Mohegan Bubble

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Mohegan Bubble

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:49 pm

Mitchell not closing out hands up or Tabbs spacing out on D isn’t a talent or athleticism issue.

Add Kelly getting pump faked from 30 feet.
Last edited by eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:On that last series of possessions every single player on the floor for Florida was more athletic than every player on the floor for BC. And that was before Karnak came in.

This isn’t the Olympic long jump competition. There’s enough athleticism to stay in front of the ball and box out if they actually tried or were coached to do so.

Its lesser athleticism than Army, apparently. So maybe its like middle of the road patriot league athleticism.

Bless his heart Rich Kelly keeps trying to go inside. Even when they just let him have it, he can't finish em.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Mitchell not closing out hands up or Tabbs spacing out on D isn’t a talent or athleticism issue.

Rich Kelly trying to stop the ball from the top whereby they throw up an alley oop to their 5 star Scottie lewis (who's like their 5th best player) while Winston Tabbs is 3 feet behind the play is absolutely an athleticism issue.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:53 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:On that last series of possessions every single player on the floor for Florida was more athletic than every player on the floor for BC. And that was before Karnak came in.

This isn’t the Olympic long jump competition. There’s enough athleticism to stay in front of the ball and box out if they actually tried or were coached to do so.

Its lesser athleticism than Army, apparently. So maybe its like middle of the road patriot league athleticism.

Bless his heart Rich Kelly keeps trying to go inside. Even when they just let him have it, he can't finish em.

It’s poor fundamentals. Not closing out correctly, spacing out on D, getting pumped from 30 feet are just dumb mental mistakes.

This UF team is better than BC, but not by 30 points.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:53 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Mitchell not closing out hands up or Tabbs spacing out on D isn’t a talent or athleticism issue.

Rich Kelly trying to stop the ball from the top whereby they throw up an alley oop to their 5 star Scottie lewis (who's like their 5th best player) while Winston Tabbs is 3 feet behind the play is absolutely an athleticism issue.

How is Tabbs spacing out on defense and forgetting to cover Lewis an athlete issue? It’s just a dumb mental mistake
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Heath looks lost.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:56 pm

Again, even if you want to argue they could be better defensively with better coaching/scheme (sure, I'm fine with that), the fact that every offensive possession is a guy dribbling around the perimeter, trying to go inside, can't, kick it out, start over tells you enough about talent and athleticism. Slower, smaller, less skilled and certainly no movement off the ball at all. 4 guys standing around the perimeter, none of which are good shooters.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:57 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Army plays defense. Good coaching.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Defense is all fundamentals and effort and about 0% athleticism. Unless you are talking blocked shots, which isn't really defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:00 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Again, even if you want to argue they could be better defensively with better coaching/scheme (sure, I'm fine with that), the fact that every offensive possession is a guy dribbling around the perimeter, trying to go inside, can't, kick it out, start over tells you enough about talent and athleticism. Slower, smaller, less skilled and certainly no movement off the ball at all. 4 guys standing around the perimeter, none of which are good shooters.

I can excuse the issues on offense (new parts, lack of practice, etc.)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Defense is all fundamentals and effort and about 0% athleticism. Unless you are talking blocked shots, which isn't really defense.

It’s this sadly
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

How is Tabbs spacing out on defense and forgetting to cover Lewis an athlete issue? It’s just a dumb mental mistake

You don't think other teams lose men in m2m sometimes? Athleticism means you can recover/react/you have rim protectors anyway/ etc. It was just 1 play, and not the most egregious example, but watching our guys defending a poorly executed alley oop and then saying "there's no difference in athleticism here" is crazy to me.

There is a not a chance for a pro (other than Demarr who we just haven't seen enough/anything of yet, so thats more of a "i'll trust the recruiting profile until proven otherwise") on this roster. I don't know how thats arguable. And so how can you conclude its not a talent issue?

Me and Dick's favorite comparison point - St. Bonnies - have 2 future pro's on their roster right now. They're like 4th or 5th best in the A-10.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:04 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

You don't think other teams lose men in m2m sometimes? Athleticism means you can recover/react/you have rim protectors anyway/ etc. It was just 1 play, and not the most egregious example, but watching our guys defending a poorly executed alley oop and then saying "there's no difference in athleticism here" is crazy to me.

There is a not a chance for a pro (other than Demarr who we just haven't seen enough/anything of yet, so thats more of a "i'll trust the recruiting profile until proven otherwise") on this roster. I don't know how thats arguable. And so how can you conclude its not a talent issue?

Me and Dick's favorite comparison point - St. Bonnies - have 2 future pro's on their roster right now. They're like 4th or 5th best in the A-10.

Hey look, Dick has a pet!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:04 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Not as often as we lose guys in M2M.

If you can’t do better than 4th in the A10 with two NBA players you also have a coaching problem.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:05 pm

BC is also never going to land the Scottie Lewis’s of the world, so I’d strongly suggest we find a coach who can compensate for that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Ok, so there's 30 seconds of effort by MAL and it leads to 2 florida turnovers, a bunch of terrible offense by us, and then a fast break layup by Florida.

Thats not a talent issue? C'mon.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:06 pm

I could swear Schmidt was the next Red Auerbach.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:06 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Ok, so there's 30 seconds of effort by MAL and it leads to 2 florida turnovers, a bunch of terrible offense by us, and then a fast break layup by Florida.

Thats not a talent issue? C'mon.

It’s a “we quit on this game about an hour ago” issue.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:08 pm

Is Steph hurt or something?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:10 pm

PS, the Bonnies do not have 2 future NBA players on their roster.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:12 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Also just a reminder we were bad with 2 NBA guards (including a lottery pick). That’s a problem.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:13 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

I haven't been on much for these comments. Are you guys thinking BC should hire Schmidt to install the early-80s full court press system?
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I could swear Schmidt was the next Red Auerbach.

He's far better than christian, which has always been the point. This idea that our talent is improving and its just scheme is crazy. Christian can't recruit, at all, and his scheme of course is terrible. I don't think Schmidt is a schematic genius, but he gets equal or better talent to Olean, NY than Christian gets to fucking Boston College.

I just take issue with the implication that this team could compete with a better coach. The issue is way more pervasive than that. Saying the talent is better than Donahue is the absolute lowest of low bars. Steff Mitchell has been one of Jimmy C's recent recruiting wins, and he's a guy that, if this team was remotely competitive in any of his 4 years in the program, probably would've played like 8 minutes a night for some energy.

Yes, Jim Christian being competely non competitive the one time he actually had tournament talent (when Bowman and Robinson manned the backcourt) was a coaching travesty, but thats been the exception, not the rule. This year, we'll be out talented in most of the remaining games, on top of, of course, out-coached.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Please keep Makai Ashton Langford out there. He gives a shit
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:17 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:

He's far better than christian, which has always been the point. This idea that our talent is improving and its just scheme is crazy. Christian can't recruit, at all, and his scheme of course is terrible. I don't think Schmidt is a schematic genius, but he gets equal or better talent to Olean, NY than Christian gets to fucking Boston College.

I just take issue with the implication that this team could compete with a better coach. The issue is way more pervasive than that. Saying the talent is better than Donahue is the absolute lowest of low bars. Steff Mitchell has been one of Jimmy C's recent recruiting wins, and he's a guy that, if this team was remotely competitive in any of his 4 years in the program, probably would've played like 8 minutes a night for some energy.

Yes, Jim Christian being competely non competitive the one time he actually had tournament talent (when Bowman and Robinson manned the backcourt) was a coaching travesty, but thats been the exception, not the rule. This year, we'll be out talented in most of the remaining games, on top of, of course, out-coached.

Christian sucks. Schmidt is just a guy at a mediocre middling program in a mediocre conference. Not sure what you are arguing.

I thought it was that defense was all about athletic ability. Steph Mitchell is not a very good athlete, but around here I hear he is Marcus Smart reincarnate.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:19 pm

Fielder trying to cover these dudes driving is a travesty.

Stop pressing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:19 pm

This is late-stage Donahue give up. They just don’t buy Christian anymore
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Christian sucks. Schmidt is just a guy at a mediocre middling program in a mediocre conference. Not sure what you are arguing.

I thought it was that defense was all about athletic ability. Steph Mitchell is not a very good athlete, but around here I hear he is Marcus Smart reincarnate.

Steph tries at defense which is more than I can say for most the squad.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:21 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Steph tries at defense which is more than I can say for most the squad.

He's a decent college defender. He also does the floppy dive fake hustle bullshit that people mistake for defense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:21 pm

The talent is there where is the leadership. When the announcers are calling out the coaching staff on a nationally televised game on ESPN? There’s a sell for recruits
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum