Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson - 10/31/2020

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson - 10/31/2020

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:16 pm

I would have loved to have seen a better replay on the two penalties on the Gill punt return. We punted on that possession I believe so that was a 7 point mistake especially if the penalties didn't help him hit the seem and go to the house.

At what point can we expect there to be a decrease in penalties? Especially dumb as fuck, preventable penalties - which accounts for about 80% of them? I have concerns this will become a hallmark through the rest of the season and hopefully not, but possibly, the entire Hafley era.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:19 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can't dial it down with a lead against that team and then try to dial it back up. Game was lost in the third quarter when they tried to run clock.

Agree but the penalties killed them. The FS on Vrabel may have been the play of the game.

Teddy’s right. They took the foot off the gas to get it into the 4th. Hafley said that was the strategy at halftime... to run the clock and the change. When he said it, I immediately thought... “crap”. Wish he said “28 isn’t enough against this team.”

Give Venables credit. He adjusted at halftime and Jurkovec was confused. When he’s frazzled, he’s really not good. I wonder if he was injured on that play that forced Grosel in. While he was pretty off in the 2nd half, his last 3 snaps were ungodly bad.

Trying to get in a scoring contest against the number 1 team in the country over 60 minutes (with our defense) is a bold strategy.

It worked. It was their only chance. Running the ball just gave Clemson more possessions and kept the D on the field.

Not saying we should have cracked the rock but adding some more carries into the second half strategy was the right idea just poorly executed. Still can’t understand how the OL and running game has fallen off so much this year. I did not expect the drop off from Dillon to Bailey to be these big.

A. Why change what worked?

B. They are running a real offense with forward passes and less than. 6 TE formations. Last year's offense is lucky to get a couple FGs.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Fun fact, out of 7 games we’ve only rushed for more than 100 yards once this season. I realize that we are pass first now but I would like to see some sort of rushing attack get established. It would make our team that much harder to defend.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:25 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:I would have loved to have seen a better replay on the two penalties on the Gill punt return. We punted on that possession I believe so that was a 7 point mistake especially if the penalties didn't help him hit the seem and go to the house.

They did show one replay and there were two penalties on us. The block in the back did not effect the paly but the hold may have.
We need to get Gill more touches.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:27 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Fun fact, out of 7 games we’ve only rushed for more than 100 yards once this season. I realize that we are pass first now but I would like to see some sort of rushing attack get established. It would make our team that much harder to defend.

A nice thought but you can’t operate in a vacuum. We ran plenty of run plays in games where we gained 2 yards a rush. Sticking to that and hoping for a breakthrough is dumb. This team couldn’t run against Tx St.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Running it that much on the last (real) drive very nearly achieved what was desired. Giving Clemson a short clock to score 3. I would have liked to see more play action on 2nd Down but Bailey was ripping off 4 yards each carry so I can’t hate it. I was expecting the Jurk keeper all game, that play occurred a few times, but sending him outside rather than off tackle killed that play. We lost 59-7 last year. This hurts because of how close we were.

Hafley isn’t going anywhere until he beats Clemson. Best thing that could’ve happened to us is OSU losing to then last year. He wants to beat them more than anybody and knows that he can what’s more. He proved that today.

Lastly, LOL @ACCRefs
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:15 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:It’s been a hell of a ride for a pedestrian 4-3.

At the beginning of the season I said 5-6. I'm still thinking that they will finish up 5-6 (maybe 6-5) simply because I don't see any real urgency from the coaching staff to stop all the 4th-snd-short plays that the defense can't stop, correct the deplorable offensive line play, or put a stop to the penalties. We get some tough talk from Hafley in the press conferences, but so far its all just been talk. We will probably have to suffer through 4 more games that give us another 300+ yards in penalties (combined) and 9 or 10 more QB sacks (combined) with at most, 350 yards rushing. It just isn't happening for this team for whatever reason. Its not clicking.

Addazio could have won 5 (or even 6.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Dabo announced that Lawrence will not play next week. They shouldn't need him.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:31 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Dabo announced that Lawrence will not play next week. They shouldn't need him.

A freshman at home is much different than a freshman on the road. ND’s luck has been extraordinary all year.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:04 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Dabo announced that Lawrence will not play next week. They shouldn't need him.

A freshman at home is much different than a freshman on the road. ND’s luck has been extraordinary all year.

This kid is already a fine QB and will be terrific next year. But yeah, first road start at ND with all that entails, plus avoiding Clemson’s 4K+ Covid people this week would mentally challenge any18-year-old. Kelly’s very fortunate this coming week.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:17 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

At the beginning of the season I said 5-6. I'm still thinking that they will finish up 5-6 (maybe 6-5) simply because I don't see any real urgency from the coaching staff to stop all the 4th-snd-short plays that the defense can't stop, correct the deplorable offensive line play, or put a stop to the penalties. We get some tough talk from Hafley in the press conferences, but so far its all just been talk. We will probably have to suffer through 4 more games that give us another 300+ yards in penalties (combined) and 9 or 10 more QB sacks (combined) with at most, 350 yards rushing. It just isn't happening for this team for whatever reason. Its not clicking.

This year under Daz!? :81

For kicks, let’s assume Jurkovec and the other transfers actually come here. Yes, that’s nonsense but nevertheless:
—@Duke: tight win.
—TXST: LOSS.
—UNC: (Big) LOSS
—Pitt: LOSS
—@VT: LOSS
—GT: Win
—Clemson: LOSS by 30.

So WITH Jurkovec et al, I bet they’d be 2-5. They’d be better running b/c same scheme, but (like this year) limited strength training plus dropoff from Dillon holds them back.

Now assuming no Jurk, no Gill, no Bequette, no Deon Jones (but say Maximilian Roberts still transfers in and AB stays)?

Duke’s a tossup at best and GT’s close enough for Daz to piddle it away. So 2-5 to winless at this point.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:18 pm

We never scored again after Hansen said we won the game in the second quarter.

Just sayin.

Oh and, Cignetti called a shitty second half.

Happy Halloween and go get drunk ya filthy animals.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:26 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:I would have loved to have seen a better replay on the two penalties on the Gill punt return. We punted on that possession I believe so that was a 7 point mistake especially if the penalties didn't help him hit the seem and go to the house.

At what point can we expect there to be a decrease in penalties? Especially dumb as fuck, preventable penalties - which accounts for about 80% of them? I have concerns this will become a hallmark through the rest of the season and hopefully not, but possibly, the entire Hafley era.

My boy Tate Haynes annihilated someone in the back on that PR. Was a clear penalty.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can't dial it down with a lead against that team and then try to dial it back up. Game was lost in the third quarter when they tried to run clock.

Agree but the penalties killed them. The FS on Vrabel may have been the play of the game.

Teddy’s right. They took the foot off the gas to get it into the 4th. Hafley said that was the strategy at halftime... to run the clock and the change. When he said it, I immediately thought... “crap”. Wish he said “28 isn’t enough against this team.”

Give Venables credit. He adjusted at halftime and Jurkovec was confused. When he’s frazzled, he’s really not good. I wonder if he was injured on that play that forced Grosel in. While he was pretty off in the 2nd half, his last 3 snaps were ungodly bad.

Trying to get in a scoring contest against the number 1 team in the country over 60 minutes (with our defense) is a bold strategy.

It worked. It was their only chance. Running the ball just gave Clemson more possessions and kept the D on the field.

Not saying we should have cracked the rock but adding some more carries into the second half strategy was the right idea just poorly executed. Still can’t understand how the OL and running game has fallen off so much this year. I did not expect the drop off from Dillon to Bailey to be these big.

A. Why change what worked?

B. They are running a real offense with forward passes and less than. 6 TE formations. Last year's offense is lucky to get a couple FGs.

See above.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

My boy Tate Haynes annihilated someone in the back on that PR. Was a clear penalty.

Correct.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:53 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

This kid is already a fine QB and will be terrific next year. But yeah, first road start at ND with all that entails, plus avoiding Clemson’s 4K+ Covid people this week would mentally challenge any18-year-old. Kelly’s very fortunate this coming week.

I wonder how ND’s Jurk Watch will go after next week. The first half was unforgettable... the second half was forgettable. When that kid is uncomfortable, he is brutal. All you need to know is that the best pass of the 2nd half was by Grosel. Hopefully, with experience, he will settle down. Because, when he’s composed, he’s Matty Ice-like.

I wonder if Jurk was concussed when Clemson landed on him. His subsequent throws and the safety were worse than anything he did in the struggling second half.

Btw... while I criticized Hafley for bleeding the clock, the strategy almost worked. If Jurk makes a better throw, Zay is still running on that beautiful out-and-up.

Defensively... how the hell did we (a) not blitz more and (b) think it a good idea to match our LBs covering Etienne out of the backfield???

The OL is inexcusable. Season is over half over... and they still suck. Moving Zion was dumb. Clemson was getting tons of pressure on a 3 man rush and we still don’t have a run game. I felt that we should’ve rolled Jurk more to help them and give Jurk the option to scramble more.

That Clemson QB feels like Tua or Trevor as frosh (Already better than everyone else in college). He may look ridiculous against a real D next week. But, his passes were just incredible today.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:04 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:14 pm

For kicks, let’s assume Jurkovec and the other transfers actually come here. Yes, that’s nonsense but nevertheless:

So WITH Jurkovec et al, I bet they’d be 2-5. They’d be better running b/c same scheme, but (like this year) limited strength training plus dropoff from Dillon holds them back.

Now assuming no Jurk, no Gill, no Bequette, no Deon Jones (but say Maximilian Roberts still transfers in and AB stays)?

Duke’s a tossup at best and GT’s close enough for Daz to piddle it away. So 2-5 to winless at this point.

This season would have been a disaster with Daz. We would have had the same plan as last year with cracking the rock but a downgrade with Bailey and Grossel instead of Dillon and AB. Also the D would have been terrible. The transfers and change of scheme saved this year's D.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:58 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

1. He will be making his 2nd start, not his first, and (more importantly);
B. He will have a full week of practice as the starting QB.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:21 pm

I don't think I ever noticed eaglesfan06 until this year. Who is this asshole? A real fan or a UConn fan in drag?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Mike_S on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:44 pm

I think the coaches did a good job. The players made some incredible plays in the first half, and the execution was way worse across the board in the second half.

I agree with whoever compared it to the Miami '91 game. I had a similar feeling the whole time of never really believing BC would actually win, but they had a real shot right to the wire. Can't remember that against a top team in the last 5-10 years other than USC (who only ended up around #20 that year).

Disappointing and frustrating, but hope they keep trending up. Can't let down against 'Cuse and maybe they can catch ND.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

At least he finally tackled someone
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:35 pm

Looking back at this game and the offensive issues in the 2nd half, this could have been a completely different game if Vrabel doesn't jump early on 3rd and 3 at the Clemson 41. We had things going on that drive and it just fucked everything up. Absolutely killer penalty with a makeable 3rd down. Jurk was seemingly heating up on that drive with 4 straight completions prior to the incompletion on the first down of that series.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:50 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

It will be cold and probably snowing and for all of the issues I have with Kelly, they have a great defense. Notre Dame is not likely to score a lot, but the Clemson team we saw today isn’t scoring a lot in the likely conditions. I still expect Clemson to win, but my guess is that it will be close and low scoring and #5 is going to get hit hard and a lot and they are going to tee off on Etienne and his crooked eyed, mongoloid face.

Addendum: Mark Sanchez is almost as bad at commentary as he was as a professional QB. His only saving grace is that Booger McFarlane is even worse. Please ABC/ESPN, drop them both into the Marianas Trench and find a new postgame snow.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:01 am

ok well I dont know. We will never know for sure.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:38 am

Did anyone see the flat footed, 55 yard throw DJU made with the flick of his wrist in warmups that they showed? If anything he has a better arm than Trevor. He did get rattled on a couple occasions, so I’m not sure how he’ll do against ND next week, but he’ll be a force to be reckoned with for the next two years.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

It will be cold and probably snowing and for all of the issues I have with Kelly, they have a great defense. Notre Dame is not likely to score a lot, but the Clemson team we saw today isn’t scoring a lot in the likely conditions. I still expect Clemson to win, but my guess is that it will be close and low scoring and #5 is going to get hit hard and a lot and they are going to tee off on Etienne and his crooked eyed, mongoloid face.

Addendum: Mark Sanchez is almost as bad at commentary as he was as a professional QB. His only saving grace is that Booger McFarlane is even worse. Please ABC/ESPN, drop them both into the Marianas Trench and find a new postgame snow.

Alternatively, it could make for a very fun November 14th if ND beats Clemson and jumps up to 2 or 3.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium