2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Sun May 17, 2020 4:38 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:A new indoor facility for football was understandable and much needed. Football drives the bus. But I don't see how a new basketball facility moves the needle much. It doesn't come close to outweighing the issue of the Conte Ghosts. BC could start by cutting non-revenue sports like volleyball so they don't have to share Power Gym with them. And whatever office/admin space is freed up by eliminating a couple of programs can be given to the basketball program.

It would seem a facility for hockey is more necessary. Perhaps they can build a rink at Pine Manor. And that could help the basketball programs by giving them more time to practice in Conte.

They desperately need an indoor basketball facility. It’s a major reason the recruiting sucks. Build facility, hire real coach, win games and the Ghosts vanish.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sun May 17, 2020 4:49 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:A new indoor facility for football was understandable and much needed. Football drives the bus. But I don't see how a new basketball facility moves the needle much. It doesn't come close to outweighing the issue of the Conte Ghosts. BC could start by cutting non-revenue sports like volleyball so they don't have to share Power Gym with them. And whatever office/admin space is freed up by eliminating a couple of programs can be given to the basketball program.

It would seem a facility for hockey is more necessary. Perhaps they can build a rink at Pine Manor. And that could help the basketball programs by giving them more time to practice in Conte.

Bc can't cut volleyball for obvious reasons.

I said a couple of programs. Cut M Soccer too.

Do whatever the fuck Notre Dame did. They have all major men's sports, and lacrosse too.

Notre Dame has 1261 acres. BC now has about 385 acres after the Pine Manor acquisition. ND also has a little NBC contract. Georgia Tech is a more fair comparison (373 acres) and they have fewer sports than BC.

What the hell does acreage have to do with cutting some goofy sports so we can have a men’s lacrosse program? Notre Dame has fewer varsity sports than BC, and also has a men’s lacrosse program.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They desperately need an indoor basketball facility. It’s a major reason the recruiting sucks. Build facility, hire real coach, win games and the Ghosts vanish.

And where will they put it? The only possibility I can think of on main campus is the Rec Plex spot. But i think they should keep some grass/parking there. If you put it on Pine Manor then it’s a bit of a pain in the ass. And they need money.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun May 17, 2020 4:57 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Do whatever the fuck Notre Dame did. They have all major men's sports, and lacrosse too.

Notre Dame has 1261 acres. BC now has about 385 acres after the Pine Manor acquisition. ND also has a little NBC contract. Georgia Tech is a more fair comparison (373 acres) and they have fewer sports than BC.

What the hell does acreage have to do with cutting some goofy sports so we can have a men’s lacrosse program? Notre Dame has fewer varsity sports than BC, and also has a men’s lacrosse program.

I misread your post. Thought you meant they had all of the men’s sports, not just the major ones. My point on acreage is space for fields/facilities.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun May 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Fuck lacrosse, I would rather have Men’s soccer which is a fuckload cheaper to run.
BC was never successful in men’s lacrosse when they had it here. Not sure why you would expect that would change.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 17, 2020 5:33 pm

The lacrosse dorks are funny. BC would get murdered in the ACC.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun May 17, 2020 5:48 pm

bc is the only p5 program without an indoor basketball facility, that should tell you how important it is
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:marty's salary info:

UCLA has hired Boston College's Martin Jarmond as its athletic director, according to sources.

Jarmond, 39, will be paid around $1.2 million per year initially. Sources are indicating the deal includes a five-year contract that will get Jarmond upward of $1.7 per year spread out over the five years.

UCLA also needed to cover a buyout with Boston College, which sources said was close to $2 million.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Arti ... 147217952/

he was paid roughly $900k here

So we just sold our AD for 2 million dollars? sounds like that was a good investment.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Leahy realizes the financial benefit of cashing a $2mm UCLA check than paying $1mm for Bates to leave. I just hope that he further invests in another up-and-comer instead of listening to the insecure faction of the fan base and hire another Spaz because they are all butt hurt over someone choosing the Lakers over the Celtics.

No one wants what you said here, strawman. People said three things, Marty was great, UCLA sports is a dumpster fire which makes the move a mediocre one for Marty (great for UCLA) and traffic in LA is awful. None of that makes anyone insecure or means that people want Spaz because we're scared the Hafleys and Martys will leave. I hope they hire his clone and he stays three years.

One of those three things shows the insecurity and insularity of those inside 128.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun May 17, 2020 6:22 pm

what's next to the Fish Field House? can't build the hoop practice facility next door?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 17, 2020 6:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:marty's salary info:

UCLA has hired Boston College's Martin Jarmond as its athletic director, according to sources.

Jarmond, 39, will be paid around $1.2 million per year initially. Sources are indicating the deal includes a five-year contract that will get Jarmond upward of $1.7 per year spread out over the five years.

UCLA also needed to cover a buyout with Boston College, which sources said was close to $2 million.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Arti ... 147217952/

he was paid roughly $900k here

So we just sold our AD for 2 million dollars? sounds like that was a good investment.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Leahy realizes the financial benefit of cashing a $2mm UCLA check than paying $1mm for Bates to leave. I just hope that he further invests in another up-and-comer instead of listening to the insecure faction of the fan base and hire another Spaz because they are all butt hurt over someone choosing the Lakers over the Celtics.

No one wants what you said here, strawman. People said three things, Marty was great, UCLA sports is a dumpster fire which makes the move a mediocre one for Marty (great for UCLA) and traffic in LA is awful. None of that makes anyone insecure or means that people want Spaz because we're scared the Hafleys and Martys will leave. I hope they hire his clone and he stays three years.

One of those three things shows the insecurity and insularity of those inside 128.

No not really, it's a statement of obvious fact for anyone thats seen LA other than by Google Maps like you. I'm not even from Boston.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun May 17, 2020 6:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:bc is the only p5 program without an indoor basketball facility, that should tell you how important it is

I’ve heard this, but Power Gym is a quasi practice facility, albeit a very modest one. And again, my point was about moving the needle, primarily with recruiting. It would help, but I can’t imagine a huge uptick.

Look, it would be great to have one, just not sure where to put a huge building on main campus.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun May 17, 2020 6:30 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:what's next to the Fish Field House? can't build the hoop practice facility next door?

The football team needs a grass practice field.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 18, 2020 8:08 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:bc is the only p5 program without an indoor basketball facility, that should tell you how important it is

I’ve heard this, but Power Gym is a quasi practice facility, albeit a very modest one. And again, my point was about moving the needle, primarily with recruiting. It would help, but I can’t imagine a huge uptick.

Look, it would be great to have one, just not sure where to put a huge building on main campus.

It moves the needle in a huge way. Power Gym isn't a practice facility (neither men nor women team can even get in there at any hour).

Do this to Conte:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmarks/2 ... 0b7e33af1a

Build any of these in back of Conte (which is the current plan):

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/baske ... nd-the-acc
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:what's next to the Fish Field House? can't build the hoop practice facility next door?

They already have a spot to build it, but the fundraising isn't there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon May 18, 2020 8:23 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It's this. Marty has been shaking the trees on a basketball facility for 2 years now. He failed to get sufficient financing. This really says something since he was a superstar unicorn who could walk on water (a position most only adopted when he secured his offer from UCLA).

I will also say that the manner in which this campaign went about was stunningly amateurish. First, it was a BB-only game arena and training center. Then, it was a BB only practice facility. When they pulled the plug, it had deteriorated to the point of wondering if there was any improvement over checking a box. The schematics were also unimpressive and constantly changing. When you are asking for a 7 figure check, the donor wants his name associated with something beautiful and lasting... and not a refresh of the Plex. I'd also say that the identified "need" for the facility suddenly came about a year after the failed JC extension. It was used as a talking point as to why Jimmy Mac was failing and why we couldn't hire a better coach anyway. My take is that the mistaken extension meant that Leahy would continue to saddle Marty with JC and Jarmond was looking for an excuse.

Look. I liked Marty. He was a nice guy and was refreshing to interact with someone who wasn't already administrator during the Reagan era. That said, I always thought him to be a salesman. Constantly, looking to make a pitch are an ask. I had no problem with it as that was part of the job. I did not think he was someone who would be successful at long term projects. I was impressed about the way he went about each hire he made. The hiring thing is impressive only based on how effing poorly others have done it. So, I was impressed that he did the hiring the way each poster on these boards have suggested throughout the years.
Last edited by HJS on Mon May 18, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon May 18, 2020 8:27 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Where?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Fuck lacrosse, I would rather have Men’s soccer which is a fuckload cheaper to run.
BC was never successful in men’s lacrosse when they had it here. Not sure why you would expect that would change.

Hansen is right, fuck lacrosse. BC is the only major school in Boston without a funded men's rowing program. Harvard (obviously), BU, Northeastern, and MIT all have programs. Further we are the only major Jesuit university without one (Georgetown, St. Joes, Holy Cross).

There are no start-up costs as all the facilities are already in place. BC is already competitive at its level and regularly beats funded programs (in my time we regularly beat Holy Cross).

BC was offered to join the Eastern Sprints League (where all the Ivies compete and Holy Cross and Georgetown) but could not because of funding. This is really a no brainer.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

It moves the needle in a huge way. Power Gym isn't a practice facility (neither men nor women team can even get in there at any hour).

Do this to Conte:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmarks/2 ... 0b7e33af1a

Build any of these in back of Conte (which is the current plan):

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/baske ... nd-the-acc

Fish Field House didn’t even move the needle. BC still finished at the bottom of the rankings the last couple of years.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 18, 2020 8:50 am

not sure if trolling
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon May 18, 2020 8:52 am

To Murt's point, there are a number of programs that should be looked at for demotion: Fencing, Golf, Tennis, Swimming, Diving, Track and Field, Cross Country. There are programs like Crew and Lacrosse that should be looked at for promotion.

At BC, you won't be able to add until you drop. For dropping, I'd look at those sports where we cannot be competitive. For instance, what are the realistic chances that golf or tennis or swimming or diving will ever win anything? If the answer is never, then we should decide whether we'd get more out of lax or crew if resources were re-allocated.

I understand that there are hardships and disappointment associated with downgrading of a sport, so the process should be deliberate and with a long term scope. And, with an implementation that doesn't take hold for 3 years so as to not impact those already enrolled. But, to be clear, not of this exercise will have any impact on FB, BB or Hockey. This is just effecting programs that run in the background and occasionally have enough success to warrant mention in an alumni magazine.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 8:59 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:not sure if trolling

Maybe a little bit. These things definitely help, but BC has bigger problems. The main one being, nobody gives a shit about BC sports.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 18, 2020 9:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It's this. Marty has been shaking the trees on a basketball facility for 2 years now. He failed to get sufficient financing. This really says something since he was a superstar unicorn who could walk on water (a position most only adopted when he secured his offer from UCLA).

I will also say that the manner in which this campaign went about was stunningly amateurish. First, it was a BB-only game arena and training center. Then, it was a BB only practice facility. When they pulled the plug, it had deteriorated to the point of wondering if there was any improvement over checking a box. The schematics were also unimpressive and constantly changing. When you are asking for a 7 figure check, the donor wants his name associated with something beautiful and lasting... and not a refresh of the Plex. I'd also say that the identified "need" for the facility suddenly came about a year after the failed JC extension. It was used as a talking point as to why Jimmy Mac was failing and why we couldn't hire a better coach anyway. My take is that the mistaken extension meant that Leahy would continue to saddle Marty with JC and Jarmond was looking for an excuse.

Look. I liked Marty. He was a nice guy and was refreshing to interact with someone who wasn't already administrator during the Reagan era. That said, I always thought him to be a salesman. Constantly, looking to make a pitch are an ask. I had no problem with it as that was part of the job. I did not think he was someone who would be successful at long term projects. I was impressed about the way he went about each hire he made. The hiring thing is impressive only based on how effing poorly others have done it. So, I was impressed that he did the hiring the way each poster on these boards have suggested throughout the years.

At the time we discussed it, my feedback was donors desperately needed renderings to view (similar to the Fish FH). Those renderings weren't anything special, but it gives you a vision. A basketball facility doesn't need a lot. A few courts, two lounges (mens and womens), study area, a nice lobby and a S&T room. The facility would have a ridiculously positive effect on both programs.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon May 18, 2020 9:11 am

HJS {l Wrote}:To Murt's point, there are a number of programs that should be looked at for demotion: Fencing, Golf, Tennis, Swimming, Diving, Track and Field, Cross Country. There are programs like Crew and Lacrosse that should be looked at for promotion.

At BC, you won't be able to add until you drop. For dropping, I'd look at those sports where we cannot be competitive. For instance, what are the realistic chances that golf or tennis or swimming or diving will ever win anything? If the answer is never, then we should decide whether we'd get more out of lax or crew if resources were re-allocated.

I understand that there are hardships and disappointment associated with downgrading of a sport, so the process should be deliberate and with a long term scope. And, with an implementation that doesn't take hold for 3 years so as to not impact those already enrolled. But, to be clear, not of this exercise will have any impact on FB, BB or Hockey. This is just effecting programs that run in the background and occasionally have enough success to warrant mention in an alumni magazine.

What were the last varsity sports to get the ax? I believe lax and wrestling?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon May 18, 2020 9:12 am

One thing I liked about Marty was that he understood the importance of recruiting and that was clearly a major factor in hiring Hafley and the women’s basketball coach. Talent is critical and having the staff in place to bring it to campus is necessary. GDF and Buttcut never demonstrated the same interest or priority in upgrading the talent, probably because there’s some kind uneasiness surrounding recruiting in many parts of the admin and academic donors.

It’s crucial that the next AD continues that. Getting a roster builder is critically important when we finally get rid of JC especially because now you’re building a new roster almost yearly with all the transfers. As HJS said, the new AD has to be someone with some vision for planning/executing the basketball facility. That wasn’t Marty’s strong suit, but it’s also a reason that he’d probably be a good fit in a department that already has the bells and whistles in place and just needs to be energized.

It’s potentially tough to find someone who could go out and single handedly hire the replacement for Jerry since most rising star ADs come from places without hockey and are probably not hockey people themselves. There are plenty of people in the BC community who can help with that though, Jerry included.

It’s a better job than when Jarmond took it, hopefully we don’t kneecap ourselves but I’m really expecting it to be a punch in the dick.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon May 18, 2020 9:39 am

Fuck lacrosse and fuck rowing.

The next AD has to get eSports up and running. Think outside the box. Let's get that Ninja guy as our next AD
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Mon May 18, 2020 10:08 am

So much fucking stupid in this thread by you lax and hoops weirdos.

The notion that having more sports at BC is the reason we can't field competitive football and basketball teams or is so beyond fucktarded that I am not going to even explain why. I will say that cutting sports would have absolutely ZERO net effect on football / basketball competitiveness and would negatively impact the university's overall academic profile. And, I am going to leave it that.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:What were the last varsity sports to get the ax? I believe lax and wrestling?

IIRC, there were some epic brawls between the Wrestling Bros and the Hockey Bros during the early to mid-90s. You rooted for both sides to crack each others' heads. They both ranked highly on the douchebaggery scale.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 am

hansen {l Wrote}:So much fucking stupid in this thread by you lax and hoops weirdos.

The notion that having more sports at BC is the reason we can't field competitive football and basketball teams or is so beyond fucktarded that I am not going to even explain why. I will say that cutting sports would have absolutely ZERO net effect on football / basketball competitiveness and would negatively impact the university's overall academic profile. And, I am going to leave it that.

Serious question, how much office/admin space is required for each of these non-revenue sports? My point was about space and BC not having much of it. So if space opens for the revenue programs or they no longer have to share space, that could have a positive impact.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:So much fucking stupid in this thread by you lax and hoops weirdos.

Serious question, how much office/admin space is required for each of these non-revenue sports? My point was about space and BC not having much of it. So if space opens for the revenue programs or they no longer have to share space, that could have a positive impact.

Amazon Prime has a series "All Or Nothing," it's kind of like Hard Knocks. They did a season with Michigan recently and it is worth watching. BC is not incredibly far behind many of these schools, there just needs to be an investment. The IPF was a huge step in the right direction. Converting the gym on Pine Manor's campus into a basketball practice facility will be the next.

To your point though, I know the women's rowing offices were in Alumni, looking out at the field. I think in the same hallway where Jerry had an office.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Amazon Prime has a series "All Or Nothing," it's kind of like Hard Knocks. They did a season with Michigan recently and it is worth watching. BC is not incredibly far behind many of these schools, there just needs to be an investment. The IPF was a huge step in the right direction. Converting the gym on Pine Manor's campus into a basketball practice facility will be the next.

To your point though, I know the women's rowing offices were in Alumni, looking out at the field. I think in the same hallway where Jerry had an office.

If Pine Manor will be the location for the basketball facility, my only issue would be that the players can't walk there from campus to use it. They would need to take a bus. I'd rather use lower campus, but I think the only open spot would be the old rec plex unless they want to knock down another dorm or Robsham.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium