2020 season prediction thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC’s final record

Poll ended at Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:08 pm

0-11
No votes
1-10
No votes
2-9
No votes
3-8
4%
4-7
11%
5-6
11%
6-5
26%
7-4
26%
8-3
7%
9-2
4%
10-1
No votes
11-0
No votes
10-2
7%
Pearl necklace
4%
Scrush2/4
No votes

Total votes : 27

Re: 2020 season prediction thread

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:20 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I’ll say it again... Anything less than 6 regular season wins this year is a disaster (as long as Phil is healthy).

I’ll say it again... :hansen
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:24 pm

The only two games we shouldn’t be able to stay close would be Clemson and Notre Dame—and I think Brian Kelly is more than capable of shitting the bed enough for us to stay close. The rest of the ACC is hot garbage. Dazzler would win six games with this OL and an honest to goodness D-I QB like Jurk. The over on six wins will depend entirely on whether Hafley is a good head coach. If he is a good coach, I think we win 8 games. If he is really good we will 9.

It is true that the D is still shaky, but we added some players that can patch some of those giant holes and I think we have a right to expect Hafley—the defensive wizard—will outperform Daz and staff in terms of scheming to cover deficiencies. The offense should score buckets of points this year.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:The only two games we shouldn’t be able to stay close would be Clemson and Notre Dame—and I think Brian Kelly is more than capable of shitting the bed enough for us to stay close. The rest of the ACC is hot garbage. Dazzler would win six games with this OL and an honest to goodness D-I QB like Jurk. The over on six wins will depend entirely on whether Hafley is a good head coach. If he is a good coach, I think we win 8 games. If he is really good we will 9.

It is true that the D is still shaky, but we added some players that can patch some of those giant holes and I think we have a right to expect Hafley—the defensive wizard—will outperform Daz and staff in terms of scheming to cover deficiencies. The offense should score buckets of points this year.

This. If Jurk is mediocre, 6 wins. If he and Hafley are home runs, there are only 2 games we should not win and only one we have no chance.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:42 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:The only two games we shouldn’t be able to stay close would be Clemson and Notre Dame—and I think Brian Kelly is more than capable of shitting the bed enough for us to stay close. The rest of the ACC is hot garbage. Dazzler would win six games with this OL and an honest to goodness D-I QB like Jurk. The over on six wins will depend entirely on whether Hafley is a good head coach. If he is a good coach, I think we win 8 games. If he is really good we will 9.

This. If Jurk is mediocre, 6 wins. If he and Hafley are home runs, there are only 2 games we should not win and only one we have no chance.

What if Jurk isn’t a savior? You guys are all believing Mike Farrell over Tommy Rees.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:42 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

What if Jurk isn’t a savior? You guys are all believing Mike Farrell over Tommy Rees.

I answered your question in the first sentence. For the record, this wouldn't be the first QB that regime has messed up on. Hell even Tommy Rees got picked at ND. Kelly loves Trent Dilfer types.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:17 am

You said mediocre... which I interpret as an average ACC QB. But, there is a chance he’s worse. I’m just saying that there is an awful lot of faith being put on a kid who has significantly less snaps than Grosel. If he’s good, it is a game changer as to how quickly Hafley will be able to accelerate the program. I’m just leaving over the possibility that he could be something short of expectations. Btw, if he is disappointing, that doesn’t mean he won’t improve and be great in two years. It just means we are looking at 4 wins for this season.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:You said mediocre... which I interpret as an average ACC QB. But, there is a chance he’s worse. I’m just saying that there is an awful lot of faith being put on a kid who has significantly less snaps than Grosel. If he’s good, it is a game changer as to how quickly Hafley will be able to accelerate the program. I’m just leaving over the possibility that he could be something short of expectations. Btw, if he is disappointing, that doesn’t mean he won’t improve and be great in two years. It just means we are looking at 4 wins for this season.

I think mediocre is the floor for the kid. I don't subscribe to your headcase theorem.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Irishriviera on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Jurk was a dominant quarterback in Western PA...there's a long history of star quarterbacks coming out of there and HS football there is top tier.

People I know who saw him play say he was one of the best they've ever seen. Is he going to be a star in college? Who knows, but I definitely wouldn't write him off because of Tommy Rees. I'd wager that it's a safe bet the kid can play.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:19 pm

'Nobody could be worse than Chris Crane' only applies in Jurk's case if Grosel beats him out for the starting role, which he will not. Savior or not, it's fair to expect that Jurk is gonna be the first QB we've had since NCBWTCC that actually isn't.

9/19 at Duke - W
9/26 vs Texas State - W
10/3 vs North Carolina - W
10/10 vs Pittsburgh - L
10/17 at Virginia Tech - L
10/24 vs Georgia Tech - W
10/31 at Clemson - L
11/7 at Syracuse - W
11/14 vs Notre Dame - L
11/27 vs Louisville - L
12/5 at Virginia - W

6-5
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Tell us who you think is going to win. no point spreads, no vegas odds, just the pure winner. feel free to add witty banter as you see fit.

9/19 at Duke W
9/26 vs Texas State W
10/3 vs North Carolina W
10/10 vs Pittsburgh W
10/17 at Virginia Tech L
10/24 vs Georgia Tech W
10/31 at Clemson W
11/7 at Syracuse W
11/14 vs Notre Dame L
11/27 vs Louisville W
12/5 at Virginia L

8-3
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:11 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Tell us who you think is going to win. no point spreads, no vegas odds, just the pure winner. feel free to add witty banter as you see fit.

9/19 at Duke W
9/26 vs Texas State W
10/3 vs North Carolina W
10/10 vs Pittsburgh W
10/17 at Virginia Tech L
10/24 vs Georgia Tech W
10/31 at Clemson W
11/7 at Syracuse W
11/14 vs Notre Dame L
11/27 vs Louisville W
12/5 at Virginia L

8-3

Predicting a win over Clemson? Wow, that’s bold.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:07 pm

9/19 at Duke - W
9/26 vs Texas State - W
10/3 vs North Carolina - W
10/10 vs Pittsburgh - L
10/17 at Virginia Tech - W
10/24 vs Georgia Tech - W
10/31 at Clemson - L
11/7 at Syracuse - W
11/14 vs Notre Dame - L
11/27 vs Louisville - L
12/5 at Virginia - W

7 - 4.

I'm optimistic, for the first time in a while.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:15 pm

Here is what I have seen with my own eyes with respect to Jurk. His throwing motion is a bit jerky, but he has a cannon. I watched him throw a 40 yard cross field laser—left his hand six feet off the ground and hit the receiver in the chest on the opposite side of the field—while getting smashed in the sternum. He also runs better than any QB we have had—and I include Troy Murphy in that assessment. Even in garbage time behind walk-on OLs he ripped off some very nice runs at ND when everyone knew it was a run. He will gash people behind this line. And lest anyone forget, he was also an All State basketball player. We have not seen this kind of athleticism.

As for the fact that Rees and Kelly didn’t like him, who fucking cares. Brian Kelly has ruined every QB he has had except Tommy Rees (who was basically Grosel in terms of his arm and athletic ability) and Book, who has a pea shooter arm (I love Book’s attitude and the way he makes plays with his legs, but he has a below average arm). After that there is wreckage of numerous 4 and 5 star recruits destroyed by Brian Kelly—Dayne Crist and Gunner Kiel, who were destroyed before they even got a start, Everett Golson who had a fantastic freshman year when Kelly had to downsize and simplify his idiotic playbook, but who was destroyed during his second year as a starter when he was alleged to have grasped Kelly’s concepts. Ditto DeShon Kizer in almost the exact same fashion. Ditto Brandon Wimbush and ditto Malik Zaire, who actually beat a pretty damn good LSU team with Leonard Fournette in the last start of his first year and who was abandoned and discarded three games into his next year. At a certain point, all of these kids could not have been at fault and you have to look at the purple faced asshole coaching them.

I’d also note that Chip Long loved Jurk and the two reasons Kelly fired him was because (a) Long wanted Jurk to replace Book because it gave the offense the ability to stretch the field and (b) he thought they could run the ball more because Jurk was more durable and just as effective running RPOs as Book. This offended Kelly’s delicate sensibilities and most ND insiders think Rees was selected as the new OC because he would not call into question the intelligence and efficacy of Kelly’s offensive philosophy.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:15 pm

Here is what I have seen with my own eyes with respect to Jurk. His throwing motion is a bit jerky, but he has a cannon. I watched him throw a 40 yard cross field laser—left his hand six feet off the ground and hit the receiver in the chest on the opposite side of the field—while getting smashed in the sternum. He also runs better than any QB we have had—and I include Troy Murphy in that assessment. Even in garbage time behind walk-on OLs he ripped off some very nice runs at ND when everyone knew it was a run. He will gash people behind this line. And lest anyone forget, he was also an All State basketball player. We have not seen this kind of athleticism.

As for the fact that Rees and Kelly didn’t like him, who fucking cares. Brian Kelly has ruined every QB he has had except Tommy Rees (who was basically Grosel in terms of his arm and athletic ability) and Book, who has a pea shooter arm (I love Book’s attitude and the way he makes plays with his legs, but he has a below average arm). After that there is wreckage of numerous 4 and 5 star recruits destroyed by Brian Kelly—Dayne Crist and Gunner Kiel, who were destroyed before they even got a start, Everett Golson who had a fantastic freshman year when Kelly had to downsize and simplify his idiotic playbook, but who was destroyed during his second year as a starter when he was alleged to have grasped Kelly’s concepts. Ditto DeShon Kizer in almost the exact same fashion. Ditto Brandon Wimbush and ditto Malik Zaire, who actually beat a pretty damn good LSU team with Leonard Fournette in the last start of his first year and who was abandoned and discarded three games into his next year. At a certain point, all of these kids could not have been at fault and you have to look at the purple faced asshole coaching them.

I’d also note that Chip Long loved Jurk and the two reasons Kelly fired him was because (a) Long wanted Jurk to replace Book because it gave the offense the ability to stretch the field and (b) he thought they could run the ball more because Jurk was more durable and just as effective running RPOs as Book. This offended Kelly’s delicate sensibilities and most ND insiders think Rees was selected as the new OC because he would not call into question the intelligence and efficacy of Kelly’s offensive philosophy.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 am

Jurk is going to have some real boneheaded plays as this is his first time getting extended burn. Hopefully none too crippling but there certainly is the chance he will foul up an otherwise winnable game.

On the flip, he has so much upside, the chances of shocking a higher ranked team through QB performance are at their greatest since Murphy. Legs and arm.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby durkcal on Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:52 pm

My base case is 4-7. As will be said by many others, Jurk is the source of significant upside possibilities. If he's a future NFL draft choice, we could even go 8-3. Even if injuries or COVID tear a terrible hole in the team, I don't see us going worse than 3-8 (assuming all games are played). The Pitt / Virginia Tech stretch will be key.

Have to start 2-0. Can't fathom dropping one of those two, and coming back for a reasonable season.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:10 pm

I added a poll.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:51 pm

Dick is 100% right about BK and his QB’s. He destroys every QB he coaches. His offense against good competition sucks. Don Brown completely shut ND down last season.

Jurk is the first legit ACC QB we have had in a long time. The recruiting is going very well at this position as well. This program is already light years ahead of Spazdaz years!

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:31 pm

From what I am seeing from Miami tonight, if Jurk is merely a passable D-1 QB we will be better than the Canes. UAB is hot garbage and they are running ball more than effectively.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:49 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:From what I am seeing from Miami tonight, if Jurk is merely a passable D-1 QB we will be better than the Canes. UAB is hot garbage and they are running ball more than effectively.

The U is trash. Has been for years.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:From what I am seeing from Miami tonight, if Jurk is merely a passable D-1 QB we will be better than the Canes. UAB is hot garbage and they are running ball more than effectively.

The U is trash. Has been for years.

Agreed
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:07 am

King is good, but their OL is going to get him killed and keep them from amounting to anything this year.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:30 am

9/19 at Duke W
9/26 vs Texas State W
10/3 vs North Carolina L
10/10 vs Pittsburgh L
10/17 at Virginia Tech L
10/24 vs Georgia Tech W
10/31 at Clemson L
11/7 at Syracuse W
11/14 vs Notre Dame L
11/27 vs Louisville L
12/5 at Virginia W

5-6
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:48 am

9/19 at Duke W
9/26 vs Texas State W
10/3 vs North Carolina L
10/10 vs Pittsburgh W
10/17 at Virginia Tech L
10/24 vs Georgia Tech W
10/31 at Clemson L
11/7 at Syracuse W
11/14 vs Notre Dame L
11/27 vs Louisville W
12/5 at Virginia W

I think they will upset one or more of UNC, the Ville and ND at home. If they don't 6-5. If they grab 2, 8-3. Otherwise, I think the rest of the schedule is pretty predictable. 7-4
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2014 Eagle on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:16 pm

9/19 at Duke W
9/26 vs Texas State W
10/3 vs North Carolina W
10/10 vs Pittsburgh W
10/17 at Virginia Tech L
10/24 vs Georgia Tech W
10/31 at Clemson L
11/7 at Syracuse W
11/14 vs Notre Dame L
11/27 vs Louisville L
12/5 at Virginia W
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:53 pm

9/19 at Duke W double digit
9/26 vs Texas State W blowout
10/3 vs North Carolina L blowout
10/10 vs Pittsburgh L close
10/17 at Virginia Tech L close
10/24 vs Georgia Tech W
10/31 at Clemson L blowout
11/7 at Syracuse W close
11/14 vs Notre Dame L blowout
11/27 vs Louisville L double digit
12/5 at Virginia L close
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:12 am

This is a real difficult year to predict. The difference between a 3 win season and a 6 or 7 win season is, I think, really small, and shrouded in mystery.
My impression is that our offense may be underrated by the pundits, while the defense may be in for a long year.
So the key to wins may be ability to dominate time of possession on offense, with a good run/pass mix, and keep the other guys offense on the sidelines.
The OL looks like a strength, and if Jurk comes as advertised, he and Bailey should keep the chains moving.
I have little faith in DL and secondary, but this is where our new coach could make a difference, but I'm not sure he has the right personnel yet.
I'll waffle, and say they win 5 games: Texas St., Syracuse, NC St., GT and another squeaker somewhere else.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 am

9/19 at Duke L
9/26 vs Texas State W
10/3 vs North Carolina L
10/10 vs Pittsburgh W
10/17 at Virginia Tech W
10/24 vs Georgia Tech W
10/31 at Clemson L
11/7 at Syracuse W
11/14 vs Notre Dame L
11/27 vs Louisville L
12/5 at Virginia W

I still don't think the season will run to conclusion. But if it does, they'll be better than the "experts" think. Home/away won't matter much with limited fan attendance.

Really interesting about the O-Line position switches. I agree with the thought it's related to changes in the offensive scheme, and leveraging O-Linemen accordingly.

I think they'll drop the Duke game b/c it's the opener. The L's against ND & Louisville are based on their perceived strength now. If Jurkovec is really good enough to fuel a high-scoring offense such that we mask our defensive issues, BC could get to 8 or 9 wins.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Here is what I have seen with my own eyes with respect to Jurk. His throwing motion is a bit jerky, but he has a cannon. I watched him throw a 40 yard cross field laser—left his hand six feet off the ground and hit the receiver in the chest on the opposite side of the field—while getting smashed in the sternum. He also runs better than any QB we have had—and I include Troy Murphy in that assessment. Even in garbage time behind walk-on OLs he ripped off some very nice runs at ND when everyone knew it was a run. He will gash people behind this line. And lest anyone forget, he was also an All State basketball player. We have not seen this kind of athleticism.

FWIW Chip Long's at Tennessee now as an (off-field) offensive quality control analyst.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium