Mara Family vs Brian Flores

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Mara Family vs Brian Flores

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:06 pm

BC Guy vs BC Guys.

I am surprised this has not been brought up before on this board. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Re: Mara Family vs Brian Flores

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:24 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:BC Guy vs BC Guys.

If the Giants already complied with the Rooney rule why did they bother bringing Flores for an in-person?

Flores going scorched earth probably cost him a job offer. In my opinion. Did he get bad advice? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:29 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

If the Giants already complied with the Rooney rule why did they bother bringing Flores for an in-person?

Flores going scorched earth probably cost him a job offer. In my opinion. Did he get bad advice? :ace

I generally believe Flores was given bad legal advice however the Maras are getting an awful lot of benefit of the doubt for having been among the most incompetent NFL owners for the last decade
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:34 am

the mcnairs are challenging the maras
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:45 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I generally believe Flores was given bad legal advice however the Maras are getting an awful lot of benefit of the doubt for having been among the most incompetent NFL owners for the last decade

Agree, some greedy scumbag lawyer thought the current political cycle would help a millionaire win a shitty case vs a billionaire. Bad move. He had a bright future ahead of him. I would have 2nd thoughts about hiring him as even a D-line coach.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:33 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Agree, some greedy scumbag lawyer thought the current political cycle would help a millionaire win a shitty case vs a billionaire. Bad move. He had a bright future ahead of him. I would have 2nd thoughts about hiring him as even a D-line coach.

Why? He's a really good coach. Having second thoughts about hiring him is proving his point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:09 pm

Whether or not you think these programs are a good idea, the practice of the NFL flies in the face of their stated goal. Decorating the interviewing process with black guys who will never be hired is worse than having a no black guy policy. If the NFL simply said they don't hire black guys, then at least it is honest. The current policy is a lie and worse yet, it requires the black guys to participate in the lie.

It is a shame that it has come to this, but I respect the hell out of Flores for taking a stand. His career is ruined in the NFL, but maybe it do some good.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:53 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Whether or not you think these programs are a good idea, the practice of the NFL flies in the face of their stated goal. Decorating the interviewing process with black guys who will never be hired is worse than having a no black guy policy. If the NFL simply said they don't hire black guys, then at least it is honest. The current policy is a lie and worse yet, it requires the black guys to participate in the lie.

It is a shame that it has come to this, but I respect the hell out of Flores for taking a stand. His career is ruined in the NFL, but maybe it do some good.

It says they have to interview a black head coach, not hire. The process is good too, it give people experience in the entire process and whats expected and how to interview.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Why? He's a really good coach. Having second thoughts about hiring him is proving his point.

Why is that proving his point? I would have hired him in a second before he filed the lawsuit and showed himself to be an untrustworthy sneak. The second thoughts are about him being litigious and unable to keep a confidence. I do all the hiring here, if I look someone up and see that they are litigious, I throw the resume out, I dont care how good he/she is. I dont need trouble or people having to look over their shoulders. I also dont want someone who I need to walk on eggshells with and can be frank with. He did this all to himself.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:41 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Why is that proving his point? I would have hired him in a second before he filed the lawsuit and showed himself to be an untrustworthy sneak. The second thoughts are about him being litigious and unable to keep a confidence. I do all the hiring here, if I look someone up and see that they are litigious, I throw the resume out, I dont care how good he/she is. I dont need trouble or people having to look over their shoulders. I also dont want someone who I need to walk on eggshells with and can be frank with. He did this all to himself.

Stop. Excuses are like assholes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:29 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

This. The story I got from people who know Flores--both at Poly and at BC--is he has always been an angry guy. Very smart--both on the field and in the classroom--but always with a barely concealed rage which a lot of his Poly teammates could not understand because frankly, he was lifted out of the ghetto and given a full ride to Poly and treated very well when he was there. Even if he had not turned out to be a good football player, there were benefactors who would have seen that he went to college and would have plugged him into the Poly network. Ironically, he got really bad legal advice from some of his privileged white friends from Poly--a couple of brothers who took over their Daddy's extremely lucrative slip and fall, discrimination plaintiffs shop in Brooklyn--they fucked up the timeline of what occurred and when and pushed this thing forward and past the point of no return. Wigdor, is a better class of scumbag plaintiffs' attorney and was brought in a day or two later to try and salvage something. Anyway, Flores shot himself right in the face.

The funny thing is--and I got this from someone who is a member of the greater Rooney-Mara extended family--John Mara wanted to hire Flores and was seen as leaning towards Ryan Poole over Schoen. Thing is, because he fucked up the last three coaching hires and the Gettleman debacle, Mara agreed to Tisch's demand that the GM search would be conducted by a committee, the majority of which went against Mara and picked Schoen. The same committee, plus Schoen (who was given significant input into the coaching hire) picked Daboll over Flores--which isn't surprising given Schoen's relationship with Daboll.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

So you cant say why it is proving his point. Gotcha. I thought everyone here was a lawyer.

There is only one excuse needed not to hire him...he is an asshole.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:04 am

i am not a lawyer.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:16 am

I think Flores would be a head coach today but-for the lawsuit. But, it would be in that most awful of awful teams in Houston. So, in some ways, he is better off just cashing checks from the Dolphins while making bank as the next Kapernick.

How this ends is in settlement when Wignor (the other attorney is in over his head) starts asking for discovery. After the Redskins disaster, the NFL will be happy to come to settlement and put it behind them. Kap was a washed up QB no one wanted and they paid him more than he'd ever make continuing to hold a clipboard (not to mention the endorsements and speaking engagements). I feel (especially with Goodell's recent comments) the NFL won't want to make Flores another martyr and will talk him up, thank him for bringing it to their attention and then hand over a check. Flores' problem going forward will be getting anyone to trust him... from owner to GM to head coaches to assistants. I don't think filing suit is what hurts him as much as throwing Belichick under the bus.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think Flores would be a head coach today but-for the lawsuit. But, it would be in that most awful of awful teams in Houston. So, in some ways, he is better off just cashing checks from the Dolphins while making bank as the next Kapernick.

How this ends is in settlement when Wignor (the other attorney is in over his head) starts asking for discovery. After the Redskins disaster, the NFL will be happy to come to settlement and put it behind them. Kap was a washed up QB no one wanted and they paid him more than he'd ever make continuing to hold a clipboard (not to mention the endorsements and speaking engagements). I feel (especially with Goodell's recent comments) the NFL won't want to make Flores another martyr and will talk him up, thank him for bringing it to their attention and then hand over a check. Flores' problem going forward will be getting anyone to trust him... from owner to GM to head coaches to assistants. I don't think filing suit is what hurts him as much as throwing Belichick under the bus.

I agree, the Belichick thing is what turned me on him.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think Flores would be a head coach today but-for the lawsuit. But, it would be in that most awful of awful teams in Houston. So, in some ways, he is better off just cashing checks from the Dolphins while making bank as the next Kapernick.

That will depend on whether they can build a plaintiff class big enough to warrant broad discovery. If they do, you are right, the NFL will write a check to make it go away because there is no doubt some embarrassing shit lurking out there from a league-wide perspective. But if they don't, and its Flores against the Giants, that poses a problem. The Giants leadership are shitty football executives, but their reputation across the league and amongst the players is that they are really good guys and pretty buttoned down. It is hard to think that their are a lot of inflammatory/embarrassing emails coming from that organization in the way you might expect from one of the more jackass-type owners like Snyder, Irsay, etc. Plus, Flores basically called Mara a racist and my sense is that if this is just a Mara-Flores fight, Mara is interested in burning Flores to the ground.

As for Flores, he is never getting an NFL job or a significant college job again. You can't stab people in the back like he did to Bellichick and have anyone in authority want to let you into the tent. All fine if he wangles a Kap-like money for nothing deal, but if not, the only place you'll be seeing him coaching is in the MEAC or the like.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:03 pm

Flores isnt getting discovery or anything unless he can get a judge to throw out the arbitration clause he signed. If not, Discovery is limited and he gets next to nothing.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As for Flores, he is never getting an NFL job or a significant college job again. You can't stab people in the back like he did to Bellichick and have anyone in authority want to let you into the tent. All fine if he wangles a Kap-like money for nothing deal, but if not, the only place you'll be seeing him coaching is in the MEAC or the like.

In this woke world (especially the ridiculous state of college campuses), Flores would be a hero. And, there will be plenty of kids who will view him as a folk hero and want to play for him. So, I'm saying he'll get a shot at Power 5 if he wants it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As for Flores, he is never getting an NFL job or a significant college job again. You can't stab people in the back like he did to Bellichick and have anyone in authority want to let you into the tent. All fine if he wangles a Kap-like money for nothing deal, but if not, the only place you'll be seeing him coaching is in the MEAC or the like.

In this woke world (especially the ridiculous state of college campuses), Flores would be a hero. And, there will be plenty of kids who will view him as a folk hero and want to play for him. So, I'm saying he'll get a shot at Power 5 if he wants it.

Was going to same the same. You can't see a place like Cal hiring him?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:11 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Was going to same the same. You can't see a place like Cal hiring him?

or mizzou
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:30 pm

While his wokeness might seem to be a plus in certain locales--Cal, Stanford, etc., I see no indication that recruits will flock to him based on the records and recruiting results of minority candidates who have been handed the keys to "elite programs" like Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Florida State, Miami, Texas, Washington, (x2), Texas A&M and middling programs like Virginia, Mississippi State, Syracuse (admittedly not fired yet, but not looking good), Illinois and Arizona, which achieved a historic level of putridness behind an alleged quarterback/recruiting guru.

But getting beyond that, what AD wants to stick his neck out for a guy who may knife him in the back if things don't work out? Woke is great and all, but even the wokest administrators don't want to deal with someone who has demonstrated a penchant for going off half cocked against former friends and mentors.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:31 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

So you cant say why it is proving his point. Gotcha. I thought everyone here was a lawyer.

There is only one excuse needed not to hire him...he is an asshole.

Every good coach is an asshole, Tom Coughlin.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 pm

If the NFL is about winning, Brian Flores is one of 32 head coaches, period. Any excuse not to hire him proves his point. Yet Lovie Smith has a job.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If the NFL is about winning, Brian Flores is one of 32 head coaches, period. Any excuse not to hire him proves his point. Yet Lovie Smith has a job.

NFC champion head coach Lovie Smith? That Lovie Smith? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:31 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If the NFL is about winning, Brian Flores is one of 32 head coaches, period. Any excuse not to hire him proves his point. Yet Lovie Smith has a job.

He’s talking about the Lovie Smith who was recently a joke for the Illini. That Lovie Smith.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

He’s talking about the Lovie Smith who was recently a joke for the Illini. That Lovie Smith.

Mike Lupica, "People act as if Lovie Smith was some kind of tomato-can choice by the Texans. But guess what? If you can coach the Bears to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as your quarterback you can coach, period." :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:29 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Mike Lupica, "People act as if Lovie Smith was some kind of tomato-can choice by the Texans. But guess what? If you can coach the Bears to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as your quarterback you can coach, period." :ace

So... I take it John Fox and Ken Whisenhunt were also in the running.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

So... I take it John Fox and Ken Whisenhunt were also in the running.

John Fox and Ken Whisenhunt are probably not helpful concerning the Rooney rule. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:12 pm

Brian Flores hired by the Steelers.

Rooneys save the Maras yet again.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Brian Flores hired by the Steelers.

Rooneys save the Maras yet again.

True. Excellent coordination between the two franchises. My guess is the Yonkers Race Track Rooneys (who are the smartest of the lot) sat everyone down and proposed an excellent way to suck the life out of Flores. His suit is bullshit. It’s going nowhere. Now he doesn’t get to be a martyr and if he continues to act like an asshole he will be doing so on the staff of the most visible black coach in the league and can get launched into outer space without any muss and fuss. I wonder if Flores is smart enough to realize what he walked into. Either he is a dumb son of a bitch (and the Poly folks and BC folks say he is many things, but dumb isn’t one of them). Or Wiggy told him the case is going nowhere, and this was a way of backing down and indicating his supplication to people he should not have fucked with. I am guessing it is the latter instead of the former.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium