the other was SEC.

Probably a good idea for those types of programs to prioritize BC as a team from whom you can poach talent using the NIL. The pub was that Flowers stayed loyal, but he certainly listened closely and gave it a lot of thought. The programs just didn't kick in enough $$$ to risk moving from being the #1 target of a known quantity QB in Phil for one year.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:40 pm

It’s now official
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:47 pm

Okay year three, the put-up-or-shut-up year. We all know how Dazzler did in his year three with his recruits. Plenty of information was gathered in 2015 even if it took the school 4 more seasons (and 2 more athletic directors) to come to a rational, logical conclusion.

Hafley is now done getting a pass. No more 2-6 campaigns in ACC play Jeff. Thank you please. Go 2-6 and instead of getting in, it will be time for you to get out.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:50 am

state of the program on bc from the athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3368025/2022/06 ... -schedule/

Boston College’s Top 25 hopes rest on Phil Jurkovec, Zay Flowers and Jeff Hafley’s vision
By Pete Sampson
Jun 20, 2022

Save Article
Jeff Hafley considers himself a realist.

He didn’t arrive at Boston College two years ago as a first-time head coach with the expectation that he could make the Eagles immediate players in the ACC, after the program had spent a decade being slightly above average. The program needed a slow build more than a quick fix, although Hafley anticipated undertaking that task under more normal circumstances than the pandemic and a wave of rule changes bringing the sport into a new era.

Yet Hafley’s measured assessment of what the Eagles are (and aren’t) is why the optimism about this year’s team feels real. Boston College may not have the depth to go 12 rounds in the ACC, but it has the talent to throw punches in a league looking for a few new contenders. Clemson is no longer the gravitational force it was for much of the last decade. The rest of the league is filled with programs Boston College can come get, although Hafley needs to push the Eagles there.

“We got to take one step at a time, right? I think we need to be a Top 25 team, and turn our program into that and build consistency,” Hafley said. “But I think we can build this to a team that can get to the Top 25. Once we do that, we take our next step. We gotta do that first.”

Boston College qualified for bowl games in Hafley’s first two seasons but hasn’t actually played in one yet. The Eagles opted out of their bowl game in Hafley’s first season. Last year’s Military Bowl was canceled due to a COVID-19 outbreak on their roster. Boston College has yet to be ranked under Hafley, but it has lost two one-score games at Clemson, including last year with a backup quarterback.

The intrigue lies in what this team can be a full strength, which it already knows it won’t be in 2022. After playing much of last season without starting quarterback Phil Jurkovec, who suffered a hand injury in September, the Eagles already know they’ll be without potential All-American guard Christian Mahogany, who went down for the year with a torn ACL in June.

But Jurkovec is healthy, and star receiver Zay Flowers remains on the roster after putting off the NFL Draft and turning down reported financial inducements to transfer before his senior season. Losing Flowers was the kind of roster move Boston College couldn’t allow to happen, both for its schematic impact and its locker room message. Flowers stuck around for multiple reasons. What Boston College can be in 2022 was a significant item on that list.

“Guys can preach about being about the team, but it’s one thing to show your actions,” Hafley said. “I think it’s good for our culture. I think it’s good for the future of college football for people to see that. Because I think we’re in a very dangerous place right now. And it’s scary. And it’s disappointing. Not only with no guidelines on the rules, but how some coaches are doing things that they shouldn’t do, that are going to be maybe good for them and their team, but bad for the game of football. That’s hard for me to comprehend right now, truthfully.

“I think it says a lot when you hear a story with a guy like Zay.”

As Hafley looks ahead to this season, his star quarterback-receiver duo working with a new offensive staff, he sees the potential for Boston College to go somewhere new after two seasons of growth. That doesn’t guarantee the Eagles will get there, though the defense has improved each of his first two seasons. But Boston College has a chance.

“Are we closing the gap? We’re getting closer. But close isn’t good enough,” Hafley said. “I get it. We need to start winning some of those games. That’s the next step.”

Offense
John McNulty wasn’t entirely sure what to make of Phil Jurkovec upon arriving in Chestnut Hill last winter. The Eagles’ new offensive coordinator and returning quarterback had traveled the same path from Notre Dame to Boston College. While they didn’t overlap in South Bend, there was still enough familiarity with Jurkovec around the Notre Dame program during McNulty’s two seasons on staff that he got a mental sketch. McNulty even saw Jurkovec in person two years ago during Notre Dame’s all-ACC schedule, which included a stop at Boston College.

“The toughness, the athletic ability, the big arm. Just a winner. A guy who battled his ass off and battled to do whatever he could for his team, that jumped off the tape,” McNulty said. “What I was most impressed with when I met him is he is one of those guys that is A to Z on everything. Like, there’s no gray area, there’s no question left unasked. Like, if the back is a yard short and a half yard wide on the checkdown, immediately he’s like, ‘Is that where the back is?’ He’s very highly observant, cerebral to match that athletic ability.”

What Boston College needs most from Jurkovec is availability. A hand injury suffered in the second game of 2021 against UMass threatened to end Jurkovec’s season and still ended up severely altering it. Jurkovec missed the next six games and was a lesser version of himself when he did come back. The offense cratered as a result, ranking in the 90s in scoring, pass efficiency and yards per play.

Boston College might be a little more settled with backup Emmett Morehead, who will succeed Jurkovec next year. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound athlete got work in just two games as a freshman last season.

What attracted McNulty to Boston College wasn’t just the quarterback, it was the mature talent around him. The running back room returns its top two rushers, including 1,000-yard back Patrick Garwo. Former West Virginia transfer Alec Sinkfield returns for his second season and had a strong spring practice. Xavier Coleman played in just three games and had four carries last season, but the coaching staff likes his skill set.

The receiving corps is strong, with Flowers in the lead role. McNulty compared his usage this season to how Notre Dame used All-America tight end Michael Mayer last fall: The Eagles will force the ball to their star wideout. It’s not just smart business for McNulty; the Boston College staff wants to reward Flowers for sticking around.

“We want to make sure when he leaves here that he’s the top receiver in Boston College history,” McNulty said. “We want to make sure he’s in the Biletnikoff race. I think you owe it to those guys to do that.”

Flowers figures to be the focal point of the Eagles’ passing game. (Mark Konezny / USA Today)
Jaelen Gill is the second option and is excellent at making contested catches for Jurkovec. When it comes to a third receiver, Jaden Williams is more reliable than the 19 catches for 213 yards and three touchdowns he put up in 2021 suggest. He’s got good speed, strong hands and can play inside or outside. Redshirt freshman Lewis Bond made a good spring impression, too.

“The whole game is a perimeter game now. If you’re not operating at a high level, you’ve got no chance,” McNulty said. “You’re not going to just sit there and hand the ball off.”

McNulty added Notre Dame graduate transfer tight end George Takacs, who was stuck behind Mayer. Takacs doesn’t need to be a dynamic receiving threat for Boston College, just an honest option in the pass game to go with solid blocking skills. Joey Luchetti will work in tandem with Takacs.

The problem for Boston College is that a rebuilding job on the offensive line got much, much harder when guard Christian Mahogany tore his ACL in offseason workouts and will be lost for the year. Not only did the staff see him as a potential first-round pick, he was the only true starter returning on the offensive line.

“We’ve got to protect the quarterback better. We can’t have another year where Phil is not playing,” McNulty said. “We can do some things to get the ball out of his hands quick and let the playmakers do the work.”

Key stat to know: The book on Jurkovec upon his arrival at Boston College was he could rip the ball deep but struggled with accuracy on the short stuff, and although his 2021 season can’t be evaluated without acknowledging that hand injury he suffered against UMass, the numbers back that up. His pass efficiency on throws of 15-plus yards last season would have ranked No. 12 nationally. His pass efficiency on throws less than 15 yards would have ranked No. 108. Jurkovec’s accuracy on the shorter stuff was poor, with 21.8 percent of throws under 15 yards off target (underthrown, overthrown or wide). That percentage ranked dead last in the FBS, and no other qualified quarterback was worse than 16.1 percent in that department.

Eagles returning production
Passing yards
Jurkovec, 915
Rushing yards
Garwo, 1045
Receiving yards
Flowers, 746
OL starts
Trapilo, 2
Tackles
Arnold, 61
Tackles for loss
DeBerry, 8
Sacks
Valdez, 5
Interceptions
Two with 2
Mahogany (11 OL starts in 2021) will miss 2022 season with torn ACL.

Defense
It’s the kind of possession that haunts a defensive coordinator, which is why the details remain fresh for Tem Lukabu eight months after a 28-14 loss at Louisville. Cardinals quarterback Malik Cunningham avoiding two Boston College defenders to escape for a 14-yard gain to open the drive. A 15-yard run on third-and-1. A facemask penalty. Cunningham sprinting into the end zone from 14 yards out to cap a late 75-yard drive and put the Eagles away.

“It’s in the front of my brain,” Lukabu said. “First two plays, had an opportunity to sack them, would have forced them to punt with over two minutes. We missed at least six TFLs that drive, just on Cunningham. That’s the prime example of where we need to get better. The guys know the structure, they know what we want to do. We gotta be playmakers, that’s the bottom line.”

In theory, Boston College should be better at closing the deal this season with pressure because its defensive line should be healthier. The Eagles lost starting defensive tackle Chibueze Onwuka to a torn Achilles in the first week of training camp last August. Injuries forced them to limit the workloads of Marcus Valdez, Shitta Sillah and Donovan Ezeiruaku for stretches of last season, meaning Lukabu never quite got to play with a full deck.

Boston College cobbled together an effective defense in terms of keeping the points down — its 22.2 points allowed per game ranked third in the ACC — but the Eagles were always chasing a way to be better. They ranked No. 94 nationally in yards per carry allowed (4.53), which felt very un-Boston College like, at least under optimal health circumstances.

“We feel better about who we have up front, better than we have in the past,” Lukabu said. “I’m really curious to see how we’re going to do there because we’ve done OK with what we’ve had there. We’ve gotten there, but in order for us to take the next step, have to be more consistent and dominate on a consistent level up front.”

Onwuka, Valdez, Sillah and Ezeiruaku will all play major parts in that as Boston College hopes to play eight or nine defensive linemen regularly. Regardless of who plays and how much, the line has to produce more in those one-on-one moments where there’s a TFL or sack to grab on a key snap.

Linebacker should be steady, with the team’s top three tacklers returning in Kam Arnold, Vinny DePalma and Jaiden Woodbey, who plays more of a box safety role. Bryce Steele and Jaylen Blackwell both turned heads last season as first-year players. Both are former safeties turned linebackers.

“This is the first time where I feel like we’re going to actually be able to shrink the field from the linebacker position,” Lukabu said. “We’ve got a lot of young guys that are bringing athleticism that we need in our system and in our scheme.”

Jaiden Woodbey (9) and Elijah Jones are two of several talented returners in the second level of the BC defense. (Brian Fluharty / USA Today)
The bulk of the secondary returns, starting with safeties Woodbey and Jason Maitre, who missed much of November with an injury. Hafley believes cornerback Elijah Jones could be one of the best in the ACC, while nickel Josh DeBerry was effective in 2021. Boston College wants to see the next step from sophomore CJ Burton, a former four-star prospect who played a supporting role last season as a freshman.

The hope is that last year’s rash of injuries, which forced younger players into the lineup before they were completely ready, can be a benefit a year later. Boston College might not have a historically good individual player on defense, but it has a lot of snaps logged among the players returning.

“We want our guys to be good at everything, but that’s not the reality,” Lukabu said. “So we give them roles, especially early on and young guys, and then hopefully they mature and progress to guys that can do it all.”

Key stat to know: Boston College didn’t try to build its defense around pressure, but the Eagles still need more than what they got last season. Boston College pressured opposing quarterbacks (sacks, hits or hurries) on 25.9 percent of their dropbacks last season, with was 11th in the ACC and 88th nationally. And that was actually up from the season prior, with the Eagles’ pressure rate ranked 13th in the ACC and 97th nationally.

Special teams
Boston College held the line on special teams for the most part last season, hitting a kickoff return touchdown to put away UMass in September and doing little to no harm the rest of the way. But Travis Levy, who brought back that kick, is gone. He averaged 27.5 yards per return. There’s a good chance Jaelen Gill, a one-time Ohio State running back, will pick up that slack. A secondary option at wideout for the Eagles, Gill was a lead punt returner last fall.

Boston College did give up a 64-yard punt return touchdown in a 21-6 loss at Syracuse, a backbreaking moment during a four-game losing streak. And punter Grant Carlson must be replaced.

The Eagles should be fine at kicker, with both Connor Lytton and Danny Longman back. Lytton hit 11 of 12 field goals last season, while Longman went 2 for 2. They attempted just two field goals beyond 40 yards, but Lytton hit both.

Opposing scouting report
Boston College is one of several non-Clemson teams in the ACC trying to climb over one another before seriously challenging for a conference crown. Can the Eagles actually get to the top of the heap? One defensive coach in the ACC who faced them the past two seasons and will play them again this fall sees some quality pieces in Chestnut Hill, but perhaps not enough.

“The quarterback is big, moves well, throws well moving out of pocket, OK in the pocket,” the coach said. “The running backs are big and physical, but not gamebreakers. They pound it to set up the play action. The offensive line and tight ends are big goons that can maul you but are not overly athletic.

“Regardless of who calls the offense next year, I see the same philosophy on offense.”

Boston College revamped most of its offensive coaching staff, hiring John McNulty as coordinator. How McNulty uses quarterback Phil Jurkovec will likely set the season’s course. But another critical factor will be how he maximizes Zay Flowers.

“Zay Flowers is a must-double,” the ACC coach said, adding that his team did double Flowers every play. “Explosive, great hands, electric with ball in his hands. The offense revolves around him.”

Making head coach Jeff Hafley’s point for him, the defensive coach said Boston College’s lack of depth caught up to it in ACC play.

“We kicked their ass,” the coach said. “They were banged up really bad and were a shell of themselves when we played. We were also banged up. We were the better team, but not by that much.”

How the Eagles recruited from 2019 to 2022

The recruiting operation Hafley inherited had fallen down the ACC ladder. Steve Addazio’s penultimate class ranked 13th in the ACC and 64th nationally, meaning the Eagles were getting out-recruited by multiple Group of 5 programs. The bridge class after the hire of Hafley wasn’t much better, ranked No. 11 in the conference and No. 61 nationally. Those two classes had just two four-star prospects between them. Boston College has typically been a strong developmental program, but the incoming material had dropped off.

Things improved immediately once Hafley got settled.

With an NFL background and Ohio State recruiting experience at his back, Hafley signed two four-star prospects in his first class, which finished No. 37 nationally and No. 8 in the ACC. This year’s freshman class, which includes another two four-star prospects, ranked No. 6 in the ACC and No. 40 nationally. The group included three-star cornerback Amari Jackson, who turned down Tennessee, and four-star wideout Joseph Griffin Jr., who had offers from Notre Dame and Virginia.

“My philosophy is go fight the fight,” Hafley said. “Don’t just go after the guys you think you can get. And don’t be afraid to have more losses than wins because you only need so many. And it’s going to take a lot of hard work and a lot of effort. But that’s kind of been the philosophy behind it.”

Boston College signed prospects from 12 states in each of the past two classes, a product of Hafley’s belief the Eagles can be a national brand with high academics and Boston in the background. With another few cycles like the past two, there’s optimism around Boston College that the Eagles will have depth to better compete in the ACC.

In the transfer portal
One benefit of hiring Notre Dame’s former tight ends coach as BC’s offensive coordinator was McNulty’s knowledge of Notre Dame’s tight ends. That helped Boston College add George Takacs, a former four-star prospect who was stuck behind All-American Michael Mayer in South Bend but should be an every-down player in Chestnut Hill. Takacs was a blocking-first tight end for Notre Dame, but mostly because the ball needed to go to Mayer. He finished his Irish career with eight catches for 78 yards and two touchdowns, playing in 29 games. Receiver Dino Tomlin, the son of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, transferred in from Maryland. Defensive lineman Regen Terry joined the program from Arizona.

Outgoing transfers included cornerback Shawn Asbury (Old Dominion), receiver Kobay White (James Madison), linebacker Hugh Davis (Louisiana Tech), defensive back Jahmin Muse (Buffalo), linebacker Joe Sparacio (Eastern Michigan) and safety Deon Jones (James Madison).

There might not be a Phil Jurkovec or Jaiden Woodbey incoming as a big-name transfer, but Boston College did fill a hole at tight end while adding depth at the skill spots.

Hafley comes from a defensive background but has an offensive staff overhaul on his hands this year. (Winslow Townson / USA Today)
Impact of coaching changes
Almost the entire offensive staff turned over, starting at coordinator where McNulty takes over for Frank Cignetti, who made a lateral move to Pittsburgh. McNulty’s staff will be rounded out by running backs coach Savon Huggins, offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and receivers coach Darrell Wyatt.

Huggins, who was a top-100 prospect a decade ago before signing with Rutgers, will be in his first year as a Power 5 assistant. Wyatt and DeGuglielmo are much more experienced. Wyatt spent the last five seasons as receivers coach at UCF, with previous stops at Oklahoma and Texas. DeGuglielmo spent last year at Louisiana Tech but was a NFL mainstay before that, including stints with the Giants, Dolphins, Colts, Chargers, Patriots and Jets during the previous decade.

“I wanted to change because I don’t think it was good enough,” Hafley said. “That’s on me as the head coach. There’s stuff I want to keep in there and stuff that’s gonna look the same. But then there’s other things that are really important to me. And I know John felt the same way. And I want John to get creative and do what he knows best as well. So I think you’ll kind of see a good blend.”

Schedule
Sept. 3
Rutgers
Home
Sept. 10
Virginia Tech
Away
Sept. 17
Maine
Home
Sept. 24
Florida State
Away
Oct. 1
Louisville
Home
Oct. 8
Clemson
Home
Oct. 22
Wake Forest
Away
Oct. 29
UConn
Away
Nov. 4
Duke
Home
Nov. 12
NC State
Away
Nov. 19
Notre Dame
Away
Nov. 26
Syracuse
Home
Final assessment
Boston College feels like a program on the rise, even if the record so far under Hafley doesn’t make that obvious. The Eagles have qualified for bowls in each of Hafley’s two seasons, but they have yet to actually play in one amid college football’s COVID-impacted postseason. Optimism abounds in the summer, but it doesn’t take a squint to see Boston College as ready to take a step beyond the six- or seven-win finishes it has landed at in eight of the last nine seasons.

A potential NFL quarterback is a great place for any team to start. A future pro at receiver helps, too. So does a rising star at defensive coordinator working under a similarly highly regarded head coach. Boston College might not be ready to challenge for the ACC title, but if the Eagles avoid injury this season they can finish in the Top 25. And if that happens, evidence of progress will be obvious to all.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Key stat to know: The book on Jurkovec upon his arrival at Boston College was he could rip the ball deep but struggled with accuracy on the short stuff, and although his 2021 season can’t be evaluated without acknowledging that hand injury he suffered against UMass, the numbers back that up. His pass efficiency on throws of 15-plus yards last season would have ranked No. 12 nationally. His pass efficiency on throws less than 15 yards would have ranked No. 108. Jurkovec’s accuracy on the shorter stuff was poor, with 21.8 percent of throws under 15 yards off target (underthrown, overthrown or wide). That percentage ranked dead last in the FBS, and no other qualified quarterback was worse than 16.1 percent in that department.

This was tee'd up for a former poster.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

This was tee'd up for a former poster.

bani?

terps4lyfe?

zahmhall?

campion?

bigpete?

tobsux?

talon?

innocent bystander?

submarine hale?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:40 pm

Getting back home after being away, I saw BetMGM last night was paying +110 for BC to finish > 6.5 wins, vs. -130 for < 6.5. At first I thought that's way underrating BC, but I made a more modest bet as I thought about the offensive line. I'm wondering what you all are thinking--especially as many have better info & insight.

It seems the Mahoganyless offensive line, namely its impact on Jurkovec's presence/play, will determine how the season goes. It seemed to me like the line underachieved these past two years, but evidently the NFL disagrees if Applebaum was hired to coach Miami's unit. DuGuglielmo's career path seems like it's been declining since the Patriots fired him. Same goes for McNulty for that matter.

Hafley was obviously very disappointed Cignetti's offense couldn't withstand Jurkovec's injury more effectively, and going forward it seems he really wanted NFL experience leading the offense/QB and the line. I wish I knew and understood more about the dynamics with the line. I feel like Lindstrom in particular was overrated. On the other hand I thought Mahogany was their second-best offensive lineman (given Vrabel's injuries). I'd hate to rely upon Conley as the LT unless he's increased his quickness substantially without losing strength. In the end I hope there's a ton of quiet work going on now, both in conditioning and in understanding the schemes and calls.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:40 pm

I think 6 is the number for this season again barring an amazing year by the offensive line or D which I dont see.

Too many toss up games they can lose.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:15 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I think 6 is the number for this season again barring an amazing year by the offensive line or D which I dont see.

does this assume more broken glass or are your 6 with phil going wire to wire?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I think 6 is the number for this season again barring an amazing year by the offensive line or D which I dont see.

Wire to wire, but dont think it makes much of a difference. Maybe a full year gets us to 7.

I have been BCed after the Spaz years and dont have much confidence.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:10 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Wire to wire, but dont think it makes much of a difference. Maybe a full year gets us to 7.

yes, but that's why THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!! that one game turns an under into an over
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:43 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:It seems the Mahoganyless offensive line, namely its impact on Jurkovec's presence/play, will determine how the season goes. It seemed to me like the line underachieved these past two years, but evidently the NFL disagrees if Applebaum was hired to coach Miami's unit. DuGuglielmo's career path seems like it's been declining since the Patriots fired him. Same goes for McNulty for that matter.

Hafley was obviously very disappointed Cignetti's offense couldn't withstand Jurkovec's injury more effectively, and going forward it seems he really wanted NFL experience leading the offense/QB and the line. I wish I knew and understood more about the dynamics with the line. I feel like Lindstrom in particular was overrated. On the other hand I thought Mahogany was their second-best offensive lineman (given Vrabel's injuries). I'd hate to rely upon Conley as the LT unless he's increased his quickness substantially without losing strength. In the end I hope there's a ton of quiet work going on now, both in conditioning and in understanding the schemes and calls.

Cline is the 5th starter, not sure if OT or OG and not sure if the staff knows yet either.
One of the staff's biggest concerns going into the 2022 season was the depth of the interior OL. They offered two mid-majors (Charlotte U and the other from the midwest) from The Portal to provide depth. And then Mahogany got hurt. Funny that we haven't brought in a transfer as it is much more appealing now that we are down a starter.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:51 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

yes, but that's why THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!! that one game turns an under into an over

Yeah, but why throw your money at a coin toss? There are better bets out there.

And maybe gets you to 7 is still a 6.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium