Did we hire a coach yet today?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Did we hire a coach yet today?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm

2/23/2021 - no
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Re: Did we hire a coach yet today?

Postby NJM89 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Nope but according to Blauds we hired a search firm
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Nope but according to Blauds we hired a search firm

My favorite...

Hopefully it’s just for vetting. That list of coaches Blauds listed is completely uninspired.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:Nope but according to Blauds we hired a search firm

My favorite...

Hopefully it’s just for vetting. That list of coaches Blauds listed is completely uninspired.

As I will repeatedly say, BC isn't talking to bloggers. And, if they were, the absolute last blogger they would talk to is Mark Blaudschun. If Meatbaum or Kraft is going to leak anything, it would be through folks who routinely attend their conference calls (think Julian Benbow and Rich Thompson). They do not need anything from guys like Goodman or Gumshoe. So, there is no reason to provide them with any sort of scoop. Simply, Mark Blaudschun is too far removed from covering BC for a media outlet of note. His heyday was 2 ADs ago. He doesn't have the sources anymore.

That said, I think anyone would be challenged to create a list that IS inspiring. I think it is simply due to the fact that there isn't any coaches out there that would make a difference at a place like BC. So, while I have no doubt that whatever names have been floated by Goodman, Blauds, Nagsinteruption, etc. are not coming from BC... I equally have no doubt that some of the names would overlap in any list being compiled by Kraft.

Anyone can play the same game. If I was to predict what Kraft's list looks like it would be (in order): Willard, Cooley, Grant, Ford, Eisley, Wojo, Rhoads, Amaker, JT3, Williford, Beilein, Bennett, Moser, Dawkins, Schmidt, and Coen.
This isn't my list, just who I think Kraft has Consultant vetting.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:07 pm

An athletic director doesn't hire a search firm when the search is going to plan. We saw this exact scenario in the last coaching search. Bates hired Fogler because "hairdo" struck out on everyone he planned to go for, and had no idea what to do next. My guess is the same happened with Kraft Cheese Singles. Despite the protestations of some of the more weasel- or gastropod-like members of this board, it seems Boston College, with its worst-in-class salaries, facilities, academic restrictions, fan support, administration support, and until recently jerseys, actually isn't a job that sells itself.

Hiring a searching firm means we're nowhere near the conclusion of this sordid saga. Hiring a searching firm means we need to sit around and wait for them to prepare research, then present to Kraft, then Kraft has to sift through the options himself, then start reaching out to people, then interviews, then negotiations, and on and on. If the case for shamefully firing a good man in the middle of the season was to move quickly, then you can call Krafty Boy the next Reche Caldwell, because he dropped the ball.

Just give Jimmy a public apology and a 15% pay raise, and he may come back. There's no shame in admitting when you've made a mistake.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm

If you hire a coach that's available now, you're a moron.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If you hire a coach that's available now, you're a moron.

Kraft did not fire Jimmy Mac because he wanted to get a jump on the hiring season. He made the midseason change for reasons ADs make midseason changes (which usually has nothing to do with wins-and-losses). I think you should read a lot into the Tabbs expulsion and the program being paused... both which occurred on the same day of the termination.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If you hire a coach that's available now, you're a moron.

Kraft did not fire Jimmy Mac because he wanted to get a jump on the hiring season. He made the midseason change for reasons ADs make midseason changes (which usually has nothing to do with wins-and-losses). I think you should read a lot into the Tabbs expulsion and the program being paused... both which occurred on the same day of the termination.

I agree. There's no process right now. They're doing their research. The search firm thing is dumb, how hard is it to know who the candidates are? But the fact is nothing will happen for a few weeks. And it was never going to happen that quickly.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:04 am

I could care less whether this takes another day or another month as long as we hire a good coach.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 am

I will be honest, I dont give a rats ass whether they hire a good coach.therein lies the problem. No one gives a fuck.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I will be honest, I dont give a rats ass whether they hire a good coach.therein lies the problem. No one gives a fuck.

It’s kinda this. I’m jealous of the passion eppy has against JT3. He’d quit the program... which really means that he’d just join the rest of the BC community.

Btw... every single search involves some sort of consultant. They are the ones who ADs rely on to do background checks to see if there are any scandals. They can also quietly offer points of contact. The bigger operations offer a network of clients. The firm we are supposedly using doesn’t have a working website. Even Blauds claims the firm is used to vet the candidates on Kraft’s list (as opposed to create the list).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:43 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I will be honest, I dont give a rats ass whether they hire a good coach.therein lies the problem. No one gives a fuck.

Said better, it just doesn't matter.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:55 am

I love how probably the 3 most diehard BC basketball fans left, who log onto a specialized board for BC basketball multiple times a day to post about the job search, are pretending they don't care. If this is all a play on "Meatball," you'll have to forgive me. I'm not entirely conversant on movies that were mildly popular, for a small period of time, over 40 years ago.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am

A search firm also allows them to gauge interest and reach out to coaches’ agents much more easily while the season is going on. It makes a lot more sense to hire one for a search that begins during the season than a purely offseason one
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 am

2/24/2021 - no
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:11 am

I am sick and tired of BC sucking at men's hoops. Its been more than a decade of this shit. Take the time, and make a careful hire, and find someone who can recruit his ass off and make BC relevant in men's basketball. This Donahue and Jimmy Mac shit was bullshit. A gold-plated resume from the MAC or the Ivy does not make a HC candidate for an ACC team.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:36 am

Celtics' last game before the All-Star break is March 4, so I'd imagine we'll be naming our new coach on the 5th or 6th.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:13 am

A few points.

1) Kraft was going to fire Christian in January, but the Covid issues delayed things. The stated reason was to shake things up and show potential donors they are serious about upgrading the program. The real reason is Kraft never liked Christian. Oil and water.

2) The Tabbs situation had nothing to do with the program. Other students have been dismissed from school for violating Covid protocols. If Christian was winning and Tabbs was a contributor, then the rules would have been bent, but that is not the case obviously.

3) The search firm was engaged a while back. This is something that Leahy wants. The feedback he got from Kraft and some key people is the program needs more than a coach. It needs a new culture.

4) It does not look like Kraft has anyone in mind for the job. It sounds like he is not even leading the search. He'll just be one guy on a committee. This not like the Hafley hire. It's more like the Christian hire.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:19 am

Thats a formula for complete dog shit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Thats a formula for complete dog shit.

like christian
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:15 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

like christian

The post Trump Funishment shtick did say we should have kept him.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:41 pm

like christian

If recruiting is the MOST important thing in college football (its a whole lot easier to out-athlete your opponent on the gridiron than to out-coach them) then recruiting is the ONLY thing in college hoops. With just 5 guys on the court, the superstars shine through much brighter in this sport. UMass came damn close to winning a national championship with one superstar player (and all his blocked shots on defense.)

Recruiting must be virtue number one for college basketball. There is no other way. Christian recruited for a MAC team, not an ACC team. That is why this team sucked for years. And I say that as a Northeastern fan, I know (going into that Thursday afternoon game on March 14th, 15th, or 16th) that no matter how easily my huskies breezed through the CAA tournament, no matter how well Coen coaches in mid-March, we are not likely to win. Our 22 year old seniors will likely just be out-athleted by Kansas's 19 year old freshmen.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:26 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:...UMass came damn close to winning a national championship with one superstar player (and all his blocked shots on defense.)...

finger on the modern pulse of college basketball yet again, nospace. it's likely a good reference though, because there has been no evidence of well-coached (x's and o's) teams making a final 4 run over more athletic and higher "ranked" players since marcus camby was being paid like like he was a lottery pick that had already taken his place with the raptors
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:36 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:...UMass came damn close to winning a national championship with one superstar player (and all his blocked shots on defense.)...

finger on the modern pulse of college basketball yet again, nospace. it's likely a good reference though, because there has been no evidence of well-coached (x's and o's) teams making a final 4 run over more athletic and higher "ranked" players since marcus camby was being paid like like he was a lottery pick that had already taken his place with the raptors

I didn't say he was a good kid and played by the rules. I am only saying he almost got it done.

Do you want to win or not? This is your alma mater not mine. I would love it if Coen could recruit the next Reggie Lewis and would be very forgiving if it was not all on the up-and-up.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:41 pm

BC should just hire nospace to get back to the 1985 Final Four.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:44 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

I didn't say he was a good kid and played by the rules. I am only saying he almost got it done.

Do you want to win or not? This is your alma mater not mine. I would love it if Coen could recruit the next Reggie Lewis and would be very forgiving if it was not all on the up-and-up.

my point was not the cheating, my point was that this was 25 years ago. since then, there have been "ensemble" teams that advanced based on x's and o's instead of an elite plater or 3.

bc will never be the elite/5 star recruiting home - therefore we need to find a coach that can recruit but that also can coach. skinner could do both (thanks to his assistants), beeker and mac could not. it showed

i'm also realistic that the days of matt ryan are the best this school will ever do in football and the days of smith/dudley/towlie/birdman are in a tie with the troy bell years as the best this basketball team will ever do.

thank goodness we have hockey and sailing
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Football can get back to the Jags years. I'm not sure basketball is ever returning despite being a far easier fix as a sport.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:51 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

my point was not the cheating, my point was that this was 25 years ago. since then, there have been "ensemble" teams that advanced based on x's and o's instead of an elite plater or 3.

bc will never be the elite/5 star recruiting home - therefore we need to find a coach that can recruit but that also can coach. skinner could do both (thanks to his assistants), beeker and mac could not. it showed

i'm also realistic that the days of matt ryan are the best this school will ever do in football and the days of smith/dudley/towlie/birdman are in a tie with the troy bell years as the best this basketball team will ever do.

thank goodness we have hockey and sailing

Ever to excel
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:21 pm

yes - ever to excel is the motto of the college (because it doesn't have an engineering school). it's not a realistic motto of the collegiate teams that play in the the minor league sports leagues with their amateur syayus in spite of 80-% - 90% of the competitors choosing to go pro... especially with montgomery c. leahy pinching pennies in the corner office

so i've accepted my alma mater will never rise above the level of meatballs in athletic performance. i don't like it but i recognize it's the truth. may, every some-odd years, the football program can rise to the level of the second half of stripes, but i know better than to expect that they'll rise to the level of the first half of stripes
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:41 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:yes - ever to excel is the motto of the college (because it doesn't have an engineering school). it's not a realistic motto of the collegiate teams that play in the the minor league sports leagues with their amateur syayus in spite of 80-% - 90% of the competitors choosing to go pro... especially with montgomery c. leahy pinching pennies in the corner office

so i've accepted my alma mater will never rise above the level of meatballs in athletic performance. i don't like it but i recognize it's the truth. may, every some-odd years, the football program can rise to the level of the second half of stripes, but i know better than to expect that they'll rise to the level of the first half of stripes

okay I get it

I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet. I would agree that it "Just Doesn't Matter" with people like Jimmy Mac. You are right. But if Notre Dame can continue to be competitive (athletically) with the state university baby rapists then there is no reason in my mind that BC can't. They need to make the right hire here.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum