Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. UNC - 10/3/2020

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. UNC - 10/3/2020

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:42 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Also, if the 2pt was a read option, Jurk needs to read better. Gives it to Garwo he walks in. Tough to second guess a guy that wants it in his hands, but the replay was crazy

Not correct. #21 (a very good LB) was standing in the "hole" waiting for him.

There were 5 linemen to block that one guy. I recorded the game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:36 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Phil Jurkovec is a superstar in the making. Kid is gonna be special for us.

This is what we are all hoping. I hope he stays all three years. Obviously this is not the season that BC will make noise nationally. It wont be next year either. But 2022, with Daz's players gone and Hafley's players taking over, that might be the year to win the ACC.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:42 pm

The 5 linemen didn’t block that one guy. So if Jurk gave it, Garwo was getting stopped. From the Post game Hafley basically said it was a pass where they jammed Long, and took away the second option as well. Jurk doesn’t look ready to get to read number three in the progression, not to mention there isn’t enough field and time within the play. Defense doesn’t have to cover a lot of grass down there. Bottom line is NC made a play and we didn’t.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Best thing to watch is Hafley’s post-game interview. Lots of his stuff is filled with coachspeak and making nice with the media. But, that video after the game was raw. He was pissed. He wasn’t happy to have hung with them. He wasn’t proud of his D or the final drive. He was ripshit that they lost.

Hafley is so gone from BC by the end of Year Three. He’s a real good coach. He’ll have head coaching opportunities with BabyRapist, but he’s also going to get NFL looks if he starts winning games like yesterday. I see him leaving here for the first NFL offer... which means he will have gotten the program to a good spot nationally. Year 3 of Jurk will be like Foley senior year (to continue my Coughlin/Hafley comp).

I remind you that we were outplayed by Texas State 8 days ago
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:57 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Our WRs lack athleticism and the ability to get any separation. While the OL play is problematic there were at least three times yesterday where Jurk had all day in the pocket, then scrambled a bit behind the line buying another 3 or 4 seconds while looking downfield before ultimately having to take off for a minimal 3 or 4 yard gain. That is absolutely inexcusable from the WRs. With that amount of time even the most slow footed of receivers should be able to break free or at least pull the defense out of position so that a mobile QB has some space to run.

There were folks open. Just like last week. He’s not good right now at knowing where to go with the ball. He’s just not seeing the field well. That’s not much of a criticism. It is completely understandable for someone who hasn’t played in 2 years, is in a new system/coach/team and whose high school experience was just to go out and freelance. Even though he short-hopped some throws yesterday, you can tell his arm-strength is legit. Every throw is a laser. He’s not a runner (which seemed to be his billing coming in), but hard to tackle. As every commentator has said, he is Rothlisberger-like.

He needs a lot of seasoning and you can see how he could develop over time and could be flat out dangerous if the game ever slows down for him. But, he’s not there yet. So, when he’s scrambling for 45 seconds and holding onto the ball forever... that’s more an indictment on him than the WRs.

I think you’re all scarred by the recent QBs here. He threw 56 times for 300 yards and a QB Rating of 56.8. He wasn’t very good in this game, those yards are a product of throwing it 56 times. He was better in the Duke game.

Thought the offensive play selection sucked also. You gave your best player 8 touches. Bailed had some success on the perimeter runs and never tried them again.

The last thing I am is scarred by Addazio. I’m pretty clear eyed about the program and have been about the only one not deeming Jurk an immediate savior. That said, while I don’t think he is ready for prime time, I do see glimpses of what he could one day be.

Bottom line... as much as AngryDick hates it, a win now program like ND was 100% correct in starting Ian Book. For a hopefully win in Year 3, Jurk ain’t a bad option.

I think Sam Howell as a true soph was pretty impressive. He’s going to be getting NFL buzz next year.

Better play calling would’ve helped Jurk and the o-line.

No, they're scheming around a weaker-than-expected offensive line. Thus Bailey doesn't fit. Let's see what the BC offense does with a full offseason for conditioning.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Best thing to watch is Hafley’s post-game interview. Lots of his stuff is filled with coachspeak and making nice with the media. But, that video after the game was raw. He was pissed. He wasn’t happy to have hung with them. He wasn’t proud of his D or the final drive. He was ripshit that they lost.

Hafley is so gone from BC by the end of Year Three. He’s a real good coach. He’ll have head coaching opportunities with BabyRapist, but he’s also going to get NFL looks if he starts winning games like yesterday. I see him leaving here for the first NFL offer... which means he will have gotten the program to a good spot nationally. Year 3 of Jurk will be like Foley senior year (to continue my Coughlin/Hafley comp).

Agreed. If Lukabu is as good as he seems to be, I hope BC doesn't outsmart itself and just elevates him.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Also, if the 2pt was a read option, Jurk needs to read better. Gives it to Garwo he walks in. Tough to second guess a guy that wants it in his hands, but the replay was crazy

So they were all magically going to block him if he handed it off?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:45 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Almost 18 hrs later, kinda feels similar to the Miami home loss at the end of Coughlin's 1st yr. Has the "things are getting better and on the right track" feel.

Fuck... I was thinking the exact same thing. And to that point, TC was so effing pissed off after losing that Miami game. We were freaking 4-7 and almost beat the #1 soon-to-be national champ on the last play of the game. And TC was ripshit. That’s what you want. A guy who always wants to win and is dying to get back at it after a loss.

Look. I’ve always liked Hafley. You can see my posts when he was an assistant at Pitt. But, I don’t think he’s as magical as Coughlin. That said, I do think we are being coached by a guy who will be an NFL head coach one day.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:51 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Yes. Its magic, blocking. At least at BC.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

If the argument is over was the run open on the 2 point conversion, I would say it was but I never watched it again. In real time looked like the middle of the field was wide open to run. Jurk is a big dude could have carried someone a yard. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:32 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Our WRs lack athleticism and the ability to get any separation. While the OL play is problematic there were at least three times yesterday where Jurk had all day in the pocket, then scrambled a bit behind the line buying another 3 or 4 seconds while looking downfield before ultimately having to take off for a minimal 3 or 4 yard gain. That is absolutely inexcusable from the WRs. With that amount of time even the most slow footed of receivers should be able to break free or at least pull the defense out of position so that a mobile QB has some space to run.

There were folks open. Just like last week. He’s not good right now at knowing where to go with the ball. He’s just not seeing the field well. That’s not much of a criticism. It is completely understandable for someone who hasn’t played in 2 years, is in a new system/coach/team and whose high school experience was just to go out and freelance. Even though he short-hopped some throws yesterday, you can tell his arm-strength is legit. Every throw is a laser. He’s not a runner (which seemed to be his billing coming in), but hard to tackle. As every commentator has said, he is Rothlisberger-like.

He needs a lot of seasoning and you can see how he could develop over time and could be flat out dangerous if the game ever slows down for him. But, he’s not there yet. So, when he’s scrambling for 45 seconds and holding onto the ball forever... that’s more an indictment on him than the WRs.

I think you’re all scarred by the recent QBs here. He threw 56 times for 300 yards and a QB Rating of 56.8. He wasn’t very good in this game, those yards are a product of throwing it 56 times. He was better in the Duke game.

Thought the offensive play selection sucked also. You gave your best player 8 touches. Bailed had some success on the perimeter runs and never tried them again.

QBR is a stat made up by ESPN and he ranks 33rd in that category which is ahead of Sam Howell. https://www.espn.com/college-football/q ... R/dir/desc

His passer rating in yesterday's game was a 124.8: https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... l-jurkovec

Jurkovec was running for his life all game because the OL sucks and UNC blitzed a lot and he still had a good game.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

If the argument is over was the run open on the 2 point conversion, I would say it was but I never watched it again. In real time looked like the middle of the field was wide open to run. Jurk is a big dude could have carried someone a yard. :ace

A run wasn’t the play call on the 2 pt conversion. Hafley was pretty clear in the post game about it. That said, to say that Jurk should have given the ball to Garwo on the read because there was a hole there shows how little we know about the read option. Christ. If you jokers are going to criticize football at least understand the game. In BC’s zone read game they have the QB read a backside player, usually the end man on the line of scrimmage (usually the DE). They don’t block him. If the DE crashes (chases the running back) the QB pulls and replaces him running backside against the flow. If the DE attacks the mesh point the QB gives. The QB NEVER looks to see if there is a hole to determine whether or not to hand off. He reads the unblocked player. Jurk wasn’t reading anybody on the DL. And the middle wasn’t wide open for Garwo to walk in.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:29 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

This.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

A run wasn’t the play call on the 2 pt conversion. Hafley was pretty clear in the post game about it. That said, to say that Jurk should have given the ball to Garwo on the read because there was a hole there shows how little we know about the read option. Christ. If you jokers are going to criticize football at least understand the game. In BC’s zone read game they have the QB read a backside player, usually the end man on the line of scrimmage (usually the DE). They don’t block him. If the DE crashes (chases the running back) the QB pulls and replaces him running backside against the flow. If the DE attacks the mesh point the QB gives. The QB NEVER looks to see if there is a hole to determine whether or not to hand off. He reads the unblocked player. Jurk wasn’t reading anybody on the DL. And the middle wasn’t wide open for Garwo to walk in.

None of this is true. The middle was WIDE open. Still have the game recorded. If it wasn't read option, don't bother faking, no one fell for it. If any of what you say is true, it is a shitty fucking play and they should dump it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BrightonEagle on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Overlooked story so far is Carlson. He’s been really good.

I think Hafley is infinitely better than addazio but I gotta say that this game also reminded me of the 2014 FSU game a bit.
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

None of this is true. The middle was WIDE open. Still have the game recorded. If it wasn't read option, don't bother faking, no one fell for it. If any of what you say is true, it is a shitty fucking play and they should dump it.

Happy you have the game recorded. Now watch it. Domingo is right #21 is sitting right there unblocked. After watching it a second and third time the play was a clusterfuck. Our guys were not on the same page. Hafley said in the post game they had a man call and a zone call. Receiver goes in motion and nobody follows so Jurk knows it’s zone. Everybody should know it’s zone. Jurk doesn’t read anybody on the DL (No read option) and just drops his hands (token fake) to pull up/freeze the linebackers. Here’s where it goes sideways. The OL (minus the LT who got blown up) is run blocking. 72 is downfield in the end zone. Long gets held in his release and he’s running an out and up. Slot receiver should be getting under him and it become a high low corner read which is a nice zone play. Corner takes Long, throw underneath to slot whose closest guy is a LB. if the corner sits you have Long on a safety which BC will take all day. Problems continue with Long getting held up on the line and the slot I think got knocked down. If Jurk completes the 2 pt pass it would have come back anyway. That shit has to get fixed.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:08 pm

Just watched it a 4th time. Seems like Jurk, Garwo, and Long thought it was a pass and everyone else thought it was a run. Slot in motion went to block, slot on the left went to wall off the LB as his way of blocking. Zay just ran into his man. LT actually did a good job taking the DE out of a running play.....
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:43 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

QBR is a stat made up by ESPN and he ranks 33rd in that category which is ahead of Sam Howell. https://www.espn.com/college-football/q ... R/dir/desc

His passer rating in yesterday's game was a 124.8: https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... l-jurkovec

Jurkovec was running for his life all game because the OL sucks and UNC blitzed a lot and he still had a good game.

Agreed totally on the OL play it's really bad. Tons of drops also. Jurk wasn't very good, he just happened to chuck it 60 times. It's like Addazio running 60 times for 200 yards.

This offense will continue to be below average until they figure out the blocking.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Almost 18 hrs later, kinda feels similar to the Miami home loss at the end of Coughlin's 1st yr. Has the "things are getting better and on the right track" feel.

Fuck... I was thinking the exact same thing. And to that point, TC was so effing pissed off after losing that Miami game. We were freaking 4-7 and almost beat the #1 soon-to-be national champ on the last play of the game. And TC was ripshit. That’s what you want. A guy who always wants to win and is dying to get back at it after a loss.

Look. I’ve always liked Hafley. You can see my posts when he was an assistant at Pitt. But, I don’t think he’s as magical as Coughlin. That said, I do think we are being coached by a guy who will be an NFL head coach one day.

I do think though Hafley is a new version of Coughlin for BC in that, I don't think he will be here very long (though like TC will only leave for the right job when the timing is right) but we are going to be treated to some very exciting football while he is here.

Once he takes BC to our first 10-win season in what will by then probably be almost two decades, he will get tapped for the next job.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:18 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I do think though Hafley is a new version of Coughlin for BC in that, I don't think he will be here very long (though like TC will only leave for the right job when the timing is right) but we are going to be treated to some very exciting football while he is here.

Once he takes BC to our first 10-win season in what will by then probably be almost two decades, he will get tapped for the next job.

HC of the NYJ. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:23 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Agreed totally on the OL play it's really bad. Tons of drops also. Jurk wasn't very good, he just happened to chuck it 60 times. It's like Addazio running 60 times for 200 yards.

This offense will continue to be below average until they figure out the blocking.

Jurk wasn't very good? Dude was in his 3rd game and was running from free rushers almost every play. If his receivers could catch, the box score you're over analyzing would look a lot better. And David Bailey is not even close to the best player on the offense.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:58 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I hope you are right Murt. Dazzler started his coaching career at BC 2-1 as well so :shrug

This is a really tough year for any first year head coach. His players are just mediocre and we have Covid-19. That is why I wasn't asking for much and I say he gets a pass no matter how many games this team loses. When he starts playing with his own recruits we may have a better way to gauge how good a coaching prospect he is.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eaglecaddy on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:25 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I hope you are right Murt. Dazzler started his coaching career at BC 2-1 as well so :shrug

This is a really tough year for any first year head coach. His players are just mediocre and we have Covid-19. That is why I wasn't asking for much and I say he gets a pass no matter how many games this team loses. When he starts playing with his own recruits we may have a better way to gauge how good a coaching prospect he is.

Weren't you in attendance for "Dazzler's" first loss? I would think if you attended that game you would have noticed a major distinction between the USC game from 2013 and the UNC game in 2020 if comparing first losses. Just a thought.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:39 pm

eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Weren't you in attendance for "Dazzler's" first loss? I would think if you attended that game you would have noticed a major distinction between the USC game from 2013 and the UNC game in 2020 if comparing first losses. Just a thought.

Yes, I was there for Dazzler's first loss EVER as a BC head coach. I got to Compton around 8AM, parked just off the MLK exit ramp, and I was talking with Chase Rettig's and Alex Amidon's parents by 9:30 AM. Yes there is a major distinction between the USC game in 2013 and the UNC game of 2020. BC was in the game the whole time vs UNC and the only good thing about the 2013 game vs USC (a game they were never in) was BC's punter. Addazio's game day coaching in California was just meh. That said, the 2014 USC team was a significantly STRONGER team than the 2013 USC team (Kessler was a much better QB a year later.) And BC didn't have Rettig or Amidon on the 2014 team when Addazio beat them with 3 true frosh tailbacks. And no, Addazio's coaching ability didn't get all that much better from 2013 to 2014. Or did it? You tell me caddy, you are the maroon name.

Look, both coaches started their seasons in their first year at 2-1. Those are the data points we have. Wins and losses are what matter. Addazio was fired not because he was a shitty person but simply because he didn't win enough games. But I think its a bit silly to try and compare BC losing on the road in California to USC vs BC losing at home to UNC. The 2013 USC team and the 2020 UNC team are nothing alike, apples and oranges (or if you like, "distinctions.") We have no idea what would have happened if Halfley was coaching BC in 2013 vs USC. My point was their records were the same.

Just a thought.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm

The extra level of detail definitely makes this more believeable.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:52 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:The extra level of detail definitely makes this more believeable.

so does red font
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:08 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:The extra level of detail definitely makes this more believeable.

I would love to get a hansenesque dose of truth (ugly chick who gives bad head in Newport, kicking holes in drywall) around the real story of nospace and this game. Nospace wrote a post that I think was edited by one of the goldenshower names, and then nospace didn't correct it. He had someone's number who he thought was claver but claver claimed it wasn't him. There's been a bunch of denials from different parties but no truth.

If I don't have truth, I'm going to create rank fiction and pass it off as truth.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:28 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

I would love to get a hansenesque dose of truth (ugly chick who gives bad head in Newport, kicking holes in drywall) around the real story of nospace and this game. Nospace wrote a post that I think was edited by one of the goldenshower names, and then nospace didn't correct it. He had someone's number who he thought was claver but claver claimed it wasn't him. There's been a bunch of denials from different parties but no truth.

If I don't have truth, I'm going to create rank fiction and pass it off as truth.

I actually saved the personal messages from 2013 when we were sexting each other phone numbers. And I called this person so I know who it is. Its been 7 years. I am just waiting to see if he is man enough to come forward and admit he was a prankster and was never serious about going to the game.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:28 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

I am on the bozo filter so this cannot be read by retardo but I was at said USC game.

What he did was speak in generalities about the game and the atmosphere.

Don't murter me but I don't believe the golden names ever messed with his faux version of events.

Where he got f'd was homojs misunderstood details about a tailgate that never happened. There was supposed to be a tailgate hosted by the the Rettiguns but it never happened. They were going to have maroon and gold balloons outside a certain entrance to the coliseum. Homojs after drinking a full bottle of tequila confirmed it happened so retardo not knowing that it never happened added that specific detail to the story. He also said he was sexting Claver which I still want to believe happened. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium