Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Pitt - 10/10/2020

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Pitt - 10/10/2020

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:07 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I didn't see the game due to not having acc network. What was the issue with th refs?

They called PI on BC on every Pitt incompletion. They reviewed and missed a targeting call to the head of Jurkovec. Long was interfered with in the end zone as he was about to haul in a TD and they conveniently put the flags away (I believe Jurk got strip-sacked on the series so we got screwed 7 pts there). That's just off the top of my head. They were a complete abomination.

edit - they also called a late hit by McDuffie on the QB who was still in play and hadn't stepped out of bounds yet.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:24 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I didn't see the game due to not having acc network. What was the issue with th refs?

They called PI on BC on every Pitt incompletion. They reviewed and missed a targeting call to the head of Jurkovec. Long was interfered with in the end zone as he was about to haul in a TD and they conveniently put the flags away (I believe Jurk got strip-sacked on the series so we got screwed 7 pts there). That's just off the top of my head. They were a complete abomination.

edit - they also called a late hit by McDuffie on the QB who was still in play and hadn't stepped out of bounds yet.

I am not sure that the flag on that play when McDuffie hit the QB (while still in bounds) was on McDuffie. I think it was personal foul on both the offense and the defense
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Anyway, good game today. I am "pleased" that they won. And really we are all "pleased" for no other reason that the guy who hit that 50+ yard field goal to take the game to overtime was the same guy who missed the XP in OT.

Jurkovec drives me crazy. He drives me crazy because he is so talented. Apparently, due to his talent I expect too much of him. He does incredible things (and had some beautiful passes today) and at the same time, he get absolutely butchered in the pocket for holding on the football way too long. If he going to keep doing that, fine, go max protection and let the passing play go 12 seconds or whatever it is while 3 wideouts struggle mightily to try and get open with 7 people covering them.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:57 pm

All of BC's pass interference calls? Well. I would say that almost all of them were entirely justified. There was "some" grabbing on all of them. Maybe not a lot "grabbing", but it was there, enough to demand a flag. And maybe that is a coaching decision that Hafley has made this year. He know that his defensive backs are not the speediest or the most talented and he would rather they get a PI/holding flag and give up the first down than give up 6 points? I don't know. This BC team is piling up the penalties, way more than we ever saw with Addazio.

We can't be angry with all the flags if they weren't justified. Watching the entire game, I would say that they were. But it still great to be 3-1 heading down to vpi.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:02 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Anyway, good game today. I am "pleased" that they won. And really we are all "pleased" for no other reason that the guy who hit that 50+ yard field goal to take the game to overtime was the same guy who missed the XP in OT.

Jurkovec drives me crazy. He drives me crazy because he is so talented. Apparently, due to his talent I expect too much of him. He does incredible things (and had some beautiful passes today) and at the same time, he get absolutely butchered in the pocket for holding on the football way too long. If he going to keep doing that, fine, go max protection and let the passing play go 12 seconds or whatever it is while 3 wideouts struggle mightily to try and get open with 7 people covering them.

Lets make this clear. There were a couple of plays where he held the ball for too long...but he's getting butchered in the pocket on every down cause our offensive line is playing like trash and we hired a shitty OL coach.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:03 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:The secondary played great. Most of the PI calls were not truly on them. Josh DeBerry and Jason Maitre impress me a lot, personally.

The front seven? My God. Kind of soft. There were multiple plays where there could have been a tackle for loss but it somehow turned into a gain. Too many missed tackles that could have stunted PITT drives, particularly missed tackles against their QB.

I have no idea what people see in Maitre. Sebastian and DeBerry, fine.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:04 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Zay burned #15 for all 3 TDs.

Will we be ranked or just receive a few votes?

Beat vpi and they will be "ranked" near the bottom of the top 25. Right now? No.

Huge win for Duke today. That is good because it makes BC's win over Duke somewhat meaningful.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:05 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:Front seven played well at the end.

Applebaum needs to be shot into the sun.

Maitre looked like a potential high ankle sprain.

Teddy will be psyched for the Maitre injury: opens the door for more Tate Haynes, right????

Cant wait to see how much Maitre sucks once he is out a couple of games

I'm looking forward to Sebastian not being the only legitimate D-1 talent in the secondary. Try multiple freshman replacing him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:06 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Anyway, good game today. I am "pleased" that they won. And really we are all "pleased" for no other reason that the guy who hit that 50+ yard field goal to take the game to overtime was the same guy who missed the XP in OT.

Lets make this clear. There were a couple of plays where he held the ball for too long...but he's getting butchered in the pocket on every down cause our offensive line is playing like trash and we hired a shitty OL coach.

Okay fair enough, its not all on him. Some of it is on him, enough that sometimes he drives us all crazy. But its good because we are starting to expect a lot of him.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:08 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

Okay fair enough, its not all on him. Some of it is on him, enough that sometimes he drives us all crazy. But its good because we are starting to expect a lot of him.

He's a sophomore in his fourth start. You're a moron in your 450th start.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:39 pm

This thread is a cesspool, but I'm not surprised, all things considered.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Given the way the refs were calling PI, Long definitely was interfered with. Jumping offside on 4th & 8 was a killer as it led to Pitt’s first TD. I believe this offense can take the next step and put 60 minutes together. Their 2 minute offense is still excellent.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 pm

@nospace you put "quotes" around very "random" words

@twb, he's fine as a 3rd CB, will be interesting as hafley starts cycling in more of his recruits
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:11 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:@nospace you put "quotes" around very "random" words

"sorry"
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:58 pm

Refs ruined that game. Bailed out Pickett on every incompletion.

I saw significant improvement from Jurk. He still takes some horrible sacks and holds onto the ball comically too long. But, he’s gotten much better. This game he was willing to throw the ball to someone other than Long. Made some good runs. And some of his deep throws were fantastic.

Applebaum can’t leave fast enough. Took a great OL and destroyed it to the point where they cannot run block at all. They are a mess and the idea of putting everyone in new positions to get the best 5 on the field will go down as the dumbest move an assistant coach has made since forcing a position group to stay and do up-downs after a fan-invited scrimmage.

Finally... I hate playing Pitt. Always have. Always a frustrating game win or lose.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:16 pm

Refs keeping their hands in their pockets in the Long TD after all the questionable PIs on BC DBs was laugh out loud funny.

On replay the Flowers TD in OT was a much better pass than I realized at the time. Long ball and well timed.

There needs to be some rule instituted about a defenders momentum. Pickett only stepped out of bounds as he saw McDuffie bearing down on him. McDuffie had no chance to stop or redirect himself.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:41 pm

The officiating was hot garbage even by ACC standards. We should kill a crew chief just once to encourage the others to suck much less. Anyway, love the way Phil played down the stretch. This team is fun to watch and will only become more fun.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:50 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:The officiating was hot garbage even by ACC standards. We should kill a crew chief just once to encourage the others to suck much less. Anyway, love the way Phil played down the stretch. This team is fun to watch and will only become more fun.

This. They lack some talent on D and the OLine is playng like hot garbage but if you blitz and no huddle to cover that, you can get away with it against 3/4 of the schedule.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:47 am

I know folks were killing Herzy. But, I thought he was on the money on some of his comments. For instance, he pointed out that the fake handoffs were doing nothing as Pitt’s D didn’t respect BC’s rushing attack.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:48 am

from the zay bomb to when we successfully blew the lead, 9 of 10 first downs were run plays (1 was designed pass where jurk was targeted). terrible game by cignetti
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:07 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

and the spot before Jurk's QB sneak
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:42 am

By the way, Zay is a superstar.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:57 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

and the spot before Jurk's QB sneak

13 years ago, I remember a game at Georgia Tech. The Ramblin' Wreck were nationally ranked and BC was not (yet.) A pass-blitz happy Tech was a heavy favorite. It was a night game, beautiful Georgia night in mid to late September. And BC took them to the woodshed. And BC's offensive linemen personally GAVE UP 50 yards of field position with 5 separate holding penalties. 50 yards and BC and Ryan still killed them. I say that was Jagodzinski telling his linemen "I don't give a fuck how many penalties you give up, NO ONE touches Ryan."

Do you guys really think those pass interference penalties were undeserved yesterday? I watched the same game you guys did and they reviewed every time the yellow hankie came out as Pitt was rewarded with a first down. And each time they reviewed it, there was at least some contact. I would have thrown the flag.

If there is an ACC referee complaint here, the complaint would be that they threw the flag so often on BC and (maybe) not enough on Pitt? But looking at the least three games at Chestnut Hill, this BC team is very heavily penalized, particularly on defense. It wasn't nearly that bad last year. Perhaps the additionally penalties on defense are a product of Hafley being a defensive-minded coach, trying to get the maximum production he can from what I believe are limited athletes, and wanting his defense to be super aggressive at the point of attack? Where as Addazio took the "there damn well better NOT be penalties" approach and his defense would get toasted.

BC's defense has not really given up ANY big plays in 4 games on defense. Nothing. They have given up points, lots of first down, lots of yardage, lots of penalties, way too many 4th down conversions, but no 75 yard bombs or 50+ yard runs. Pitt didn't do any of that. UNC didn't do any of that. Neither did Texas State or Duke. So all these additional penalties (which I think are deserved) may be a product of an entirely different approach to the defense. And if that is the case, then (as long as they win) then maybe Hafley is playing 3-dimensional chess? I don't know. I really don't think he is all that aggravated by it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby yurch10 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:08 am

I'm sure you could argue against all of the PI penalties, but the problem was there were a. way too many, which ruined the flow of the game, and b. many of them happened on 3rd and long, which bailed out Pitt multiple times.

They were generally poor calls. The short slant where announcers thought it would be a hit to the head on the QB - that was an extremely soft penalty. And there was one on a longer throw, where the contact was 50/50, but the pass was nowhere close to being catchable.

If you want to replay each PI on slow-mo, you'll find contact on all of em. That's my big issue with this replay infatuation. That hit on the QB outta bounds was completely marginal, and the non-Herzlich announcer actually mentioned it. But when you watch the replay, it looks worse than it is, like the defender can slow it down in real speed and choose either way.

Refs need to chill with the flags. Get the holdings and the egregious PIs that affect the game. Frustrating watching a good game like that which is effectively ruined by the refs.
yurch10
n00b

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:53 am

In terms of officiating, just be consistent. Anyone associated with the game of football will tell you that. Our secondary is MUCH more physical than it has been since we have gone to more man coverage. We are going to have more flags against us. Just call the game the same way for both sides. I keep thinking about Hunter in the endzone.... which was the same level of contact we were getting flagged for. They throw the flag there and we have much less to complain about.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 pm

The worst ref issue of the day was the non-call on Long in the endzone. I don't mind the pass interference stuff on us, but the false starts and late hits are brutal. I think Applebaum deserves some of the blame but the knock on Cignetti at all his stops was that he had great skill guys but bad OLines. I think the problem right now beyond the position switching is that they try a lot of different things (power, trapping, counters, zone) and do none of it well. The line schemes probably need to be slimmed down to what they can do well.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:03 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:

Teddy will be psyched for the Maitre injury: opens the door for more Tate Haynes, right????

I'm looking forward to Sebastian not being the only legitimate D-1 talent in the secondary. Try multiple freshman replacing him.

I like Matire because he isn’t Tate Haynes
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:

JH said he was the MVP of the D yesterday.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium