New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Los on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm

I came here to watch this board explode. :popcorn
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Not enough people care for anything to explode.

That said, I’m glad Marty is continuing the spirit of social distancing by quarantining the basketball program from any fans for another year.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:03 pm

HJS wrote:Not enough people care for anything to explode.

That said, I’m glad Marty is continuing the spirit of social distancing by quarantining the basketball program from any fans for another year.

I’m probably the most diehard on the board (I still went to about every home game) and I just don’t care at this point.

The Langford deal makes me really nervous next year
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby sparky on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm

I've suddenly gone from thinking that players should be paid to fans should be paid.

How can anybody who is into this team NOT consider just checking out of following this team for a while.
sparky
n00b

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Ho Lee Fuk

I really thought Christian was done.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Looking forward to another year of exciting basketball!

Steff Mitchell (PBUH) for All America!
Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
claver2010 wrote:i wonder how much the impending recession + possibility of no college football season (hence limited tv $$) had on this

thamel wrote an article on this today

@julianbenbow
Boston College will keep head coach Jim Christian. BC finished with a losing record for the fifth time in Christian's six seasons. AD Martin Jarmond said, “There is so much uncertainty right now with everything. You need to be steady and you need to have calm in uncertain times.”

@julianbenbow
Jarmond and Christian met face-to-face this morning. (They stayed six feet apart and used hand sanitizer when they left).

@julianbenbow
They both expressed their outlook on the program. Jarmond gave his evaluation and expectations. Christian laid out the ways he felt the program could be better supported.

I get it, but this is very disappointing.

Jarmond didn't give him a contract extension did he?

I guess (now) tre will be depriving us of his presence for at least a year.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:05 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:Not enough people care for anything to explode.

I’m probably the most diehard on the board (I still went to about every home game) and I just don’t care at this point.

The Langford deal makes me really nervous next year

What do you mean by "the Langford deal?"
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:35 pm

No P5 schools are making changes because they’re worried about lower revenues next year.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm

BC923 wrote:No P5 schools are making changes because they’re worried about lower revenues next year.

Yup. His retention is completely understandable under the circumstances.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:29 pm

MilitantEagle wrote:
BC923 wrote:No P5 schools are making changes because they’re worried about lower revenues next year.

Completely disagree. He should’ve been fired after they lost to Pitt in the ACCT last year by about 30
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
MilitantEagle wrote:

Completely disagree. He should’ve been fired after they lost to Pitt in the ACCT last year by about 30

Not talking about last year. I am talking about the circumstances on March 23, 2020 when the decision to keep him was announced. For all we know, BC will have reduced revenues in 20-21 because of the virus. It's a tough spot.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm

MilitantEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
MilitantEagle wrote:

Not talking about last year. I am talking about the circumstances on March 23, 2020 when the decision to keep him was announced. For all we know, BC will have reduced revenues in 20-21 because of the virus. It's a tough spot.

so instead they GUARANTEE they have reduced revenue by keeping the losingest coach in the conference? that doesn't seem like a sound decision either
congratulations to hansen... gayest poster for the 10th year in a row
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
MilitantEagle wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
MilitantEagle wrote:

so instead they GUARANTEE they have reduced revenue by keeping the losingest coach in the conference? that doesn't seem like a sound decision either

Since you are an accountant, you could probably tell me more about the challenges with the upcoming budget and committing a large sum of money to a new coach when revenues are uncertain. One can't even assume the football season, the main source of revenues, is guaranteed at this point.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Well, at least I can ignore basketball for another year. Cowardly move by Marty. And spare me the uncertain budget bullshit. Even with the Chinese Virus Economic Implosion BC is still sitting on 3 billion (instead of 3.5 billion). Even if next season was going to be cancelled—which it will not—they still should have shit canned Jimmy MAC as a matter of principle.

We are such a second rate, small-timey athletic program burdened by cowardly leadership from the top down. I guess Marty is fine with this fiasco. They should just play the games in Power Gym and save the trouble of keeping the lights on in Conte. That will save them some money in uncertain times as well.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:02 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:Well, at least I can ignore basketball for another year. Cowardly move by Marty. And spare me the uncertain budget bullshit. Even with the Chinese Virus Economic Implosion BC is still sitting on 3 billion (instead of 3.5 billion). Even if next season was going to be cancelled—which it will not—they still should have shit canned Jimmy MAC as a matter of principle.

We are such a second rate, small-timey athletic program burdened by cowardly leadership from the top down. I guess Marty is fine with this fiasco. They should just play the games in Power Gym and save the trouble of keeping the lights on in Conte. That will save them some money in uncertain times as well.

They can't use the endowment money for whatever they want.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 am

Correct. They can’t do massive capital projects like closing in the stadium corners, but they certainly can utilize it to make up for a budget shortfall for an underfunded department—and yes, that includes athletics.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 am

Dick Rosenthal wrote:We are such a second rate, small-timey athletic program burdened by cowardly leadership from the top down. I guess Marty is fine with this fiasco. They should just play the games in Power Gym and save the trouble of keeping the lights on in Conte. That will save them some money in uncertain times as well.

It's really this (including the suggestion of playing Power Gym)
7-wins... and lovin’ it
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 am

MilitantEagle wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:Well, at least I can ignore basketball for another year. Cowardly move by Marty. And spare me the uncertain budget bullshit. Even with the Chinese Virus Economic Implosion BC is still sitting on 3 billion (instead of 3.5 billion). Even if next season was going to be cancelled—which it will not—they still should have shit canned Jimmy MAC as a matter of principle.

They can't use the endowment money for whatever they want.

i wish more people shared this fact back when we had a mysterious stranger building all sorts of lego models of things that could never possibly happen and complaining the bc wasn't spending restricted endowment money it was not allowed to spend.

that said, the earnings from the $3 billion that can be spent on shit like a new basketball coach would be available to spend on shit like a new basketball coach

kinda like angry dick said in his retort above
congratulations to hansen... gayest poster for the 10th year in a row
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:22 pm

shaka is staying put at texas
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy