Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Hafley

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:08 am

Ha. Fickell.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:UW is a bizarre fit. I can’t imagine their alum base would be excited about a guy with no connections to the region or UW who just went 12-11 at BC.

Bill O’Brian would be awesome at BC

Agreed on all fronts. Don’t think UDub fans will be happy. Would take BOB in a heartbeat as a replacement.

As for Hafley leaving… it will happen quickly. Like tomorrow or Tuesday. That said, as a disciple of Schiano, I can see him using this offer as leverage for a re-up from BC. Recruiting is happening right now. So, it is either a terrible time for him to leave or a great time for an announcement of an extension.

Classic HJS.

Classic Hansen missing the point. I’m saying this won’t drag out. We’ll have answer one way or the other this week.

I’m also reminding folks that Hafley’s mentor pulled this shit every year as did TOB (who also worked for an AD who didn’t hire him). My read is that UDub is such a strange fit that either (a) Hafley wants a commitment from the school (post Marty) or (b) we have systemic problems that (once realized) has Hafley looking for the nearest exit. I’ll leave open the possibility that UDub is offering Mel Tucker money, but seriously doubt that.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:UW is a bizarre fit. I can’t imagine their alum base would be excited about a guy with no connections to the region or UW who just went 12-11 at BC.

Agreed on all fronts. Don’t think UDub fans will be happy. Would take BOB in a heartbeat as a replacement.

As for Hafley leaving… it will happen quickly. Like tomorrow or Tuesday. That said, as a disciple of Schiano, I can see him using this offer as leverage for a re-up from BC. Recruiting is happening right now. So, it is either a terrible time for him to leave or a great time for an announcement of an extension.

Classic HJS.

Classic Hansen missing the point. I’m saying this won’t drag out. We’ll have answer one way or the other this week.

I’m also reminding folks that Hafley’s mentor pulled this shit every year as did TOB (who also worked for an AD who didn’t hire him). My read is that UDub is such a strange fit that either (a) Hafley wants a commitment from the school (post Marty) or (b) we have systemic problems that (once realized) has Hafley looking for the nearest exit. I’ll leave open the possibility that UDub is offering Mel Tucker money, but seriously doubt that.

Why is Washington a strange fit? It has been and can be an elite program. They were in the playoff recently. They have more money than BC. It is easier to recruit there.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:30 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Why is Washington a strange fit? It has been and can be an elite program. They were in the playoff recently. They have more money than BC. It is easier to recruit there.

It’s weird because he’s never been anywhere near there in his life and only spent a few minutes West of the Mississippi on the 49ers staff. You, of all posters, talk about the importance of only ever looking at people with multiple, close ties to the program. In UDub’s case, the issue is that he has no relation to the local schools. I view USC differently because it is a National Brand.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby miutbc on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:32 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Classic HJS.

Why is Washington a strange fit? It has been and can be an elite program. They were in the playoff recently. They have more money than BC. It is easier to recruit there.

No ties to area. Awful fit. Udub going for sitake. Can’t imagine hafley would be attractive to any program given record here. If he leaves, it’s for internal program dysfunction which would be awful.
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:39 pm

It could also be because him Kraft aren't BFFs. I think it is fair to leave open the possibility that two people who are forced to work together could consider alternatives if available. It could also be cause Hafley doesn’t stay anywhere for more than 2 years in his career for a reason.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:49 pm

I honestly always thought Hafley would leave for the UCLA job when it came available. Chip is on very thin ice regardless of the curb stomp on USC.

edit: if UW hires Hafley, it is safe to think Chip hangs around UCLA another year.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:53 pm

I don’t mind having coaches poached because it normally means that they left us in a better position. Not sure I can say that here. His plan was to come in, fix the D and win with Daz players and an easy schedule. Essentially, we should have been Wake this year. Instead, he didn’t beat a single team with a winning record and made very questionable personnel decisions while failing to address obvious issues with his staff. He’s a great salesman (media and recruits) and a great Defensive coach. He has a ways to go beyond that. He’s young and could get there. Just never came close while at BC.

If he’s just going to carpetbag his way to Seattle, whatever. If he gets the USC job, congrats. BC will have plenty of solid choices. Just don’t eff it up with Lukabu. However, they should determine whether AAR could become Dabo.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby miutbc on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:06 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:I honestly always thought Hafley would leave for the UCLA job when it came available. Chip is on very thin ice regardless of the curb stomp on USC.

edit: if UW hires Hafley, it is safe to think Chip hangs around UCLA another year.

Yeah me as well but he certainly needed to do better here. I would think udub would want more of a sure thing than a guy who’s done a mediocre job in a garbage conference. I’d think they want a huge name or guy with west coast ties. Sitake was their top choice but he’s not going there. Has jh had any sort of signature win? Completely embarrassed by crappy FSU team and wake. Recruiting and image better but that’s it. With transfer portal it was completely unacceptable to not have a serviceable back up qb. Shocking tbh.
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby miutbc on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I don’t mind having coaches poached because it normally means that they left us in a better position. Not sure I can say that here. His plan was to come in, fix the D and win with Daz players and an easy schedule. Essentially, we should have been Wake this year. Instead, he didn’t beat a single team with a winning record and made very questionable personnel decisions while failing to address obvious issues with his staff. He’s a great salesman (media and recruits) and a great Defensive coach. He has a ways to go beyond that. He’s young and could get there. Just never came close while at BC.

If he’s just going to carpetbag his way to Seattle, whatever. If he gets the USC job, congrats. BC will have plenty of solid choices. Just don’t eff it up with Lukabu. However, they should determine whether AAR could become Dabo.

If he ended up at usc it would be the most shocking hire I’ve ever seen. Did you see them against BYU last night. Good lord they looked awful. They can’t afford to eff this hire up
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Hearing that negotiations with UDub are breaking down. Some sort of impasse about salary (Jeff wants more since he’ll be moving across country) and staffing. UDub also not happy about being in a bidding war with USC (a reliable Son of Troy told me this) and annoyed that Hafs agent leaked the talks.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:00 pm

I also thought UW was all over the Fresno St coach. That would make more sense.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby Irishriviera on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:19 pm

Notre Dame did once hire a high school coach so stranger things have happened. That said, I can’t see UW taking a chance on Hafley. He has some promise but hasn’t delivered anything yet. UW can do way better.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 pm

USC is not hiring Jeff Hafley. Not happening.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:45 pm

Very very good chance USC is hiring, or has hired, Lincoln Riley.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby miutbc on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:48 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:Very very good chance USC is hiring, or has hired, Lincoln Riley.

Correct. Going to be Riley. Anyone who has watched that program know they’re not taking a flyer on jh
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:58 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Hearing that negotiations with UDub are breaking down. Some sort of impasse about salary (Jeff wants more since he’ll be moving across country) and staffing. UDub also not happy about being in a bidding war with USC (a reliable Son of Troy told me this) and annoyed that Hafs agent leaked the talks.

Thanks for the update, Blauds.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Jeff Hafley in a bidding war between USC and UW! Hysterical.

It's official, Riley to USC.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:09 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:Jeff Hafley in a bidding war between USC and UW! Hysterical.

Umm… someone should tell Hafley’s agent that this shit gets old real quick. In spite of what Schiano and TOB may believe, there is no better way to burn your goodwill at BC than making grandiose shows of interest in every random job that opens. BC would’ve extended Hafley regardless. But, that buyout is gonna double (which is the thing Leahy most cares about anyway).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:17 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:USC is not hiring Jeff Hafley. Not happening.

This. Also, UDub is a much different job then it was in the Don James glory days. First of all, demographically speaking, a lot has changed in UDub’s backyard. The blue collar whites and blacks in the Spokane Valley and the outer burbs of Seattle have departed for Arizona, Texas and South Carolina in large numbers as the aerospace industry has moved a large number of the assembly line jobs to those business friendlier locales. That is where Washington was able to harvest a lot of O-line and D-line talent—think Steve Emtman and the like. Second, and more importantly, is the rise of Oregon. During the Don James glory years Oregon was a moribund football disaster that could occasionally rise to mediocrity under a QB like Bill Musgrave. Washington thrives in harvesting SoCal—they might lose a lot of recruiting battles to USC back in those days, but there was still a lot of talent left over for them to pick up and they could more than hold their own against UCLA and some of the other lesser schools that recruit there—ASU, Arizona, Cal, etc. The problem is that now Oregon is a more attractive option than UDub for SoCal kids and USC, as bad as the on field results have been, will still get their pick of the litter. Add to the fact that a couple of the National Brands—Notre Dame, Bama, Clemson and tOSU have been building there presence there (in fairness, ND always did pretty well in SoCal since the days of John Huarte, but the other aforementioned schools have become players in the last decade).

In sun, the talent pool UDub needs to exploit is much smaller and much more competitive. It’s a better job than BC, but not much better and the expectations are much higher. Would be a weird place for Hafley to land—both from a hiring perspective by UDub and for Haley as a destination.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby miutbc on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:43 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
hawaiirob {l Wrote}:USC is not hiring Jeff Hafley. Not happening.

This. Also, UDub is a much different job then it was in the Don James glory days. First of all, demographically speaking, a lot has changed in UDub’s backyard. The blue collar whites and blacks in the Spokane Valley and the outer burbs of Seattle have departed for Arizona, Texas and South Carolina in large numbers as the aerospace industry has moved a large number of the assembly line jobs to those business friendlier locales. That is where Washington was able to harvest a lot of O-line and D-line talent—think Steve Emtman and the like. Second, and more importantly, is the rise of Oregon. During the Don James glory years Oregon was a moribund football disaster that could occasionally rise to mediocrity under a QB like Bill Musgrave. Washington thrives in harvesting SoCal—they might lose a lot of recruiting battles to USC back in those days, but there was still a lot of talent left over for them to pick up and they could more than hold their own against UCLA and some of the other lesser schools that recruit there—ASU, Arizona, Cal, etc. The problem is that now Oregon is a more attractive option than UDub for SoCal kids and USC, as bad as the on field results have been, will still get their pick of the litter. Add to the fact that a couple of the National Brands—Notre Dame, Bama, Clemson and tOSU have been building there presence there (in fairness, ND always did pretty well in SoCal since the days of John Huarte, but the other aforementioned schools have become players in the last decade).

In sun, the talent pool UDub needs to exploit is much smaller and much more competitive. It’s a better job than BC, but not much better and the expectations are much higher. Would be a weird place for Hafley to land—both from a hiring perspective by UDub and for Haley as a destination.

Yup. Currently, Udub needs to recruit the poly community well to be successful and right now usc, Oregon, Utah and byu are far superior at attracting talent from that community
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm

For what it’s worth Hafley said this afternoon he’s committed to BC.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm

And now USC has Lincoln Riley. While USC’s defense will be ridiculously bad, but good luck harvesting offensive talent out of SoCal between Riley, Cristobal and the SEC and Midwestern big boys.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:54 pm

Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Instead of flaccidly denying his intent to leave, he should’ve just said “Lincoln got the job. So, I’ll just have to wait until UCLA can afford Chip’s buyout.”
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:27 pm

not to steal hansen's job but
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:41 pm

1. It would be a tough sell for an AD to hire a guy that just went 2-6 in the ACC;
II. Unless he desperately wants out of BC, UW would be a dumb move for JH.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:44 pm

Hypothesis: 'leaking the talks' is the agent version of a prevent defense. I was kind of excited for a minute there that we'd hire a new coach.

Someone close should tell Leahy that the athletic department's margins are best when he's accepting buyouts from bigger schools hiring football coaches, so he should hire an awesome young coach to a five year and then collect fat stacks of cash in year three.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hawaiirob {l Wrote}:Jeff Hafley in a bidding war between USC and UW! Hysterical.

Umm… someone should tell Hafley’s agent that this shit gets old real quick. In spite of what Schiano and TOB may believe, there is no better way to burn your goodwill at BC than making grandiose shows of interest in every random job that opens. BC would’ve extended Hafley regardless. But, that buyout is gonna double (which is the thing Leahy most cares about anyway).

Anyone else think HJS missed his calling as a fiction writer? He's built an entire universe in his imagination.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:12 pm

BOB would be a home run, from the Dorchester section of Boston, wife is a BC grad, he did an excellent job at Penn St., OC at Bama. He would keep most if not all of the recruits and attract more 4 star recruits. But, I don’t think Leahy likes the locals. BOB would become the biggest figure on campus, overshadowing everyone else.

UW is probably hearing positive things about Hafley from people in the NFL. They look at BC as a school that is at best a .500 program. These AD’s and Presidents trying to be GM’s is hilarious. They are completely incompetent and way overpaid themselves. Penn St and MSU are the latest two examples of throwing money away.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium