2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Man the lists floated by the media are underwhelming. James Jones? No thanks. He’s been at Yale since 1999 and has produced positive seasons at a low rate over a long stretch of time. Even Amaker, I’m good. The last Ivy coach we hired set us back several years

Schmidt and UVM’s coach are realistic candidates I can get down with

By the way... Brad Stevens is on the Twitter hot seat, not the actual hot seat.

James Jones is a far better choice than the guy from Vermont.

Couldn’t disagree more. Both are in barely competitive basketball conferences for at least a decade, sure - but one of them has had nothing but 20-win seasons. It is not James Jones.

James Jones
21 seasons coaching at Yale:
20-win seasons: 5
Average record: 16-13

John Becker
9 full seasons at UVM:
20-win seasons: all 9 seasons
Average record: 24-10

I have familiarity with Jones' system from Albany and I have had the misfortune of watching a lot of Vermont games in the 50s. Jones yes. Hard pass on Becker.

Fair enough. I have no eye test experience with James Jones, maybe I’ll just defer to you there. The numbers signal Becker to me. I don’t mind low scoring fist fight basketball - works for Tony Bennett, worked for Al

Becker also inherited a far better situation.

So did Dan Henning.

At year 9 I think we can say Becker is running his own program.

Does his cousin Boris show up for some games at Conte? #teambecker :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:We've tried low majors before. I don't think it will work here. I think they should poach the BigEast or a select few from AAC and A10. Only exception I'd be willing to consider is Randy Bennett. Otherwise, just go with Eisley.

The next coach is assured of doing no worse than the last. It is a terrible job (in the sense that the ACC is difficult and there is no built-in advantage to the program), but it is a decent job (in the sense that there is no expectations and anything would be continued progress). So, unless you are convinced you have a homerun hire, might as well give it to someone who can grow into the gig. Eisley can coach Xs and Os... he has shown a base level ability to recruit at Michigan. Ultimately, Eisley's success will be pinned to his staff. BC under Obie and Skinner were really more complete staffs with a figurehead coach. JOB was backed up by Biancardi and Spiller, Skinner was supported by OShea, Coen and Cooley. JC has had good assistants, but he was always a terrible, uninspiring figurehead.

I wonder if you need a stabilizer coach (see Daz) to get this back to NIT/fringe NCAA level before hiring the next guy like Hafley. BC Football was in a pretty decent spot when Hafley walked in. This program and roster is a disaster and complete reboot.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Aside from the fact that it’s basketball, coaching in the Ivy League is nothing like the ACC. I’m a hard no from any Ivy League, America East, etc. candidates.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 pm

I don't want either Jones but would take Joe over James. We know Joe can recruit to BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:We've tried low majors before. I don't think it will work here. I think they should poach the BigEast or a select few from AAC and A10. Only exception I'd be willing to consider is Randy Bennett. Otherwise, just go with Eisley.

The next coach is assured of doing no worse than the last. It is a terrible job (in the sense that the ACC is difficult and there is no built-in advantage to the program), but it is a decent job (in the sense that there is no expectations and anything would be continued progress). So, unless you are convinced you have a homerun hire, might as well give it to someone who can grow into the gig. Eisley can coach Xs and Os... he has shown a base level ability to recruit at Michigan. Ultimately, Eisley's success will be pinned to his staff. BC under Obie and Skinner were really more complete staffs with a figurehead coach. JOB was backed up by Biancardi and Spiller, Skinner was supported by OShea, Coen and Cooley. JC has had good assistants, but he was always a terrible, uninspiring figurehead.

I wonder if you need a stabilizer coach (see Daz) to get this back to NIT/fringe NCAA level before hiring the next guy like Hafley. BC Football was in a pretty decent spot when Hafley walked in. This program and roster is a disaster and complete reboot.

I'm generally with you. I think that's why I prefer resumes with Big East on it (with only a handful of guys like Ford, Grant, Bennett from elsewhere). Everyone thinks Willard is the best we could do. I don't think Willard is some sort of magician and I don't think he'd make immediate post-season contenders. However, I think he could build a Daz-like foundation and leave the program on much better ground than he'd find it. I just think that, if you aren't sure or can't land those guys... might as well jump right to the "next" coach and give him time.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 pm

I'd rather have Eisley than either Jones but prefer the Jones to most of the terrible names in the realistic column in this thread.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I want a home run. The 2004-2005 season seems like a lifetime ago. I want that back, want to win now. If they are not going to hit a homerun then fuck it, I'm with HJS, just go with Eisley.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:34 pm

The 2004-2005 season?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The 2004-2005 season?

I think that's IB's way of saying that we need to bring Bruce Pearl to BC.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Anybody have Gary Williams’ number?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:06 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't want either Jones but would take Joe over James. We know Joe can recruit to BC.

False. That class aside from Ryan Anderson was not good (and I’m being kind with that evaluation).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:30 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The 2004-2005 season?

I think that's IB's way of saying that we need to bring Bruce Pearl to BC.

Going into the office in the morning, and having coworkers (here in Phoenix) talk to me about BC (either positively or negatively comparing them to an over-rated 2003 St Joe's team) was interesting. It was a wonderful time to be a BC hoops fan so far away from Boston. People here cared. They cared because people in Phoenix give a damn about college basketball since so many of them graduated from the University of Arizona. I looked forward to going into the office and having the water cooler conversations. And I genuinely looked forward to every BC game the way I look forward to every Northeastern game today.

I want that back. I long for my youth and the memories of that year. I don't care who coaches this team so long as we get that season again. MBCGA, Make Boston College Great Again.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Twitter weirdos saying that BC has already been in touch with Eisley.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Lol at Brad Stevens be on the hot seat.

It’s the NBA. Every coach is on the hot seat each minute they are employed. Coaches are the most discarded commodity in that league. If you have no talent, a great coach can have you battling for the 8th seed. If you have talent, the coach doesn’t matter and usually ignored by the aforementioned talent. I think Stevens is excellent and does a great job with a roster that will never win anything. But, if Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown ever get pissed at him for any reason, he’s gone before you can say “5th longest tenure in the NBA”.

So your original point was you speaking out of your ass. Got it.

We already know how well you react to selectively reading comments that challenge your safe space. All I ever said was that Stevens likes his life in Wellesley (coming from his friends) and then commented on the fact that no job is ever safe in the NBA. I think the BC job is beneath him and we'd have to make him the highest paid coach in college. It ain't happening unless he wanted out knowing that (despite what you claim) he likely otherwise won't be in the area in 5 years.
Trigger Alert (the following could include statements that readers find objectionable and challenge their delicately-held beliefs. Please use caution while reading and know that the "x" in the upper right corner can be pushed at any moment to remove the content from view) - https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/19/ ... is-season/

Personally, I hate the NBA and it is probably partly due to how the league has devolved into something devoid of strategy and systems. I preferred the times where Detroit could scheme its way to a title. Now, the Association is nothing more than a McDonald's All Star game where the only strategy employed is clearing cap space and exacting draft picks from teams desperate for an All Star.

If that's the case, then I think Kerr and Popovich are in play.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:29 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:If that's the case, then I think Kerr and Popovich are in play.

I had know idea they were currently living in Wellesley with their young kids. Must be a second marriage situation.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:If that's the case, then I think Kerr and Popovich are in play.

I had know idea they were currently living in Wellesley with their young kids. Must be a second marriage situation.

Frankly, it would not surprise me if Kerr and Pop were married to each other and living in Wellesley. Their politics and bitchy, empty-headed statements would be a fit for the area.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Impressive triple down. At least you didn't use Gary Washburn as your source this time.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:46 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Impressive triple down. At least you didn't use Gary Washburn as your source this time.

Winklevii
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:18 am

Massive credit to Kraft for firing Jim Christian mid season. From all accounts JC was a nice guy but a terrible basketball coach that should have been fired years ago.

I never understood this boards love for Schmidt. He’s an alum but he’d be a mediocre coach at best in the ACC. I’d much rather go with Eisley who has much higher upside.

The best thing BC can do is invest in an immediate splash hire that’s going to get fans and media talking BC just to put BC back on the map. First call should be to Rick Pitino. I’d be very happy with Eisley, Willard,
or Beilein. Most of the other names I’ve seen would be very underwhelming.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:The best thing BC can do is invest in an immediate splash hire that’s going to get fans and media talking BC just to put BC back on the map. First call should be to Rick Pitino. I’d be very happy with Eisley, Willard,
or Beilein. Most of the other names I’ve seen would be very underwhelming.

My thinking in this space continues to evolve. I think they should do everything they can to make a splash that immediately changes the program.

Failing that, I think the smart play is to hire someone who has a high floor that can bring the program back to respectability and occasionally pop into the NCAAs. That is essentially candidates like Kevin Willard and Travis Ford.

After that, it's a crap shoot. If we are just rolling the dice on randos, I think we should just give Eisley a shot. I haven't a clue if he will be able to do anything. But, if nothing else, it offers you a shoot-the-moon chance that you get a guy who gets alums excited and start to pay attention... and he'd be cheap. I've always viewed Howard as a backstop option for the program. But, I've raised him up the list such that I'd choose less and less candidates over him.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:11 am

BC isn’t hiring Rick Pitino. We can stop with that one
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:BC isn’t hiring Rick Pitino. We can stop with that one

I agree. And I don't think they are hiring Beilein (who is the same age). That said, in all honesty, who is a "splash" hire nowadays? I really don't see one. Kevin Willard, Travis Ford, Anthony Grant? All nice coaches, none a showstopper hire. Is Steve Pikiell, Mike Hopkins or Cuonzo Martin a massive move? I know we all hate the Dukies, but bias aside, does Wojo, B.Hurley, J.Dawkins or (non-Dukie) D.Hurley have people (outside of this board) sit up and take notice? What about handing the gig to a media personality like Paul Pierce of Jay Bilas or Jay Williams? Do we pay Football money to Bruce Pearl, Ben Howland or Frank Martin?

As I have repeatedly commented, BC basketball has killed my attention to the sport. One-and-done, shoe companies, bag-men, G-League, new rules... the whole thing seems like a mess that's nearly impossible to navigate in a way that guarantees success. The more I think about it, the less I care. If you aren't going to make a Football Money hire (Jay Wright makes $7mm per), it is going to be a crapshoot. Might as well hire Eisley to at least shut people up. It is precisely what I wished we did last go around with Schmidt/Coen so (when we fired them after their 7th year) we weren't still pretending they are candidates in 2021.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:40 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Massive credit to Kraft for firing Jim Christian mid season. From all accounts JC was a nice guy but a terrible basketball coach that should have been fired years ago.

He's the all-time winningest coach in MAC history.

Which conferences are you the all-time winningest coach of?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Massive credit to Kraft for firing Jim Christian mid season. From all accounts JC was a nice guy but a terrible basketball coach that should have been fired years ago.

Charlie Coles 7 years dead is a better coach than Jim Christian.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

Conclusive proof that the collegiate coaching drop from ACC down to MAC (or in this case, the leap from the MAC all the way up to the ACC) is vast, huge. So I am a little bit curious about hiring another coach from another mid-major conference and expecting different results.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree. And I don't think they are hiring Beilein (who is the same age). That said, in all honesty, who is a "splash" hire nowadays? I really don't see one. Kevin Willard, Travis Ford, Anthony Grant? All nice coaches, none a showstopper hire. Is Steve Pikiell, Mike Hopkins or Cuonzo Martin a massive move? I know we all hate the Dukies, but bias aside, does Wojo, B.Hurley, J.Dawkins or (non-Dukie) D.Hurley have people (outside of this board) sit up and take notice? What about handing the gig to a media personality like Paul Pierce of Jay Bilas or Jay Williams? Do we pay Football money to Bruce Pearl, Ben Howland or Frank Martin?

As I have repeatedly commented, BC basketball has killed my attention to the sport. One-and-done, shoe companies, bag-men, G-League, new rules... the whole thing seems like a mess that's nearly impossible to navigate in a way that guarantees success. The more I think about it, the less I care. If you aren't going to make a Football Money hire (Jay Wright makes $7mm per), it is going to be a crapshoot. Might as well hire Eisley to at least shut people up. It is precisely what I wished we did last go around with Schmidt/Coen so (when we fired them after their 7th year) we weren't still pretending they are candidates in 2021.

when is the last time a team of One-and-Dones won a national championship? Kentucky 2012? Don't think its happened since then and I'm not sure any of us will ever see it happen again.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:40 pm

I cant wait until no space gets tired of sports like tre.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Doubt they’re hiring Beilin after what went down in Cleveland.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:37 pm

I’d like to take a moment to remind folks how inconsequential BB is to athletics bottomline. NCAA credits are a rounding error for Power 5 teams. TV revs are driven entirely by FB. Schools in the Big East are getting killed because they still rely upon arcane revenue like ticket sales. This carries forward to coaches salaries. These guys don’t get paid anywhere near their FB counterparts. So, BC (a terrible program in a richly solvent conference) could have its pick based on the contract offered. Pretty much any non-Jay Wright coach in the Big East would jump at a $2.5 offer. The A10 guys floated come cheaper. An assistant or mid-major probably costs less than $2. If you want to offer $5mm, your talking Top 5 salary and pretty much anyone in the profession would listen (if only to get a raise).
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... all/coach/
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:57 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I’d like to take a moment to remind folks how inconsequential BB is to athletics bottomline. NCAA credits are a rounding error for Power 5 teams. TV revs are driven entirely by FB. Schools in the Big East are getting killed because they still rely upon arcane revenue like ticket sales. This carries forward to coaches salaries. These guys don’t get paid anywhere near their FB counterparts. So, BC (a terrible program in a richly solvent conference) could have its pick based on the contract offered. Pretty much any non-Jay Wright coach in the Big East would jump at a $2.5 offer. The A10 guys floated come cheaper. An assistant or mid-major probably costs less than $2. If you want to offer $5mm, your talking Top 5 salary and pretty much anyone in the profession would listen (if only to get a raise).
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... all/coach/

BC needs to make a splash. They need excitement for the program, which brings back the program's profile, and locks in the basketball facility, which in turn helps on-court performance and recruiting. But they're not going to pull the trigger on the basketball facility post-Covid unless they're really confident in the coach and his ability to raise funds.

That's why I would sound out Jared Dudley on his plans. BC hired Cousy upon retirement from the Celtics, and he raised the program's profile dramatically. I think Dudley can do the same, even if he only stays a few years.

Dudley's very smart and an excellent communicator. He'd have a ton of cred when he targets a recruit; recruits can see Dudley's journey and envision it for themselves. He can relate to them far better than a 65-year-old who calls black players "thugs". He'd certainly juice fundraising and give BC the confidence (they should already have) to build the facility. I think he'd be secure enough to bring in an experienced staff, perhaps including Louis Hinnant amongst others who know the specifics of how program administration and recruiting work. Based on his experience in different NBA systems, he'd have what he needs to scheme effectively. He'd know enough to put in a foundation upon which players can rely, and adjust effectively from there within games given that the NBA demands making adjustments on the fly.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum