2020 Offseason

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Offseason

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:42 pm

You don’t need to be tall to rebound. Pop was 6’11” and couldn’t rebound to save his life.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BConway on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:You don’t need to be tall to rebound. Pop was 6’11” and couldn’t rebound to save his life.

But it's not like I'm advocating playing one of these guys over Danny Fortson or Malik Rose.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:34 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:You don’t need to be tall to rebound. Pop was 6’11” and couldn’t rebound to save his life.

But it's not like I'm advocating playing one of these guys over Danny Fortson or Malik Rose.

Rebounding is overrated period. Only people in their 60s pound the rebounding shit. Make shots.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby lobstalova on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Rebounding is overrated period. Only people in their 60s pound the rebounding shit. Make shots.

JC agrees. Age checks out.

Not rebounding well has worked well for us historically...
lobstalova
n00b

Postby BConway on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

When other teams miss we need to grab boards in order to "make shots".
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:50 am

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Again, putting the tallest guys on the court does not cure rebounding issues. Putting the best guys on the court can disguise them. This is not a strange concept, its how most of the NBA operates, including the Celtics and in particular the Rockets, who don't even want Clint Capela on the court.

In any event one of the reasons I support Felder starting is because if I had to hazard a guess, Felder is probably one of the best candidates to rebound on the team after Mitchell. In the limited minutes he played he seemed like an athletic high energy guy that likes playing in the paint.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Again, putting the tallest guys on the court does not cure rebounding issues. Putting the best guys on the court can disguise them. This is not a strange concept, its how most of the NBA operates, including the Celtics and in particular the Rockets, who don't even want Clint Capela on the court.

In any event one of the reasons I support Felder starting is because if I had to hazard a guess, Felder is probably one of the best candidates to rebound on the team after Mitchell. In the limited minutes he played he seemed like an athletic high energy guy that likes playing in the paint.

Well Felder played 20 per and wasn't very effective. I hope he improves and grows a little. A d again I'm not saying put the tallest guy out there. If that were true I'd be saying use Luka or start Vander Baan but I'm not. All I'm advocating for is using Adams next to Steff if Felder is the same player as his freshman year. Oh and the Rockets have Harden and Westbrook so not the best comparison.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 am

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Well Felder played 20 per and wasn't very effective. I hope he improves and grows a little. A d again I'm not saying put the tallest guy out there. If that were true I'd be saying use Luka or start Vander Baan but I'm not. All I'm advocating for is using Adams next to Steff if Felder is the same player as his freshman year. Oh and the Rockets have Harden and Westbrook so not the best comparison.

Yeah, Harden and Westbrook. The best players that make a lot of shots and can hide the lack of a rebounder who can't do much else in favor of putting another shooter on the court.

BC has two guards that shoot alot and pretty well. Put the three best players around them.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:20 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

You're equating tall with good rebounder.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BConway on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

You must have a problem reading because if i equated size to rebounding then I would say start Luka or Vander Baan.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby BConway on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Yeah, Harden and Westbrook. The best players that make a lot of shots and can hide the lack of a rebounder who can't do much else in favor of putting another shooter on the court.

BC has two guards that shoot alot and pretty well. Put the three best players around them.

Yeah Heath and Tabbs aka Harden and Westbrook. You are in a dreamland if you think BC can say like that. This team cant win that way. They need to defend and rebound to stay competitive. Games in the 60's if they way to victory.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:01 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:Freshman- Demaar Langford (G/F) JVB (C)

Sophomore- Tabbs (G) Heath (G) Felder (F) Williams (F)

Junior- Makai Langford (G)

Senior- Mitchell (F) Luka (F/C)

5th year Transfers- Kelly (G) Scott (F) Adams (F/C)

Waiting on eligibility one year left- Karnik (F/C)

If i had to guess on a lineup (if Tabbs is 100%)

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Kelly and Felder first ones off the bench with the Langfords also getting plenty of minutes. Kamari Williams looked good at the end of the year and could see more playing time.

I vote for starting all four sophmores and young Langford.
if we are gonna suck, we might as well suck while we build on something for 2-3 years from now and maybe even for a period after that
(See BC hoops 90-91 through 93-94)

You might be onto something with the Eisley-Abram-Huckaby-Curley group. Felder would be Corey Jackson/Will Foley, but younger and more mobile.

My guess however is that JC goes with both Heath and Mitchell as starters. Toss up with the rest. I think both Scott and Kelly prob start at the outset, but end up being 1st off the bench along with Adams. Worried that Tabbs won't contribute as much as we'd all like. Also, if Kelly isn't a turnover machine, he may end up getting more minutes in the backcourt.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:06 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

You must have a problem reading because if i equated size to rebounding then I would say start Luka or Vander Baan.

If you recommended starting Luka we'd have to send someone over to check on your sanity
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:37 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Yeah Heath and Tabbs aka Harden and Westbrook. You are in a dreamland if you think BC can say like that. This team cant win that way. They need to defend and rebound to stay competitive. Games in the 60's if they way to victory.

Its also a way to the 1950s. This team isn't staying competitive regardless but they certainly are not doing it leaning on mid major grad transfers to come in and anchor the boards and defense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Give Conway some credit. His optimism run deep. It's refreshing. I remember when I felt that way about BC basketball.
This board will eventually poison him, shred his hopes, stomp on his positive ideas, and rip his BC loving soul out of him.
AND THEN OUR TEAM WILL STEP ON THE COURT AND START THE SEASON

When will his tone change?
Before or after 11/15/2020?
Before -136
After +116

Before is a slight favorite.
Nothing good happens here.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BConway on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:Give Conway some credit. His optimism run deep. It's refreshing. I remember when I felt that way about BC basketball.
This board will eventually poison him, shred his hopes, stomp on his positive ideas, and rip his BC loving soul out of him.

Before -136
After +116

I've been a BC fan for like 30 years and have seen the ups and downs. I know what weve done lately in basketball nd it's horrible. We dont get Boston players and kids transfer out as quick as they come in. I get crap constantly from my friends for following BC sports so negativity is nothing new. Plus I'd have to be crazy to think everyone's positive in a forum.

I really love roster construction and recruiting in college and debating lineups etc. That's why I post here. Nobody else I know cares at all about BC recruiting :( :suicide

I'll keep posting here and discussing the team as long as people still post here.

Back to other posting I was doing. I looked over Adams as much as I could and he seems like he could be decent. Definitely better than Mo Jeffers. He seems to be hindered by foul trouble quite often and that's obviously gonna be an issue vs bigger and better guys. He either starts or is the first big off the bench.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:15 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:Give Conway some credit. His optimism run deep. It's refreshing. I remember when I felt that way about BC basketball.

Before -136
After +116

I've been a BC fan for like 30 years and have seen the ups and downs. I know what weve done lately in basketball nd it's horrible. We dont get Boston players and kids transfer out as quick as they come in. I get crap constantly from my friends for following BC sports so negativity is nothing new. Plus I'd have to be crazy to think everyone's positive in a forum.

I really love roster construction and recruiting in college and debating lineups etc. That's why I post here. Nobody else I know cares at all about BC recruiting :( :suicide

I'll keep posting here and discussing the team as long as people still post here.

Back to other posting I was doing. I looked over Adams as much as I could and he seems like he could be decent. Definitely better than Mo Jeffers. He seems to be hindered by foul trouble quite often and that's obviously gonna be an issue vs bigger and better guys. He either starts or is the first big off the bench.

We have never consistently kept top Boston/New England talent home. Every once in a while we get a kid but for the last 40 years they have gone elsewhere.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BConway on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:30 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Before -136
After +116

We have never consistently kept top Boston/New England talent home. Every once in a while we get a kid but for the last 40 years they have gone elsewhere.

It drives me crazy. It's cool that we got some NC kids and Cali kids in the Craig Smity years but without getting our own kids to stay in there backyard we will never be a threat to actually win anything.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby Bumpers on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Before -136
After +116

So true. This goes all the way back to Ewing coming out of CR&L. Anybody know the details of why Dr. Tom didn't land him? JT paid his players more, I suppose.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:56 am

What is the largest city in America where the local team gets anything approximating every top recruit? Does any such city exist? Do the places where this is the case have anything in common with Boston?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Good point. Happens more in CFB when you think about it.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BConway on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:12 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:What is the largest city in America where the local team gets anything approximating every top recruit? Does any such city exist? Do the places where this is the case have anything in common with Boston?

We literally get none though
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby Bender on Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 am

Jim O'Brien had developed great local pipeline going back in the mid-90s. After the administration wouldn't let Elton Tyler and Jon Depina into the school BABC basically said none of their players would go to BC again and Leo Papile still runs that club. Since that situation there have only been four scholarship high school recruits from MA: Dennis Clifford, Stevie Hailey, Jermaine Watson, Brian Ross. Of those four, only Watson was a high level recruit. The current regime has been trying hard to re-establish that connection and the Langford situation may be a big breakthrough towards that goal, hopefully it can lead to more local recruits.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 pm

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:01 pm

I hear that the league officials are “honestly fucking impressed” how Conte has had social distancing practices in place way prior to outbreak. Think we’ll have fans in-house come November?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BConway on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:05 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I hear that the league officials are “honestly fucking impressed” how Conte has had social distancing practices in place way prior to outbreak. Think we’ll have fans in-house come November?

Is it even worth having the 800 fans that go?
My guess would be no or extremely limited numbers.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:43 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I hear that the league officials are “honestly fucking impressed” how Conte has had social distancing practices in place way prior to outbreak. Think we’ll have fans in-house come November?

I’m guessing a normally $6-$12 ticket (secondary market) will go up in price with less supply, so it might actually hurt for those of us that like to go to a cheap game with low expectations. The question is, with covid, will demand for sports attendance decrease? If protocols are in place, I actually don’t think so
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:30 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

I’m guessing a normally $6-$12 ticket (secondary market) will go up in price with less supply, so it might actually hurt for those of us that like to go to a cheap game with low expectations. The question is, with covid, will demand for sports attendance decrease? If protocols are in place, I actually don’t think so

Even as the insane person who goes to 10+ games a year, I'm not risking contracting COVID-19 to watch BC Basketball in person.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Even as the insane person who goes to 10+ games a year, I'm not risking contracting COVID-19 to watch BC Basketball in person.

eepstein0 = semifan
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

eepstein0 = semifan

makes sense - he only has a semi-cock
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum