New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:01 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:I don’t remember anyone even trying to make a case for him

If Jimmy MAC decided today that he's tired of the slander and chose to walk away, the program would be in significantly better shape than it was when he found it. Impossible to argue and not spoken of often enough.

Based on what? Roster still a mess and nothing to show for seven years.

He’s not being serious...

What? Look at the roster that Donahue left behind and look at the roster now. It's younger and almost certainly more talented now. Very certainly more athletic.

Hanlon was better than anyone on the current roster.

Eh...
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

If Jimmy MAC decided today that he's tired of the slander and chose to walk away, the program would be in significantly better shape than it was when he found it. Impossible to argue and not spoken of often enough.

What? Look at the roster that Donahue left behind and look at the roster now. It's younger and almost certainly more talented now. Very certainly more athletic.

Eh...

Tabbs is Canadian for Hanlan. Score 20, give-up 30 on D
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:08 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Eh...

I'd also argue that Felder could be developed into a pretty good actual NBA player if he had some coaching.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Eh...

I'd also argue that Felder could be developed into a pretty good actual NBA player if he had some coaching.

Watching Felder regress each game makes me more inclined to want an in season move (i know it is not going to happen). :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Eh...

Yep. He certainly has the chance to be our best big since Ryan Anderson, as does Karnik
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:43 pm

I usually have strong opinions on these things. But, I think the program is such a mess and college BB is so influx that I really don't know the path forward. Of course, unrealistically hiring someone like John Beilein is the easiest answer. Folks have mentioned Wojo and Willard and that would be most in line with previous hires (graduating form A10 to BigEast is comparable with going from current BigEast to ACC). Maybe a re-tread like Shaka Smart or his predecessor Anthony Grant would work. Maybe Mike Hopkins jumps before he is pushed. Maybe Bobby Hurley really wants to come back East.

Outside of that... I think it is a pure crapshoot. Can Wes Miller (or Mike Rhoads, Pat Kelsey, Darian DeVries, Jeff Boals, Porter Moser or Bob Richey) be effective at a major program? Can Eisley run a program and recruit as well as he has at Michigan? Do you follow the Hafley model by pulling a top assistant off an elite program like Hubert Davis or Jason Williford or Jon Scheyer or someone like Dane Fife (who Kraft overlapped with during their time at Indiana)? Do you go boring, safe and old with Cooley, Coen, Schmidt, O'Shea, Becker, Amaker?

I do not think there is a clear cut answer. I do not think there is a no-brainer option (like if Brad Stevens was fired but didn't want to move from Wellesley). Accordingly, I think Kraft should just go with who he thinks is the best coach to build a program from the ground up. It should be viewed as if BC Basketball is a new expansion team in the ACC. You need someone who can establish a foundation and a culture more than you need someone who is good at Xs and Os. Recruiting will be important, but possibly more important is the ability to develop players (which is something that hasn't been seen since Skinner).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:13 pm

It will be interesting to see how Kraft handles things. MJ clearly had a vision and most if not all of his hires fit it: Hafley, JBM, volleyball guy, etc. All young, all with experience as assistants at big time programs with enough enthusiasm to basically tread water with energy and vision while the infrastructure and talent improved. It’s early with Hafley, but JBM and the volleyball guy seem like they’ve given new life to their respective programs.

Men’s basketball in the ACC is a different beast, but I think this job is going to require someone on the younger side looking for a break that has the drive to resurrect the program. Beilein is a hell of a coach but I doubt he or someone similar has the desire to undertake a job like this. Like HJS said, this program is almost completely off the map. Someone like that might have been interested when we ended up with Donahue, or maybe even when we got Fogler’d.

There’s always going to be some level of interest in any ACC job, especially one in a nice place to live that has proven to be more than patient with their coaches, but selling people on the job won’t be the easiest thing in the world, especially if Kraft can’t show candidates the blueprints for the new facility in interviews. Someone like Willard would be a pipe dream. You’re probably looking at a pool of head coaches from the middle of the A10 and below or assistants from schools outside the top 10-15 programs. That’s not to say that it’s impossible to find someone who would do a good job, but I think it will be harder to make a good hire than it was the last two times around.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Does Eisley have what it takes to be a Head Coach? Bring Duane Woodward back into the fold?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I usually have strong opinions on these things. But, I think the program is such a mess and college BB is so influx that I really don't know the path forward. Of course, unrealistically hiring someone like John Beilein is the easiest answer. Folks have mentioned Wojo and Willard and that would be most in line with previous hires (graduating form A10 to BigEast is comparable with going from current BigEast to ACC). Maybe a re-tread like Shaka Smart or his predecessor Anthony Grant would work. Maybe Mike Hopkins jumps before he is pushed. Maybe Bobby Hurley really wants to come back East.

Outside of that... I think it is a pure crapshoot. Can Wes Miller (or Mike Rhoads, Pat Kelsey, Darian DeVries, Jeff Boals, Porter Moser or Bob Richey) be effective at a major program? Can Eisley run a program and recruit as well as he has at Michigan? Do you follow the Hafley model by pulling a top assistant off an elite program like Hubert Davis or Jason Williford or Jon Scheyer or someone like Dane Fife (who Kraft overlapped with during their time at Indiana)? Do you go boring, safe and old with Cooley, Coen, Schmidt, O'Shea, Becker, Amaker?

I do not think there is a clear cut answer. I do not think there is a no-brainer option (like if Brad Stevens was fired but didn't want to move from Wellesley). Accordingly, I think Kraft should just go with who he thinks is the best coach to build a program from the ground up. It should be viewed as if BC Basketball is a new expansion team in the ACC. You need someone who can establish a foundation and a culture more than you need someone who is good at Xs and Os. Recruiting will be important, but possibly more important is the ability to develop players (which is something that hasn't been seen since Skinner).

Kevin Williard please
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:08 pm

This is a long project. I would accept an older program stabilizer like Rick Stansbury or Tim Cluess who maybe has recharged the batteries.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Also, the uniforms have improved dramatically
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:39 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:Rumor has it Jeff Neubauer is first on deck for an interview starting later this week. :ace

neubauer got the hook quicker than jimmy mac
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 am

Fordham never should have pushed Frank McLaughlin out the door, it has been eight disastrous years. I swear that Leahy must thank God everyday that Joe McShane exists, so there is at least one Jesuit college president who has done more damage to his schools athletic programs.

Despite the fact that I have given up the Mark Schmidt to BC agenda, I would still like to point out that the Bonnies are 8-1 overall with their only loss being a tight road loss at URI in which they played without the best player in the A10 and the third best player in the A10. They are first place in the A10 and Lunardi seems to think that if they finish in the Top 3 in the conference, which seems a foregone conclusion at this point, they will get an at large bid.

As far as who BC should hire, whoever it is is going to need to be a program builder. Christian following Donahue has left us so far behind even a lot of mid-majors in terms of program infrastructure, culture, etc., that it is going to take more than just a better recruiter or x and o's guy. We are going to need someone who can clean up the Augean stables that BC has become and rethink the whole program.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:11 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As far as who BC should hire, whoever it is is going to need to be a program builder. Christian following Donahue has left us so far behind even a lot of mid-majors in terms of program infrastructure, culture, etc., that it is going to take more than just a better recruiter or x and o's guy. We are going to need someone who can clean up the Augean stables that BC has become and rethink the whole program.

Teddy would point out that this is stupid and that BB is the easiest sport to turn around as recruiting 3 great players gets you most of the way there (plenty of examples of this, most recently with Penny Hardaway). That said, BC is not going to be able to just go all in on the shady AAU underbelly. Accordingly, I think that BC's best bet is to get someone who is capable of a full program build.

I think we need to stay away from the micro-majors, MAC-types. Moving from a conference with minimal competition to the worst program in the toughest conference is not a recipe for success. Looking through our recent history, when we were in the BigEast, we poached from the A10. In the ACC, I would like to see us poach at least from the BigEast/AAC. If we can't find anything in the Power5, BigEast, AAC or (even) A10, hire Eisley and given him a boatload of money to surround him with pocket-stuffing assistants.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:49 pm

Recruiting under the current staff has been fine, it just hasn't been deep enough to be any good. They always seem to have one or two decent ACC guards every year, but that is not enough when the rest of the roster stinks. You either need to guys like that at every position or you need some superstars.

I actually don't hate the current roster. They have 4-5 good players. It is not enough. But the coach stinks and they should be more successful than they are with little Langford, Felder, Tabbs and Heath. Mitchell and big Langford are fine bench options. This should be a decent team.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Recruiting under the current staff has been fine, it just hasn't been deep enough to be any good. They always seem to have one or two decent ACC guards every year, but that is not enough when the rest of the roster stinks. You either need to guys like that at every position or you need some superstars.

I actually don't hate the current roster. They have 4-5 good players. It is not enough. But the coach stinks and they should be more successful than they are with little Langford, Felder, Tabbs and Heath. Mitchell and big Langford are fine bench options. This should be a decent team.

Eh we agree and I don’t like it
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Recruiting under the current staff has been fine, it just hasn't been deep enough to be any good. They always seem to have one or two decent ACC guards every year, but that is not enough when the rest of the roster stinks. You either need to guys like that at every position or you need some superstars.

Eh we agree and I don’t like it

This is an obvious conclusion, like "Felder is going to sign with an NBA squad and end up making some cash as a 3 and D guy and had he gone to Villanova, he'd be mediocre rich like Saddiq Bey"/
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:53 pm

Is this where you two gin each other until dawn?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:00 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Is this where you two gin each other until dawn?

No adult drinks gin. Fuck
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:46 pm

Karnik too. And Rich Kelly is also a fine bench option. This is a perfectly believable NCAA tournament team. 65 fucking teams make that per year. Are there really 65 rosters better than that? What’s strange is Jim Christian has won more games with lesser teams. Probably because they didn’t buzzsaw his ass with a brutal schedule.

They clearly loaded up on the schedule to communicate to JC “You’d have been cooked if not for covid. Here. You can keep your job if you make the NCAA tournament with this schedule.” Jim probably looked at the schedule and was like “Alright. So. I’m fired? Why give a fuck then.”

What would have been far wiser was simply firing Jim and giving the talented roster to a new coach with a normal schedule. Instead, they petty fucked Jim Christian with a barbed dildo which only ended up fucking themselves
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:31 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Karnik too. And Rich Kelly is also a fine bench option. This is a perfectly believable NCAA tournament team. 65 fucking teams make that per year. Are there really 65 rosters better than that? What’s strange is Jim Christian has won more games with lesser teams. Probably because they didn’t buzzsaw his ass with a brutal schedule.

They clearly loaded up on the schedule to communicate to JC “You’d have been cooked if not for covid. Here. You can keep your job if you make the NCAA tournament with this schedule.” Jim probably looked at the schedule and was like “Alright. So. I’m fired? Why give a fuck then.”

What would have been far wiser was simply firing Jim and giving the talented roster to a new coach with a normal schedule. Instead, they petty fucked Jim Christian with a barbed dildo which only ended up fucking themselves

Karnik and Kelly should never play with an ACC team and their presence illustrates my point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:57 pm

This really might be the end of the run for Jimmy Mac (for better or worse). :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:22 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:This really might be the end of the run for Jimmy Mac (for better or worse). :ace

Bump. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Is this where you two gin each other until dawn?

No adult drinks gin. Fuck

I find a Hendricks and Tonic with some cucumber an acceptable summertime backyard beverage.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:52 pm

So the geniuses at ESPN say it will likely be Eisley or Schmidt, which makes absolutely no sense on its face. You don’t pull the trigger mid-season if you are going to hire an alum who isn’t a candidate for another big job. Besides which, having spoken to some Bonnies very close to Schmidt, because of the comedic disaster Bates made of Schmidt’s last interview, Schmidt would only take the BC job at this point if he was the only candidate and his interview was a perfunctory formality.

I have not heard anything from reputable BC sources, but I have to believe they must be taking a run at Beilen, Hurley, the Seton Hall coach or maybe Frank Martin. There has been some crazy talk about Pitino on the Twitter Machine, but that is just crazy talk as there is no way BC will assume that baggage, even if it is true that Pitino would take the job in a heartbeat. Of course, outside of Pitino, BC will have to pony up a lot of cash for any of the Big Splash names. I am told they paid up for Hafely, so maybe they are ready to start acting like the wealthy school that BC has become rather than clinging to a culture of a barely solvent commuter school even though the school has not been such a school since I was in kindergarten.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:40 am

would definitely check in to see if the hurley in the dessert wants to come back east
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:53 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:would definitely check in to see if the hurley in the dessert wants to come back east

Hard pass.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:would definitely check in to see if the hurley in the dessert wants to come back east

hurley a la mode?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:21 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

hurley a la mode?

i hate you
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:So the geniuses at ESPN say it will likely be Eisley or Schmidt, which makes absolutely no sense on its face. You don’t pull the trigger mid-season if you are going to hire an alum who isn’t a candidate for another big job. Besides which, having spoken to some Bonnies very close to Schmidt, because of the comedic disaster Bates made of Schmidt’s last interview, Schmidt would only take the BC job at this point if he was the only candidate and his interview was a perfunctory formality.

Hmmmmm

2007–08 St. Bonaventure 8–22 2–14 14th
2008–09 St. Bonaventure 15–15 6–10 11th
2009–10 St. Bonaventure 15–16 7–9 8th
2010–11 St. Bonaventure 16–15 8–8 7th CBI First Round
2011–12 St. Bonaventure 20–12 10–6 4th NCAA First Round
2012–13 St. Bonaventure 14–15 7–9 11th
2013–14 St. Bonaventure 18–15 6–10 9th
2014–15 St. Bonaventure 18–13 10–8 T–7th
2015–16 St. Bonaventure 22–9 14–4 T–1st NIT First Round
2016–17 St. Bonaventure 20–12 11–7 5th
2017–18 St. Bonaventure 26–8 14–4 2nd NCAA First Round
2018–19 St. Bonaventure 18–16 12–6 4th
2019–20 St. Bonaventure 19–12 11–7 T–5th
2020–21 St. Bonaventure 10-3 8-3
St. Bonaventure: 236–183 (.563) 123–105 (.539)

Just 2 conference championships in 14 seasons? Meh. Yeah I don't see ANYTHING there that leads me to believe that what Schmidt did (and is currently doing) at St Bonnie's gives us any evidence that he would be a significant upgrade over Jim Christian. The 2017-2018 season, that seemed to be a whole lot of Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley.

If he can win now, great, hire him today. If he cant recruit more players like Jaylen Adams, hire him. But one or two in 14 years, meh.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum