Notre Dame Week

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Notre Dame Week

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:16 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:The uniforms are amazing, but it's silly to be hosting the Red Bandanna game months after the 9/11 anniversary. It should be the game closest to it every year.

No. Playing Texas State or UMASS in the bandanna game is dumb. It should be the biggest home game on the schedule.

Exactly. It’s not “the 9/11 game.”

The biggest home game of the year is already the biggest home game of the year. Honor Welles and the sacrifice he made on 9/11 by making the tribute then, the tribute is about him not football. At the very least, don't do it in November.... it could have been UNC.

There are other avenues where we can make cool uniforms and get hyped up for big games if that is being treated as the priority.

That's right, it is about him and not the date. The opponent should be a good one if you are trying to honor him. No one is suggesting using it as an artificial hype machine other than you, we are suggesting the opponent should be a good one when you are honoring someone.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:The uniforms are amazing, but it's silly to be hosting the Red Bandanna game months after the 9/11 anniversary. It should be the game closest to it every year.

No. Playing Texas State or UMASS in the bandanna game is dumb. It should be the biggest home game on the schedule.

The biggest home game of the year is already the biggest home game of the year. Honor Welles and the sacrifice he made on 9/11 by making the tribute then, the tribute is about him not football. At the very least, don't do it in November.... it could have been UNC.

There are other avenues where we can make cool uniforms and get hyped up for big games if that is being treated as the priority.

That's right, it is about him and not the date. The opponent should be a good one if you are trying to honor him. No one is suggesting using it as an artificial hype machine other than you, we are suggesting the opponent should be a good one when you are honoring someone.

How long until someone other than me points out that trading in on the heroism of a dead kid to sell merchandise is tacky? Wish the players would just wear a red bandanna under their helmet.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:01 pm

i mean they give the proceeds to his foundation
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:21 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How long until someone other than me points out that trading in on the heroism of a dead kid to sell merchandise is tacky? Wish the players would just wear a red bandanna under their helmet.

BC isn’t actively marketing the red bandana gear. We had to practically beg Meatbaum on Twitter to let us know when we could actually buy it. So it’s not like the school is trying to make a cheap, fast buck off his story.

In other words, fuck off funishment

I respect you and your satirical maga agenda even if it’s jumped the shark a bit in the last week or so
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Good effort Simple Jack.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:20 pm

BC Bookstore was selling the white jersey with the bandanna pattern within the number 19.

Shame that aren't any BC jerseys with "5" or "4" available.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Lt. Dingleberry on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:The biggest home game of the year is already the biggest home game of the year. Honor Welles and the sacrifice he made on 9/11 by making the tribute then, the tribute is about him not football. At the very least, don't do it in November.... it could have been UNC.

this.
Lt. Dingleberry
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 am

The strawmen in this thread sound like jerks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 am

ACCN had Mrs Crowther on and she spoke about what the game means to her and the family.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:50 am

Fact is, the Crowthers liked the TV eyeballs on the game. That’s always going to mean biggest opponent. Would be nice if we could work with the ACC to have that game be close to 9/11 whether it’s OOC or an ACC game, but for them it’s about telling the story, and more people are going to hear it when it’s ND than if it’s a raycom snoozer
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:02 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby durkcal on Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:16 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Clemson hangover has been pretty powerful for the last few years. It’s there if we play well

Both teams have tendency to play to level of competition. Game will be close for much of it.

Key to victory IMO:

1) Get the lead - ND has had the lead at halftime in every game. Gives them confidence to call plays leaning on their awesome OL and the powerful run game throughout. Take them away from that comfort zone. Make them start throwing more than they want to.

2) Use Zay and Jaelin in space - ND can be exposed for poor tackling. Design plays to make them tackle ideally Zay, but sometimes Jaelen - in space.

You do these things, you can eventually win the game with 1x1 opportunity against their corners with any of our WR's. Assuming Jurk has fixed whatever ails him by then.

The last time ND was NOT ahead at halftime was 11/2/19 at Virginia Tech (tied). They did pull the game out at the last minute. This was one week after they got pummeled by Michigan. Yes, they are better than they were at this time last year. For example, all of the OL and the TE Tremble are exceptional blockers now, and they were not at that level against VaT/Mich. They were having to try to make more out of Book/Claypool at this time a year ago. It was uncomfortable. Against VaT/Mich, they ran the ball less, 38 and 31x. This year, they run the ball more than 40x a game and even hit the 50x level. That's the comfort zone. Being ahead and running the ball.

Against Michigan, they obviously fell behind, and the D faced the prospect of Michigan running it at them AGAIN and AGAIN. ND D proved itself to be mentally weak by basically giving up. Ideally we can rediscover that mental weakness. It won't be there immediately. But if we have the lead in the 2h and things haven't been going well, Bailey/Levy/Jurk runs could find the "feeling sorry for myself, it was so good a week ago" inner thoughts, lol.

Have to find some good action early and have the lead at the half! :screamyeagle
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:41 pm

So they can move the ball on the ground, but how's ND's defense look? Can we score 25+ points against them?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:51 am

alec on packer & durham:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:42 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:So they can move the ball on the ground, but how's ND's defense look? Can we score 25+ points against them?

They've looked good on D. They start 1 So, and 1 Fr CB. Other than that it is all Seniors, many of them Gr Sr. The two best players on their D are the FS Hamilton and the Rover LB Owusu-Koramoah (he's been coming on big time). Their DE's are good, and the SS is as well. The DT's are just try hard guys. BC could push them around come the 2H if we have a lead. If you can handle Owusu, i think the other two LB's can be made to miss tackles. And I think you can hunt a good 1x1 against the freshmen corner.

I think the game plan will have to be creative in the first half. I don't think we grab a lead with Bailey up the middle and throwing to H Long over the middle. I think you can come back with Bailey late with a lead.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:05 pm

agreed, i was surprised how much ND dominated on both lines against clemson. don't see us being able to run the ball much. their FR TE is pretty impressive (i'm sure angryholtz can give the scouting report)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:15 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:20 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:agreed, i was surprised how much ND dominated on both lines against clemson. don't see us being able to run the ball much. their FR TE is pretty impressive (i'm sure angryholtz can give the scouting report)

Normally I’d agree that we won’t be able to run. But this is where Kelly’s ego and issues with Jurkovec might help us.

I think Kelly’s focus will be to stop Jurkovec at all costs. Lay back in pass coverage with 4-6 man rushes, and assign a spy to guard against Jurkovec’s running. They’ll play the run in a oh BTW sense on the way to the QB. No deep passes allowed whatsoever.

Meanwhile I think ND will throw more than they should b/c at least subconsciously Kelly & Rees want to “prove” they made the right choice picking their rigid system (& thus Book) over adapting to Jurkovec’s talents. ND’s better off relying on controlling the LOS on both sides.

But Kelly’s ego means BC’s defensive staff will have a better chance to outscheme an ND offense that doesn’t run enough. BC’s offense will find success with stretch runs, screens and short passes as ND sells out to drill Jurkovec. I don’t think BC will hit long passes early w/Kelly guarding so much against that embarrassment. But if BC’s in it in 4th quarter, I can see ND DBs creeping up as they get sick of being a touch late vs myriad short passes, screens and stretch runs. That’s when out and ups and the like would work, when BC could get the big plays.

Our BC team is not like the’93 one. ND should win 8 or maybe 9 if they play 10 times, and if Kelly keeps the ego in check and relies on his talent and power advantage to withstand Jurkovec having some success throwing. But based on Kelly’s known behavior and indications of overblown ego, I could see him being so petty as to put us on even footing today.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium