2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:40 pm

Watching Meatballs right now, this aged like a post on blog boys site.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Kevin Willard doesn’t even clear $2m a year? Just hire him please this is not difficult.

Also JC making $1.4 is staggering. In what other profession can you make that kind of money and go 0fer.

What indicator is there that Willard can be had? Just his salary? Would like this as well, but BC isn’t exactly known as a school that out-pays for coaches
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:48 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Kevin Willard doesn’t even clear $2m a year? Just hire him please this is not difficult.

Also JC making $1.4 is staggering. In what other profession can you make that kind of money and go 0fer.

What indicator is there that Willard can be had? Just his salary? Would like this as well, but BC isn’t exactly known as a school that out-pays for coaches

Budget wise we have more money for this hire than any we previously had. The hoops facilities upgrade are closer than they've been. We certainly have more money than Seton Hall right now. They can't and won't get into a bidding war for Willard. JC coached Kevin in college and still maintains a friendship with Ralph. I have no idea what they think of the BC job right now.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:58 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Budget wise we have more money for this hire than any we previously had. The hoops facilities upgrade are closer than they've been. We certainly have more money than Seton Hall right now. They can't and won't get into a bidding war for Willard. JC coached Kevin in college and still maintains a friendship with Ralph. I have no idea what they think of the BC job right now.

Misfit Lion has spoken.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Seems like a great reason not to hire a good coach
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:06 am

How long before we hire a search firm, and will it be Fogler's or Defillipo's?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby durkcal on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:37 pm

I find that we've learned very little from the previous two failed coaching hires, given the proposed candidates. These coaches like Moser, Schmidt, Jones, Coen... that isn't going to get BC basketball back to anything that seems relevant (unless being NIT bound is relevant). I'm not wasting time and suggesting it should be a Pitino either.

BC is a national university. And attracting basketball players is a very different deal than it is for attracting football players to BC. Basketball players are USED to the idea of traveling to play their sport from a young age. They are also less likely, at least at the level of player that BC needs to compete, to be making a 40 year decision. If they are, there are a LOT more strong, private universities (Georgetown, Northeastern, Boston U, U of Richmond, Villanova, Bucknell, Santa Clara and many more that we do not compete with for football) competing for what I believe is a smaller pool of 40 year decision makers. This isn't to say that the search is hopeless. But a) do not rule out someone with regional bias, and b) also think of someone that has the credibility to bridge the gap for kids that will commit to a program where they will start out playing at what is described as "the morgue". Who is going to be the coach that builds confidence in that group? It can't be "oh, I'm here because me and my family decided this was the best opportunity".

I still believe building a basketball only fieldhouse for games is the most important long term step to raise the floor of BC basketball. That isn't on the agenda today. The best name I see on the proposed list is Howard Eisley. The next best name I've seen proposed is Ryan Odom from UMBC. Those are risky guys that I think are worth it, given that they themselves were good players (credibility), and they know the level of player needed to compete in the ACC. Beilein and Rhoades would obviously do good work. But there are other names that aren't being suggested. For some of them, the salary is going to have to be close to $3 million, and that still might not be enough to get them here. It would be better to shoot higher than to accept a name that will ultimately disappoint.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Watching Meatballs right now, this aged like a post on blog boys site.

oh man, you showed us...
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:26 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:I find that we've learned very little from the previous two failed coaching hires, given the proposed candidates.

You wrote a lot of words slamming BC based on the premise that the names publicly discussed are really the list of candidates.

BC doesn’t talk to the press. The only people talking right now are agents whose clients have everything to gain by claiming interest from a Power 5 program. No one knows Kraft or how he’ll conduct the search. So, at this stage, I’d suggest that the only we can tell right now, is that the media has learned very little from the previous two failed coaching hires.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:I find that we've learned very little from the previous two failed coaching hires, given the proposed candidates.

You wrote a lot of words slamming BC based on the premise that the names publicly discussed are really the list of candidates.

BC doesn’t talk to the press. The only people talking right now are agents whose clients have everything to gain by claiming interest from a Power 5 program. No one knows Kraft or how he’ll conduct the search. So, at this stage, I’d suggest that the only we can tell right now, is that the media has learned very little from the previous two failed coaching hires.

i hope bc has.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:35 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Lol at Brad Stevens be on the hot seat.

Like everything, elvii and teddy being on the same side of an issue assures its inaccuracy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ce ... i=BB15ms5q
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:18 am

As I keep saying to you, try harder.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:58 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:As I keep saying to you, try harder.

Elvii, you don't actually say anything objective, to anyone. Everything is just subjective, meaningless, rhetoric.

I don't always agree with hjs but at least he tries to stay on topic and add value. You don't. Put your nuts on the stump with a meaningful position and risk having us smash them with a hammer. And if you wont do that, be comforted that at least you are not the worst person on this forum behaving the way you do.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Elvii, you don't actually say anything objective, to anyone. Everything is just subjective, meaningless, rhetoric.

I don't always agree with hjs but at least he tries to stay on topic and add value. You don't. Put your nuts on the stump with a meaningful position and risk having us smash them with a hammer. And if you wont do that, be comforted that at least you are not the worst person on this forum behaving the way you do.

yeah, elvii... don't be a wang (delicious or otherwise).

teddy will respond after he finished meatballs 4 (me-ted)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am

Brad Stevens is not on the hot seat. Meatballs was mediocre.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

i hope bc has.

BC isn't in a position to learn anything because they don't take an institutional approach to these searches. Look at each coaching decision done over the ages. For better or worse, the AD drives the process. Leahy is an overly influential voice in each process (and the ultimate decision-maker). But, the process itself is all the AD. In the past, missteps have come from ADs not understanding that they are responsible for their decisions (Marty extending JC and then immediately asking to fire him) and Bates being petrified of doing something that wouldn't please Leahy. But, the learning curve (or lack thereof) is unique to the AD.

GeneD waited 10 years before exercising control over the athletic department. When he did, he knew he had complete control and would only run into problems if the financials got out-of-whack or there was a scandal. So, no one said anything when he went through a series of spastic moves that pushed out TOB, hired Jags, fired Jags, hired Spaz, fired Skinner, hired Don. It only was when it was brutally clear that those decisions were terrible that Gene himself was held responsible. Bates was so ill-equipped and so hen-pecked it was immediately clear that he wouldn't last. He was hired to move on from TOB's mistakes and basked in the glory of firing Spaz... only to be killed for hiring the preapproved Addazio. He didn't want to fire Don (told him he was safe) before Leahy reminded him he was hired to make moves in both programs. Again, in a position of not knowing what to do, he conducted an unfocused search that ended with the hiring of Fogler to pick one of his clients. Marty was smart and ultimately figured out how to navigate. He learned from his JC extension debacle. His handling of the FB search was mastery. He identified Hafley and Fickell as his top two. Once Hafley became his #1 choice, he worked on back-up options (choosing Clark Lea). He had both meet with Leahy but explained his strong preference for Hafley. It was all done without a single word to the press.

Kraft will again have free reign in the coaching search process (including the list of candidates), but won't for the ultimate decision. He has largely done an admirable job in his previous hires at Temple. I think he will use that formula for this hire and (if mistakes are made) it will be because he chooses someone who (a) has a poor reputation or (b) costs too much.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:50 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

elvii is fine, I just grow weary of the constant hen pecking at people's points without taking the extra step to offer a viable alternative. I prefer the people who DO as opposed to the people who are just assholes.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:04 pm

elvii is fine, I just grow weary of the constant hen pecking at people's points without taking the extra step to offer a viable alternative. I prefer the people who DO as opposed to the people who are just assholes.

IB does not hate the Winkelvii
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 pm

As the fruitless coaching search stretches on, one imagines Pat Kraft sitting nervously at his desk in the Yawkey Center, waiting against hope for the phone to ring, for his calls to be returned, wondering if the walls of his office were always like this, or did he only just notice how claustrophobic the space is? An anxious feeling in the pit of his stomach beginning to grow stronger - the first tinge of regret at letting Jim Christian go?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Does anyone have any insight into why John Thompson 3 hasn’t been coaching for several years?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Does anyone have any insight into why John Thompson 3 hasn’t been coaching for several years?

Because he is terrible? AngryDick and eppy have repeatedly crushed the suggestion.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14432&p=523676&hilit=Thompson#p523676
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14432&p=510883&hilit=Thompson#p510883
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16979&p=478501&hilit=JTIII#p478501
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Does anyone have any insight into why John Thompson 3 hasn’t been coaching for several years?

Because he is terrible? AngryDick and eppy have repeatedly crushed the suggestion.

Again I’m out on BC Basketball if they hire JTIII.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:03 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

agreed 1000%. i'm trying to understand why this being legitimately floated.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 pm

https://twitter.com/bcinterruption/stat ... 74468?s=21

Hockey erection (or whatever) likes JT3
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:56 pm

That analysis of the Princeton Offense's efficacy is more outdated than nospace's analysis of the use of the 3 pointer.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:57 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

agreed 1000%. i'm trying to understand why this being legitimately floated.

floated by who? nagspuckerruption & gumshoes?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:41 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/bcinterruption/status/1364290752675774468?s=21

if it's not cats, women's sports or judgmental sobriety; that site knows nothing

or tubasteaks smothered in underwears
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:32 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I cant wait until no space gets tired of sports like tre.

This
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:43 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/bcinterruption/status/1364290752675774468?s=21

if it's not cats, women's sports or judgmental sobriety; that site knows nothing

or tubasteaks smothered in underwears

You forgot Taylor swift
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:32 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That analysis of the Princeton Offense's efficacy is more outdated than nospace's analysis of the use of the 3 pointer.

This isn't a defense of JT3, the Princeton offense or the article. However, there are some things that the blog touched upon that rings true to me.
Second, the offense is used by teams facing a team with better athletes because the offense is slow developing. Think Tony Bennett at Virginia and the Pack Line Defense level of pace (Bennet also uses a modified form of Princeton). The idea is that by slowing the game down there are less scoring opportunities for the better athletic team.

The genius of implementing Princeton is that it takes BC’s biggest weakness, trouble recruiting star players, and turns it into not only a moot point, but even a positive. The reality is that at this stage in the BC rebuild, BC is never going to recruit blue chip prospects that are going to makes headlines on ESPN’s Top 100. Even those that do consider BC tend to be a flash in a pan.

I think that BC Basketball should zig when everyone else zags. If the world is moving towards the 3-point shot, focus on rebounding and baskets in the lane. If the world is moving to fastbreaks, slow it down. If the world is focused on offense, be the master of defense. On a level playing field, BC will have the results we've had over the past decade. I think some of Skinner's elite success was due to the tedious nature of the Flex (which highlighted skills not valued by other programs). I do not want to watch the Flex or Princeton offense. However, I prefer to win boring than lose with an "exciting" up-and-down-the-court, free-flowing, 3-point-shooting, "modern", nonsensical offense that Christian was supposedly running. If we ultimately go in the "system" direction, I probably prefer Grant over similarly situated candidates (Cooley, Rhoads, Coen, JT3).

While the selective JT3 story is being pushed by media folks, here is a reminder of what GTown folks were saying in 2017. Interestingly, it seems that part of JT3's downfall was trying to up his recruiting profile such that he was chasing stars instead of those who fit his system. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... pson-looms
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum