Hafley to BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:02 pm

I listened to the weekly BC show with Meterparel and Hafley last night and one comment from Hafley stood out. Meterparel wished Hafley's daughter a Happy Birthday, and Hafley said his daughter was born in San Francisco, celebrated her first birthday in Ohio and her second birthday here. He said he hopes she gets to go to high school here too.

That may be coachspeak in efforts to defend against other programs saying Hafley will bolt, but I do think it's worth noting that he said it. While I would prefer a short and successful three-year Hafley run over a 10-year Spaz/Addazo reign of mediocrity, I don't think BC should be content with that scenario. As I've said previously, it's all about the money. Pay the man if he's worth it. Ever to Excel.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:12 pm

hafley was on eei today: https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id42 ... 0494073690

i don't know enough about boston radio but they were raving about him.

they were asking whether fauria regrets his kid heading to colorado https://247sports.com/Player/Caleb-Faur ... ol-227171/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:hafley was on eei today: https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id42 ... 0494073690

i don't know enough about boston radio but they were raving about him.

they were asking whether fauria regrets his kid heading to colorado https://247sports.com/Player/Caleb-Faur ... ol-227171/

That show is fine when Ordway shuts the fuck up. Felger and Mazz are better and I loathe Felger and Mazz sounds like he got his balls stuck in a vice grip
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:30 pm

It’s all about coaching and it’s really difficult finding a very good coach. BC has plenty of ACC money to pay Hafley. When life gets back to normal, I expect BC will sell out a lot of games and a ton more merchandise. Donations will be up under Hafley as well. In many ways the money he brings in will pay for his salary. I hope BC finally has found their guy and rewards him well.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I listened to the weekly BC show with Meterparel and Hafley last night and one comment from Hafley stood out. Meterparel wished Hafley's daughter a Happy Birthday, and Hafley said his daughter was born in San Francisco, celebrated her first birthday in Ohio and her second birthday here. He said he hopes she gets to go to high school here too.

That may be coachspeak in efforts to defend against other programs saying Hafley will bolt, but I do think it's worth noting that he said it. While I would prefer a short and successful three-year Hafley run over a 10-year Spaz/Addazo reign of mediocrity, I don't think BC should be content with that scenario. As I've said previously, it's all about the money. Pay the man if he's worth it. Ever to Excel.

I can't see Hafley here in five years if he has any success and I don't begrudge him. I also don't think he will bolt for the first big pay day. It will be the NFL or a strategically good college job. For example, let's say South Carolina fires Muschamp this year. I don't think Hafley would go there and put himself against Dabo and an improving SEC East with Florida and Tennessee getting good again.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:46 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I listened to the weekly BC show with Meterparel and Hafley last night and one comment from Hafley stood out. Meterparel wished Hafley's daughter a Happy Birthday, and Hafley said his daughter was born in San Francisco, celebrated her first birthday in Ohio and her second birthday here. He said he hopes she gets to go to high school here too.

I can't see Hafley here in five years if he has any success and I don't begrudge him. I also don't think he will bolt for the first big pay day. It will be the NFL or a strategically good college job. For example, let's say South Carolina fires Muschamp this year. I don't think Hafley would go there and put himself against Dabo and an improving SEC East with Florida and Tennessee getting good again.

This. I don't think we will be dealing with situation where he leaves for a nominally better P5 situation. When he goes it will be for an Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Florida, Florida State, Bama, LSU, Oklahoma level school or the NFL. The only caveat to that belief is if some mid-tier P5 with a crazy rich alum goes and pays way above market for him (like Jimbo Fisher money). The good news is that if that happens, it will be because he absolutely killed it here and the job he leaves here will be very attractive to the next hot young coaching talent. Of course, BC being BC there is always the possibility that we fuck up that momentum in a huge way (see Henning, Dan and Spazziani, Frank).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:51 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

This. I don't think we will be dealing with situation where he leaves for a nominally better P5 situation. When he goes it will be for an Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Florida, Florida State, Bama, LSU, Oklahoma level school or the NFL.

Agree - he won't be here long and that means we made a great hire. The question, does he want an NFL job or a college factory? I actually think an NFL job would be available to him sooner than a factory. Also, Georgia should be on that list ahead of Oklahoma, Mich & FSU.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

This. I don't think we will be dealing with situation where he leaves for a nominally better P5 situation. When he goes it will be for an Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Florida, Florida State, Bama, LSU, Oklahoma level school or the NFL. The only caveat to that belief is if some mid-tier P5 with a crazy rich alum goes and pays way above market for him (like Jimbo Fisher money). The good news is that if that happens, it will be because he absolutely killed it here and the job he leaves here will be very attractive to the next hot young coaching talent. Of course, BC being BC there is always the possibility that we fuck up that momentum in a huge way (see Henning, Dan and Spazziani, Frank).

First step would be to refrain from offering the job to multiple assistants simultaneously :81 .

People seem to think very highly of Lukabu. If we feel confident in him or someone else on staff, I'd like to pull the trigger with that person when Hafley leaves (for the NFL within 5 years). Wouldn't it be nice to build upon a successful coach's foundation?
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:46 pm

This discussion is up there with Shinskie going pro early and Daz leaving for Florida or whatever baby rapist school he was attached to after the first year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:35 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:This discussion is up there with Shinskie going pro early and Daz leaving for Florida or whatever baby rapist school he was attached to after the first year.

Not really, but yes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:53 am

I'd like to discuss contingencies for what we do after Hafley goes to the NFL and then we promote Lukabu and he goes to the NFL too. Do we really not have a plan?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:19 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I'd like to discuss contingencies for what we do after Hafley goes to the NFL and then we promote Lukabu and he goes to the NFL too. Do we really not have a plan?

no worries, foley will make a good hire.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Maybe it’s time to lock this thread. Lots, and lots, and lots of work to be done.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:12 pm

there are many examples of the best coaches in college football struggling in first year (spaz beat dabo, kirby inherited a 10 win team only to win 8, saban lost to louisiana monroe, etc.)

not a great coaching job and hafley knows that
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:38 pm

Considering how the defense was last year, I think that side of the ball has been respectable so far and the coaches deserve credit. And credit to the staff for recruiting the transfers that have helped the D.

But on the offensive side of the ball, it's not crazy to say that without Jurkovec this team could be 1-3 or even 0-4. And the biggest red flag is not the actual coaching performance from Applebaum, but Hafley's decision to hire this guy. What was he thinking bringing in a guy from Towson, and before that Davidson? You would think there would have been a ton of quality OL coaches that saw this as a good opportunity to join an up-and-coming staff and a team that already had a great OL.

I don't think there is much hope in getting the OL corrected before the end of the year. It is not Hafley's area of expertise and clearly Applebaum doesn't know what he's doing. If this OL performance continues, we'll see if Hafley has the balls to fire a coach after one year. And if he does fire him, I hope he approaches the hiring process a bit differently this time around.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:45 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I don't think there is much hope in getting the OL corrected before the end of the year. It is not Hafley's area of expertise and clearly Applebaum doesn't know what he's doing. If this OL performance continues, we'll see if Hafley has the balls to fire a coach after one year. And if he does fire him, I hope he approaches the hiring process a bit differently this time around.

Hafley focused on bringing in guys he can trust based on previous stops and young recruiters. OL is a different thing. It is a position where experience matters. Applebaum ranks among the worst we’ve had and it’s so incredibly obvious that he’s a problem. With all the pressers he does, how in the hell does one of these guys not just come out and say: “what in the hell happened to the OL? You spent all Summer talking about them as a strength, but (regardless of opponent) there has been a lot of pressure and a run game that’s non-existent.”
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:56 am

at this point you have to accept those covering our team suck for the time being. julian at the globe still can't figure out the mute button. thompson at the herald is obsessed with the injury report even though no coach ever reveals anything.

but they have asked about the struggles in the run game. hafley hasn't said much beyond we're working on it and it'll improve

we'll learn something about hafley as a coach with how he handles OL in 2/3 months
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:04 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:at this point you have to accept those covering our team suck for the time being. julian at the globe still can't figure out the mute button. thompson at the herald is obsessed with the injury report even though no coach ever reveals anything.

but they have asked about the struggles in the run game. hafley hasn't said much beyond we're working on it and it'll improve

we'll learn something about hafley as a coach with how he handles OL in 2/3 months

I just listened to the post-Pitt call. Some random reporter named “Chris” (who I don’t think has ever been on before) asked about 40 carries for 30 yards. Hafley got defensive and said Applebaum is doing great. But, it was a noted departure from the straightforward way he answers every other question posed.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:at this point you have to accept those covering our team suck for the time being. julian at the globe still can't figure out the mute button. thompson at the herald is obsessed with the injury report even though no coach ever reveals anything.

I just listened to the post-Pitt call. Some random reporter named “Chris” (who I don’t think has ever been on before) asked about 40 carries for 30 yards. Hafley got defensive and said Applebaum is doing great. But, it was a noted departure from the straightforward way he answers every other question posed.

That stat is a little misleading when Jurk had -42 on sacks. Doesn’t take away from the atrocious OL play though.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:04 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

is that the high pitched guy? i haven't heard him before this year and not sure who he works for.

re hafley's answer he's not going to throw applebaum under the bus. hafley knows its an issue

another hire that we had questions on has turned out to be a great hire and deserves credit: lukabu
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Perhaps it was the voice of Christopher G. Logitano? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:46 am

Bottom line, If Daz were still coaching this team at best we would be 1-3 and probably 0-4 and putting that aside, there would be zero chance that Jurk would have come here.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I don't think there is much hope in getting the OL corrected before the end of the year. It is not Hafley's area of expertise and clearly Applebaum doesn't know what he's doing. If this OL performance continues, we'll see if Hafley has the balls to fire a coach after one year. And if he does fire him, I hope he approaches the hiring process a bit differently this time around.

Hafley focused on bringing in guys he can trust based on previous stops and young recruiters. OL is a different thing. It is a position where experience matters. Applebaum ranks among the worst we’ve had and it’s so incredibly obvious that he’s a problem. With all the pressers he does, how in the hell does one of these guys not just come out and say: “what in the hell happened to the OL? You spent all Summer talking about them as a strength, but (regardless of opponent) there has been a lot of pressure and a run game that’s non-existent.”

BCeagles had a piece up in August about how exciting it was for Applebaum and Zion Johnson to be together again, after Applebaum recruited Johnson to Davidson & coached him there. Johnson noted how excited he was to show how he's grown in "zone blocking" & protection techniques. Hafley clearly thought highly of Applebaum as well. In January upon hiring Applebaum, Hafley even identified him as an eventual coordinator (though not necessarily at BC). I'm sure Applebaum's hire helped the budget as well.

Then when the shuffle was announced, Hafley said it related to guys being a bit banged up and to get the best five onto the field. They also talked more broadly about the offense, and that they would need to find the plays that work & build out from there.

Imagine the coaches' meetings when they plotted out the shuffle. Would Applebaum really say that he can't coach power running techniques? Or would he say that these guys couldn't train to run power, so we need to adjust? I imagine the latter, and with Cignetti not being a power guy traditionally, it winds up being both those guys supporting the shuffle. So Hafley buys it.

But now we're four games in and it's not working. Cignetti tested the line in the second half to see if they could run ball control, and that failed dramatically.

"Chris" deserves credit for asking that question so forthrightly, as I don't think Hafley himself is sure about what's going on. Four games in and we've haven't seen the running game spearhead much beyond that opening (unscouted) drive at Duke.

I have to imagine one of the toughest things for Hafley will be to let someone go when he feels they aren't doing the job. His brand in many ways is about being genuine, building relationships, and demonstrating loyalty. Surely he's selling that in his successful recruiting efforts, especially since I think the brand largely reflects who he is.

So Hafley knows the Covid-19 training issues present a plausible explanation for what's happening with the line. The conventional "brand-consistent" move would be to let it ride another year, betting on a full offseason training program under Matusz and a complete set of (bowl and?) spring practices to teach. But giving up all those QB pressures/sacks cuts against the notion that it's out of Applebaum's hands. Any lack of strength should not hamper pass protection as much as a power running game.

It will be quite a test for Hafley to see what he does about the line. Things will probably look somewhat better as Cignetti focuses upon what works. Running as a change of pace will likely be more successful, picking up yards by surprising the defense. But that's not foundational, and the offensive line should be better than that--even if they're robbed of power this season.

Hafley started off like Applebaum did, and no one wants to believe their hire messed up an asset like BC's O-Line. So it would be tough to let Applebaum go. I guess we'll see.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Maybe Dante Scarnecchia is bored and is looking for something to do.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:26 pm

At the 4 min mark in today’s presser “Andy” asked what Hafley is going to do to fix the run game. Hafley reiterated that Pitt is great and had their safeties playing a yard off the line of scrimmage. But, then admitted that they someone is missing assignments that would result in huge plays. With the OL, a position that is all about being a single unit, those problems are about the coach. If you had JB3 instead of Applebaum, I believe this team is undefeated and wouldn’t have to wait until the 4th to win. I also think Jurk would be even better.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:21 am

HJS {l Wrote}:At the 4 min mark in today’s presser “Andy” asked what Hafley is going to do to fix the run game. Hafley reiterated that Pitt is great and had their safeties playing a yard off the line of scrimmage. But, then admitted that they someone is missing assignments that would result in huge plays. With the OL, a position that is all about being a single unit, those problems are about the coach. If you had JB3 instead of Applebaum, I believe this team is undefeated and wouldn’t have to wait until the 4th to win. I also think Jurk would be even better.

Yup, there it is. Hafley understands the issue but can’t do much in-season. The shuffle works against Applebaum now as blown assignments were maybe the biggest risk of that move.

I think lack of base strength contributed as well, in encouraging coaches to overthink.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:23 pm

https://247sports.com/college/boston-co ... 153068050/

Jeff Hafley, Boston College recruiting at a all-time high level
BySTEVE WILTFONG

When Boston College takes the field Saturday night for their ACC clash at Virginia Tech, the Eagles will do so with momentum.

Particularly on the recruiting trail where first-year head coach Jeff Hafley and his staff have not only impressed with their ability to build relationships with top targets, but also backing up what they said they were going to do on the field. All of that has seen Boston College, by their past standards, recruit at a level we've never seen before.

The Eagles moved to 3-1 last Saturday with a 31-30 overtime victory over Pittsburgh. The lone loss, a 26-22 heartbreaker to No. 5 North Carolina.

“We talked with them for months about how we would have an NFL system on offense with Frank Cignetti and defensive with Tem Lukabu and now they’re able to see that on Saturdays,” Hafley told 247Sports. Our big thing is playing fast and being confident and it’s awesome when recruits notice that and want to be part of it.”

Some of those marks include Boston College ranking No. 16 nationally in passing with Notre Dame transfer and former high school All-American Phil Jurkovec at the controls and a defense that stands in at No. 16 nationally in points allowed. They were No. 113 and No. 101 in those categories in 2019.

“Watching the BC games now you can just tell this team is built a lot different than recent teams,” said in-state linebacker Casey Phinney who flipped his pledge from Michigan to the Eagles during the fall. “The scheme both offensively and defensively work much better and they’re utilizing the talent they have all over the field. It’s very exciting and I can’t wait to go be a part of it.”

There was a lot of buy-in to what Hafley and company were building prior to the season as the former Ohio State defensive coordinator secured over 20 commits in the 2021 class and now sits on 23 pledges, a haul that ranks No. 37 nationally. That’s as big a bounce back on the trail any program is having this cycle outside of USC, with the Eagles finishing No. 62 a campaign ago while in transition between coaching staffs. The difference between the Trojans who have gone from No. 64 to No. 6 and Boston College, is that we’re accustomed to seeing the Pac 12 program ranked high. We haven’t seen the Eagles with a chance to finish this high dating all the way back to 2011 when they finished No. 39. There have been a lot of classes ranked in the 60s and even the 70s (behind a ton of Group of Five schools) between now and then.

So there is obviously a new standard on the recruiting trail under the 41-year old Hafley who finished as 247Sports No. 10 recruiter nationally in the 2020 cycle for his work with the Buckeyes. Look at the top of this 2021 class and the 247Sports Crystal Ball had forecasts in favor of Alabama and Florida when class-jewel in four-star cornerback Clinton Burton Jr. chose the Eagles. Guys like cornerback Jalen Cheek, linebacker Trevin Wallace, defensive end Andre Porter and cornerback Jalon Williams had a slew of other Power Five opportunities when they opted to play for Hafley. While there will certainly be guys in the fold the staff is higher on than their peers, this is a class full of prospects that other programs wanted. Hafley and company aren’t just evaluating but they’re putting in the time and effort to get key targets in the boat.

"I’m very excited on the way the program is moving right now," Cheek started in. "We got out to a great 3-1 start and we’re only going to get better from week to week. The offense is very explosive from previous years with the new air raid. The defense is creating many turnovers and is doing better than previous years, due to the 'Hafley Effect.' We will only get better every year starting with the ‘21 recruiting class. We’re ready to work and compete for championships."

"What stands out to me about Coach Hafley was his love for DBs, defense, and his vision for the team," Williams said. "He wants to change the culture around there, and take BC to a new level. With the defensive staff there I felt like they would be the best for me to be developed."

“I’m just loving everything about it,” Porter said. “I got a good relationship with a lot of the coaches.”

“Well for starters I see the program as a new Boston College,” defensive end commit Neto Okpala said. “You can tell everything is just different even by watching the games. I talk with Haf, Coach V(ince Oghobaase), and Coach Lukabu a lot, and their energy is outstanding. The new coaching staff is coaching with a purpose and they’re doing great. Winning and playing games against good opponents. The program is most definitely headed in the right direction, and it’ll be for a while too.”

“Coach Haf is a great coach,” all-purpose back Lewis Bond said. “Big reason I committed there, the coaches are amazing. I think they are good coaches who care about their players and recruits. I talk to to Coach Haf every week after they play and he asks me to give him a real honest analysis of the game and we keep it honest with each other and that’s the best part about him and the whole staff. I think we can compete with anybody in the country. Going to be fun to watch them play Clemson in a couple of weeks.”

Recruiting should be fun for Boston College fans to follow for years to come. The Eagles are sitting on the No. 9 class very early in the 2022 cycle as they pursue the first Top25 haul in program history.

“What stands out to me is what already seems like just a completely different team with a new attitude,” 2022 tight end pledge Matt Ragan said. “I think Coach Hafley has brought the winning attitude with him and seems like it has spread through the whole coaching staff, and seeing that I think more and more kids are gonna wanna play for this staff.”

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:https://247sports.com/college/boston-college/Article/Boston-college-football-Jeff-Hafley-recruiting-153068050/

Jeff Hafley, Boston College recruiting at a all-time high level
BySTEVE WILTFONG

"...Going to be fun to watch them play Clemson in a couple of weeks.”

Uh...I hope he doesn't get his hopes up.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:23 am

With an assist from Antonio Brown, receiver Zay Flowers has become one of Boston College’s top weapons

By Julian Benbow Globe Staff,Updated October 15, 2020, 7:52 p.m.

Before Antonio Brown’s erratic behavior made him a sideshow for social media and catnip for clickbait, his skillset and work ethic made him a case study in how the wide receiver position could be played.

Brown was an undersized, sixth-round pick who turned into arguably the game’s best all-around receiver. It didn’t matter where he lined up, it didn’t matter what defense he saw. He was a 100-catch season waiting to happen.

Growing up in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Boston College receiver Zay Flowers watched him closely. Almost exclusively.

When Flowers named the receivers he wanted to model himself after, the only one was Brown.

“That’s basically it,” he said. “Nobody else.”

One of the benefits of the coaching staff assembled by Eagles' first-year coach Jeff Hafley is its wealth of NFL experience. Their relationships make it easy to play six degrees of separation.

Early on, Flowers mentioned to offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti how much he studied Brown. Cignetti, who had NFL runs with the Rams, Giants, and Packers, happened to mention it to former Giants quarterback Geno Smith. Smith happened to be spending the quarantine working out with Brown.

Those workouts happened to be in Miami — a relatively short drive for Flowers.

Before Flowers knew it, he was running routes with the receiver he’d been dissecting for years.

“It’s just me Gino and AB working out on a golf course,” Flowers said.

Flowers was able to see Brown’s skill set up close. Brown broke down some of the intricacies of route running and catching deep balls. Flowers soaked it in.

One detail Flowers took with him was catching deep balls over his outside shoulder and taking off. He flashed it last week in Boston College’s 31-30 win over Pitt when he raced up the middle of the field past Panthers defensive back Jason Pinnock, hauled in a pass over his left shoulder, and sped off the other way for a 77-yard touchdown.

He did it without thinking.

“It’s second nature now,” Flowers said.

In Hafley’s first season, BC has transformed into one of the best passing teams in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Flowers has been one of the most dangerous weapons in the Eagles air attack.

As a freshman a year ago, Flowers caught 22 passes for 341 yards in an offense that relied heavily on the run with second-round draft pick A.J. Dillon in the backfield. This season, Flowers reaped the benefits of a more open attack. He already has 21 catches for 405 yards and four touchdowns.

“I knew I could run routes, I just wasn’t able to show it,” Flowers said. “Last year I wasn’t able to show it because it was mostly run. This year, they’re just giving me a chance to run through every route and win my one-on-ones.”

Hafley knew it too. The first time he realized how dynamic Flowers could be was in a 1-on-1 drill.

“He goes right up in there, and I saw him release off the line and drop his hips and catch a comeback,” Hafley said. “I was like ‘Oh my gosh, this kid has got a live body.’ The way he’s twitched up and can move laterally, and accelerate, and how quickly he can gain ground, and then how quickly he can shut it down, that’s when I was like, ‘This kid is a receiver, and this kid has a chance to play.’”

Defensive back Josh DeBerry came in with Flowers in 2019 and saw the same things.

“He’s an elite receiver, and I believe he’s one of the best receivers in all of college football,” DeBerry said. "We go out every day and practice and compete. And we’ve been competing since freshman year, every day. So I mean, he’s definitely gotten a lot better, and he’s still getting better.

“What makes him great, he’s a he’s a complete receiver. He’ll get you on screens and he’ll go deep and he’ll take the top off. His route running is up there, too. Like I said, he’s one of the best receivers in all the college football.”

Flowers made his case in the season opener against Duke. He caught five passes for a career-high 162 yards and a touchdown and earned ACC Receiver of the Week honors. He became the first Eagles' receiver to win the honor twice in the same season when the ACC recognized him again for catching six passes for 162 yards and a career-high three touchdowns against Pitt.

“I’m blessed to be able to do that two times,” Flowers said. “I just want to keep it going and let the other receivers [around the country] know that I’m here too. BC’s got receivers too, not just people who can run the ball.”

Flowers has bigger goals in mind. He was added this week to the Biletnikoff Award watch list and sees it as an attainable goal.

“I want to try to run for the Biletnikoff,” he said. “I want to be there [as] one of the best receivers in the country.”

Hafley said the best way to get there is for Flowers to focus less on the numbers and more on the process.

“Whether you’re a wide receiver, a quarterback, or a running back, you can’t go into every game thinking you’re going to get 180 [yards],” Hafley said. "You do the best you can, you prepare like you need to. That’s the same message to him. The great ones that I’ve been around, they have a mindset to go practice and get better every day.

“Zay is a really good player, if he has that mindset he will become a special player. Every day I have to get better, and so does Zay. We all have that attitude, we’ll all continue to take small steps and do better, and continue to be a better football team.”

If the big plays and big numbers keep coming, Flowers said, so be it.

“When I get a chance to make a big play, I just want that moment,” Flowers said. “I just go like that’s all I know. Just go make a big play, get the team going.”
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:48 am

Can't really think of a better guy from a football standpoint t for Flowers to get receiving tips from. It worked.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium