Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Lt. Dingleberry {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Of course a guy with a 5-4 record whose teams have imploded spectacularly in over half of the games he's coached would go to Michigan or Penn State. The question is, why is this even being discussed?

Those "implosions" were entirely due to inferior talent on the field. Anyone in the front office with a brain could recognize he is a good coach and a good candidate.

What about the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties? How much talent does it take not to shove a guy 5 seconds after the whistle?

You're right. This is certainly the most important coaching measure. In fact, I'd rather have an authoritarian imbecile who rubs marinara sauce on his OL's taints than a more permissive guy that watches the game in front of him and makes actual real time adjustments. At least we had less penalties!

Of course I'm right.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:My only point is if he gets offered by Penn St., Michigan or the NFL he's gone.

Had a long post written that got deleted.

Crux of the post is that he would leave for Penn State but not Michigan. Michigan is a dumpster fire of a program (recent tOSU losses and lack of relevance for national titles) when considering the program's expectations. No big name coach will take that job (at least not the type of name their boosters will want) because it's a several year rebuild. Best they can hope for is Luke Ficknell (but I think he may pass on it as well because i think there are much better jobs waiting for him).

i would like to get phil markoff's opinion on this but it seems that after talking a big game about how awesome michigan is and how no recruit would ever turn down the opportunity to play there he disappeared like a murderer in the night
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:19 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:My only point is if he gets offered by Penn St., Michigan or the NFL he's gone.

Crux of the post is that he would leave for Penn State but not Michigan. Michigan is a dumpster fire of a program (recent tOSU losses and lack of relevance for national titles) when considering the program's expectations. No big name coach will take that job (at least not the type of name their boosters will want) because it's a several year rebuild. Best they can hope for is Luke Ficknell (but I think he may pass on it as well because i think there are much better jobs waiting for him).

i would like to get phil markoff's opinion on this but it seems that after talking a big game about how awesome michigan is and how no recruit would ever turn down the opportunity to play there he disappeared like a murderer in the night

Along with UM’s legitimacy. If Rutgers somehow wins this week it will be even more interesting.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Of course a guy with a 5-4 record whose teams have imploded spectacularly in over half of the games he's coached would go to Michigan or Penn State. The question is, why is this even being discussed?

Those "implosions" were entirely due to inferior talent on the field. Anyone in the front office with a brain could recognize he is a good coach and a good candidate.

What about the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties? How much talent does it take not to shove a guy 5 seconds after the whistle?

You're right. This is certainly the most important coaching measure. In fact, I'd rather have an authoritarian imbecile who rubs marinara sauce on his OL's taints than a more permissive guy that watches the game in front of him and makes actual real time adjustments. At least we had less penalties!

This is a good TRE alias
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Michigan is a dumpster fire, but the dumpster is smaller than UCLA
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:17 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

Go look at Alabama's records by season in the early 2000s before Saban arrived. They were much worse than Michigan is now (4-9 in 2003!). No talented, upwardly focused coach is passing the opportunity to coach Michigan. You do a good job there and you are set for life.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Lt. Dingleberry on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
This is a good TRE alias

:bag
Lt. Dingleberry
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Go look at Alabama's records by season in the early 2000s before Saban arrived. They were much worse than Michigan is now (4-9 in 2003!). No talented, upwardly focused coach is passing the opportunity to coach Michigan. You do a good job there and you are set for life.

The only way to be set for life is to let Jesus into your heart. No amount of success on the football field is a replacement for faith.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

The only way to be set for life is to let Jesus into your heart. No amount of success on the football field is a replacement for faith.

Pretty sure that's the strategy for being set for death. The tithing is kind of a drag.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Pretty sure that's the strategy for being set for death. The tithing is kind of a drag.

Unless you are a shitty person who needs to buy their way into heaven.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Unless you are a shitty person who needs to buy their way into heaven.

:81
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:08 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:also has flown under the radar for me as we don't play them this year but what a f'ing trainwreck FSU is. destroyed by louisville, pitt, & nc state on consecutive weekends

And yet somehow blew the doors off of UNC. FSU lost its way when it became a national program. They got where they were under Bowden by recruiting the hell out of Florida. At some point, they seemed to get away from that and tried grabbing kids from around the country. Ohio State needs to do that because rust belt kids are slow. But, FSU should've just mined their well-known territory. They could be a top 10 team by consistently landing their 3rd Choice Florida prospects. Personally, I think they pulled the plug too soon on Willie Taggart. I'm not saying he was going to turn it around, I'm just saying that you don't have to fire the guy after only 2 years when you have no targeted replacement (other than the meh Mike Norvell... at least take Mark Stoops). FSU's roster should be composed of 90% Floridian kids (half of whom would not be accepted into The U (be it for academic or legal issues)).

Leaving aside whatever you thought of Taggart I can’t believe they moved on as fast as they did. The whole roster needed to be burned down after Jimbo let things go to hell on his way out. There was no quick path back from Jimbo.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e-football
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:30 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:also has flown under the radar for me as we don't play them this year but what a f'ing trainwreck FSU is. destroyed by louisville, pitt, & nc state on consecutive weekends

And yet somehow blew the doors off of UNC. FSU lost its way when it became a national program. They got where they were under Bowden by recruiting the hell out of Florida. At some point, they seemed to get away from that and tried grabbing kids from around the country. Ohio State needs to do that because rust belt kids are slow. But, FSU should've just mined their well-known territory. They could be a top 10 team by consistently landing their 3rd Choice Florida prospects. Personally, I think they pulled the plug too soon on Willie Taggart. I'm not saying he was going to turn it around, I'm just saying that you don't have to fire the guy after only 2 years when you have no targeted replacement (other than the meh Mike Norvell... at least take Mark Stoops). FSU's roster should be composed of 90% Floridian kids (half of whom would not be accepted into The U (be it for academic or legal issues)).

Leaving aside whatever you thought of Taggart I can’t believe they moved on as fast as they did. The whole roster needed to be burned down after Jimbo let things go to hell on his way out. There was no quick path back from Jimbo.

This was a great article. I think Norvell is going to have a lot of trouble there because they’re still on the way down. That’s what was so weird about making the move when they did. It was pretty obvious that they were in for 4 or 5 years of shit after Jimbo, and instead of letting one guy take all the heat they saddle Norvell with a few bad seasons at the start of his tenure. Pretty clear that Taggart was the wrong guy, but it could have been convenient to let him burn the thing to the ground so that the next guy could have been moving in the right direction from the start. Obviously there’s donations and boosters to worry about so you probably couldn’t get away with that, but it’ll take a while for them to come back.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This was a great article. I think Norvell is going to have a lot of trouble there because they’re still on the way down. That’s what was so weird about making the move when they did. It was pretty obvious that they were in for 4 or 5 years of shit after Jimbo, and instead of letting one guy take all the heat they saddle Norvell with a few bad seasons at the start of his tenure. Pretty clear that Taggart was the wrong guy, but it could have been convenient to let him burn the thing to the ground so that the next guy could have been moving in the right direction from the start. Obviously there’s donations and boosters to worry about so you probably couldn’t get away with that, but it’ll take a while for them to come back.

Great article until they just haaaaaaaaaaaaad to throw in the "Taggart got fired because of racism" angle at the end there. It's all so tiresome.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Great article until they just haaaaaaaaaaaaad to throw in the "Taggart got fired because of racism" angle at the end there. It's all so tiresome.

David M. Hale was always the worst of the aliass Hales.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:00 am

Article raised an interesting point that I had forgotten. Jameis gets suspended for the game that allows Clemson to finally beat FSU and become the ACC champs. If he's not suspended and Clemson loses, does the balance of power in the ACC never shift? does Clemson never go onto the roaring success of this decade? Does winning keep FSU from imploding for a few more years?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:24 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Article raised an interesting point that I had forgotten. Jameis gets suspended for the game that allows Clemson to finally beat FSU and become the ACC champs. If he's not suspended and Clemson loses, does the balance of power in the ACC never shift? does Clemson never go onto the roaring success of this decade? Does winning keep FSU from imploding for a few more years?

They won the game Jameis was suspended for. They lost to Clemson the next season (and every year since) while Jameis was in the NFL.

Weird that the article didn't mention their inspiring upset victory a week after firing Taggart.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Great article until they just haaaaaaaaaaaaad to throw in the "Taggart got fired because of racism" angle at the end there. It's all so tiresome.

David M. Hale was always the worst of the aliass Hales.

This was a good post and you should be proud.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:54 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:Haf poachers out of the mix for a bit. Hafley isn't leaving after one year.

Why not? He left tOSU after one season. If a similarly massive bump comes up this off-season, he'll jump... just like any other coach would.

Agree but a college that he would leave for (unless he and/or his wife just want out) would not offer the job to a 7-4 (best case) coach whose best win was against Pitt.

Penn State is the only college job I see Hafley leaving us for.

There, I said it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ght-police
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:Haf poachers out of the mix for a bit. Hafley isn't leaving after one year.

Why not? He left tOSU after one season. If a similarly massive bump comes up this off-season, he'll jump... just like any other coach would.

Agree but a college that he would leave for (unless he and/or his wife just want out) would not offer the job to a 7-4 (best case) coach whose best win was against Pitt.

There, I said it.

Young people are soft now... A little bit of hazing builds character and makes one stronger.
As long as the older players aren't forcing elephant walks or some other type of literal sexual and/or physical assault, who gives a shit?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

There, I said it.

Young people are soft now... A little bit of hazing builds character and makes one stronger.
As long as the older players aren't forcing elephant walks or some other type of literal sexual and/or physical assault, who gives a shit?

So in other words, as long as they aren't doing the shit the Penn State kids are accused of.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 am

He alleges in the complaint that Barber, Parsons, Gross-Matos and did the following to him and certain other players:

Took their clothes and did not return them.
Told them they intended to make them “their bitch because this is a prison.”
Wrestled them down and simulating a humping action while on top of them.
Placed their penis in their faces while simulating ejaculation.
Placed their penis on and in their buttocks.
Humphries claims he was referred to as “this is Jerry” in reference to former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky who was convicted of child sex abuse.

Good call, hansen. You knw what to do.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
He alleges in the complaint that Barber, Parsons, Gross-Matos and did the following to him and certain other players:

Humphries claims he was referred to as “this is Jerry” in reference to former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky who was convicted of child sex abuse.

I think dick in (and on) the ass definitely crossed a line but otherwise seems like normal locker room antics?

"oh no, these mean boys pretended to blow a load on my face how am I ever going to live my life now?" :roll: :roll: :roll:

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I think dick in (and on) the ass definitely crossed a line but otherwise seems like normal locker room antics?

"oh no, these mean boys pretended to blow a load on my face how am I ever going to live my life now?" :roll: :roll: :roll:

And look at you now, owning on the Interwebs, Thank god for the dudes teabagging you on the cross country team or we would have been deprived of your insight.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Interrupting Hansen’s defense of rape, Matt Patricia just got shit canned by the Lions. Has there ever been a successful coach off the Belichick Coaching Tree? Bill O’Brien is probably the most successful and the fact that Charlie Weis is in the top half in terms of success is remarkable.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Interrupting Hansen’s defense of rape, Matt Patricia just got shit canned by the Lions. Has there ever been a successful coach off the Belichick Coaching Tree? Bill O’Brien is probably the most successful and the fact that Charlie Weis is in the top half in terms of success is remarkable.

Belichick’s coaching tree would be better if these guys moved to college instead of other pro teams. BOB did extremely well at Ped State. Charlie had brief success turning around Winningham’s program. I think Joe Judge and Matt Patricia both are so clearly better suited to be “teaching” college kids than trying to handle professional millionaires. Flores and Vrabel seem like guys who have NFL staying power (though both could be great in college as well).

As for Belichick... this year is beginning to show that he may have simply been the beneficiary of the greatest QB in history during a time when offenses evolved so the QB became more important. Perhaps, Bill is just football’s version of Phil Jackson.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Interrupting Hansen’s defense of rape, Matt Patricia just got shit canned by the Lions. Has there ever been a successful coach off the Belichick Coaching Tree? Bill O’Brien is probably the most successful and the fact that Charlie Weis is in the top half in terms of success is remarkable.

Belichick’s coaching tree would be better if these guys moved to college instead of other pro teams. BOB did extremely well at Ped State. Charlie had brief success turning around Winningham’s program. I think Joe Judge and Matt Patricia both are so clearly better suited to be “teaching” college kids than trying to handle professional millionaires. Flores and Vrabel seem like guys who have NFL staying power (though both could be great in college as well).

As for Belichick... this year is beginning to show that he may have simply been the beneficiary of the greatest QB in history during a time when offenses evolved so the QB became more important. Perhaps, Bill is just football’s version of Phil Jackson.

Joe Judge is a grand slam. You are wrong Pat Shurmur did not just need more time. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Flores has the makeup to be a great pro coach.

And lol at HJS hot take.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:48 pm

Nick Saban
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Familiar name running the helm at Vanderbilt after Mason gets his walking papers.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium