Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 am

urban playing placement agent? sounds like another job opportunity for dazziani!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:59 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:also has flown under the radar for me as we don't play them this year but what a f'ing trainwreck FSU is. destroyed by louisville, pitt, & nc state on consecutive weekends

And yet somehow blew the doors off of UNC. FSU lost its way when it became a national program. They got where they were under Bowden by recruiting the hell out of Florida. At some point, they seemed to get away from that and tried grabbing kids from around the country. Ohio State needs to do that because rust belt kids are slow. But, FSU should've just mined their well-known territory. They could be a top 10 team by consistently landing their 3rd Choice Florida prospects. Personally, I think they pulled the plug too soon on Willie Taggart. I'm not saying he was going to turn it around, I'm just saying that you don't have to fire the guy after only 2 years when you have no targeted replacement (other than the meh Mike Norvell... at least take Mark Stoops). FSU's roster should be composed of 90% Floridian kids (half of whom would not be accepted into The U (be it for academic or legal issues)).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:also has flown under the radar for me as we don't play them this year but what a f'ing trainwreck FSU is. destroyed by louisville, pitt, & nc state on consecutive weekends

And yet somehow blew the doors off of UNC. FSU lost its way when it became a national program. They got where they were under Bowden by recruiting the hell out of Florida. At some point, they seemed to get away from that and tried grabbing kids from around the country. Ohio State needs to do that because rust belt kids are slow. But, FSU should've just mined their well-known territory. They could be a top 10 team by consistently landing their 3rd Choice Florida prospects. Personally, I think they pulled the plug too soon on Willie Taggart. I'm not saying he was going to turn it around, I'm just saying that you don't have to fire the guy after only 2 years when you have no targeted replacement (other than the meh Mike Norvell... at least take Mark Stoops). FSU's roster should be composed of 90% Floridian kids (half of whom would not be accepted into The U (be it for academic or legal issues)).

Leaving aside whatever you thought of Taggart I can’t believe they moved on as fast as they did. The whole roster needed to be burned down after Jimbo let things go to hell on his way out. There was no quick path back from Jimbo.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I think Florida recruiting has changed with the directional FL schools having success along with FIU, FAU, etc. It's not like the old days where it was only UF and FSU dominating the parts of FL not Miami and it's suburbs.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:45 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:James Yoder @JamesTYoder
12h
Michigan LB Coach Al Washington will accept a job with Michigan’s arch rival Ohio State.

While Jim Harbaugh is vacationing after a blowout bowl loss, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day just stole away one of Michigan’s best recruiters in his 1st day on the job.

Chess. Not checkers.

Will Harbaugh survive this year short of beating 0.0hio St? Don't know what his buyout is but assume it is a lot. For financial and PR (outside of the SEC) reasons it will be very difficult for schools to fire the head coach this year. They will probably need boosters to pay for the buyout if they want to get rid of him.
3rd down Donnie Brown is going to target Mass recruits no matter where he ends up and Mass has always sent kids to Mich (Laro, McMurtey, Collins... ) but Mich has never made Mass a recruiting priority they way they have with Brown.

Isn’t it just a handshake right now? I thought it was getting low and they were negotiating pre Covid. I think he could be out this year.

Michigan needs to recruit nationally if they want to keep up with tOSU. I’m sure Brown will keep recruiting MA, but I also wonder if he’ll retire after this. He’s pushing 70?

Harbaugh is not going anywhere. The job is his until he no longer wants it.

How is that possible? He is the 4th highest paid coach, 0-5 against their rival, 1-4 in bowl games, no Rose Bowls or BCS...

It’s possible when you consider (as amply proven by posters here) that Michigan fans are as idiotic as their kissing cousins at Ped State.

It would be us firing Flutie. If it gets to a point where they decide he needs to go, it will be him resigning for the greater good/him leaving for the NFL. He will not be fired.

I do not think Harbaugh is anywhere near as revered. However, the parallel would be us hiring Flores after he brought the Dolphins to the Super Bowl... or maybe a BOB-like situation (where there is a BC connection and success in college and pros). Nonetheless, I agree with you. They were so certain that Harbaugh was the perfect response to Urban that they won't let go of it regardless of the results. In their mind, it is just a matter of time for HCRD to fall on his face without Urban's recruits and Big Blue rises again under the Michigan Man.

That said, as posted in the "Other games" thread... "Harbaugh is still respected there based on his time as a player and success with the 49ers. I actually think you could see a lot of college coaches make the jump this year. The coordinator pool in the NFL is littered with retreads who are unlikely to get 2nd/3rd chances. Saban, Riley, Dabo, Franklin, Shaw, Harbaugh, HCRD, Urban... they all are better than what’s sitting around the coordinator booth." To that point, I see Jim Harbaugh being a possibility for the Jets. Joe Douglas spent 15 years with the Ravens and likely has some relationship with John Harbaugh (that could be a link to Jim).

I may end up being wrong about Harbaugh after Saturday's historic loss for Michigan (worst deficit at half time and home loss since like 1903) but still maintain that Don Brown will be unemployed at Michigan before Jim Harbaugh is. Some truly head-scratching play calling including a QB designed run on 3rd & 8 down 28 points in the second quarter.

Someone suggested the ISU head coach to replace Jim which is laugh out loud funny. Michigan will hire nothing short of a sure thing if they get rid of Harbaugh. A friend in Detroit told me sports talk radio is saying Michigan will throw any money he wants at Urban Meyer not to even coach but just to help them find the right guy.

Don Brown is my least favorite coach type. The "we're going to run our scheme regardless of opponent and then make no adjustments during the game on it" is a terrible way to coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I think Florida recruiting has changed with the directional FL schools having success along with FIU, FAU, etc. It's not like the old days where it was only UF and FSU dominating the parts of FL not Miami and it's suburbs.

Those directional schools have found success because FSU ignored those 2nd tier prospects. The reason why "Florida recruiting has changed" is because FSU changed it by ignoring their base and chasing recruiting stars from around the country.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Don Brown is my least favorite coach type. The "we're going to run our scheme regardless of opponent and then make no adjustments during the game on it" is a terrible way to coach.

It's this and we saw it his first two seasons at BC. We didn't have the athletes to run his system, but he didn't adjust at all and we wasted some nice HCRD offense performances. Over time, we got the players and ran the system effectively. But, those first two years, Third Down Donnie Brown was just terrible.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:James Yoder @JamesTYoder
12h
Michigan LB Coach Al Washington will accept a job with Michigan’s arch rival Ohio State.

While Jim Harbaugh is vacationing after a blowout bowl loss, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day just stole away one of Michigan’s best recruiters in his 1st day on the job.

Chess. Not checkers.

Will Harbaugh survive this year short of beating 0.0hio St? Don't know what his buyout is but assume it is a lot. For financial and PR (outside of the SEC) reasons it will be very difficult for schools to fire the head coach this year. They will probably need boosters to pay for the buyout if they want to get rid of him.
3rd down Donnie Brown is going to target Mass recruits no matter where he ends up and Mass has always sent kids to Mich (Laro, McMurtey, Collins... ) but Mich has never made Mass a recruiting priority they way they have with Brown.

Isn’t it just a handshake right now? I thought it was getting low and they were negotiating pre Covid. I think he could be out this year.

Michigan needs to recruit nationally if they want to keep up with tOSU. I’m sure Brown will keep recruiting MA, but I also wonder if he’ll retire after this. He’s pushing 70?

Harbaugh is not going anywhere. The job is his until he no longer wants it.

How is that possible? He is the 4th highest paid coach, 0-5 against their rival, 1-4 in bowl games, no Rose Bowls or BCS...

It’s possible when you consider (as amply proven by posters here) that Michigan fans are as idiotic as their kissing cousins at Ped State.

It would be us firing Flutie. If it gets to a point where they decide he needs to go, it will be him resigning for the greater good/him leaving for the NFL. He will not be fired.

I do not think Harbaugh is anywhere near as revered. However, the parallel would be us hiring Flores after he brought the Dolphins to the Super Bowl... or maybe a BOB-like situation (where there is a BC connection and success in college and pros). Nonetheless, I agree with you. They were so certain that Harbaugh was the perfect response to Urban that they won't let go of it regardless of the results. In their mind, it is just a matter of time for HCRD to fall on his face without Urban's recruits and Big Blue rises again under the Michigan Man.

That said, as posted in the "Other games" thread... "Harbaugh is still respected there based on his time as a player and success with the 49ers. I actually think you could see a lot of college coaches make the jump this year. The coordinator pool in the NFL is littered with retreads who are unlikely to get 2nd/3rd chances. Saban, Riley, Dabo, Franklin, Shaw, Harbaugh, HCRD, Urban... they all are better than what’s sitting around the coordinator booth." To that point, I see Jim Harbaugh being a possibility for the Jets. Joe Douglas spent 15 years with the Ravens and likely has some relationship with John Harbaugh (that could be a link to Jim).

I may end up being wrong about Harbaugh after Saturday's historic loss for Michigan (worst deficit at half time and home loss since like 1903) but still maintain that Don Brown will be unemployed at Michigan before Jim Harbaugh is. Some truly head-scratching play calling including a QB designed run on 3rd & 8 down 28 points in the second quarter.

Someone suggested the ISU head coach to replace Jim which is laugh out loud funny. Michigan will hire nothing short of a sure thing if they get rid of Harbaugh. A friend in Detroit told me sports talk radio is saying Michigan will throw any money he wants at Urban Meyer not to even coach but just to help them find the right guy.

Don Brown is my least favorite coach type. The "we're going to run our scheme regardless of opponent and then make no adjustments during the game on it" is a terrible way to coach.

Yeah, that was awful when the defense was actually good.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:04 pm

It would be a good thing for us if PSU and Michigan replace their coaches this year, probably takes two of the most likely Haf poachers out of the mix for a bit. Hafley isn't leaving after one year.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:59 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Haf poachers out of the mix for a bit. Hafley isn't leaving after one year.

Why not? He left tOSU after one season. If a similarly massive bump comes up this off-season, he'll jump... just like any other coach would.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:Haf poachers out of the mix for a bit. Hafley isn't leaving after one year.

Why not? He left tOSU after one season. If a similarly massive bump comes up this off-season, he'll jump... just like any other coach would.

Agree but a college that he would leave for (unless he and/or his wife just want out) would not offer the job to a 7-4 (best case) coach whose best win was against Pitt.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Lt. Dingleberry on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:05 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Agree but a college that he would leave for (unless he and/or his wife just want out) would not offer the job to a 7-4 (best case) coach whose best win was against Pitt.

Kliff Kingsbury had 2 out of 6 seasons above .500 at TTU and still got poached by the Cardinals (now one of the most upward trending franchises in the NFL). Hafley brings a similar likable persona and general intelligence. Like with Kingsbury, the fear with having such a presentable and well-connected coach is that his stock rises regardless of BC's performance.
Lt. Dingleberry
n00b

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Penn State is the only college job I see Hafley leaving us for.

There, I said it.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Lt. Dingleberry {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Kliff Kingsbury had 2 out of 6 seasons above .500 at TTU and still got poached by the Cardinals (now one of the most upward trending franchises in the NFL). Hafley brings a similar likable persona and general intelligence. Like with Kingsbury, the fear with having such a presentable and well-connected coach is that his stock rises regardless of BC's performance.

I could seeing an NFL team offering JH after this season, but not a college baby rapists.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:57 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

That was DC to HC, not the same. He's also got a pretty good gig here - everyone absolutely loves him and is rallying behind him, zero pressure, he seems to like the area, and he has potentially 3 more years of your boy Phil Jurkovec. Moving his family and young daughters back to back years in a pandemic just to go from a program that goes 7-5 every year to one that goes 8-4 sounds like a drag. NFL maybe a different story.

He will be considered, but going 6-5 or 7-4 here isn't going to get him those jobs anyways. After next year he'll be one of the top names on the market and could realistically jump to the NFL.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:57 pm

He will only leave after he beats Clemson. He's come close twice, he won't leave until it happens.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:23 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:He will only leave after he beats Clemson. He's come close twice, he won't leave until it happens.

You all are crazy. He’d leave here for Penn St or Michigan tomorrow and I wouldn’t blame him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:He will only leave after he beats Clemson. He's come close twice, he won't leave until it happens.

You all are crazy. He’d leave here for Penn St or Michigan tomorrow and I wouldn’t blame him.

This debate is eerily reminiscent of "Is Shinskie going to leave early for the NFL?".

Right now, he won't get a sniff of either job. I do think he would leave for Penn State in a heartbeat but I disagree about Michigan (at least not after one year here).

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:06 am

Of course a guy with a 5-4 record whose teams have imploded spectacularly in over half of the games he's coached would go to Michigan or Penn State. The question is, why is this even being discussed?

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:37 am

I'd guess if Hafley's team knocked off Clemson and ND, he'd be a hot commodity, but anything else is silly. Why would a GM or AD stake their job on a guy who has been an assistant till this year and who is basically coaching at BC's par (for the past decade)?

Fun from the wayback machine: Adazzio wasn't distracted by rumors Florida wanted to poach him https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014 ... story.html
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Lt. Dingleberry on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Of course a guy with a 5-4 record whose teams have imploded spectacularly in over half of the games he's coached would go to Michigan or Penn State. The question is, why is this even being discussed?

Those "implosions" were entirely due to inferior talent on the field. Anyone in the front office with a brain could recognize he is a good coach and a good candidate.
Lt. Dingleberry
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:16 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

It is this. Utter nonsense that a coach would stay for "less pressure" when he has a chance to get a big job. Be it the NFL or a BabyRapist... Hafley is gone the day he's offered... just like anyone else in the profession. These guys don't enter the occupation hoping for a nice landing spot where they can raise their kids. You want to have people who other places want. But, to do so, you need to not be all triggered when they leave (or show interest). If things go well, Hafley won't be here in Year 4.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:18 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Of course a guy with a 5-4 record whose teams have imploded spectacularly in over half of the games he's coached would go to Michigan or Penn State. The question is, why is this even being discussed?

Those "implosions" were entirely due to inferior talent on the field. Anyone in the front office with a brain could recognize he is a good coach and a good candidate.

What about the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties? How much talent does it take not to shove a guy 5 seconds after the whistle?

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Lt. Dingleberry on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

What about the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties? How much talent does it take not to shove a guy 5 seconds after the whistle?

You're right. This is certainly the most important coaching measure. In fact, I'd rather have an authoritarian imbecile who rubs marinara sauce on his OL's taints than a more permissive guy that watches the game in front of him and makes actual real time adjustments. At least we had less penalties!
Lt. Dingleberry
n00b

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:57 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

It is this. Utter nonsense that a coach would stay for "less pressure" when he has a chance to get a big job. Be it the NFL or a BabyRapist... Hafley is gone the day he's offered... just like anyone else in the profession. These guys don't enter the occupation hoping for a nice landing spot where they can raise their kids. You want to have people who other places want. But, to do so, you need to not be all triggered when they leave (or show interest). If things go well, Hafley won't be here in Year 4.

We are really slaying Strawmen today. Other than hansen being hansen, who is say that JF wouldn't jump at a NFL or baby rapists offer? My argument is that no AD from a baby rapists is going to offer him after this season.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:18 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:We are really slaying Strawmen today. Other than hansen being hansen, who is say that JF wouldn't jump at a NFL or baby rapists offer? My argument is that no AD from a baby rapists is going to offer him after this season.

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That was DC to HC, not the same. He's also got a pretty good gig here - everyone absolutely loves him and is rallying behind him, zero pressure, he seems to like the area, and he has potentially 3 more years of your boy Phil Jurkovec. Moving his family and young daughters back to back years in a pandemic just to go from a program that goes 7-5 every year to one that goes 8-4 sounds like a drag. NFL maybe a different story.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:We are really slaying Strawmen today. Other than hansen being hansen, who is say that JF wouldn't jump at a NFL or baby rapists offer? My argument is that no AD from a baby rapists is going to offer him after this season.

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Ha - touché. Somehow I missed that bit of brilliance.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby StratEagle on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The point is that context and timing matter, this isn't all in a vacuum. I said he'd probably bolt after next season....

Imagine thinking Grosel should start over Jurkovec.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:33 pm

My only point is if he gets offered by Penn St., Michigan or the NFL he's gone.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:My only point is if he gets offered by Penn St., Michigan or the NFL he's gone.

Had a long post written that got deleted.

Crux of the post is that he would leave for Penn State but not Michigan. Michigan is a dumpster fire of a program (recent tOSU losses and lack of relevance for national titles) when considering the program's expectations. No big name coach will take that job (at least not the type of name their boosters will want) because it's a several year rebuild. Best they can hope for is Luke Ficknell (but I think he may pass on it as well because i think there are much better jobs waiting for him).

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium