New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:20 pm

kenpom

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:56 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Are people really defending the recent record of performance of the basketball team?

Nope, just trying to explain the rationale for keeping him. I clearly said I was not defending JC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:08 pm

At the risk of (and hoping to) infuriate some of you, I will point out the injury situation almost certainly cost the team multiple wins 2 of the last 3 years.

Also, despite the injuries JC has still outperformed his position in the ACC coach salary rankings 4 out of 6 times! He's a bargain!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:37 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:and it cost a smaller school more for him to go away

mj has completely fucked up decisions around the basketball program over the last 14 months

Very soon after being hired, Marty made the decision to move on from Daz as quickly as possible. He also decided that he really liked JC and (with proper support) thought he could be the long term answer. Let’s not forget, Jarmond gave Jimmy Mac a very real extension thinking that we turned the corner by getting an NIT invite. That, more than anything, has been the mistake that Marty has had to live with. Corona gave him an easy excuse.

We don't entirely know what is going on behind the scenes. Supposedly, BC had feelers out for Beilein and he had no interest. I'm sure Jarmond had some top targets and perhaps they said no way. The next hire may be the most important hire in the program's history and it needs to be as close as possible to a slam dunk hire. No point in blowing it up again for another MAC level coach or some random assistant.

Also, the trend for the basketball program both in recruiting and results, while ever so slight and a little bumpy, has been mostly upward. 6 wins in the first three years and 19 in the last three (with two extra games). Certainly not amazing and I'm not defending MJ's decision or JC, just saying that you can see the rationale if certain assumptions are being made.

ACC record
4-14
0-18
2-16
7-11
5-13
7-13

A simple linear regression model suggests that by 2034, the team will be winning 20 conference games (running the table), and JC's career ACC winning percentage will be a healthy 56%!

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:02 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:The next hire may be the most important hire in the program's history and it needs to be as close as possible to a slam dunk hire. No point in blowing it up again for another MAC level coach or some random assistant.

I am 100% in agreement here. The next hire has to be a rockstar. Marty backed himself into a corner here. If he made a move a couple of years ago, he could’ve rolled the dice with a hot mid-major or respected assistant. But, his inaction has caused the program to die on the vine. He has assured a decade of complete irrelevance of BC basketball. His Jimmy Mac extension (and seeing it through) was salting the earth.

No feel good alum story... no former Skinner assistant returning home... no scrappy underdog mid-major is going to fix this (or at least fix it fast enough). Marty has forced himself into a position where he has to land the biggest fish since Bob Cousy.
Good luck with that.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:27 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:At the risk of (and hoping to) infuriate some of you, I will point out the injury situation almost certainly cost the team multiple wins 2 of the last 3 years.

Also, despite the injuries JC has still outperformed his position in the ACC coach salary rankings 4 out of 6 times! He's a bargain!

Do other teams in the ACC play with injuries off?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:32 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Are people really defending the recent record of performance of the basketball team?

Nope, just trying to explain the rationale for keeping him. I clearly said I was not defending JC.

There's no rationale. After being down 27 in the ACCT to Pitt he should've been fired. Bringing him back was a complete failure by MJ.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Seems that Manning caused them to go for a cheaper option.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... eve-forbes
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Seems that Manning caused them to go for a cheaper option.

Wake fans seem pleased. I'd be concerned he won primarily with JUCO and transfers at ETSU.

Leaves Wes Miller open for MJ whenever he gets around to firing JC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Wake fans might get a tax cut out of this though.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Seems that Manning caused them to go for a cheaper option.

Forbes was a UT assistant under Pearl when Currie was there I believe.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby GlorytoBC on Sun May 03, 2020 5:58 pm

fwiw, Forbes was probably the hottest mid-major coach out there. He's had four straight top 100 teams in the SoCon. He's the only SoCon coach that has ever achieved that feat.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Billy Donovan apparently agreed to a buyout with the Thunder in order to be available for BC this winter.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:22 am

Christian, feeling the impending pressure from Billy Donovan, has orchestrated an impressive move to finally get BC back into the Tourney.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... sion-teams
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Christian, feeling the impending pressure from Billy Donovan, has orchestrated an impressive move to finally get BC back into the Tourney.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... sion-teams

Why is this a good idea?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Billy Donovan apparently agreed to a buyout with the Thunder in order to be available for BC this winter.

Fucking Kraft. Sitting in fancy leather chair, sipping Pierre Ferrand and leisurely deciding what to do with the basketball program. Billy got sick of waiting. He wanted a shot at Stefon Mitchell before he is forced to graduate after 8 years.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:41 am

Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:49 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Greg Marshall has some problems...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... misconduct

Kinda shows how staying at a mid-major while waiting for the perfect job isn’t always the safest career move.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Good college basketball coaches don't often contemplate their own failure

Then explain why Gregg Marshall isn't at Alabama and Archie Miller didn't make a pit stop at NC State. It would have been more money. It's risk aversion - why risk failing somewhere else when you can win where you are and get to the top just the same?

Then explain why Miller took a job in the middle of nowhere for a school where his predecessor was successful but just not as successful as Bobby Knight (who they wound up firing because they thought they could do better). If Miller fails to live up to Indiana's unrealistic expectations, he never gets another shot at a major school.

Greg Marshall has some problems...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... misconduct

Kinda shows how staying at a mid-major while waiting for the perfect job isn’t always the safest career move.

$7mm worth of parting gifts.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... estigation
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Just reading through this thread, there are usually a lot of over-reactions and misconceptions when a coach is hired....but turns out everyone was spot on in their evaluation of the Jim Christian hire.

It was the worst decision possible.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:03 pm

I don’t remember anyone even trying to make a case for him
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:45 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I don’t remember anyone even trying to make a case for him

If Jimmy MAC decided today that he's tired of the slander and chose to walk away, the program would be in significantly better shape than it was when he found it. Impossible to argue and not spoken of often enough.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:09 pm

If Jimmy MAC decided today that he's tired of the slander and chose to walk away, the program would be in significantly better shape than it was when he found it. Impossible to argue and not spoken of often enough.

Based on what? Roster still a mess and nothing to show for seven years.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Let’s say we somehow get rid of Jimmy MAC, what names are you expecting or hoping to come up in a search? Obviously Eisley gets thrown around a lot and that’s intriguing. I’ve seen Joe Gallo come up a few times, who’s at Merrimack. Beard came from a small school, but I think we need someone with high end recruiting experience after ignoring that in our past two hires. I haven’t seen any other names mentioned
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:01 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

He’s not being serious...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:10 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Let’s say we somehow get rid of Jimmy MAC, what names are you expecting or hoping to come up in a search? Obviously Eisley gets thrown around a lot and that’s intriguing. I’ve seen Joe Gallo come up a few times, who’s at Merrimack. Beard came from a small school, but I think we need someone with high end recruiting experience after ignoring that in our past two hires. I haven’t seen any other names mentioned

I’ve moved into the “anyone is a better choice than JC” which is a different place than I was last year.

Kevin Willard - Seton Hall
John Beilein
Wes Miller - UNCG
Tommy Amaker - Harvard
Travis Steele - Xavier
Mark Schmidt - Bonnies

I can be sold on a big time assistant in the mold of Mike Hopkins (Eisley is ok or go hire one of UFs assistants). I have 0 interest as mentioned in flash in the pan mid-major coaches (Donahue, JC, anyone coaching at Merrimack, etc.) and even less interest in Jared Dudley before someone brings that up. I love Dudley, but not as our next HC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I have no interest in mid-major coaches who inherit a loaded roster and win a bunch of games. That situation has little bearing on the mess that is BC Basketball.

Who do you want?

I posted this on a previous page. If Jarmond wants to just cut me a check for $100k I did the search committees job below.

A-List:
- Thad Matta (Ohio St formerly) (this is health dependent)
- Kevin Willard (Seton Hall) (this would be high on my list)
- Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) (also very high on my list)
- Ed Cooley (Providence) (I'm not nuts about this idea, but he would do well here)
- Wojo (Marquette) (He's winning at a school very similar to BC)
- Shaka Smart (Texas) (He's going to be fired from Texas most likely)

B-List:
- Wes Miller (UNCG) (He's young, has ACC connections and UNCG was a train-wreck before he turned it around)
- Mark Schmidt (Bonnies) (He's really well connected & the Bonnies were a total teardown job also)
- Eric Musselman (Nevada) (Doubt he's coming East for this job, but he's a good coach)

Guys I'm not particularly interested in:
- Nate Oats (Buffalo) (Inherited a loaded roster and won. BC is a different animal than what he inherited at Buffalo)
- Bill Coen (Northeastern) (We can do better than this)
- Tommy Amaker (Harvard) (He is a horrific in-game coach and he won't have overwhelming talent in the ACC to make up for it like he does in the Ivy)
- Jared Dudley (these suggestions can't be serious)
- Howard Eisley (no one knows who he is on the recruiting circuit)

Here I did this work already last year. Craft can cut me that $100K in March.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:31 pm

Kevin Willard would be great.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:00 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

What? Look at the roster that Donahue left behind and look at the roster now. It's younger and almost certainly more talented now. Very certainly more athletic.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

What? Look at the roster that Donahue left behind and look at the roster now. It's younger and almost certainly more talented now. Very certainly more athletic.

Hanlon was better than anyone on the current roster.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum