Marty

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Marty

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:UCLA is a challenging gig. Likely would have to be a long term move for his family. Can't hire any coaches for a while... will be spending most of the time shoring up the financials. I personally hate LA as a city (feel the opposite about Boston). That said, if he is making something like $5mm a year (I have no idea what is offered... just slotting him in between Chip and Cronin), he could afford Malibu or a real nice place in Santa Monica. Both areas are beautiful. And, especially Malibu, would be a nice place to raise a family (Santa Monica less so as you get some beach element with the Pier).

The beach element largely stays to the south in Venice. Santa Monica is not Malibu, but its still nice. Again, as long as you don't have to go anywhere in a car.

Going to the Westwood campus coming from the ocean isn't that bad of a commute at all. I'd take it over anything into Boston west of 95.

This comes down to where he sees his career. He moves to UCLA, he's going to stay put for a while. If he want the B10 or SEC, he should stay put at BC and move in a year or two. Look... maybe he wants something more permanent. I can certainly see how he may view UCLA as a better option. I could also see how someone would prefer to stay at BC long term. But, let's be real here... UCLA is not like he's leaving for UC Davis or URI. UCLA's athletic department brings in much more revenue than that of BC.

The Boston commute from the West is by far the easiest of the three directions. South is the worst. North not far behind. Boston is also worse at rush hour than almost any other city, but at every other time of the day, has no traffic relatively speaking. LA is terrible at 3 am.

MJ lives like 2 miles from campus. He is not getting on the Pike, 93, 128 or 3.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 15, 2020 12:26 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:thamel says bc is making a push to keep marty.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1261328496934170627

This is simple. If you are BC admin and you like what he has done, you match whatever UCLA is offering. If you think he has done a good (but not incredible) job, you thank him and wish him well. If that young talent keeps coming to you annually with new offers, eventually you may get tired of it and decide that he isn't worth the latest. But, how this plays out will say a lot about Marty and how BC views him.

The thing about hiring good, young talent is that they will be presented with other opportunities. That's a good thing because it allows you the option to keep a known quantity or move onto the next.

This would be an odd move for MJ and it would be a big loss for BC but I don't think anyone thought he was in for the long term.

This. I just was hoping a little longer and not to lose him to a dumpster fire like UCLA.

I don't see how UCLA is a dumpster fire. They are excellent at almost every (non-revenue) sport, which matters in the AD world. Football has underachieved, but we're not exactly lighting it up either. BC's non-revenue sports have largely been downright awful in the ACC (and we can include basketball in that as well). Fold in the fact that you can spend about 364 of 365 days a year outside...I must be missing something.

the athletic department generated a 20 million dollar loss in 2018-2019
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri May 15, 2020 12:27 pm

The whole thing is strange more because it complicates the trajectory to tOSU than because of the relative upside of UCLA/BC.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 12:27 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:MJ lives like 2 miles from campus. He is not getting on the Pike, 93, 128 or 3.

So... you're saying he would live in Brentwood.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri May 15, 2020 12:31 pm

when he was hired i thought he would stay for 5 years if he showed he could be successful running a p5 athletic dept.

3 years seems pretty quick to want to get out of dodge. something must have happened to make him want to do this.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 pm

could he be doing this to get a raise?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 12:40 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Something must have happened to make him want to do this.

Offers. That's what happened. Opportunities arise and these guys take them. They don't sit around and carefully plan the future like a roadmap. Remember, this is a guy who was passed over for a bunch of gigs for lesser candidates. He will move if he thinks it is a better job.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 15, 2020 12:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:Something must have happened to make him want to do this.

Offers. That's what happened. Opportunities arise and these guys take them. They don't sit around and carefully plan the future like a roadmap. Remember, this is a guy who was passed over for a bunch of gigs for lesser candidates. He will move if he thinks it is a better job.

I don't think UCLA is a prestigious job anymore. maybe 20-40 years ago.
athletic program lost 20 million in 2018-2019.
other than possibly more money and better weather, there is no advantage over the two jobs.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri May 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Marty isn't stupid. The AD game is all about beating expectations--nothing else. So Marty has just hired Hafley, which is seen as very good hire and will probably work out well. He has cover for not firing Christian because of the covid and BC's deserved reputation for retaining obviously bad hires to save a few dollars. if he can jump now to UCLA, all he has to do is focus on the financials--he has zero responsibility for what happens to Kelly or Cronin--he didn't hire them and he has the ready made excuse that he is taking over an Athletic Department in shambles. So all he has to do is work on the fundraising part of the equation. Even with all of the obvious political and economic issues in California, the fact is that UCLA has a wealthy alumni network that is considerable bigger than what BC has. All he has to do is shake that tree and make it rain a little bit--I think that is an easier gig and less fraught with peril for MJ than hiring a basketball coach with Leahy acting as a massive anchor against making a good hire. UCLA football hasn't beat SC since 2012, a time period in which USC has sucked on ice and will likely continue to suck at least for the next year or two as the Clay Helton disaster unfolds. If Kelly gets lucky just once after Marty's arrival, its a feather in his cap--he can peddle some bullshit about getting Kelly some additional support or. whatever.

Anyway, I hope he stays, but I won't be surprised if he goes to UCLA as they are at the bottom of a hole and it is going to be hard for things to get worse there.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Would prefer MJ to not go to UCLA. Damn, sucks if he did.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Lived in both cities, and UCLA is in a pretty damn nice area. Sure there's a severe homelessness problem in LA, but Westwood/Brentwood is not exactly the center of that, and there's plenty of beautiful neighborhoods close by that he could live in and not have to deal with traffic day in and day out. If you're young and rich like Marty, I can understand the appeal.

I still think he should stay at BC though.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Fri May 15, 2020 2:04 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Lived in both cities, and UCLA is in a pretty damn nice area. Sure there's a severe homelessness problem in LA, but Westwood/Brentwood is not exactly the center of that, and there's plenty of beautiful neighborhoods close by that he could live in and not have to deal with traffic day in and day out. If you're young and rich like Marty, I can understand the appeal.

Is he rich? I would’ve thought he’s well paid but not rolling in it.
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 2:11 pm

I get the impression the most of HJS' driving in LA is on Google Maps.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Fri May 15, 2020 2:12 pm

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:Lived in both cities, and UCLA is in a pretty damn nice area. Sure there's a severe homelessness problem in LA, but Westwood/Brentwood is not exactly the center of that, and there's plenty of beautiful neighborhoods close by that he could live in and not have to deal with traffic day in and day out. If you're young and rich like Marty, I can understand the appeal.

Not oceanfront in Malibu rich, or Bel Air rich, but Guerrero was making 7 figures.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 15, 2020 2:23 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:

Not oceanfront in Malibu rich, or Bel Air rich, but Guerrero was making 7 figures.

1.1 million does seem a lot for living in la la land.
how much is he making at BC... anyone know?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri May 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Most people I know that have moved to LA like it and tend to stay there a while. That seems like a decent enough anecdotal proxy.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri May 15, 2020 3:00 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:

1.1 million does seem a lot for living in la la land.
how much is he making at BC... anyone know?

correct, he can still live in many nice places.

the big money UCLA donors were pissed that the AD wasn't able to get Calipari to come out even after the boosters committed to ponying up a lot of dough and getting Cal immediately into the Bel Air Club.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri May 15, 2020 3:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I get the impression the most of HJS' driving in LA is on Google Maps.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I get the impression the most of HJS' driving in LA is on Google Maps.

I was thinking the same thing. Driving in LA is brutal even in short distances.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I’m betting teddy and eppy have never stepped foot inside a Vons.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 4:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I’m betting teddy and eppy have never stepped foot inside a Vons.

Didn't need to go grocery shopping, ate out on most of my trips out there. Highly recommend Boa. Another favorite, Mare, appears to have closed permanently.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri May 15, 2020 5:26 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

On the point about Malibu, a buddy of mine lived there with his family. It would take 10 minutes just to get to the bottom of the hill.

They don't live there anymore.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri May 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Marty isn't stupid. The AD game is all about beating expectations--nothing else. So Marty has just hired Hafley, which is seen as very good hire and will probably work out well.

At this point, we have no idea. He has never been a head football coach. This is the first time he has ever been in charge. We HOPE that it works out well, but we don't really know yet.

On a personal level, I like Hafley because with his "Get In" slogan, he wants us all to get exciting about BC (getting everyone involved) which demonstrates the enthusiasm and spirit for BC to win (and win NOW) that Addazio had PLUS he appears to have all the seriousness and mathematical/metric based professionalism that we got with O'Brien. We get both with Hafley. We haven't had both since we had Jagodzinski. That is 12 years. Lets hope for his sake (and ours) that he does in fact "close" with recruiting classes we haven't seen since the early 2000s.

But your point is valid. It appears that MJ did very well with Hafley. And appearances are what matters most if he is entertaining offers to go elsewhere.

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:He has cover for not firing Christian because of the covid and BC's deserved reputation for retaining obviously bad hires to save a few dollars. if he can jump now to UCLA, all he has to do is focus on the financials--he has zero responsibility for what happens to Kelly or Cronin--he didn't hire them and he has the ready made excuse that he is taking over an Athletic Department in shambles. So all he has to do is work on the fundraising part of the equation.

Agreed. Its all upside for MJ now, the perfect time to bolt for UCLA. Like you said, it appears he did great with Hafley and if the BOT at UCLA feels the same way, that is a feather is his cap. All he has to do is raise the money. MJ may never be in such a strong position (as he is right now) for such an undertaking as UCLA. I would hate to lose him but I wouldn't blame him if he left.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 pm

It takes a certain level of BC self loathing to see this as "bolting" to UCLA. The PAC 10 is largely garbage in the revenue sports, and that program blows right now. If he wants OSU down the road, which he should, he should bear the fruit of the Hafley hire and nail the basketball hire next year. Gene Smith is 61 and has been at OSU for 15 years. Assuming OSU maintains success, that could be Marty's job in 5-6 years. If he sees BC as too small time (which it is not, but still) of a program, he needs to pick the right interim job. UCLA isn't it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 15, 2020 6:10 pm

By the way, I could be completely mistaken, but I don't believe Marty's ability to raise cash is a serious question. He'll do fine there wherever. The question is the optics of the career path on the field side of the job, which is 25% of the job and 90% of the visibility.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri May 15, 2020 6:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It takes a certain level of BC self loathing to see this as "bolting" to UCLA. The PAC 10 is largely garbage in the revenue sports, and that program blows right now. If he wants OSU down the road, which he should, he should bear the fruit of the Hafley hire and nail the basketball hire next year. Gene Smith is 61 and has been at OSU for 15 years. Assuming OSU maintains success, that could be Marty's job in 5-6 years. If he sees BC as too small time (which it is not, but still) of a program, he needs to pick the right interim job. UCLA isn't it.

Yeah, this is not the UCLA job for 20 years ago. And what hires can he make to shine? And how is he going to pay off 20 million of debt? The job is trash right now, I would not take it if I was in his situation.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Fri May 15, 2020 10:45 pm

yurch10 {l Wrote}:And the UNLV AD Reed-Francois just withdrew from consideration.

This isn't looking good. Any chance we can fire Jimmy C asap and have MJ hire a hoops coach in the couple days before he leaves?

Trying to figure out how it was her job to lose in the first place.

The only thing that she seemed to accomplish so far is keeping Tony Sanchez around long enough so that all of those Fertitta checks could clear.

When this thread first popped up, I though she may have a nice resume with a couple of smart hires. Chris Beard in March 2016 for men's hoops. Ofcoarse 3 weeks later the Texas Tech job opened up and it was the only school in his contract with UNLV that he could exercise an escape clause for.
Turns out that was the AD before Desiree got here

The hiring of local HS FB coach Tony Sanchez from Bishop Gorman, after he had built that program to a national power, wasnt about rebuilding a FB program. It was about Sanchez's ability to get the Fertitta's to pony up huge dollars for facilities. Turns out that hire was before desiree's time at UNLV too.

All she's done is fire those guys and hire an assistant from oregon as the new FB coach and some guy no one has ever heard of out of the Dakotas for hoops.

Im not sure if she even had anything to do with UNLV FB being able to play at the new Raiders Dome on the strip.

Seems crazy that she was UCLA's top choice and it seems even crazier that she is a UCLA alum and wants to stay in Vegas.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri May 15, 2020 10:54 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:And the UNLV AD Reed-Francois just withdrew from consideration.

This isn't looking good. Any chance we can fire Jimmy C asap and have MJ hire a hoops coach in the couple days before he leaves?

The only thing that she seemed to accomplish so far is keeping Tony Sanchez around long enough so that all of those Fertitta checks could clear.

When this thread first popped up, I though she may have a nice resume with a couple of smart hires. Chris Beard in March 2016 for men's hoops. Ofcoarse 3 weeks later the Texas Tech job opened up and it was the only school in his contract with UNLV that he could exercise an escape clause for.

The hiring of local HS FB coach Tony Sanchez from Bishop Gorman, after he had built that program to a national power, wasnt about rebuilding a FB program. It was about Sanchez's ability to get the Fertitta's to pony up huge dollars for facilities. Turns out that hire was before desiree's time at UNLV too.

All she's done is fire those guys and hire an assistant from oregon as the new FB coach and some guy no one has ever heard of out of the Dakotas for hoops.

Im not sure if she even had anything to do with UNLV FB being able to play at the new Raiders Dome on the strip.

Seems crazy that she was UCLA's top choice and it seems even crazier that she is a UCLA alum and wants to stay in Vegas.

I wonder if she withdrew her name because she knew she wasn't going to get it.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat May 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Hopefully people in power will learn from this that having employees that are attractive to others is a good problem not a bad problem.

We’ll see. Wouldn’t be shocked if we went bates 2.0 route.

Good luck to Marty. Don’t think this is the right route to get to Ohio state / Michigan etc but he may not want that. West coast could be his dream
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat May 16, 2020 12:38 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

I wonder if she withdrew her name because she knew she wasn't going to get it.

It definitely looks that way.

Jarmond was always a short timer. He agreed to let Leahy be the ultimate decision maker where others asked for full control and in return he got to skip the level of being AD at the Fordhams of the world going right to a Power 5.

From the day he arrived it was just a matter of time before he left. He tried to get the USC job before even making a major coaching hire.

He got overruled on firing Addazio last year and overruled on firing JC this year. How long would you want to work under those conditions when you don't have to?

The missing piece of his puzzle was have you made a major hire? Yes, and it has been very well received.

Bye Martin. We had some nice conversations and people kept asking why I was not more enthusiastic about him and his "energy". It was because he was not really worth my time or effort.

Hopefully, UCLA just needs power bars and a fruit grab and go station. The sum total of Martin's contributions to BC! (just kidding, he was fine) :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium