Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. UNC - 10/3/2020

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. UNC - 10/3/2020

Postby Uptown Eagle on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:00 pm

LT looks like a real problem. Breakdowns all along the O-Line, but it seemed like LT was most confused of the bunch, including on the final 2PT attempt. That's a major disappointment given the returning starters up front.

The throw game is fun. It no longer feels hopeless on 3rd and long. I don't miss cracking the rock, but would like to see more runs mixed into the game plan, especially with Jurk involved with option reads.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:14 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That UNC team is far from good. Unless you think "doors blown off by Clemson, but can win rock fights with everyone else, and by everyone else, I mean literally everyone but Wake and GT," then yes, they are good. That is mediocre football team with some decent athletes that they can't get the ball coached by Joe Biden.

It’s the second best team in the ACC.
I’ll let someone else determine UNC ranking against the rest of the country.

I think UNC is 4th best in the ACC, behind Notre Dame (at 3), Miami (at 2), and Clemson at 1.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:Isn't it nice to care again?

Dazziani years were simply a waste of time.

You watch this game and you see adjustments being made.

Doubtful we have post games interviews ever again where the coach simply says "so what?" and goes on to remind you his team is young and injured after being embarrassed.

There is a pulse. Lots of missed opportunities today. More text messages and conversation with my BC alums that are casual fans. They are starting to pay attention again.

It is nice to care about BC football again. :ace

This. Game would have been a 20 point blowout under Spaddazio coaching.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:33 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That UNC team is far from good. Unless you think "doors blown off by Clemson, but can win rock fights with everyone else, and by everyone else, I mean literally everyone but Wake and GT," then yes, they are good. That is mediocre football team with some decent athletes that they can't get the ball coached by Joe Biden.

It’s the second best team in the ACC.
I’ll let someone else determine UNC ranking against the rest of the country.

Meh. Stop. That's not a bad loss but stop pretending that slop was a good opponent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:53 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:16 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I suspect that when the jerk store calls today, it will be us that they've run out of.

that means today is a loss

I regret to say that when you're right, you're right - and this post had it right.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:45 pm

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:LT looks like a real problem. Breakdowns all along the O-Line, but it seemed like LT was most confused of the bunch, including on the final 2PT attempt. That's a major disappointment given the returning starters up front.

The throw game is fun. It no longer feels hopeless on 3rd and long. I don't miss cracking the rock, but would like to see more runs mixed into the game plan, especially with Jurk involved with option reads.

If you ever type throw game again I swear I will hunt you down and kill you. I’m serious
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:33 pm

This team is fun to watch and they will only get better every week. Jeff Hafley and his staff are doing a terrific job. Holding UNC to 3 points offensively in the 2nd half with a defense ranked 120 last season is incredible. What a difference coaching makes. The end of each half has been managed brilliantly! If BC can keep Hafley we will have a top 10 program.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Uptown Eagle on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:LT looks like a real problem. Breakdowns all along the O-Line, but it seemed like LT was most confused of the bunch, including on the final 2PT attempt. That's a major disappointment given the returning starters up front.

If you ever type throw game again I swear I will hunt you down and kill you. I’m serious

Throw game
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:33 pm

I was very encouraged by everything except for the OL. This may be the least bad I've felt after a close loss, but man, I can't believe the OL is the biggest weakness of the team right now. The good news/bad news is that the coaches know this and game planned accordingly, but still disappointing that the OL can't pass protect or give the coaches confidence in the run game. As someone else mentioned, the LT had a rough game. Very rough.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:41 pm

The dropped passes have to stop as well.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:54 am

we've now seen a brand new HC & starting Qb execute end of half situations multiple times. daz bungled it even when he wasn't on the sidelines.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:42 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:we've now seen a brand new HC & starting Qb execute end of half situations multiple times. daz bungled it even when he wasn't on the sidelines.

The clock management improvement is welcome, although it's a little strange that the offense only functions in the 2 minute drill
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:22 am

Our WRs lack athleticism and the ability to get any separation. While the OL play is problematic there were at least three times yesterday where Jurk had all day in the pocket, then scrambled a bit behind the line buying another 3 or 4 seconds while looking downfield before ultimately having to take off for a minimal 3 or 4 yard gain. That is absolutely inexcusable from the WRs. With that amount of time even the most slow footed of receivers should be able to break free or at least pull the defense out of position so that a mobile QB has some space to run.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:32 am

12 penalties!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:44 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Our WRs lack athleticism and the ability to get any separation. While the OL play is problematic there were at least three times yesterday where Jurk had all day in the pocket, then scrambled a bit behind the line buying another 3 or 4 seconds while looking downfield before ultimately having to take off for a minimal 3 or 4 yard gain. That is absolutely inexcusable from the WRs. With that amount of time even the most slow footed of receivers should be able to break free or at least pull the defense out of position so that a mobile QB has some space to run.

There were folks open. Just like last week. He’s not good right now at knowing where to go with the ball. He’s just not seeing the field well. That’s not much of a criticism. It is completely understandable for someone who hasn’t played in 2 years, is in a new system/coach/team and whose high school experience was just to go out and freelance. Even though he short-hopped some throws yesterday, you can tell his arm-strength is legit. Every throw is a laser. He’s not a runner (which seemed to be his billing coming in), but hard to tackle. As every commentator has said, he is Rothlisberger-like.

He needs a lot of seasoning and you can see how he could develop over time and could be flat out dangerous if the game ever slows down for him. But, he’s not there yet. So, when he’s scrambling for 45 seconds and holding onto the ball forever... that’s more an indictment on him than the WRs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:53 am

Best thing to watch is Hafley’s post-game interview. Lots of his stuff is filled with coachspeak and making nice with the media. But, that video after the game was raw. He was pissed. He wasn’t happy to have hung with them. He wasn’t proud of his D or the final drive. He was ripshit that they lost.

Hafley is so gone from BC by the end of Year Three. He’s a real good coach. He’ll have head coaching opportunities with BabyRapist, but he’s also going to get NFL looks if he starts winning games like yesterday. I see him leaving here for the first NFL offer... which means he will have gotten the program to a good spot nationally. Year 3 of Jurk will be like Foley senior year (to continue my Coughlin/Hafley comp).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Our WRs lack athleticism and the ability to get any separation. While the OL play is problematic there were at least three times yesterday where Jurk had all day in the pocket, then scrambled a bit behind the line buying another 3 or 4 seconds while looking downfield before ultimately having to take off for a minimal 3 or 4 yard gain. That is absolutely inexcusable from the WRs. With that amount of time even the most slow footed of receivers should be able to break free or at least pull the defense out of position so that a mobile QB has some space to run.

There were folks open. Just like last week. He’s not good right now at knowing where to go with the ball. He’s just not seeing the field well. That’s not much of a criticism. It is completely understandable for someone who hasn’t played in 2 years, is in a new system/coach/team and whose high school experience was just to go out and freelance. Even though he short-hopped some throws yesterday, you can tell his arm-strength is legit. Every throw is a laser. He’s not a runner (which seemed to be his billing coming in), but hard to tackle. As every commentator has said, he is Rothlisberger-like.

He needs a lot of seasoning and you can see how he could develop over time and could be flat out dangerous if the game ever slows down for him. But, he’s not there yet. So, when he’s scrambling for 45 seconds and holding onto the ball forever... that’s more an indictment on him than the WRs.

I will agree with you that he's green and more guys are open than he is seeing, but you can visibly see him going through his progressions and he knows where to go with the ball on the run. He had several very good throws rolling right, including the cross body throw to Flowers on what I think was the TD drive where Flowers high pointed the ball over the DB.

I didn't think UNC was all that great offensively - certainly good athletes, but they didn't do much yesterday on a defense with lesser talent. Some of that was a nice D game plan, but BC played a lot of man and didn't get burned much.

On defense though, they have some athletes in the secondary, thought they covered very well. Considering BC went right at that with the passing game, I thought they did pretty well.

I do agree that Jurkovec is a far better QB when operating in the 2 minute offense and he has to just play rather than thinking too much. To me that is a sign that he is going to get it - maybe the full offense is still a lot to take in, but distilling it down he is already there. Someone else said that they should sprinkle the two minute offense in throughout the game, a la the old Patriots. I think that's a worthy idea.

All told, the kid can't be struggling too much having 300 yard passing games in 2 conference games, including one that was almost an upset of the #12 team in the country (as much as I think that's bullshit, it is what it is).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Best thing to watch is Hafley’s post-game interview. Lots of his stuff is filled with coachspeak and making nice with the media. But, that video after the game was raw. He was pissed. He wasn’t happy to have hung with them. He wasn’t proud of his D or the final drive. He was ripshit that they lost.

Hafley is so gone from BC by the end of Year Three. He’s a real good coach. He’ll have head coaching opportunities with BabyRapist, but he’s also going to get NFL looks if he starts winning games like yesterday. I see him leaving here for the first NFL offer... which means he will have gotten the program to a good spot nationally. Year 3 of Jurk will be like Foley senior year (to continue my Coughlin/Hafley comp).

This is very true and very good for the program.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I think you’re all scarred by the recent QBs here. He threw 56 times for 300 yards and a QB Rating of 56.8. He wasn’t very good in this game, those yards are a product of throwing it 56 times. He was better in the Duke game.

Thought the offensive play selection sucked also. You gave your best player 8 touches. Bailed had some success on the perimeter runs and never tried them again.
Last edited by eepstein0 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:43 am

I think you are scarred by the Addazio era into assuming this is a running team. It's not. Garwo should be the RB in this offense and use Bailey with a lead, short yardage and red zone work.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I think you’re all scarred by the recent QBs here. He threw 56 times for 300 yards and a QB Rating of 56.8. He wasn’t very good in this game, those yards are a product of throwing it 56 times. He was better in the Duke game.

Thought the offensive play selection sucked also. You gave your best player 8 touches. Bailed had some success on the perimeter runs and never tried them again.

He certainly played better against Duke. Duke's defense is not as good as UNC's defense. No one suggested he was Matt Ryan yesterday, he was very good for his third start against the #12 team in the country.

Bailey was BC's best player in Addazio's offense. The offense everyone hated.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Also, if the 2pt was a read option, Jurk needs to read better. Gives it to Garwo he walks in. Tough to second guess a guy that wants it in his hands, but the replay was crazy

Not correct. #21 (a very good LB) was standing in the "hole" waiting for him.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:16 am

I’m guessing we’re still in a simpler version of the offense than what we’d see under ordinary circumstances, and that makes us less explosive. As people have said, if/when Jurk can get the game to come as easily to him as he does in the 2 minute it’s going to be electric and Hafley will be a hot commodity.

UNC is overranked, but I take that as just as much of a sign of how easy it is to get yourself into the top 25, and I have no doubt that we’ll get there soon.

Without Kobay the passing offense is not going to be what it could be. Not because Gill and Flowers aren’t good for BC, but because they’re always going to be covered by the top 2 CBs. If Kobay were out there and Zay could work out of the slot it would open a lot of things up, but only 2 P5 receivers is not going to cut it when most teams are built to play against 3 or 4 wide every snap.

Overall I’m encouraged by Lukabu and Hafley’s ability to get anything out of this defense, and the flashes from Jurk.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:19 am

agreed re hafley / lukabu.

we all know the limitations they're dealing with on D esp w Jones out. but they allowed 24 points + a turnover that set up the O at the 5. i'll take that when dealing with what'll probably end up a top 5 O in the acc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:25 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The last thing I am is scarred by Addazio. I’m pretty clear eyed about the program and have been about the only one not deeming Jurk an immediate savior. That said, while I don’t think he is ready for prime time, I do see glimpses of what he could one day be.

Bottom line... as much as AngryDick hates it, a win now program like ND was 100% correct in starting Ian Book. For a hopefully win in Year 3, Jurk ain’t a bad option.

I think Sam Howell as a true soph was pretty impressive. He’s going to be getting NFL buzz next year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The last thing I am is scarred by Addazio. I’m pretty clear eyed about the program and have been about the only one not deeming Jurk an immediate savior. That said, while I don’t think he is ready for prime time, I do see glimpses of what he could one day be.

Bottom line... as much as AngryDick hates it, a win now program like ND was 100% correct in starting Ian Book. For a hopefully win in Year 3, Jurk ain’t a bad option.

I think Sam Howell as a true soph was pretty impressive. He’s going to be getting NFL buzz next year.

Better play calling would’ve helped Jurk and the o-line.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Almost 18 hrs later, kinda feels similar to the Miami home loss at the end of Coughlin's 1st yr. Has the "things are getting better and on the right track" feel.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:42 pm

Phil Jurkovec is a superstar in the making. Kid is gonna be special for us.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium