2022 Boston College Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2022 Boston College Football

Postby hansen on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:DBs and OL will be fine.

How did DL look? What did you see from OL?

I find the end zone view to be the best for judging the line play. Curious what you saw (assuming you were sitting in the EO section).
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:28 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

I find the end zone view to be the best for judging the line play. Curious what you saw (assuming you were sitting in the EO section).

The line was Conley, Trapilo, Kendall, Mahogany and I can't remember. They will be fine.

BC has good WRs. Thus DBs playing well bodes well.

I saw the DL get a few outside pressures that never would have been sacks were it not 2 hand touch.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

The line was Conley, Trapilo, Kendall, Mahogany and I can't remember. They will be fine.

Dirstine
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:52 pm

OL left to right:

Conley-Dirstine-Kendall-Mahogony-Trapilo
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:13 am

Bunratty {l Wrote}:OL left to right:

Conley-Dirstine-Kendall-Mahogony-Trapilo

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Sheila Boyd on Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:74 was on crutches.

He got off easy.
Sheila Boyd
n00b

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:49 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun May 01, 2022 5:04 pm

alleged player incoming via transfer portal, ex Michigan, Jr DB. Went to Bergen Catholic.
https://twitter.com/LocksOnly11/status/ ... 8838609920

https://mgoblue.com/sports/football/ros ... rant/23091
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 05, 2022 6:34 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... s-transfer

Yeah… this upcoming season was almost very different.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu May 05, 2022 9:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33860761/why-boston-college-football-star-zay-flowers-turned-big-money-offers-transfer

Hopefully the BC NIL package includes insurance. I am glad he is staying and I am glad the NIL is such a mess. It is a bandaid covering up a real system. Start paying these guys a contracted salary.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu May 05, 2022 9:10 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33860761/why-boston-college-football-star-zay-flowers-turned-big-money-offers-transfer

Hopefully the BC NIL package includes insurance. I am glad he is staying and I am glad the NIL is such a mess. It is a bandaid covering up a real system. Start paying these guys a contracted salary.

Then they would be employees and then there might be unions etc.

NIL is a trainwreck… college football needs less money involved in it, NIL just made that bad problem even worse.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri May 06, 2022 5:54 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

NIL is a trainwreck… college football needs less money involved in it, NIL just made that bad problem even worse.

I know. That is how it should be. It is one thing to be a XC runner or swimmer or something, but these guys are minor league players.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 06, 2022 7:02 am

the ncaa and these colleges only have themselves to blame

allocating how many bagels a kid can have per day and limiting which schools they can go to all the while the coaches make 7+ figures annually
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri May 06, 2022 7:22 am

Gene Smith is right... FB is the sport that needs to be handled differently from the others. The others can stay in the NCAA. There is no money in them. There is the small exception for Men's basketball, but that sport is making less and less money and could see a dramatic drop in talent as the NBA Minor League gears up and the rules requiring multi-year college attendance kick-in. If you remove football from the equation, college athletics is a massive money loser. You can argue ancillary benefits with regard to marketing and school pride and their potential effects on applications and alumni donations. But, from a cold balance sheet perspective... college sports is a financial drain.

Football is different. There is money there. Every argument about paying players and pointing to disparities in coaching salaries... will involve FB. You can't make effective rules for all horses when you are also dealing with flying unicorns.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 06, 2022 9:07 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I know. That is how it should be. It is one thing to be a XC runner or swimmer or something, but these guys are minor league players.

Might not be much NIL money in men's olympic sports (or maybe there is, I dont know) but the women are chasing serious bags (they rack up large follower counts wearing their skimpy clothes and parlay that into serious TikTok/insta dollars) best exemplified by that LSU gymnast who's making millions. That said, the infusion of money into college athelatics is gross. I'd rather there just create a minor league football system but they won't do it because there is no money in it (if there was, minor league hockey and baseball would be minting millionaire players and owners). The school brands are the economic drivers and for that reason they are the ones that dictate that coaches get paid and athletes get shit. Is it fair? no, probably not but due to the laws of supply and demand, amateurism, etc. I'm fine with it.
Last edited by hansen on Fri May 06, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 06, 2022 9:11 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:the ncaa and these colleges only have themselves to blame

allocating how many bagels a kid can have per day and limiting which schools they can go to all the while the coaches make 7+ figures annually

The NCAA's goal was noble but like any bureaucracy, it's implementation of its goal was clumsy and overbearing.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 06, 2022 9:14 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Gene Smith is right... FB is the sport that needs to be handled differently from the others. The others can stay in the NCAA. There is no money in them. There is the small exception for Men's basketball, but that sport is making less and less money and could see a dramatic drop in talent as the NBA Minor League gears up and the rules requiring multi-year college attendance kick-in. If you remove football from the equation, college athletics is a massive money loser. You can argue ancillary benefits with regard to marketing and school pride and their potential effects on applications and alumni donations. But, from a cold balance sheet perspective... college sports is a financial drain.

Football is different. There is money there. Every argument about paying players and pointing to disparities in coaching salaries... will involve FB. You can't make effective rules for all horses when you are also dealing with flying unicorns.

I think there is significant movement toward this although I'm not sure it will solve the problem.

At this point, I think only government regulation will "solve" it, and by "solve" I mean make all parties (university presidents, ADs, coaches, football players) completely unhappy with the outcome.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Fri May 06, 2022 12:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Gene Smith is right... FB is the sport that needs to be handled differently from the others. The others can stay in the NCAA. There is no money in them. There is the small exception for Men's basketball, but that sport is making less and less money and could see a dramatic drop in talent as the NBA Minor League gears up and the rules requiring multi-year college attendance kick-in. If you remove football from the equation, college athletics is a massive money loser. You can argue ancillary benefits with regard to marketing and school pride and their potential effects on applications and alumni donations. But, from a cold balance sheet perspective... college sports is a financial drain.

Do you think college hockey will be affected by NIL? And, if so, will BC be ahead or behind the curve?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri May 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Do you think college hockey will be affected by NIL? And, if so, will BC be ahead or behind the curve?

i honestly think the ahead/behind the curve depends on who we sign as a coach
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat May 07, 2022 11:35 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

2 other guys also got offered $ to transfer.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sat May 07, 2022 1:04 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Jurkovec and Mahoghany?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue May 10, 2022 12:22 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Jurkovec and Mahoghany?

Correct. Well done Hanson
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue May 10, 2022 12:40 pm

was the jurkovec money backed by ads for safelite?

glass phil repaired, safelite replaced
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Flowers "told ESPN this week that in the three or four days prior to the May 1 portal deadline, he received multiple six-figure offers via intermediaries from name, image and likeness companies to enter the portal and transfer. He said he was told NIL companies would give him $600,000 to transfer to one school and there was another deal that would give him $300,000 to go to a different school."

What is a name, image and likeness company?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Bumpers on Tue May 10, 2022 2:36 pm

Basically, an exclusive rights / agency contract. NIL company X pays player Y a large up front cash payment and a promise of some % cut of sponsorship and royalty revenues, and Y assigns all advance and royalties payments and exclusive rights to license Y's NIL to Company X for 5 or 10 or 20 years. These NIL guys are basically just getting in on the ground floor for IP exploitation once the kid turns pro, and locking the kid up early on the cheap. They probably only need to hit on 1 out of 10 to make it big on the back end because the up front is peanuts compared to the advance and royalty payments over the lifetime of the exclusive rights, especially if there is a sponsorship deal in there. Good for ZF not jumping at that kind of cash, its gotta be hard for a college kid to pass that up, but its the right choice. He will have way better bargaining leverage later and make way more in the long run.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue May 10, 2022 3:12 pm

Bumpers {l Wrote}:

Basically, an exclusive rights / agency contract. NIL company X pays player Y a large up front cash payment and a promise of some % cut of sponsorship and royalty revenues, and Y assigns all advance and royalties payments and exclusive rights to license Y's NIL to Company X for 5 or 10 or 20 years. These NIL guys are basically just getting in on the ground floor for IP exploitation once the kid turns pro, and locking the kid up early on the cheap. They probably only need to hit on 1 out of 10 to make it big on the back end because the up front is peanuts compared to the advance and royalty payments over the lifetime of the exclusive rights, especially if there is a sponsorship deal in there. Good for ZF not jumping at that kind of cash, its gotta be hard for a college kid to pass that up, but its the right choice. He will have way better bargaining leverage later and make way more in the long run.

Thank you. Once a kid is drafted, does it really make a financial difference to the NIL company where he went to college (outside of winning the Heisman which Flowers is very unlikely to win unless he is on a playoff team)?
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Tue May 10, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue May 10, 2022 3:17 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

Thank you. Once a kid is drafted, does it really make a financial difference to the NIL company where he went to college?

only if you believe that school predicates draft position. in some cases, that is likely an accurate position but in others less so - as with our diamond in the rough folks that have proven their ability at the next level
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue May 10, 2022 3:22 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

Thank you. Once a kid is drafted, does it really make a financial difference to the NIL company where he went to college(outside of winning the Heisman which Flowers is very unlikely to win unless he is on a playoff team)?

only if you believe that school predicates draft position. in some cases, that is likely an accurate position but in others less so - as with our diamond in the rough folks that have proven their ability at the next level

and hard to image one year at a different college would make that much a difference for Flowers but he would be BC's first WR drafted since...
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue May 10, 2022 3:46 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

Thank you. Once a kid is drafted, does it really make a financial difference to the NIL company where he went to college(outside of winning the Heisman which Flowers is very unlikely to win unless he is on a playoff team)?

and hard to image one year at a different college would make that much a difference for Flowers but he would be BC's first WR drafted since...

The last BC WR drafted played in the Cotton Bowl with Flutie.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Kelvin Martin played in the Cotton Bowl?

Consider me shocked Anthony DiCosmo did not get drafted.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium