2020 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Another year of BC football, another year of being dissed by magazine publications. I was wandering around the Walmart yesterday and I made my way over to the magazine rack. All three annual college football publications were there. So I picked each one up and paged directly to the BC section. It was basically the same story with each magazine: BC (even with 15 returning starters) is ranked 14th out of 14 teams in the ACC, for more than a decade mediocrity was tolerated with recruiting, and Jeff Hafley has a lot of work to do. One of them even ranked BC as low as 92 out of (what?) 126 FBS teams in the country.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BC potentially is going to have the worst QB play and defense in the entire conference along with removing AJ Dillon and a new coach. I'd be pretty pleased if Halfey can get to .500 or better.

I am not expecting much of Hafley. I expected the WORLD of Jeff Jagodzinski in his first season (I waged $210 on BC to win the national championship in 2007 in June of that year) and I expect NOTHING of Hafley in his first year. And my expectations are predicated entirely upon what the coach has to work with. Having said that, I don't want to hear a word from anyone on this board about how much better Addazio's recruiting was compared to :spaz or compared to anyone for that matter. Addazio was not fired for what he did or didn't do on 12 Saturdays. He was fired for what he didn't do the other 353 days in the year.

Daz has the number one recruiting class in the Mountain West or whatever the hell conference CSU is in.
How did he suddenly become such a good recruiter?

He was always a good recruiter. He's a terrible coach.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

No way!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:14 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Another year of BC football, another year of being dissed by magazine publications. I was wandering around the Walmart yesterday and I made my way over to the magazine rack. All three annual college football publications were there. So I picked each one up and paged directly to the BC section. It was basically the same story with each magazine: BC (even with 15 returning starters) is ranked 14th out of 14 teams in the ACC, for more than a decade mediocrity was tolerated with recruiting, and Jeff Hafley has a lot of work to do. One of them even ranked BC as low as 92 out of (what?) 126 FBS teams in the country.

BC potentially is going to have the worst QB play and defense in the entire conference along with removing AJ Dillon and a new coach. I'd be pretty pleased if Halfey can get to .500 or better.

I am not expecting much of Hafley. I expected the WORLD of Jeff Jagodzinski in his first season (I waged $210 on BC to win the national championship in 2007 in June of that year) and I expect NOTHING of Hafley in his first year. And my expectations are predicated entirely upon what the coach has to work with. Having said that, I don't want to hear a word from anyone on this board about how much better Addazio's recruiting was compared to :spaz or compared to anyone for that matter. Addazio was not fired for what he did or didn't do on 12 Saturdays. He was fired for what he didn't do the other 353 days in the year.

Daz has the number one recruiting class in the Mountain West or whatever the hell conference CSU is in.
How did he suddenly become such a good recruiter?

He was always a good recruiter. He's a terrible coach.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

I never thought otherwise.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Daz got fired exactly due to what he did on 12 Saturday’s. He was an embarrassing in game coach

:toby was an embarrassing in game coach

:spaz2 was an embarrassing in game coach. :spaz2 was so bad, that the administration had to cover for him in his press briefings with the media to make sure he was never asked a challenging question. Respect his privacy.

Addazio (occasionally) made the adjustments at half-time. Addazio played the best players he had (regardless of their seniority) and put them in the positions that best benefitted the team to win. Addazio gave these increasingly mediocre players every possible opportunity each Saturday. He didn't make any decisions to intentionally undermine their potential to win. The team almost beat an unbeatable Clemson team in 2014 because of the decisions Addazio made.

In the press conferences the media asked tough questions of meat head. He didn't always have a good answer (often times he didn't) but he was able to communicate his "logic" on in-game decisions that he made when the team lost a close game (a game they were likely never going to win in the first place.) There was some level of intelligence that the coach exhibited on game day.

Addazio's high water mark at Boston College was being a head coach for players he never recruited OR bringing in 5th year seniors from other teams to fill gaping holes left by his predecessor. No one was demanding Addazio be fired at the end of the 2013 or even the 2014 seasons. Addazio was not fired for what he did (or didn't do) during the games. He was fired because he couldn't SELL BC to even one blue chip high school athlete.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:26 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:The players will return to campus June 22.

well todays the day i imagine we'll get some numbers leaked within the next 48 hours
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:48 pm

move in day, they're going to be quarantining for a week before testing and then if negative working out (seems common)

was reading up on kstate shutting the football workouts down again. apparently a couple of players went to a party, got it there and it spread through the team that way.

this is going to be some miracle if they pull this season off
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Image

move in day, they're going to be quarantining for a week before testing and then if negative working out (seems common)

was reading up on kstate shutting the football workouts down again. apparently a couple of players went to a party, got it there and it spread through the team that way.

iwnh
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:27 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:

iwnh

fuck off with the negativity
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:38 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

iwnh

it's called being realistic. do you honestly think a full season will be played this year?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:39 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

iwnh

it's called being realistic. do you honestly think a full season will be played this year?

eagle33, maybe not a full season, maybe just conference games?

Get in
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:41 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

iwnh

Yes, colleges depend on that revenue. At the end of the day, money drives everything.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:12 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:17 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

iwnh

Yes, colleges depend on that revenue. At the end of the day, money drives everything.

one of us is not being realistic.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:50 pm

The fundamental problem is that most parties involved across sports in America are acting as though the coronavirus is a deadly disease to which any exposure is unacceptable - which is probably true for people above 70 (80?) but is simply not true for the majority of athletes, coaches, or fans.

Instead of putting everyone in quarantine for a week, Hafley should lock them all in a room and have them cough all over each other. Everyone gets it, the majority suffer no ill consequence, a few get sick and miss some time, and thereafter the team has immunity and proceeds normally. 0% chance it happens but in 10 years we'll probably agree it would have been smarter than whatever it is that is being done now.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:The fundamental problem is that most parties involved across sports in America are acting as though the coronavirus is a deadly disease to which any exposure is unacceptable - which is probably true for people above 70 (80?) but is simply not true for the majority of athletes, coaches, or fans.

Instead of putting everyone in quarantine for a week, Hafley should lock them all in a room and have them cough all over each other. Everyone gets it, the majority suffer no ill consequence, a few get sick and miss some time, and thereafter the team has immunity and proceeds normally. 0% chance it happens but in 10 years we'll probably agree it would have been smarter than whatever it is that is being done now.

The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:10 pm

What an adorable take.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Herd immunity for for people under 40 might have positive benefits decades from now. Who knows what virus China will attack us with next. Older people have to stay home and wait for a vaccine. It sucks for them, but getting the Kung Flu could kill or severely disable them. Everyone should wear a mask in public.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:38 am

Ok I'll try this once.

1. You're not immune to serious hospitalization or death between the ages of 18-22 (obviously less likely than if you're 80).
2. There's no evidence to suggest you can't catch it again or that you have any long lasting immunity against it (yet).
3. If the players are infected, they're likely to infect the coaches and support staff some of which are in the high-risk demographic. You also have all the general support staff (and eventually professors) at BC.
4. This entire thing is about trying to avoid overwhelming the hospitals/medical care system.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:41 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:The fundamental problem is that most parties involved across sports in America are acting as though the coronavirus is a deadly disease to which any exposure is unacceptable - which is probably true for people above 70 (80?) but is simply not true for the majority of athletes, coaches, or fans.

The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin.

This is going in my signature

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:52 am

Guys this is ridiculous. No one wants the players to get sick. They are going to do everything they can to prevent that from happening. But they are also going to try to do whatever they must do to get the season played. The NCAA hasn't called off the season yet. Schools are getting very inventive here. Quarantining the whole team (with the coaches even) and keeping them ostracized and separated from the public so that they stay safe while they practice, they will do that if they must.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:17 pm

If you're not willing to accept that players and people around the program are going to get the virus, you shouldn't even bother trying to play. The stupidest of all possible paths is getting everyone together for 2 practices, oops! 3 guys tested positive, everyone has to quarantine for 2 weeks, come back and oops! 2 days later another 3 guys test positive, everyone has to quarantine for 2 weeks...

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:If you're not willing to accept that players and people around the program are going to get the virus, you shouldn't even bother trying to play. The stupidest of all possible paths is getting everyone together for 2 practices, oops! 3 guys tested positive, everyone has to quarantine for 2 weeks, come back and oops! 2 days later another 3 guys test positive, everyone has to quarantine for 2 weeks...

It doesn't have to be like that. It should be:
  • Monday June 22nd, all players arrive, are tested immediately, and sent to a dorm room on quarantine, no one practices
  • tests come back, the players that are positive remain in their dorm rooms on quarantine. Those who are negative, they go to the practice facility and they practice with each, ostracized entirely from the public
  • A week or two later, they check on the players who tested positive and if they are healthy now they are past the incubation period and they can practice with the team

We have Zoom. We have Skype. Any player who tests positive, they can attend every single team meeting from their dorm room via Skype. But the whole idea here is keep the players and the coaches completely ostracized from the public while they practice and work out so that there is no chance that any of them can be infected from anyone else on the outside. You can do this but it requires a lot of work and a lot of careful planning and operation. And everyone must buy-in.

Get in.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:If you're not willing to accept that players and people around the program are going to get the virus, you shouldn't even bother trying to play. The stupidest of all possible paths is getting everyone together for 2 practices, oops! 3 guys tested positive, everyone has to quarantine for 2 weeks, come back and oops! 2 days later another 3 guys test positive, everyone has to quarantine for 2 weeks...

• Monday June 22nd, all players arrive, are tested immediately, and sent to a dorm room on quarantine, no one practices
  • tests come back, the players that are positive remain in their dorm rooms on quarantine. Those who are negative, they go to the practice facility and they practice with each, ostracized entirely from the public
  • A week or two later, they check on the players who tested positive and if they are healthy now they are past the incubation period and they can practice with the team

We have Zoom. We have Skype. Any player who tests positive, they can attend every single team meeting from their dorm room via Skype. But the whole idea here is keep the players and the coaches completely ostracized from the public while they practice and work out so that there is no chance that any of them can be infected from anyone else on the outside. You can do this but it requires a lot of work and a lot of careful planning and operation. And everyone must buy-in.

Get in.

Good luck keeping football players on a college campus completely isolated from the public. Pipe dream

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:19 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

Get in.

Good luck keeping football players on a college campus completely isolated from the public. Pipe dream

Yeah I get that. Its asking a lot. But these are extraordinary times. And yes that is demanding perhaps way too much of 18 year old kids. Too bad. These are extraordinary times. You ask the players (yesterday) do you want to play this season, or not? If so, you have to do so much more than what is normally asked of college football players.

If they test negative, I bring food in from the outside and I wouldn't even let them leave the bubble. I'd have cots set up right there on the practice field, they sleep there. They go in to the locker room to shower and that's it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 pm

I get why they're trying to play (financially they have to try), but I don't see how this works especially with football.

The PGA Tour is the perfect sport for success in this environment.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I get why they're trying to play (financially they have to try), but I don't see how this works especially with football.

It is. Have you watched ANY golf? I sure haven't. I tried to watch some NASCAR but the stands were completely empty at the time of the race and it depressed me much too much.

We MUST have football. That is our breads and circuses.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It is. Have you watched ANY golf? I sure haven't. I tried to watch some NASCAR but the stands were completely empty at the time of the race and it depressed me much too much.

We MUST have football. That is our breads and circuses.

I love golf on TV (or in person) so have watched a ton of it. I'd love to see football back (especially as a Bucs fan).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Ok I'll try this once.

1. You're not immune to serious hospitalization or death between the ages of 18-22 (obviously less likely than if you're 80).
2. There's no evidence to suggest you can't catch it again or that you have any long lasting immunity against it (yet).
3. If the players are infected, they're likely to infect the coaches and support staff some of which are in the high-risk demographic. You also have all the general support staff (and eventually professors) at BC.
4. This entire thing is about trying to avoid overwhelming the hospitals/medical care system.

My thought about point #1 and football is that you have obese linemen (probably a few who have diabetes, even if not formally diagnosed, and I'm sure there are several who are prediabetic), who could be more susceptible to serious illness or death. Just as 1-2 college football players die each year of preventable heat stroke, there could be a player who dies of COVID. Unlike with heat stroke, everyone will pay attention to a COVID death, and the game will simply shut down. Who wants to be the player, parent, coach or college administrator who admits these kids lives' are expendable (even if some think they are)?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prediabetes/symptoms-causes/syc-20355278

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/09/28/30-ncaa-football-players-have-died-during-workouts-2000-hbo-reveals-13456
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:57 pm

I haven't seen this floated by anyone tied to BC but I know some fans of other schools are thinking like Funishment. The teams want the players exposed now so that fall camp is uninterrupted.

At the end of the day the players are more at risk for head injury, spine injuries or heat stroke than they are of COVID.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I haven't seen this floated by anyone tied to BC but I know some fans of other schools are thinking like Funishment. The teams want the players exposed now so that fall camp is uninterrupted.

At the end of the day the players are more at risk for head injury, spine injuries or heat stroke than they are of COVID.

Read Point #2. This is dumb
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:05 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:http://bit.ly/Matusz-Media

I thought this interview was interesting. The whole setup just seems so much more like a modern program now, especially the S&C and support staff.

just got around to listening to this, agreed was very good.

first thing that jumped out at me was when matusz was hired from ohio state, went to hafley and said we need to double strength support staff and now there are 4 including tyler rouse
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext