Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby BC923 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:29 am

There’s enough in state talent in Arizona for one of the two programs to be pretty damn good at a time. It’s where a lot of the kids who would be California talent live now. Right now it looks like advantage Herm, but many of those kids are leaving the state entirely (Budda Baker and Byron Murphy both went to play at Washington, Christian Kirk ironically played for Sumlin at A&M)
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:28 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:There’s enough in state talent in Arizona for one of the two programs to be pretty damn good at a time. It’s where a lot of the kids who would be California talent live now. Right now it looks like advantage Herm, but many of those kids are leaving the state entirely (Budda Baker and Byron Murphy both went to play at Washington, Christian Kirk ironically played for Sumlin at A&M)

Two years ago I attended my very first high school football game in the state of Arizona. I was the old "chaperone" to about 5 freshmen girls (my daughter being one of them.) I brought them to the game, paid for their tickets, and they got lost in the mob of students standing in the stands. So I kept one eye on them and let them socialize with all their friends as I sat down to watch the game.

High school football in Massachusetts was nothing like this. Growing up if I saw 1000 fans at a game (and that is 1000 people total on both sides of the field) that would be an impressive number, a really good showing. And that was even for Friday evening games. So I was not prepared for what I was about to witness.

Horizon High School (approx 2500+ students) was playing Pinnacle Peak High School (approx 3000+ students.) With the very rare exceptions of Brockton, New Bedford, and the larger private catholic high schools (BC High, Catholic Memorial) schools in Massachusetts just didn't have schools with that large of a student body. The game was played at Horizon and the school didn't just have a field and some bleachers. Oh no. This school had a fucking STADIUM. Five minutes before kick-off, the announced attendance was just shy of 12,000 spectators. I have no idea where these people parked. I got there an hour early and I just barely found a spot.

Horizon had the standard 60 boy roster right along with Pinnacle Peak. On Horizon's roster there was 7 or 8 players that were 6'5" or taller, more than 30 boys weighing more than 200 pounds each, five of them weighing 300+ pounds. I try to imagine what it must do to a 16 year old body having 300 pounds of body mass. Pinnacle Peak had very similar weights and heights. I started wondering if I was at a high school football game.

Here is where the plot thickens. Chatting with some of the people in the stands I found out that Horizon had not one, but TWO 4-star rated players playing on the field at the same time. Now I thought was impressive! Ha. That was nothing. Pinnacle Peak had two different 5-STAR PLAYERS, each having multiple Power-5 scholarship offers. Two 5-stars on one team!?!?! I don't remember a time where Massachusetts had a 5-star rated player in the entire state. I think there is only (what?) 150, maybe 200 5-star rated football players in the whole country. Well in 2018, two of them played for Pinnacle Peak. I'll let you guys look them up. And yes, Pinnacle Peak won, albeit it was a very close, very high scoring game.

Point is this: BC923 is correct, Arizona is LOADED with high school football talent, loaded. They play football in this state, 12 months a year. Its ridiculous. In some ways, that makes it feel like Texas or Florida. There is probably more than enough talent just in the Metro Phoenix area to fill out very respectable rosters for both ASU and U-of-A. But yes, many of the kids pass on the Sun Devils and Wildcats and leave the state. The best player at Pinnacle Peak went to Oklahoma not ASU.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm

Gus malzahn fired :shock:

His buyout is nearly $22m
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:33 pm

Gus out at Auburn. Imagine they only do this if Freeze is locked in. Auburn can and should be good all the time. Plenty of local talent. Incredible facilities. Willing to cheat like hell. Saban is also getting old, so you can use that against Alabama in recruiting.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:43 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Gus out at Auburn. Imagine they only do this if Freeze is locked in. Auburn can and should be good all the time. Plenty of local talent. Incredible facilities. Willing to cheat like hell. Saban is also getting old, so you can use that against Alabama in recruiting.

Briles to Liberty after this
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Illinois making a move. Their list seems similar to ours last year.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:02 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Gus out at Auburn. Imagine they only do this if Freeze is locked in. Auburn can and should be good all the time. Plenty of local talent. Incredible facilities. Willing to cheat like hell. Saban is also getting old, so you can use that against Alabama in recruiting.

Briles to Liberty after this

Not if Texas Tech has any say...
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Is Auburn really going to buy out Gus to promote his DC?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:43 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Is Auburn really going to buy out Gus to promote his DC?

No way. They have to have Hugh Freeze lined up and ready to go. A guy who beat Saban twice at Ole Miss has got to be who they are going after. If not, their AD is incompetent.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:23 pm

Also, gotta give Clark Lea a lot of credit. He turned down Vandy’s initial inquiry which lead the AD to state they were going to look for an offensive minded coach. The Vandy boosters thought on it and went back and offered him an actual SEC salary. At least he’ll have a lot of money when he goes 28-44 over the next six years and then signs on as Dabo’s DC when he takes the Bama job when Saban retires.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Also, gotta give Clark Lea a lot of credit. He turned down Vandy’s initial inquiry which lead the AD to state they were going to look for an offensive minded coach. The Vandy boosters thought on it and went back and offered him an actual SEC salary. At least he’ll have a lot of money when he goes 28-44 over the next six years and then signs on as Dabo’s DC when he takes the Bama job when Saban retires.

Didn't he turn out to be our Plan B if we missed out on Hafley? I know everyone thought it was between Hafley and Fickell, but I think Jarmond had to pick between the two earlier in the process and Luke never made it to the Leahy round, but Marty had Lea as his reserve if things fell apart with Jeff. That's my recollection... it was only a year ago... but, damn it was a very long year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Also, gotta give Clark Lea a lot of credit. He turned down Vandy’s initial inquiry which lead the AD to state they were going to look for an offensive minded coach. The Vandy boosters thought on it and went back and offered him an actual SEC salary. At least he’ll have a lot of money when he goes 28-44 over the next six years and then signs on as Dabo’s DC when he takes the Bama job when Saban retires.

Didn't he turn out to be our Plan B if we missed out on Hafley? I know everyone thought it was between Hafley and Fickell, but I think Jarmond had to pick between the two earlier in the process and Luke never made it to the Leahy round, but Marty had Lea as his reserve if things fell apart with Jeff. That's my recollection... it was only a year ago... but, damn it was a very long year.

Clark Lea definitely was one of the final names. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Clark Lea definitely was one of the final names. :ace

Most articles this week have said he was the runner up.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:59 pm

Dick have you heard anything about where ND will go for a Lea replacement? Marcus Freeman at Cincinnati seems like an obvious fit
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:02 pm

I think Thamel tweeted that Lukabu and quite a few other assistants are being considered for the gig
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:25 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Dick have you heard anything about where ND will go for a Lea replacement? Marcus Freeman at Cincinnati seems like an obvious fit

I have heard that they like Freeman, they like Grinch at Oklahoma (Grinch is a Midwestern guy, so they think there is a hook there), Jay Bateman from UNC, and John Heacock from Iowa State. There is also a possibility they promote from within like Tommy Rees--Mike Elston will get a look as he has done an amazing job taking DL from a terrible weakness to making it as good as anywhere in the country, he's also an ace recruiter. Don't know if he has the scheme chops to be a DC. There is also some buzz about Mike Mickens, which seems premature, but he is also apparently an star recruiter and a very good talent evaluator and Kelly just promoted a very young former player to be his OC, so I suppose it is within the realm of possibility.

Lukubu has received a few mentions, but usually as an extreme long shot along with Tyler Stockton (Ball State/former ND player), Scottie Hazelton (Michigan State) and a couple of NFL position coaches (Matt House (KC), Chris Hewitt (Baltimore) and Gerald Alexander (MIA).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:39 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Dick have you heard anything about where ND will go for a Lea replacement? Marcus Freeman at Cincinnati seems like an obvious fit

I have heard that they like Freeman, they like Grinch at Oklahoma (Grinch is a Midwestern guy, so they think there is a hook there), Jay Bateman from UNC, and John Heacock from Iowa State. There is also a possibility they promote from within like Tommy Rees--Mike Elston will get a look as he has done an amazing job taking DL from a terrible weakness to making it as good as anywhere in the country, he's also an ace recruiter. Don't know if he has the scheme chops to be a DC. There is also some buzz about Mike Mickens, which seems premature, but he is also apparently an star recruiter and a very good talent evaluator and Kelly just promoted a very young former player to be his OC, so I suppose it is within the realm of possibility.

Lukubu has received a few mentions, but usually as an extreme long shot along with Tyler Stockton (Ball State/former ND player), Scottie Hazelton (Michigan State) and a couple of NFL position coaches (Matt House (KC), Chris Hewitt (Baltimore) and Gerald Alexander (MIA).

One of the national guys said that Brian Kelly wants to run the same system on defense next year so I wouldn't be surprised if they promote within.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:26 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:I think Thamel tweeted that Lukabu and quite a few other assistants are being considered for the gig

I will be happily surprised if we are able to keep Lukabu and AA-R.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Will the program up the salaries of Lukabu and AAR to keep them from going to a diff school?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:47 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Will the program up the salaries of Lukabu and AAR to keep them from going to a diff school?

Not until we finish paying off the raises we negotiated with Daz and Bates to keep them from going to Michigan 5 years ago
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:58 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:I think Thamel tweeted that Lukabu and quite a few other assistants are being considered for the gig

bc has set up a distinct fund for coaches salary pool and is pushing it hard as we approach yearend. barring some program coming with some absurd offer i'm expecting to keep both
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:26 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

bc has set up a distinct fund for coaches salary pool and is pushing it hard as we approach yearend. barring some program coming with some absurd offer i'm expecting to keep both

BC has always had excellent assistants in BB and FB. We historically haven't had a problem hiring or keeping quality coaches. The problem has been not efficiently moving on from coaches who underperform. Nonetheless, I think one of the reasons we have done so well in the assistant category is because so many have moved onto better gigs. BC is a great opportunity to showcase your skills. You play elite competition and everyone is genuinely surprised by our success. Lukabu leaves, Hafley will have his hand in picking an equally good DC. I don't see the D (which wasn't great but better than its talent) as some sort of miracle season that can't be improved upon. AAR is a different matter. He is the current version of Al Golden. We've had super-recruiters in the past and they never make it beyond Year 2. Would love to find an exception.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Brett Bielema heading back to the BigTen as head coach for Illinois. I think that’s a pretty decent hire for a terrible program.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Brett Bielema heading back to the BigTen as head coach for Illinois. I think that’s a pretty decent hire for a terrible program.

Great hire for them.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:32 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Brett Bielema heading back to the BigTen as head coach for Illinois. I think that’s a pretty decent hire for a terrible program.

Great hire for them.

Surprised by the positive reaction. I think it’s a really poor hire. And why pay him $4m a year? Who are you competing against?
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:56 pm

He’s a pretty good coach but are you really going to out bully ball the other B1G teams? Same problems at Illinois that he had at Arkansas
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:03 pm

He won't be as good as he was at Wisconsin but he will make them better. No idea why they paid him that much.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:33 am

Bielema's agent must have figured out what the budget for the coaching search was
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:06 am

4 million is not that much and the Big 10 is horrible.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:17 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

BC has always had excellent assistants in BB and FB. We historically haven't had a problem hiring or keeping quality coaches. The problem has been not efficiently moving on from coaches who underperform. Nonetheless, I think one of the reasons we have done so well in the assistant category is because so many have moved onto better gigs. BC is a great opportunity to showcase your skills. You play elite competition and everyone is genuinely surprised by our success. Lukabu leaves, Hafley will have his hand in picking an equally good DC. I don't see the D (which wasn't great but better than its talent) as some sort of miracle season that can't be improved upon. AAR is a different matter. He is the current version of Al Golden. We've had super-recruiters in the past and they never make it beyond Year 2. Would love to find an exception.

The EO Coaching Staff has always had issues keeping good assistants :chewbanka
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium