Basketball Practice Facility

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Basketball Practice Facility

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 am

I forgot to mention this, but talked with a few people at BC in Brooklyn who mentioned a basketball-only practice facility is on the way.

I would imagine they'll start fund-raising on it this summer/fall. Should probably hit up Jackson & Dudley the same way some other schools have for an initial donation to kick it off.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Basketball Practice Facility

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Well that's good news. The program will have no excuses after it's built and Leahy is dead.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:57 pm

Leahy is WAY overdue to step aside. We need a change, but I have little faith we'd get a good replacement.

College presidents are also spending less time in each job. The average tenure of a college president in their current job was 6.5 years in 2016, down from seven years in 2011. It was 8.5 years in 2006.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... tudy-finds

Leahy has been president for 22 years.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:07 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Leahy is WAY overdue to step aside. We need a change, but I have little faith we'd get a good replacement.

College presidents are also spending less time in each job. The average tenure of a college president in their current job was 6.5 years in 2016, down from seven years in 2011. It was 8.5 years in 2006.

Why do you have little faith that we’d get a good replacement?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:45 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Leahy is WAY overdue to step aside. We need a change, but I have little faith we'd get a good replacement.

How did this thread spin into a fire Leahy thread? This is EO at its best.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:17 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:

Because I'm assuming it would be a Jesuit priest selected by a board of trustees that is made up of a group of people who have not convinced me that they care or know enough about competing in big-time college athletics.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:37 pm

i disagree. i see the next president being a lay person. that doesn't mean they won't pick the wrong lay person, but my guess is no white collar in the president's office when leahy retires in 8 years
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:13 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i disagree. i see the next president being a lay person. that doesn't mean they won't pick the wrong lay person, but my guess is no white collar in the president's office when leahy retires in 8 years

That would be a small step in the right direction and certainly possible.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bumpers on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:30 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i disagree. i see the next president being a lay person. that doesn't mean they won't pick the wrong lay person, but my guess is no white collar in the president's office when leahy retires in 8 years

That would be a small step in the right direction and certainly possible.

It has already been decided at high levels that Kevin Shea will succeed. This should not interpreted to meant that Shea will succeed, however.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Previously, he served as the Boston Red Sox’ director of public relations, internal and external communications and media relations.

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus ... ident.html

:shock:
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:41 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Previously, he served as the Boston Red Sox’ director of public relations, internal and external communications and media relations.

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus ... ident.html

:shock:

Interesting.

I wonder what ol' whalepants would have to say about this.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 pm

I was just talking to a BC person recently and the thought is the BOT and the Jesuits want another Jesuit President.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Irishriviera on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:02 pm

I went to high school with Kevin Shea. I can't imagine him as President of BC but a lot of HS people have ended up in places I didn't expect so who knows. He's from a big Holy Cross family. If it happens, it's probably good news for BC hockey since the Sheas were a huge hockey family.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Shea will never be BC president. He's not an academic nor a high profile leader from another area (business or politics).
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm

What about Rex Tillerson?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:What about Rex Tillerson?

Would be a huge raise for him.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Shea will never be BC president. He's not an academic nor a high profile leader from another area (business or politics).

No one could be worse than Chris Crane.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Does this Dudley tweet have something to do with the rumored new hoops facility?

https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/1039337478568718336
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:52 pm

https://247sports.com/college/boston-co ... 136695261/

"The announcement comes years in the making. Maryland and Boston College are the only Power Five programs without basketball facilities separate from their gameday arenas."
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:38 am

I noticed Providence built a brand new state of the art facility for $30 million. Is construction cost really that much higher in Boston that it would double the price?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I noticed Providence built a brand new state of the art facility for $30 million. Is construction cost really that much higher in Boston that it would double the price?

PC's is really nice but they also had the advantage of a ton of building space for this in the front corner of campus (I believe it also ties into the former practice court they used to use). I walked through it a year ago and they really did a nice job. I agree, this isn't really some intricate space (more money is spent furnishing it) so I dont see where the money is going if we presume the cost would be double. Its a few courts, locker rooms, office space and some rehab/training space.

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:52 pm

The problem with building a BB facility wasn't space. The problems were largely due to the manner in which Jarmond went about it. Marty was concerned about ticking boxes... build something... hire a coach... get another job.

If Kraft spends a little upfront money to create a quality plan/vision/design, I think the money will be there. But, like the FB facility, this is something that (if done right) will take time to plan and implement. As I've said before, I think it best to build a forum (where BB has offices, lockerrooms, weightrooms and practice facilities) where games are played. It removes the design issues of Conte (and leaves it as a top-line hockey arena) and it will likely garner more donor dollars (since the facility would be something that would get TV time).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The problem with building a BB facility wasn't space. The problems were largely due to the manner in which Jarmond went about it. Marty was concerned about ticking boxes... build something... hire a coach... get another job.

If Kraft spends a little upfront money to create a quality plan/vision/design, I think the money will be there. But, like the FB facility, this is something that (if done right) will take time to plan and implement. As I've said before, I think it best to build a forum (where BB has offices, lockerrooms, weightrooms and practice facilities) where games are played. It removes the design issues of Conte (and leaves it as a top-line hockey arena) and it will likely garner more donor dollars (since the facility would be something that would get TV time).

Back in the day I always thought it was cool that BC had separate hockey/basketball venues(although McCue and Roberts were so antiquated) so I applaud your suggestion of a new separate basketball complex.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:The problem with building a BB facility wasn't space. The problems were largely due to the manner in which Jarmond went about it. Marty was concerned about ticking boxes... build something... hire a coach... get another job.

This would be excellent. But where is the space to build an integrated hoops facility on campus? Maybe where the Plex was, which is now a lot of green space?
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Back in the day I always thought it was cool that BC had separate hockey/basketball venues(although McCue and Roberts were so antiquated) so I applaud your suggestion of a new separate basketball complex.

I obvs know what the Roberts Center is, but what's McCue? Was it where Conte is now?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Rothstein reporting it’s a go
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:17 pm

anyone have details on this? i havent heard a word.

hjs has been dead on - have you heard anything?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:07 pm

Nice. Where would they put it? Where Edmonds used to be (rip).
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:12 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Rothstein reporting it’s a go

Given the recent (apparent) news re: New Balance being involved with outfitting sports outside of FB, I wonder if they're involved with this alleged facility i.e. the arrangement they have with the Celtics practice facility ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:51 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Nice. Where would they put it? Where Edmonds used to be (rip).

They just put the new Plex where Edmonds used to be.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum