Marty

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Marty

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Why is anyone over the age of 30 still a member of the AC? The AC is a way station, a place you join on the relative cheap while attending the FLS diploma mill if you are too donkey Irish to get into the U Club. But the idea that one would still be there when you have procured enough cash to join an honest to goodness country club is beyond ridiculous. The AC is for children and irredeemable alcoholics.

You would have a more intimate view of the current membership since your cousin (iona prep graduate) works for the NYAC. :ace

Wait. Back that up for a moment. As you well know, one of the more shameful aspects of my extended donkey Irish family is the number of Iona Prep grads. Which particular cousin is an employee at the AC. I take it that it was the once promising hoopster turned tennis pro. The other two or three do not seem to have skill sets that would lend themselves to working at the AC—and seemed to be above that station in life at this point. The tennis pro also makes sense as his brother-in-law is your former classmate at Parkchester Prep and apparently a member at the AC. I believe the tennis pro also resides in New Rochelle and would thus be a prime candidate for employment at that pathetic island facility that always gave the Hollow tennis team a good chuckle when we steamrolled the AC in MITL matches. I believe my butler’s pool boy’s gardener used to play there.

Fordham Prep should thank your family for it was a certain IP alum converted FP father, member of the Hollow that influenced one of the best golfers to come out of the northeast in a generation to grace the halls of the Prep and I believe win 4 city titles in golf.

The brother-in-law and my fellow FLS/parkchester prep alum (not classmate) only has spousal privileges. His wife, your cousin, is now and has forever been the "member". I crashed a first birthday party for your first cousin once removed at the city house back when NYC was still a thing in February. Your uncle is found on the lawn of Travers Island most weekends. :ace

And a special thank you on my part to your cousin for endorsing my membership application 10 years ago. Of course, Mrs. Murt and I have moved on after they did almost irreperable damage to our butler's boat by not turning the battery on when they put it in the water, thus resulting in the bilge not pumping and the enging compartment filling with salt water. When confronted, their response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Mrs. Murt also did not like the flower arrangements on the pool deck, particularly the ones that were just herb gradens which I can't be sure they weren't just plucking basil from the flower boxes and using that in their dinners.

I have heard they renovated and updated the Tiki Bar which was in desperate need of an upgrade, though generally speaking on the weekends that thing is crawling with Ginzos from New Rochelle (I can say that because I married a Ginzo) and kids from grammar school I hated who are children of members pretending they are WASPy when at best they are just a half step up from lace curtain Irish but only because they went to Miami OH or Holy Cross and not Manhattan or Fordham.

Four things:

1. I am surprised that Logi was not beaten and tossed out of the Christening after his "unfortunate" relationship with yet another of my cousins. I am fairly certain I could have collected a not unsubstantial bounty had I maimed you in the aftermath of that meltdown.

2. I doubt that the IP alum turned FP parent would even concede to having attended IP at this point. IP seems to be the school of choice for my various relations who resided in Yonkers during their high school years (with one or two exceptions who got into Regis). Despite some nostalgia for the City of Gracious Living, I think if you asked the IP alum, "in his mind, he was always at FP". Of course, I sometimes also think that he might feel the same way about our respective alma mater vis a vis Holy Cross.

3. I wish things were going better for the FP golfer. He is a nice kid, but Skip informs me that the general consensus amongst the golf cognoscenti at The Hollow is that he is unlikely to make it on the PGA Tour. I am told he was leading the Q School tournament for the MacKenzie Tour (the Canadian PGA), but the final round was cancelled and the tour has been shut down ever since. The general consensus, such as it is, is he will likely make the Web.com tour at some point and might be able to hang around the fringes of the PGA Tour if everything goes well. Don't know what that assessment is based on, but it is what it is. There is apparently some other junior phenom there now who is allegedly better than the FP kid was at the same age, but I have not seen him play.

4. Murt, you deserved what you got, putting on airs and taking your boat to Travers Island. The Yonkers Yacht Club is a far superior alternative and is where you and your boat belong. If you really want to get into the Long Island Sound, take your boat down the majestic Hudson, into the Harlem River and out through Hell's Gate like decent people do.

I tell the people at our new club that I grew up in Bronxville and went to Prep school in the Bronx. They assume I mean Fieldston or Riverdale and so we don't need to discuss anything uncomfortable and I can conceal my Yonkers donkey roots.

FP strives to be Regis Monday to Friday and Iona on Saturday. IP has essentially stopped pretending to care about academics and more or less offers athletic scholarships by telling the athletically gifted kids some rich alum will pay their way. They also stopped requiring the COOP for kids coming from Iona Grammar since a whole generation of that school from the 90s and 00s jumped ship for FP. What's funny is, except for football, FP usually beats IP in every other sport. These day IP is more or less people from Toughchester afraid to send their kids to the Bronx and slightly above average athletes who will get Division 1 scholarships to Buffalo.

You could probably still collect on that bounty.

So you are passing as an RCD or Fieldston grad? Are you also telling everyone your name is Murtstein, Murtberg or Murtenthal? If you belong to Century or Quaker Ridge, these are acceptable adaptations, but I don't see you pulling it off in the long term. I thought FP was only good at white kid sports? Are they also good at basketball and if so, are they playing the city game or some sort of Bronxville/Scarsdale meets the Wisconsin Badgers type of slow-footed rock fight style?

It is interesting to hear that IP is morphing into Stepinac. I wish I still lived in Toughchester to enjoy the spectacle.

I always thought that Wisconsin was awesome at college basketball. They are particularly good late in the season, slow footed rock style is just fine. I suppose its easier to win 22+ regular season games a year, add at least two more wins in the B1GT(14)N tourney, and advance to the semi-finals each March/April (usually at the expense of at least one higher ceeded team) when you always have at least two, 22 year old, 7 foot senior forwards on your team defending the hoop from the 19 year old whipper-snapper "one-and-done."
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:40 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Why is anyone over the age of 30 still a member of the AC? The AC is a way station, a place you join on the relative cheap while attending the FLS diploma mill if you are too donkey Irish to get into the U Club. But the idea that one would still be there when you have procured enough cash to join an honest to goodness country club is beyond ridiculous. The AC is for children and irredeemable alcoholics.

You would have a more intimate view of the current membership since your cousin (iona prep graduate) works for the NYAC. :ace

Wait. Back that up for a moment. As you well know, one of the more shameful aspects of my extended donkey Irish family is the number of Iona Prep grads. Which particular cousin is an employee at the AC. I take it that it was the once promising hoopster turned tennis pro. The other two or three do not seem to have skill sets that would lend themselves to working at the AC—and seemed to be above that station in life at this point. The tennis pro also makes sense as his brother-in-law is your former classmate at Parkchester Prep and apparently a member at the AC. I believe the tennis pro also resides in New Rochelle and would thus be a prime candidate for employment at that pathetic island facility that always gave the Hollow tennis team a good chuckle when we steamrolled the AC in MITL matches. I believe my butler’s pool boy’s gardener used to play there.

Fordham Prep should thank your family for it was a certain IP alum converted FP father, member of the Hollow that influenced one of the best golfers to come out of the northeast in a generation to grace the halls of the Prep and I believe win 4 city titles in golf.

The brother-in-law and my fellow FLS/parkchester prep alum (not classmate) only has spousal privileges. His wife, your cousin, is now and has forever been the "member". I crashed a first birthday party for your first cousin once removed at the city house back when NYC was still a thing in February. Your uncle is found on the lawn of Travers Island most weekends. :ace

And a special thank you on my part to your cousin for endorsing my membership application 10 years ago. Of course, Mrs. Murt and I have moved on after they did almost irreperable damage to our butler's boat by not turning the battery on when they put it in the water, thus resulting in the bilge not pumping and the enging compartment filling with salt water. When confronted, their response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Mrs. Murt also did not like the flower arrangements on the pool deck, particularly the ones that were just herb gradens which I can't be sure they weren't just plucking basil from the flower boxes and using that in their dinners.

I have heard they renovated and updated the Tiki Bar which was in desperate need of an upgrade, though generally speaking on the weekends that thing is crawling with Ginzos from New Rochelle (I can say that because I married a Ginzo) and kids from grammar school I hated who are children of members pretending they are WASPy when at best they are just a half step up from lace curtain Irish but only because they went to Miami OH or Holy Cross and not Manhattan or Fordham.

Four things:

1. I am surprised that Logi was not beaten and tossed out of the Christening after his "unfortunate" relationship with yet another of my cousins. I am fairly certain I could have collected a not unsubstantial bounty had I maimed you in the aftermath of that meltdown.

2. I doubt that the IP alum turned FP parent would even concede to having attended IP at this point. IP seems to be the school of choice for my various relations who resided in Yonkers during their high school years (with one or two exceptions who got into Regis). Despite some nostalgia for the City of Gracious Living, I think if you asked the IP alum, "in his mind, he was always at FP". Of course, I sometimes also think that he might feel the same way about our respective alma mater vis a vis Holy Cross.

3. I wish things were going better for the FP golfer. He is a nice kid, but Skip informs me that the general consensus amongst the golf cognoscenti at The Hollow is that he is unlikely to make it on the PGA Tour. I am told he was leading the Q School tournament for the MacKenzie Tour (the Canadian PGA), but the final round was cancelled and the tour has been shut down ever since. The general consensus, such as it is, is he will likely make the Web.com tour at some point and might be able to hang around the fringes of the PGA Tour if everything goes well. Don't know what that assessment is based on, but it is what it is. There is apparently some other junior phenom there now who is allegedly better than the FP kid was at the same age, but I have not seen him play.

4. Murt, you deserved what you got, putting on airs and taking your boat to Travers Island. The Yonkers Yacht Club is a far superior alternative and is where you and your boat belong. If you really want to get into the Long Island Sound, take your boat down the majestic Hudson, into the Harlem River and out through Hell's Gate like decent people do.

I tell the people at our new club that I grew up in Bronxville and went to Prep school in the Bronx. They assume I mean Fieldston or Riverdale and so we don't need to discuss anything uncomfortable and I can conceal my Yonkers donkey roots.

FP strives to be Regis Monday to Friday and Iona on Saturday. IP has essentially stopped pretending to care about academics and more or less offers athletic scholarships by telling the athletically gifted kids some rich alum will pay their way. They also stopped requiring the COOP for kids coming from Iona Grammar since a whole generation of that school from the 90s and 00s jumped ship for FP. What's funny is, except for football, FP usually beats IP in every other sport. These day IP is more or less people from Toughchester afraid to send their kids to the Bronx and slightly above average athletes who will get Division 1 scholarships to Buffalo.

You could probably still collect on that bounty.

My replacement being arrested for domestic violence for beating up said cousin showed in fact somebody could be worse than Chris Crane.

To my knowledge angry/dick's family took no action on him so I am confident there is no bounty to still collect on me. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:24 am

Had no idea about the subsequent beau. It is really hard to keep track of the life outcomes of my 50+ cousins, dispersed as they are across the country. With that said, my cousin the golf pro, who has matured quite nicely and is married to a solid, upstanding Naval officer, still dislikes you intensely and I suspect might have some cash on hand for a Logi elimination program. So there is that. Of course, if I told her that you had relocated to Strong Island, she might consider that a fate worse than death and relent.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:06 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Had no idea about the subsequent beau. It is really hard to keep track of the life outcomes of my 50+ cousins, dispersed as they are across the country. With that said, my cousin the golf pro, who has matured quite nicely and is married to a solid, upstanding Naval officer, still dislikes you intensely and I suspect might have some cash on hand for a Logi elimination program. So there is that. Of course, if I told her that you had relocated to Strong Island, she might consider that a fate worse than death and relent.

If the failed golfer is able to articulate why she is so angry with me and I find it to be a reasonable explanation I will :suicide :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:28 am

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conference

It would be funny if the PAC12’s response was a demand for the signatories to the letter pay tuition like every other student.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29583023/pac-12-football-players-show-unity-list-demands-letter-conference

It would be funny if the PAC12’s response was a demand for the signatories to the letter pay tuition like every other student.

Hopefully the PAC-12 tells them to go kick rocks.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:29 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29583023/pac-12-football-players-show-unity-list-demands-letter-conference

Hopefully the PAC-12 tells them to go kick rocks.

I am sure they will.

If there is even to BE a Pac-12 season this year, ASU's first game will be late September. The Pac-12 made that decision because Arizona is such a Covid-19 hot spot. The thinking is delay the Arizona schools as much as possible and hope that after almost 2 full months, the worst of it will be past. AND the first game for our Sun Devils of Tempe is ASU vs U-of-A (which is usually their last game.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Wildcats forever, Scum Devils never. The Hoe Down Show Down—fuck The Desert Duel or whatever bullshit it is called now—should only be played the Friday night after Thanksgiving or it should not be played. September is for Stanford, dragging someone like Oklahoma or Nebraska out to the desert to see how they like 110 degrees of “dry heat”, pounding the shit out of NAU and pantsing New Mexico for the Kit Carson Rifle.

Also, just kill all the signatories of the letter. The conference is a joke right now anyway. Blow it up and start again—it’s not like any of the teams are making the CFP.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Wildcats forever, Scum Devils never. The Hoe Down Show Down—fuck The Desert Duel or whatever bullshit it is called now—should only be played the Friday night after Thanksgiving or it should not be played. September is for Stanford, dragging someone like Oklahoma or Nebraska out to the desert to see how they like 110 degrees of “dry heat”, pounding the shit out of NAU and pantsing New Mexico for the Kit Carson Rifle.

Also, just kill all the signatories of the letter. The conference is a joke right now anyway. Blow it up and start again—it’s not like any of the teams are making the CFP.

We've struggled (nationally) a bit here in Pac-12 hell. Our recruiting is down a bit and our usual powerhouses (USC and Oregon) are having a hard time getting past 10-3. So yeah when that happens a team like Utah can play in the Pac-12 championship (the way they did last year), but you never know.

Its actually very dangerous to play games in Tempe or Tucson in September. I think its a better policy for everyone involved if the ASU or U-of-A game that is being played in Arizona is the LAST GAME OF THE NIGHT IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY in September, kick off at like 8PM Pacific. That is better for the fans and much safer for all the players. They don't always do that, but they should. Its hit 115 degrees multiple times this week. Dick, it is oppressively hot here right now.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:55 am

WSU started clearing out lockers of players involved. Good for them. All the kids will remain on scholarship but I think having people sitting out but just hanging out makes a huge distraction for the team.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:WSU started clearing out lockers of players involved. Good for them. All the kids will remain on scholarship but I think having people sitting out but just hanging out makes a huge distraction for the team.

The 50/50 revenue split is insane. With that said, these guys should get paid something (should be evenly paid across all schools and all sports). The rest of these demands don't seem ridiculous to me. If I was going to play football in the COVID-19 era, I'd like some assurance it'll be done safely and I'll have health coverage if there are long-term effects from it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 am

the system is going to come crumbling down which is long overdue and the ncaa only has themselves to blame
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:the system is going to come crumbling down which is long overdue and the ncaa only has themselves to blame

Yes claver, absolutely, the system is crumbling down. And sure, it is overdue. But there is at least one other guilty party here other than the NCAA. I think it is partially the NCAA and partially (mostly) government regulation.

Title-IX forced (and continues to force) universities and the NCAA to "maximize" the dollar generation from the revenue generating sports to subsidize all the athletic scholarships for the girls sports (which bring in NO MONEY.) Obviously, a feminist centric federal legislature made up of numb fucks totally ignorant of math, business, sports, and economics (like AOC, Nany Pelosi, and Rashid Talib) don't give a damn that girl's college sports make no money for the school. They just want to make sure that the asinine existing 1972 legislation (equalizing athletic scholarships for men and girls) remain intact. It wont be overturned.

Okay so if there is no college football and no men's basketball, that is pretty much it for college sports. Universities would just be hemorrhaging money giving out all these scholarships for student athletes and seeing nothing in return. I suppose if the alumni at every university thought they way that the Harvard Alumni did (just donate to the endowment, blindly) you might be able to justify loss leaders with some sports. But that is not standard-operating-procedure at schools like Ohio State. You want $100 mil in donations each year, beat Michigan (in football! Fuck women's water polo.)

If they are not going to have football or men's hoop, likely the only sensible thing to do is to start winding down college scholarship sports (for men and women.) Title-IX means everything is equalized? Okay, all suffer equally. Sorry girls, call dad and have him send a check OR pack your things, no more rowing scholarship for you.

I don't know if this season will be played. I don't know. But I do know that the NCAA and about 130 universities are depending on it being played. They need those big TV bucks. And that will only happen if there is a season. And men's basketball? We can't lose another March Madness the way we did last year.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:50 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Wildcats forever, Scum Devils never. The Hoe Down Show Down—fuck The Desert Duel or whatever bullshit it is called now—should only be played the Friday night after Thanksgiving or it should not be played. September is for Stanford, dragging someone like Oklahoma or Nebraska out to the desert to see how they like 110 degrees of “dry heat”, pounding the shit out of NAU and pantsing New Mexico for the Kit Carson Rifle.

Uh yeah, that is the whole point. At U of A, the players used to spend three weeks at Camp Cochise, up in the mountains above a mile high where the temperature is only 100 degrees. By the time they get back to Tucson for the start of school a week before the opening game the heat is an ally and if you look at when Dick Tomey was the coach there was a graveyard of top ten teams that played September games in Tucson where they got abused. I am sure ASU utilized a similar system, but they are also really fucking stupid so maybe it never occurred to them.

The PAC-10 knew this was so which is why you'd never see USC, UCLA or Washington playing a day game in Tucson in September--got to protect your royalty (Oregon was not a thing in that era), hence my comment that September is for Stanford (although for that era you could have said Oregon, Cal, Oregon State or Wazoo as well).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Uh yeah, that is the whole point. At U of A, the players used to spend three weeks at Camp Cochise, up in the mountains above a mile high where the temperature is only 100 degrees. By the time they get back to Tucson for the start of school a week before the opening game the heat is an ally and if you look at when Dick Tomey was the coach there was a graveyard of top ten teams that played September games in Tucson where they got abused. I am sure ASU utilized a similar system, but they are also really fucking stupid so maybe it never occurred to them.

The PAC-10 knew this was so which is why you'd never see USC, UCLA or Washington playing a day game in Tucson in September--got to protect your royalty (Oregon was not a thing in that era), hence my comment that September is for Stanford (although for that era you could have said Oregon, Cal, Oregon State or Wazoo as well).

I went to a night game in Tuscon about 5 years ago in September and it was still oppressively hot. How people tailgate in that heat and sun is beyond me.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I went to a night game in Tuscon about 5 years ago in September and it was still oppressively hot. How people tailgate in that heat and sun is beyond me.

:x

And yet I never got a PM.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:29 am

ucla suing under armor for $200m for breach of contract

:popcorn

@PeteThamel
Breaking: UCLA is suing Under Armour for breach of contract, filed today in District Court in California. "The amount in controversy exceeds $200,000,000," the document reads. UA announced in June it was ending their partnership with UCLA.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:19 am

more lawsuits involving our departed AD:

https://www.bcheights.com/2021/10/12/fo ... retapping/

Former Boston College women’s soccer coach Alison Foley is suing the University for gender discrimination and improper wiretapping after allegedly being forced to resign in 2018 following her record-setting 22 seasons. In the lawsuit, which was filed in November 2020, Foley alleges that she was dismissed from BC “for advocating on behalf of herself and her female student athletes to be treated fairly and equitably.”

In the suit, Foley alleges that BC held her to a different standard than it held male coaches, specifically concerning her contract status and the way that athletics department members dealt with complaints about her leadership style from student-athletes.

Foley’s lawsuit alleges that the University broke the first and fourth clause of Massachusetts General Laws, Title XXI, Chapter 151B, Section 4 by insisting on single-year contracts and forcing her dismissal. The two clauses protect workers from being discriminated against as a result of their membership in a variety of demographic groups, including gender, and ban employers from threatening or firing workers for lodging a complaint in response to discrimination.

Though her removal from the University was publicly called a resignation, Foley alleges in the suit how then-athletics director Martin Jarmond and University Vice President for Human Resources David Trainor called her into a meeting on Dec. 10, just over a month after the conclusion of the 2018 season, and gave her the choice of resigning or being fired because the “whole team” had complained about her leadership.

Trainor allegedly told Foley that he had a file on her relating to concerns around her team culture and referenced two specific events: a report that she had “pitted two players against each other” during practice and that she had sounded drunk during a phone call with a student-athlete.

Foley alleges that Trainor did not offer any more details about the forced competition between the two student-athletes at practice.

The student-athlete who made the phone call, Kayla Jennings, played at BC from 2016 to 2019 and allegedly called Foley after getting out of an evening class on campus while Foley was at home. Foley says in the lawsuit that it is possible she had a glass of wine on the night in question, but she denies wholeheartedly that she was drunk.

Jennings recorded the call, unbeknownst to Foley, and provided it to Jarmond who reviewed it along with Trainor and then-senior associate athletics director and senior woman administrator Jocelyn Gates, prior to the decision to terminate Foley, according to the lawsuit. The wilful use of a recording taken without the consent of the other party is considered a crime in Massachusetts.

Thomas Newkirk, one of Foley’s attorneys, told The Heights that Jennings is not a defendant in the case because there is “no point” in suing a student-athlete. He also spoke to Foley’s coaching style, and said that nothing significant happened on the call.

“Nothing transpired,” Newkirk said. “Coach Foley … [has] always exhibited behavior at all times that was not just meeting the basic standards of what you would expect of a coach in college but exceeding that. And everybody knows this.”

Jennings did not respond to repeated requests for comment, and Gates declined a request for comment.

Senior Associate Athletics Director for Communications Jason Baum said that the University could not comment on the matter, as the lawsuit is still ongoing.

Foley also denies that she had ever been informed prior to the Dec. 10 meeting that there were concerns about her drinking. In the lawsuit, she counters that male head coaches frequently drank much more than she did. She specifically mentions then-head men’s soccer coach Ed Kelly, who she alleges drank on team flights.

Kelly did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Foley alleges that she was not allowed to defend herself at the meeting, and was told by Trainor that “the decision was made” to fire her and gave her the option to resign or be fired. Trainor allegedly said that if Foley “wanted to go after them, BC would make it real ugly for her” and that she “would never get another job again in coaching.”

Foley coaching a women's soccer game while still at Boston College.
Foley alleges that the Dec. 10 meeting was the culmination of a number of conflicts with the athletics department. After a series of single-year contracts, Foley requested a multi-year contract in 2015, along with a pay raise, as she says she was the only soccer coach in the ACC not on a multi-year deal, according to the lawsuit.

Foley alleges that then-athletics director Brad Bates told her that he supported the request in 2015, but Trainor resisted the move and reportedly only agreed once Foley obtained an attorney and brought concerns that she was not being treated equally as a result of her gender.

Bates did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

That contract expired in June of 2018, and Foley was not renewed to a new multi-year deal, but instead returned to a single-year deal, according to the lawsuit. When Foley and Jarmond first met in the summer of 2018, he told her that she needed to win in 2018 or their “post season meeting was going to be very different,” Foley alleges.

Foley defended herself, crediting the positive team culture that she created during her tenure. Jarmond allegedly responded with hostility.

“I don’t give a fuck about your culture … how do you think I feel being the only ACC AD without a championship?” Jarmond allegedly responded, according to the lawsuit.

Jarmond did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Multiple of Foley’s former players also did not respond to requests for comment.

In the 2018 meeting, Jarmond allegedly outlined four requirements for the upcoming season: Foley’s team had to finish in the top half of the ACC, reach the ACC and NCAA Tournaments, and raise $25,000 for the newly built soccer locker room, according to the lawsuit.

BC vastly outperformed preseason projections and broke into the top 10 nationally. Jarmond allegedly told Foley in November that she was doing a great job and that next season would be even better.

The program ultimately met and exceeded all of Jarmond’s requirements during the 2018 season, finishing fourth in the ACC, earning a spot in both postseason tournaments, and even raising $125,000 for the locker room, $100,000 more than Jarmond had allegedly outlined, according to the lawsuit.

“The expectations were placed on her in a way that would never be placed on any coach in the entire college, but she still actually beat them,” Newkirk said. “But it was still, you know, it actually still wasn’t enough for them to keep her.”

Newkirk said that Foley and her legal team have reached out to multiple BC administrators to address this pattern of gender discrimination in the past, but were disappointed with the responses.

“The response was either silence or lack of interest in engaging in any kind of efforts to provide remedies or changes to their processes that would prevent this from happening in the future or that might allow Coach Foley to return to her job,” Newkirk said.

Newkirk said that the case has now entered into the discovery phase.

Though Newkirk did not specify a monetary amount, Foley seeks damages that will fully compensate her for the harm that her untimely dismissal caused to her emotional wellbeing and career, according to the lawsuit.

Newkirk said that Foley is one of 150 female coaches that he and his firm have identified in the United States who have been terminated because of concern about the coach “just doing her job.”

“It’s students misinterpreting the normal behavior of a female coach and labeling it as something wrong,” Newkirk said.

Newkirk’s firm has litigated similar cases in the past, he said. In one of these cases in 2017, the University of Iowa paid a former field hockey coach and former assistant athletic director $6.5 million in settlements. In 2018, Rutgers University paid a former swimming coach $725,000 in settlements.

Newkirk said that Foley had multiple opportunities to leave BC and take other college coaching gigs, sometimes for nearly double the salary, but chose to stay at BC as she was committed to the program and hoped that her daughter would be able to be an Eagle.

“This woman poured her heart and soul into this University and gave up many financial opportunities because of her belief and loyalty to this University and the hope that her daughter could attend there,” he said.

When Foley, the winningest head coach in program history, announced that she was resigning from her post following the 2018 season, the sudden move was met with widespread surprise from the BC community. Foley had just led the Eagles to a fourth-place conference finish, despite being picked 10th in preseason projections, and the NCAA Tournament.

At the time of her removal from the department, Foley said that she left BC to pursue new opportunities. Jarmond publicly praised Foley upon her resignation.

“Women’s soccer is a sport where we compete annually for championships, and that is a credit to Alison, her staff, and the talented student-athletes to come through the program,” Jarmond told bceagles.com at the time.

Since Foley’s departure, BC has won just two ACC games over nearly three full seasons with Jason Lowe as head coach, and Foley cites her dismissal as a compounding factor in the program’s dip in success. Foley also notes that, as of the filing date, 11 student-athletes had left the team or transferred under Lowe.

Newkirk said that this suit is about more than Foley’s singular experience with gender discrimination at BC.

“This case is about the double standards placed on female coaches in college athletics that [are] undermining them and destroying them every single day,” Newkirk said.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 am

i'm interested in ib's or I B's take on this story

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:29 am

but certainly not interested in the qorporal's
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:43 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:but certainly not interested in the qorporal's

trumpishment doesn't hate women and this article doesn't mention vaccines as a reason for firing, so i don't think he'll care about this issue/article
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:49 am

I don't think this actually goes to court given the bad PR for the university and especially the university's past track record with Title IX. I'm guessing it settles? Not a lawyer so I'm sure someone will have a better idea.

Also, MJ is the absolute worst. He's the real ELR.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:40 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm interested in ib's or I B's take on this story

i got nothing

I'm sure "space" will have something
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:56 pm

BC really doesn't like to settle. They usually payout well at termination to avoid future suits. I don't know if Foley deserved to be fired, but the player complaints is a winning hand for BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Also, this has been out there a while and pitched to various media outlets. It is sort of telling that the Heights is the only one to touch it.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I don't think this actually goes to court given the bad PR for the university and especially the university's past track record with Title IX. I'm guessing it settles? Not a lawyer so I'm sure someone will have a better idea.

Her replacement is a POC.
What is our past track record with Title IX?
ELR?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:44 pm

empty laminated resume - like the one tobias used to send out every time there was a job opening. i think hcrd eventually garnered the title as well, but he's actually arrived at a powerhouse now so it's difficult to call it empty any longer
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:30 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Also, this has been out there a while and pitched to various media outlets. It is sort of telling that the Heights is the only one to touch it.

Appears to be picking up steam... a couple UCLA bruins sites are now reporting about it as well.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:39 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:BC really doesn't like to settle. They usually payout well at termination to avoid future suits. I don't know if Foley deserved to be fired, but the player complaints is a winning hand for BC.

How would she deserve to be fired? At the time, she was the winningest coach at BC not named Jerry York. She exceeded all her performance goals and the player complaints were minimal.

MJ encouraging Kayla Jennings to illegally record a conversation with Foley is a special kind of stupid. Good riddance to that incompetent fuckhead. Never seen a jackass get more credit for doing absolutely nothing than that guy.
Last edited by hansen on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:52 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I don't think this actually goes to court given the bad PR for the university and especially the university's past track record with Title IX. I'm guessing it settles? Not a lawyer so I'm sure someone will have a better idea.

Her replacement is a POC.
What is our past track record with Title IX?
ELR?

The Athletic Department's non-compliance with Title IX in the late 80s / early 90s that led to wrestling and men's lax programs getting eliminated, men's scholarships getting reduced, and women's scholarships greatly increasing along with participation numbers.

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium