Official Gameday Thread - Texas State

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Texas State

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:One other hugely interesting play was the DROP on 3rd down before out last punt. You HAVE to catch that (CJ Lewis maybe?). And I really didn't think the ball hit the ground and that could have been an INT but it was reviewed. Huge turn of events as Carlson boomed one for a net of 55 yards on the next snap.

Alligator arms: remember that about him from his limited play last year.

For a big kid he sure doesn’t like to get hit.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Honeymoon period over indeed. As bad as RRPP was under Addazio, last year the offense actually ranked fairly well statistically and Bajakian got the Northwestern OC job right after the Addazio firing. Cignetti was unemployed before getting this job and he ain't getting shit after he eventually loses this job. Applebaum is looking very questionable at this point as well. Towson...Davidson...UConn grad...

last year BC's offense ranked #45, it was the highest ever under daz since ryan day left. previous years:
2018: 79
2017: 79
2016: 126
2015: 126

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... lloff/2019

I wasn’t talking about the other years. I was comparing Cignetti to Bajakian who was only here for one year. And Trautwein quickly landed a job at Penn St.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:21 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:We played like shit until the last few drives, but we also won in our wtf loss game of the year for the first time in a while, so I can’t honestly be that upset

This. 100% this. I am frustrated with the way the team played but I am not discouraged, disappointed, or even upset this morning because the team won. Eagletx is correct, there is a bunch we aint got (this year for sure.) So I am content with the W even though the reasonable side of me realizes there likely wont be many more of those this season.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:One other hugely interesting play was the DROP on 3rd down before out last punt. You HAVE to catch that (CJ Lewis maybe?). And I really didn't think the ball hit the ground and that could have been an INT but it was reviewed. Huge turn of events as Carlson boomed one for a net of 55 yards on the next snap.

He plays very soft. Even on the last play before the game winning field goal (the shot to the end zone) he was easily bumped and muscled off his route.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:We played like shit until the last few drives, but we also won in our wtf loss game of the year for the first time in a while, so I can’t honestly be that upset

Hafley pretty much said the same. Won’t apologize for a win. Team not good enough to worry about style points. Also confirmed that Jurk missed a ton of open players and is best when he doesn’t have to think. Wants to look into why Bailey didn’t get carries. Also said that he plans to get games into the fourth quarter and win or lose it there.

I still think the weird-ass shuffling along the OL is hurting this team more than anything. Applebaum was a bizarre hire and has done nothing to warrant the faith shown. I can’t help but think that the OLine’s under-performance is a factor on top OL recruits.

Last week, Hafley said they were vanilla offensively. He said that it was the most basic we’d be all season. He said that he wanted to only run plays the team were most practiced in (given new staff and lack of practice). If that’s what it looks like when the playbook is opened, they should close it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:47 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Honeymoon period over indeed. As bad as RRPP was under Addazio, last year the offense actually ranked fairly well statistically and Bajakian got the Northwestern OC job right after the Addazio firing. Cignetti was unemployed before getting this job and he ain't getting shit after he eventually loses this job. Applebaum is looking very questionable at this point as well. Towson...Davidson...UConn grad...

last year BC's offense ranked #45, it was the highest ever under daz since ryan day left. previous years:

I wasn’t talking about the other years. I was comparing Cignetti to Bajakian who was only here for one year. And Trautwein quickly landed a job at Penn St.

last year's team was ranked 45 offensively, through two games our team is ranked 41st offensively (includes teams who haven't played obviously it's tough to be apples to apples): https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -things-up

last night's game was bad offensively.

people are overreacting to two games w a 1st time HC, starting QB & brand new OC.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:51 am

The line pass blocks okay, with occasional breakdowns. They struggle with speed guys like the OLB from Duke. It is not run blocking well. Have to wonder whether they knew the strength of the O over the next few years would be the passing game and thus decided to shift the line to the best combination for that purpose. No idea why they would make the changes that they did otherwise. Takes time to get the winning line continuity and they already had it prepackaged
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:01 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:

He plays very soft. Even on the last play before the game winning field goal (the shot to the end zone) he was easily bumped and muscled off his route.

He’s not good. I made this point multiple times this summer
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:09 am

Watching the game winning FG kick again it looks like the snap was slightly bobbled. Credit the holder for recovering and getting the ball down, but we were really close to having to pull this one out in OT.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

last year's team was ranked 45 offensively, through two games our team is ranked 41st offensively (includes teams who haven't played obviously it's tough to be apples to apples): https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -things-up

people are overreacting to two games w a 1st time HC, starting QB & brand new OC.

They are ranked 41 after playing Duke and Texas St! And as you mentioned, many teams haven't even played yet. Wait until the full slate of ACC games kick in and all teams are playing.

Pretty much everybody hated or was confused by the Cignetti and Applebaum hires. I don't think I'm overreacting, just calling it like I see it so far. I hope I'm wrong and would love to see improvement throughout the year.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:28 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Pretty much everybody hated or was confused by the Cignetti and Applebaum hires. I don't think I'm overreacting, just calling it like I see it so far. I hope I'm wrong and would love to see improvement throughout the year.

To be clear, I didn’t like Cignetti hire only because we seemed to be in play with some exciting young guys that ultimately wound up with much better jobs (including NFL OC). I understood the move by Hafley to give the position with the most autonomy (OC) to someone he knew, trusted and had done it before. It was a conservative move, but wildly defensible. I can’t say the same for Applebaum.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:37 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

They are ranked 41 after playing Duke and Texas St! And as you mentioned, many teams haven't even played yet. Wait until the full slate of ACC games kick in and all teams are playing.

Pretty much everybody hated or was confused by the Cignetti and Applebaum hires. I don't think I'm overreacting, just calling it like I see it so far. I hope I'm wrong and would love to see improvement throughout the year.

FWIW ranking factors strength of opponent
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The line pass blocks okay, with occasional breakdowns. They struggle with speed guys like the OLB from Duke. It is not run blocking well. Have to wonder whether they knew the strength of the O over the next few years would be the passing game and thus decided to shift the line to the best combination for that purpose. No idea why they would make the changes that they did otherwise. Takes time to get the winning line continuity and they already had it prepackaged

I'm watching the rebroadcast on DC-area MASN until about 2:30 PM, as I was driving last night and only listened to the radio broadcast.

Covid-19 obviously hurt conditioning, but wouldn't it be the power positions that are harmed the most? How many people really can replicate the equipment and staffing of a FBS strength program? It''s not just the weights, but also coaches like Matusz monitoring form (so players don't cheat) and maximizing intensity. But you can better replicate speed, agility, and skill training outside the weight room.

So teams that rely more upon a passing attack or say a lot of stretch running plays would not be affected as much, right? You can adjust how quickly you throw the ball, and you can use a quick runner to capitalize on angle blocking and over-pursuit.

But power running depends on a strong O-Line. If you can't do that, a lot of other things fall by the wayside. Play action won't be as effective, for example. The defense can play smaller, quicker players to defend the edge as they don't have to worry about being overpowered.

I'm thinking this helps explain why we saw so much of Travis Levy, and why we saw trickery like the Wildcat. It also helps explain why we'd see so much shuffling on the offensive line, to adjust for reduced aggregate power.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm

UMainr transfer that was widely panned ended up With 5 tackles and 1.5 sacks yesterday.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:26 pm

who panned him?

i think we'll take any and all bodies on D
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:who panned him?

Prior to his arrival here. I know Logi was questioning it among others.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:51 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:UMainr transfer that was widely panned ended up With 5 tackles and 1.5 sacks yesterday.

Makes you wonder what the DE depth chart looks like now.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:30 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

I did not pan him. I simply asked how do you have a new football player on a college football team at the end of September (5 weeks into the semester). Just seems odd. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:39 pm

I was told about Roberts on 9/14. Guess he was put in quarantine and only officially announced when that was over?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:38 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I did not pan him. I simply asked how do you have a new football player on a college football team at the end of September (5 weeks into the semester). Just seems odd. :ace

Why?
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:57 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Hafley said he has been practicing for 2 weeks so he’s been here since at least mid September.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Why?

Why is it odd someone transferring into a school 5 weeks into the semester as opposed to before the semester?

Most programs don't allow people to miss a five weeks of class and still join the class.

However, one point being made is that he had actually been at BC for a couple of weeks prior to this (something I did not know) so that certainly explains a lot.

My observations/question have nothing to do with his talent level. I also readily admit I paid very little attention to the off-season goings on because I did not want to invest time if there was not going to be a season.

Dazz whiffed on top defensive recruits for years and we need all the help we can get. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Would any of us be surprised if Daz lost this recruit to Maine (lol)! Daz would have shit his pants the last 2 minutes against TS. While I wished we would have won 45-10, at least we got to see how well Hafley managed the clock.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:22 am

Shitty Thanksgiving for that program today as one of their DBs was killed yesterday.
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/11 ... cials-say/
HJS
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium