York Retiring

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

York Retiring

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:52 pm

Figured it deserved its own thread.

Jerry York '67, the winningest coach in NCAA hockey history, five-time NCAA champion, National Hockey League and U.S. Hockey hall of famer, and beloved Boston College ambassador and University citizen, has announced his retirement after 50 years of Division I coaching and 28 years as coach of the Eagles.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Re: York Retiring

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:52 pm

Jerry York, the winningest coach in NCAA hockey history, five-time NCAA champion, National Hockey League and U.S. Hockey hall of famer, and beloved Boston College ambassador and University citizen, has announced his retirement after 50 years of Division I coaching, including 28 years as coach of the Eagles.

York, 76, met with his coaches and players today to inform them of his decision which, he said, was based on a desire to travel more with his wife, Bobbie, play golf for the first time during a weekend in the fall, spend more time with his family, and watch his two grandchildren play hockey, lacrosse, and soccer games in Pittsburgh.

“I have been thinking about the possibility of retiring during the past several weeks and it just seemed to me to be the right time to do so,” said York. “I am so blessed to have been involved with Boston College these past 28 years and to have had the opportunity to coach so many wonderful student-athletes.”

William V. Campbell Director of Athletics Patrick Kraft praised York for his unparalleled contributions to Boston College and the sport of hockey.

“It is difficult to put into words all that Jerry York means to Boston College,” said Kraft. “His record as the winningest coach in NCAA men’s ice hockey and BC hockey speak for themselves, but it is his humility, decency, unwavering commitment to his players, fellow coaches, and all of us in the BC family, and the quiet ways in which he contributes to this community that make him so beloved. He is a legend and one of the classiest individuals to ever coach in college sports. It has been a joy to work with him, and on behalf of all of us in the BC community I wish him, Bobbie, and his entire family the very best in his retirement years.”

York, the Schiller Family Head Hockey Coach, was hired at Boston College in 1994 after coaching for 15 years at Bowling Green University (1979-1994) where he won the national championship in 1984. He began his head coaching career at Clarkson University at the age of 27, leading the Golden Knights from 1972-1979.

One of only three coaches in NCAA history to win an NCAA championship at two different schools, York led BC to the national title in 2001, 2008, 2010, and 2012. On December 29, 2012, he became the all-time winningest coach in college hockey, passing Michigan State’s Ron Mason. He finishes his career with 1,123 wins—including a record-setting 41 NCAA tournament victories. York coached the Eagles to nine Hockey East Tournament titles and 12 regular season championships, including at least a share of five of the last seven league titles. He was named Hockey East Coach of the Year in 2004, 2011, 2014, 2018, and most recently in 2021, and won the Spencer Penrose trophy as NCAA Division I Coach of the Year in 1977.

Known as a caring mentor who was ever willing to support his players during and after their time at BC, York coached four Hobey Baker Award winners (given to college hockey’s best player), 17 NHL first-round draft picks, 12 Stanley Cup champions, and scores of players who went on to successful careers in the NHL. He also coached multiple Olympians and mentored dozens of individuals who went on to serve as NHL coaches, general managers, and presidents of hockey operations. His reputation for treating all of his players equally and holding them to the highest standard on and off the ice solidified his standing throughout the sporting world and endeared him to generations of hockey players and their families, whether in Potsdam, NY; Bowling Green, Ohio; or in Chestnut Hill.

A star player at Boston College High School before coming to the Heights to play for Coach John “Snooks” Kelley, York was named First-Team All-America in 1967 and won the Walter Brown Award for the top American-born player in New England that same year. He scored 134 points as a player (84 goals, 70 assists) and led the Eagles to a 60-29 record, the 1965 Beanpot title, and a second-place finish in the 1965 NCAA Tournament.

“The highlight of my career was on June 15, 1994, when BC President J. Donald Monan, S.J., and Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk invited me to meet with them at BC,” said York. “We toured the campus, and later that evening Fr. Monan invited me to his office in Botolph House to talk. ‘I want you to be the next hockey coach at BC,’ he said. ‘I know you will make us proud.’ It has been an honor to serve my alma mater, to work for Fr. Monan and Fr. Leahy, and to coach with so many terrific assistants and fellow BC coaches. I leave knowing that it is the right time to go. The book hasn’t closed, but it is time for me to start a new chapter.”

Jack Dunn | University Communications | April 2022
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:01 pm

deleting mine.

Greg Brown -170
Cav +150
Field +230
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:deleting mine.

Greg Brown -170
Cav +150
Field +230

Sorry Claver, it was yours to post, I didnt see you posted.

I think Brown is the favorite. My question is who do you want?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:28 pm

OK here we go. Much needed change for the program. But pretty crazy to see the GOAT finally retire.

Brown 2/1
Cavanaugh 3/1 (I'd imagine Yukon is drafting up lawsuits about this as we speak)
Dennehy 5/1
Scott Gordon 10/1
Carvel/Leaman/Bazin 20/1
Ayers 25/1
Orpik 40/1
Jeff Giuliano 45/1

Others:
Mullen 45/1
Guerin 45/1
McInnis 50/1
Buckley 50/1

Anyone that says Ben Eaves should be punched in the face until loss of consciousness and then have their chromosomes checked for some extra genetic material. Hastings will get a call to cross his name off the list; he's not an Eastern guy although you could argue that's not that relevant anymore with the rise of the USHL/USNTDP and slide in local prep circuit as a result. I still don't think he'll be a factor in this.

The right hire will have this program running again in 2 seasons. The wrong one will set us back a decade. We just hit the 10-year anniversary of our last postseason trophy. I'd hope York is allowed to make the choice of his successor basically or it will be given infinite weight when all is said and done. We've finally seen some good personnel decisions but I still don't trust BC.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:27 pm

Brown is the obvious and easy choice. But, so was Eisley. I’m still on the “Win With Quinn” train. I think a guy like Kraft sees someone like Quinn who was already wildly successful replacing a legend, has every tie possible to USHL and is currently available.

Beyond that, I can see Kraft relying heavily on York since all the names on your list are former players, assistants or folks York coached against. That said, if York doesn’t want to get involved in picking his successor, and donors block Quinn… I see Kraft trying to follow the model of the current Natl Champ and hire a super young coach (which means a Grant-like outta left field kinda thing).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:56 pm

The big secret is 5 years too late.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The big secret is 5 years too late.

Agreed, but I think everyone thought he would turn it around and the game just changed on him.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:52 am

eh he had earned the right to leave on his terms. he made the tournament last year and the -_- virus year they won the conf and were in line for a 1 seed

brown or cav would be fine. for cav to get yukon where he has given high school level facilities is pretty impressive.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

eh he had earned the right to leave on his terms. he made the tournament last year and the -_- virus year they won the conf and were in line for a 1 seed

brown or cav would be fine. for cav to get yukon where he has given high school level facilities is pretty impressive.

I didn't say he wasn't entitled to stay. I said he waited 5 years too long to leave. No one suggested pushing him out. Hockey's Coach K.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:33 am

Bring him home.

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:00 am

York isn't hockey's Coach K because he isn't a colossal douchebag and poor sport. The fact that he left with little fanfare is a further testament to his character. As for whether he hung on too long, I am reevaluating that position. The team that lost the year to Covid looked a lot like a title contender and the team that followed looked very good at times, but probably was done in by the continuing disruptions of Covid.

I do not see anyway in hell that BC hires Quinn. You simply can't hire a BU guy. They could go outside the BC family, but it would not be a BU guy. Besides which, most of the chatter around Quinn at BU was that he was a strong recruiter--aided by Albie O'Connell, who was a spectacular recruiting assistant--but a terrible X and O guy and talent developer. That was on full display during his remarkably terrible run with the Rangers.

My guess is that it is Brown. He has done an admirable job with Dubuque in the USHL. They've already clinched a first round playoff bye and are neck and neck with Chicago for 1st place in the Eastern Conference. With that said, it can't be denied that BC dropped off after Kav left and Brown became the primary assistant, which is concerning. If it isn't Brown, would BC go after Greg Carvel? He'd make sense as an outsider, plus it hurts the UMASS program which is a plus. And hockey is one sport where BC is a baby rapist and can big time other programs not named Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, UND, Michigan and a couple of others.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:50 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:York isn't hockey's Coach K because he isn't a colossal douchebag and poor sport. The fact that he left with little fanfare is a further testament to his character. As for whether he hung on too long, I am reevaluating that position. The team that lost the year to Covid looked a lot like a title contender and the team that followed looked very good at times, but probably was done in by the continuing disruptions of Covid.

I do not see anyway in hell that BC hires Quinn. You simply can't hire a BU guy. They could go outside the BC family, but it would not be a BU guy. Besides which, most of the chatter around Quinn at BU was that he was a strong recruiter--aided by Albie O'Connell, who was a spectacular recruiting assistant--but a terrible X and O guy and talent developer. That was on full display during his remarkably terrible run with the Rangers.

My guess is that it is Brown. He has done an admirable job with Dubuque in the USHL. They've already clinched a first round playoff bye and are neck and neck with Chicago for 1st place in the Eastern Conference. With that said, it can't be denied that BC dropped off after Kav left and Brown became the primary assistant, which is concerning. If it isn't Brown, would BC go after Greg Carvel? He'd make sense as an outsider, plus it hurts the UMASS program which is a plus. And hockey is one sport where BC is a baby rapist and can big time other programs not named Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, UND, Michigan and a couple of others.

I was talking solely results. If a coach wins that many games I don't care if he is a colossal d-bag, as Coach K most certainly is. I was simply comparing results.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Manny on Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:33 pm

The king. I have followed hockey a little bit less every year for the last 10 years or so, but in my book no one will ever do it better. I assume they'll throw his name on some campus facility shortly, but they might as well put it on everything, and the term "BC Guy" should perhaps be retired along with him.

Howevah - Did no one tell him that you're supposed to announce this a year in advance so everyone will talk about nothing but you the whole season, even in games between two other teams? You can even get mad when a rival doesn't sufficiently honor you before a game! Gotta grip that spotlight with both hands white-knuckled for as long as possible.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:02 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:York isn't hockey's Coach K because he isn't a colossal douchebag and poor sport. The fact that he left with little fanfare is a further testament to his character. As for whether he hung on too long, I am reevaluating that position. The team that lost the year to Covid looked a lot like a title contender and the team that followed looked very good at times, but probably was done in by the continuing disruptions of Covid.

Would we replace the on campus friendly's with a carvel kiosk??? If you attend a shut out the students get a free cookie puss? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:06 am

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:09 am

cav pulled out of search

@BCHockeyBlogger
I’m hearing from sources that there was real interest between BC and Cav- he interviewed on Monday and has lots of supporters in the BC admin. UConn stepped up with an enhanced offer. Would be very, very surprised if Brown isn’t the next coach.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:29 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:cav pulled out of search

@BCHockeyBlogger
I’m hearing from sources that there was real interest between BC and Cav- he interviewed on Monday and has lots of supporters in the BC admin. UConn stepped up with an enhanced offer. Would be very, very surprised if Brown isn’t the next coach.

Cav was always going to be a back up choice, and while he may have had some alumni support, the overwhelming push is for Brown and keeping the head coaching position in the hands of a BC alum. I have been told by someone I trust and who seems to be plugged in that if it were not a BC alum, Cav would have been competing against a couple of big name, outside candidates, who have much better HC resumes than Cav.

The Dubuque job has been a stepping stone for bigger and better things going back to Montgomery. Brown appears to be the next in line to move from the Saints to a big college job.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:26 am

Limiting the coaching pool with the alum requirement (or strong preference) is stupid. Hire the best person for the job. That may still be Brown but, if that was the process (Dick's track record is...spotty) for a premier college job, it's a dumb process.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:32 am

agreed - we should just go hire a guy with 1 year of coaching experience at fordham or something
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:06 pm

Pete Genesi is a former Fordham player. Hard to see him giving up on Rose Hill or the comforts afforded a life long Toughchester resident.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:44 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Limiting the coaching pool with the alum requirement (or strong preference) is stupid. Hire the best person for the job. That may still be Brown but, if that was the process (Dick's track record is...spotty) for a premier college job, it's a dumb process.

Maybe, but the Milbury experiment was an eye opener for a lot of the whale pants crowd. The downside with Brown is whether this is a Cedarchuk situation, where a good assistant meets the Peter Principle when it comes to running a program. His success in Dubuque alleviates that concern a bit, but is clearly not dispositive.

Also, because Elvii lacks reading comprehension, I said that Brown was the favorite, but there were other candidates being considered, including outside of the BC alum bubble. What I actually said was those candidates had better HC resumes than Cav and thus, Cav was never going to get the job whether it is Brown (the most likely occurrence) or if they go for an outsider--and they have reached out to Carvel and Army (not sure if Bazin was also contacted). He would have been the 3rd or 4th choice and since it didn't seem likely that all of those ahead of him would turn BC down, he took himself out of the process.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:25 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Limiting the coaching pool with the alum requirement (or strong preference) is stupid. Hire the best person for the job. That may still be Brown but, if that was the process (Dick's track record is...spotty) for a premier college job, it's a dumb process.

Maybe, but the Milbury experiment was an eye opener for a lot of the whale pants crowd. The downside with Brown is whether this is a Cedarchuk situation, where a good assistant meets the Peter Principle when it comes to running a program. His success in Dubuque alleviates that concern a bit, but is clearly not dispositive.

Also, because Elvii lacks reading comprehension, I said that Brown was the favorite, but there were other candidates being considered, including outside of the BC alum bubble. What I actually said was those candidates had better HC resumes than Cav and thus, Cav was never going to get the job whether it is Brown (the most likely occurrence) or if they go for an outsider--and they have reached out to Carvel and Army (not sure if Bazin was also contacted). He would have been the 3rd or 4th choice and since it didn't seem likely that all of those ahead of him would turn BC down, he took himself out of the process.

basically, the old patron saint of rapists move
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:42 am

You realize we can read what you originally posted? Because it’s not the above. Just say you were unclear and call it a day.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:36 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

You realize we can read what you originally posted? Because it’s not the above. Just say you were unclear and call it a day.

I can't help you if you can't read, but I am sure your locality provides services.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:55 pm

private flight from dubuque to bc yesterday am :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:56 pm

Spoke to someone who is good friends with Brown and tied into the college hockey world … said Brown would (obv) take it if offered, did not mention anything re: recent flights. Cav said not interested (for various reasons but having follow York, less pressure, feels like hes building something from ground up and the benefits he gets in a few years of being employed with the state are a factor i.e. health insurance for life after a certain threshold). Also said they interviewed Eric Lang at AIC (apparently that was never made public and no info on how serious a candidate he is).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 05, 2022 10:56 am

leaman successfully parlayed the interview into another extension.

another flight from dubuque flew in and out of bc this week
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu May 05, 2022 11:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:leaman successfully parlayed the interview into another extension.

another flight from dubuque flew in and out of bc this week

Not a surprise. From what I’ve heard, Leaman isn’t a very likable person, and many accounts are saying that he will have his eyes on the NHL sooner rather than later.

Brown would probably consider BC to be a long-term destination, he is known for having a personality like Jerry’s, and he gets what it takes to work at BC (and deal with the unique culture, including penny-pinching). He’ll just need an assistant to fulfill the hard-ass role that Cav had.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 06, 2022 12:56 pm

Brown official

edit: confirmed by bc as well

https://twitter.com/BC_MHockey/status/1 ... 8774996995
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy