2020 Offseason

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Offseason

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:26 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Freshman- Demaar Langford (G/F) JVB (C)

Sophomore- Tabbs (G) Heath (G) Felder (F) Williams (F)

Junior- Makai Langford (G)

Senior- Mitchell (F) Luka (F/C)

5th year Transfers- Kelly (G) Scott (F) Adams (F/C)

Waiting on eligibility one year left- Karnik (F/C)

If i had to guess on a lineup (if Tabbs is 100%)

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Kelly and Felder first ones off the bench with the Langfords also getting plenty of minutes. Kamari Williams looked good at the end of the year and could see more playing time...

thank you very much.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:14 pm

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Kelly and Felder first ones off the bench with the Langfords also getting plenty of minutes. Kamari Williams looked good at the end of the year and could see more playing time. 5 open scholarships for next year and could be 6 if Karnik plays and we only have two current offers out that could actually be commits, the two local kids that play for Langford and JVB AAU team. Most teams have 20+ offers out to players at this time. I get it that its tough with no AAU to recruit but Jimmy is gonna have to pretend like he’ll be here next year again.

I say this every year, but that lineup can’t score or shoot. Agreed with TWB that freshman Langford will start and play a ton.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:40 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Kelly and Felder first ones off the bench with the Langfords also getting plenty of minutes. Kamari Williams looked good at the end of the year and could see more playing time. 5 open scholarships for next year and could be 6 if Karnik plays and we only have two current offers out that could actually be commits, the two local kids that play for Langford and JVB AAU team. Most teams have 20+ offers out to players at this time. I get it that its tough with no AAU to recruit but Jimmy is gonna have to pretend like he’ll be here next year again.

I say this every year, but that lineup can’t score or shoot. Agreed with TWB that freshman Langford will start and play a ton.

I vote for starting all four sophmores and young Langford.
if we are gonna suck, we might as well suck while we build on something for 2-3 years from now and maybe even for a period after that
(See BC hoops 90-91 through 93-94)
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Primetime on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:49 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

if we are gonna suck, we might as well suck while we build on something for 2-3 years from now and maybe even for a period after that

So you would bring in four grad transfers, along with your best returning player, and bench them all? That doesn't make any sense.

Tabbs/Heath/Mitchell are starting. I tend to agree with the OP - Scott and Adams start to begin the season, and time will tell if Felder or one of the Langford brothers replaces them.

Also note, we aren't going to suck or at least suck as much as we have the past few years - this is the most competitive team Jimmy Mac has had (minus the Hawkins year, undone by injury).
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:54 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

JC doesn't have time to suck. He needs to show Kraft something.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

So you would bring in four grad transfers, along with your best returning player, and bench them all? That doesn't make any sense.

Tabbs/Heath/Mitchell are starting. I tend to agree with the OP - Scott and Adams start to begin the season, and time will tell if Felder or one of the Langford brothers replaces them.

Also note, we aren't going to suck or at least suck as much as we have the past few years - this is the most competitive team Jimmy Mac has had (minus the Hawkins year, undone by injury).

Can you explain your optimism on this team? They'll win between 3-7 ACC games as constructed unless the freshman are amazing or you get a huge jump from Felder & Kamari.

There's a reason these transfers played in the NEC (or whatever conference Southern Utah plays in).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:56 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

JC doesn't have time to suck. He needs to show Kraft something.

Thats precisely why the Patriot League guys shouldn't start. But Scott will and probably should to start the season. If you are winning by conference season it ls because Felder and the Langfords are getting more run than the warm bodies from the MAAC filling roster spots.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Primetime on Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Can you explain your optimism on this team? They'll win between 3-7 ACC games as constructed unless the freshman are amazing or you get a huge jump from Felder & Kamari.

There's a reason these transfers played in the NEC (or whatever conference Southern Utah plays in).

Reason for optimism: Tabbs/Heath is a really good backcourt, Mitchell is one of the best defenders in the ACC, and they have a ton of depth.

Also, just to put things into perspective - Christian's best ACC record is 7-11 in 2017-18, so his "best team" doesn't mean I think they're making the tourney (which is the only thing that'll save his job). My point was that he's not tanking with his job on the line. As another poster noted, JC doesn't have time to suck.

Prediction: I think 8-10 ACC wins and the NIT (and Christian gets canned).
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:25 pm

I think you'd have a pretty hard time firing Jimmy MAC if he made the NIT and had a returning nucleus of Tabbs, Heath, and whatever the Langfords are giving you. I'd say he was great bargain if he gave you those results at his current price.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Reason for optimism: Tabbs/Heath is a really good backcourt, Mitchell is one of the best defenders in the ACC, and they have a ton of depth.

Also, just to put things into perspective - Christian's best ACC record is 7-11 in 2017-18, so his "best team" doesn't mean I think they're making the tourney (which is the only thing that'll save his job). My point was that he's not tanking with his job on the line. As another poster noted, JC doesn't have time to suck.

Tabbs is a total wild card. Again, expecting him to come back full tilt after 20+ months off and 2 knee surgeries just isn’t realistic.

I also don’t think the Patriot League Allstars count as depth. I refer you back to Tava and Jeffers.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Primetime on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:02 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Tabbs is a total wild card. Again, expecting him to come back full tilt after 20+ months off and 2 knee surgeries just isn’t realistic.

I also don’t think the Patriot League Allstars count as depth. I refer you back to Tava and Jeffers.

Yikes. Invoking the names of Tava and Jeffers just brought back some bad memories. :suicide :whiteflag

That was a BAD team:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2017.html

I'll agree that there is no reason to think that Adams and Scott will be any better than Tava and Jeffers - guess we'll wait and see.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:34 am

I actually think Jeffers was a useful player and Scott could offer similar production.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I actually think Jeffers was a useful player and Scott could offer similar production.

2 completely different kinds of players though. Scott is smaller, plays outside some and can shoot the 3. I think Adams would be more like Jeffers in terms of skillset.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:00 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I actually think Jeffers was a useful player and Scott could offer similar production.

2 completely different kinds of players though. Scott is smaller, plays outside some and can shoot the 3. I think Adams would be more like Jeffers in terms of skillset.

I meant purely numbers. 5/5 something like that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Jeffers was useful in a 10-15 minute a game role. Not as your best post presence at 30 min per game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

PG- Heath
SG- Tabbs
SF- Scott
PF- Mitchell
C- Adams

Yikes. Invoking the names of Tava and Jeffers just brought back some bad memories. :suicide :whiteflag

That was a BAD team:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2017.html

I'll agree that there is no reason to think that Adams and Scott will be any better than Tava and Jeffers - guess we'll wait and see.

The only thing I remember about that year was Gordon Gehan and his luscious cherry lips.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby BConway on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

My guess would be Scott goes for something like 8/4/2 per. He can shoot a little and can probably play both 3/4 so I gave him more. Adams probably will get decent minutes if Karnik is out and go for 6/6. We gotta find a way to keep Felder happy enough to not transfer out. Gonna need bodies up front for next year also.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:31 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

My guess would be Scott goes for something like 8/4/2 per. He can shoot a little and can probably play both 3/4 so I gave him more. Adams probably will get decent minutes if Karnik is out and go for 6/6. We gotta find a way to keep Felder happy enough to not transfer out. Gonna need bodies up front for next year also.

I can solve your Felder problem. He, Mitchell and Scott should be the frontcourt. If not, then the frosh should be the only one that starts over him and he should be first off the bench.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

I can solve your Felder problem. He, Mitchell and Scott should be the frontcourt. If not, then the frosh should be the only one that starts over him and he should be first off the bench.

Didnt you guarantee that Scott wouldn't start with 2 other bigs?
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:48 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

No. I said he shouldn't start earlier. I also said if he's starting the team is not good. But he'll start. I'm just accepting that fact as an assumption given the coach.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

No. I said he shouldn't start earlier. I also said if he's starting the team is not good. But he'll start. I'm just accepting that fact as an assumption given the coach.

Ok well if you were the coach what would the starting 5 look like? And who is the first guys off the bench.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Tabbs Heath Langford Felder and Mitchell. Langford the elder and Scott and Adams off the bench. Williams next.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:14 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Tabbs Heath Langford Felder and Mitchell. Langford the elder and Scott and Adams off the bench. Williams next.

I feel like if we start Langford with Tabbs and Heath, which I'm all for btw, then we probably need Adams to start alongside Steff to offset some of the massive size disadvantage we could be at in ACC play. Maybe Felder grows into a full size big before the start of next season, he was very young. I hope so because that would look going forward into 21-22 also.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:32 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Tabbs Heath Langford Felder and Mitchell. Langford the elder and Scott and Adams off the bench. Williams next.

I feel like if we start Langford with Tabbs and Heath, which I'm all for btw, then we probably need Adams to start alongside Steff to offset some of the massive size disadvantage we could be at in ACC play. Maybe Felder grows into a full size big before the start of next season, he was very young. I hope so because that would look going forward into 21-22 also.

They're going to stink playing players just because they are tall in an era of hoop where tall is largely irrelevant.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

They're going to stink playing players just because they are tall in an era of hoop where tall is largely irrelevant.

You keep trying to drive the same point home about size but we got murdered on the boards last year going small. We ranked 323 in rebounds against. No chance we can win like that in the ACC, teams are to skilled and they are bigger.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:35 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

You keep trying to drive the same point home about size but we got murdered on the boards last year going small. We ranked 323 in rebounds against. No chance we can win like that in the ACC, teams are to skilled and they are bigger.

I'm not driving the point home. The NBA did that for me. CYO 1 through 5 positions are outdated. And putting a tall guy out there that can't play is not solving the rebounding problem.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:10 am

This. These are their five best players. Start them.

Also the point about keeping Felder happy with playing time is legitimate, although that didn’t matter for Jairus Hamilton
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BConway on Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:42 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Also the point about keeping Felder happy with playing time is legitimate, although that didn’t matter for Jairus Hamilton

I think its bit of a leap to call Felder one of our 5 best players. He is young with upside and room to grow but I think Adams and Scott are probably better right now. Maybe his game grows from freshman to soph year, I hope so, but wasn't overly impressed by him as a freshman.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:39 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I think its bit of a leap to call Felder one of our 5 best players. He is young with upside and room to grow but I think Adams and Scott are probably better right now. Maybe his game grows from freshman to soph year, I hope so, but wasn't overly impressed by him as a freshman.

I was impressed with him as a freshman. On what basis would anyone think two Patriot League guys looking to extend their career would be better than him? I think its a stretch to expect anything but warm bodies . Which is fine, they needed a few.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I was impressed with him as a freshman. On what basis would anyone think two Patriot League guys looking to extend their career would be better than him? I think its a stretch to expect anything but warm bodies . Which is fine, they needed a few.

Well Adams was pretty highly recruited originally. All I was saying is right now they may be better right now. I don't think that's a stretch. Felder may grow as a player leaps and bounds to his sophomore year but if hes a similar player as his freshman season the vets may see more playing time this year.
BConway
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum