2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Buckley is attributing beliefs of BC fans based upon anonymous posts in the comment sections of his articles??? '

Could it be left by Starter jacket-wearing ND fans? From UConn fans? Could it be Maryanne Fox? Could it be Mike Tranghese? Could it be from oxygen-tank-draggers who are still bitter over DBS and an inability to see the Eagles play SHU at Brendan Byrne Arena (given Buckley graduated Umass in the 70s, my money is here)?

I quite honestly do not know if BC can win the ACC. But, since we have made it to the finals in BB and FB this century (around the same time as the Cs "recently" won their last championship), I think that any failure is due to BC and not the ACC. Further, the idea of holding to some old Big East conference revival is insane at a time where most of that group are together in the ACC (VT, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse and ND). Rutgers (B10) and WVU (B12) are the only original non-terminated members playing elsewhere. Saying that BC shouldn't be in the ACC is the same as saying we shouldn't bother having FB (see Yukon and Umess).

Aside from the top (Clemson in football and Duke/UNC/UVA/Lville in basketball), the rest of the conference is a mediocre mess most years. It's not a real high bar to climb to the top of the mediocrity.

Clemson is only one bad football coach from falling back by the wayside. Beyond them, no other team is really that far above BC right now in football. A better coach and a lot of these recent 7 win seasons would have been 8,9,10 win seasons. I think Hafley would have really shocked some people with results this year had covid-19 not set him back. But with only 5 very light spring practices, I think this year will be a struggle. I'm still going to hope for 8 wins but Hafley has a lot of things going against him this year.

The EO coaching staff could win 10 games at Clemson
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:any idea how much a stand alone practice facility for MBB and WBB would cost? it wouldn't have to be as large as the FB practice facility, is my guess. smaller footprint, etc.

I heard north of $50 million which seemed/seems crazy to me.

jfc. doubt that they can find 100 alums/donors who'd hand over 500k+ each. i can see why it's a dead issue. fuuuuuck.

This is why I suggest the arena idea. You get something for your money other than a practice facility (why should the practice court be superior to that which the game is played?).

Something like that will take time, thoughtful design and years of fundraising. They talked about the football Indoor Practice Facility forever and Bates was fundraising for it his entire time on campus. That didn’t fit Marty’s timeline. The result was some weird half-assed dream chasing where he went from (a) hockey arena on Brighton and a Conte remodel to (b) a new BB arena and practice facility (in between Alumni and the New Plex) to (c) a BB practice facility between Conte and Higgins (all in the course of a few months).

My point here is that just because Marty failed to raise $50mm+ immediately for a building slush fund with no concrete plans, doesn’t mean that any doors have been closed. Let Kraft settle in. If he thinks there is value in a new arena/BB facility, I have confidence that he’ll be able to raise the funds if done thoughtful and deliberately.

One final note... the lack of a facility was never the focus until after Jimmy Mac got his mistaken extension and immediately failed (and Marty realized he couldn’t fire him). Up until that point Jarmond talked about other priorities and mentioned more BB training space as an aside. I always viewed the BB facility to be a BS excuse peddled as to why JC sucks and why he’s the best we can do right now.

When you're the only P5 team in America without a basketball practice facility it's not an excuse. It's closer to a failing on the institution.

Correct. And even Maryland got it done.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Where is Pat Kraft?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Who?

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:12 am

https://theathletic.com/2754870/2021/08 ... ign=601983

Martin Jarmond, UCLA athletic director
As far as outside candidates go, Jarmond is the obvious frontrunner. He’s worked at Michigan State before, has strong ties to the Big Ten conference and is a rising star in the profession. (His wife even went to Michigan State.) But the timing of this opening is not exactly ideal; Jarmond has only been at UCLA for a little over a year. Not only does that mean there could be a hefty buyout to get him out of Westwood, but it’s also generally awkward to leave a big job like that after such little time in the role. All indications are that Jarmond is happy at UCLA, but could a return to the Big Ten be too enticing to pass up?

Jarmond came to UCLA from Boston College, where, at 37, he became the youngest Power 5 athletic director in the country after an eight-year run in athletic administration at Ohio State. Before his time at Ohio State — which eventually culminated in a deputy AD role under Gene Smith — Jarmond served as the assistant athletic director for development for seven years at Michigan State, where he served on the athletic director’s executive leadership team and worked closely with Izzo. Jarmond is forward-thinking and could bring new energy to this role — if he’s interested in leaving UCLA.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:56 am

LOL Sparty
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:14 pm

I can’t imagine moving to East Lansing from Westwood. MJ is turn into a professional candidate.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:48 pm

e.l.r.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:56 am

article on kraft in the globe:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/29/ ... and-still/

When Pat Kraft took over as Boston College AD, sports were on hold, but it was no time to stand still
By Julian Benbow Globe Staff,Updated September 29, 2021, 11:43 a.m.

There was nothing ordinary about Pat Kraft’s first year on the job as athletic director at Boston College.

He was hired in June 2020 in the thick of the COVID-19 pandemic and spent the majority of his time juggling uncertainties.

With all sports suspended when he arrived, the biggest question was whether there would be a football season in the fall. Once the Atlantic Coast Conference decided to forge ahead, the most pressing task was keeping the football team quarantined, tested, and as free of COVID as possible.

Kraft remembered a late-season matchup against Notre Dame at Alumni Stadium — a highlight of football season in any other year, but a surreal scene last year. The typical game-day bus wasn’t there.

“[Coach] Jeff [Hafley] and I are sitting in the coach’s office in the locker rooms, and there’s kids playing tennis!” Kraft said.

Fifteen months into the job, college sports and the country at large have moved toward a new normal. The strict protocols that defined Kraft’s first year are gone. Fans are back in the stands. When Kraft walked through the tunnel for the football opener against Colgate, it felt like Year 1 all over again.

“Now it feels real,” Kraft said.

The challenges of the first year had him thinking outside the box about how to tackle them.

“My philosophy here is: How are we being creative with our resources?” Kraft said. “How are we spending our resources? How are we using our facilities? Instead of just saying, ‘Well, we just can’t do that,’ that’s not how I operate.

“We’re going to find a way and we’re going to be creative and we’re going to be positive. In any institution, there are different focuses. I think we’ve done a good job of being able to show we have a plan and here’s how we want to implement said plans and strategy.”

Once Kraft arrived at The Heights, he didn’t want to let the challenges of the pandemic stop him from diving in head-first.

“There was a really good plan in place, so we were able to hit the ground running,” Kraft said. “But that plan changed every week, no matter where you were. So the operation of it all was really good. The saving grace here for me in Year 1 was there are great people here.”

The program did 11 capital projects, all privately funded. Kraft added staff in strength and conditioning, mental health, and sports medicine.

“We got a good start on the foundational things that we needed to address, and we came out of the pandemic better,” he said. “That’s what I told everybody: Come out better.”

Kraft had to make the inevitable decision to part ways with men’s basketball coach Jim Christian in February of this year. Christian had made clear the urgent need for the program to have its own practice facility. In March, Kraft hired Earl Grant to replace Christian. Two months later, BC announced plans for the Hoag Basketball Pavilion, with a lead gift of $15 million from university trustee Michaela Hoag. The project is now 80 percent funded.

The facility was something Kraft emphasized the first time he spoke to university president Rev. William P. Leahy.

“We had to do it,” said Kraft. “And I think just being able to raise the money fast, that shows the people understand.”

Meanwhile, although the football program had added Fish Field House in 2018, the locker room and training room in the Yawkey Athletic Center hadn’t been upgraded since the building opened.

“They were urgent needs,” Kraft said.

Both rooms were done by the start of the season.

“That stuff is really important to the day-in-and-day-out life of the student-athlete,” Kraft said.

The pandemic underscored the importance of adding mental health experts, particularly in an age when student-athletes are inundated with social media.

“Mental health is real,” Kraft said. “It was real in the pandemic. It’s real coming out of the pandemic.”

Kraft saw the benefits of enhancing the strength and conditioning, mental health, and sports medicine staffs when the women’s lacrosse team made its national championship run last spring.

“They were healthy, they were playing better, and our strength team and our medical team were fantastic,” Kraft said.

While Kraft’s first year gave him a chance to take inventory, he didn’t see it as looking at all the ways BC needed to catch up to other programs in the ACC.

“It has nothing to do with anybody else,” Kraft said. “It’s everything to do with Boston College. We have everything we need. We have great people, we have great support, we’ve just got to focus on what we need to get better. We have to stay focused on what we need to do, what we need here to improve.”

When Under Armour cut ties in June with BC as well as several other schools, it opened the door for a partnership with a Boston staple in New Balance. BC then landed a deal with Adidas for the football team.

“I knew New Balance was big in Boston, but I had no idea,” Kraft said. “It’s everywhere. I’m at Mass, and there’s nuns with New Balance.”

While it may not get the recognition — or market share — of Nike or Jordan Brand, New Balance offered a wealth of gear along with creative input to student-athletes and a vested interest in carving out space in basketball apparel that made the arrangement enticing.

“I don’t want to be a secondhand,” said Kraft. “We are the brand.”

Getting so much done in the face of COVID was an encouraging sign for Kraft.

“For me, I’m like, ‘If we don’t have a global pandemic, we could do some really good work,’ ” he said with a grin. “It gave us time to really dive into the numbers, the finances, start to lay the strategy out.”

Looking back, Kraft said, his first year felt more like a springboard.

“It is a Year 1 all over again, but I feel like it’s a Year 1 with an extra shot, like we got a boost,” he said. “So I feel really good about that.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:09 am

Are we going to reuse this thread or create a new one for Pat Kraft’s departure?

Rumored to be leaving for Pedd State.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:28 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Are we going to reuse this thread or create a new one for Pat Kraft’s departure?

Good for him. If he has that offer, he should take it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

2022 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:28 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Are we going to reuse this thread or create a new one for Pat Kraft’s departure?

Yes, nice work Hansen.
This is more than a rumor.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:34 am

Gotta figure we are hiring a female AD (who is most likely also a minority).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:48 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:55 am

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:02 am

yeah thamel doesn't miss when it comes to bc, he's gone
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:20 am

The bean counters are loving another big buyout check coming in.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:49 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The bean counters are loving another big buyout check coming in.

It's a nice little cottage industry. Wonder if this pauses the Hockey hire, or if Leahy will do it like he did York.

As for the next AD... hire the best guy. But, if things are close, I think that it isn't a terrible idea to bring in someone like Hass or McLaughlin. Having a modicum of stability in the role after streaming through a bunch isn't the worst idea.
HJS
Gasson Hall

2022 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:As for the next AD... hire the best guy. But, if things are close, I think that it isn't a terrible idea to bring in someone like Hass or McLaughlin. Having a modicum of stability in the role after streaming through a bunch isn't the worst idea.

McLaughlin?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The bean counters are loving another big buyout check coming in.

It's a nice little cottage industry. Wonder if this pauses the Hockey hire, or if Leahy will do it like he did York.

As for the next AD... hire the best guy. But, if things are close, I think that it isn't a terrible idea to bring in someone like Hass or McLaughlin. Having a modicum of stability in the role after streaming through a bunch isn't the worst idea.

McLaughlin has not gotten any traction the last two searches. Why would this be different? He still hasn't put in time at a football school.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:45 am

let's get mark jackson. i liked what happened the last time we took an ad from villa-no-fun
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:51 am

Should we recreate our Cleveland Steamer tropes?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Gotta figure we are hiring a female AD (who is most likely also a minority).

I like this strategy. It's worked so well in the roles of Governors and Mayors. We should expect similar, strong results.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:23 pm

I think we need to get out in front of everyone and hire a Tranny. We could have Hansen lead the search.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:38 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I think we need to get out in front of everyone and hire a Tranny. We could have Hansen lead the search.

where is the eagleoutsider og lbl davidgordonsfoot when you need him?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:48 pm

John DeFilippo is probably available. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Re: 2022 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:10 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As for the next AD... hire the best guy. But, if things are close, I think that it isn't a terrible idea to bring in someone like Hass or McLaughlin. Having a modicum of stability in the role after streaming through a bunch isn't the worst idea.

McLaughlin?

Ok, this guy: https://vcuathletics.com/staff-director ... ughlin/257

FWIW, Hass was very involved with the Hafley hire.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:49 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

McLaughlin?

Frank McLaughlin?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:13 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I think we need to get out in front of everyone and hire a Tranny. We could have Hansen lead the search.

where is the eagleoutsider og lbl davidgordonsfoot when you need him?

Why are you asking questions you already know the answer to? You know he’s balls deep (literally) in forum 69!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:01 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

McLaughlin?

Frank McLaughlin?

We will have Angry Dick play a round with him at the famed Sleepy Hollow CC (Cameron Young's father will carry your bags) to try to convince him to come out of retirement? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium