New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Los on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm

I came here to watch this board explode. :popcorn
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Not enough people care for anything to explode.

That said, I’m glad Marty is continuing the spirit of social distancing by quarantining the basketball program from any fans for another year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Not enough people care for anything to explode.

That said, I’m glad Marty is continuing the spirit of social distancing by quarantining the basketball program from any fans for another year.

I’m probably the most diehard on the board (I still went to about every home game) and I just don’t care at this point.

The Langford deal makes me really nervous next year
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby sparky on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm

I've suddenly gone from thinking that players should be paid to fans should be paid.

How can anybody who is into this team NOT consider just checking out of following this team for a while.
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Ho Lee Fuk

I really thought Christian was done.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Looking forward to another year of exciting basketball!

Steff Mitchell (PBUH) for All America!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:i wonder how much the impending recession + possibility of no college football season (hence limited tv $$) had on this

thamel wrote an article on this today

@julianbenbow
Boston College will keep head coach Jim Christian. BC finished with a losing record for the fifth time in Christian's six seasons. AD Martin Jarmond said, “There is so much uncertainty right now with everything. You need to be steady and you need to have calm in uncertain times.”

@julianbenbow
Jarmond and Christian met face-to-face this morning. (They stayed six feet apart and used hand sanitizer when they left).

@julianbenbow
They both expressed their outlook on the program. Jarmond gave his evaluation and expectations. Christian laid out the ways he felt the program could be better supported.

I get it, but this is very disappointing.

Jarmond didn't give him a contract extension did he?

I guess (now) tre will be depriving us of his presence for at least a year.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Bunratty on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:05 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Not enough people care for anything to explode.

I’m probably the most diehard on the board (I still went to about every home game) and I just don’t care at this point.

The Langford deal makes me really nervous next year

What do you mean by "the Langford deal?"
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:35 pm

No P5 schools are making changes because they’re worried about lower revenues next year.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:No P5 schools are making changes because they’re worried about lower revenues next year.

Yup. His retention is completely understandable under the circumstances.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:29 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:No P5 schools are making changes because they’re worried about lower revenues next year.

Completely disagree. He should’ve been fired after they lost to Pitt in the ACCT last year by about 30
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Completely disagree. He should’ve been fired after they lost to Pitt in the ACCT last year by about 30

Not talking about last year. I am talking about the circumstances on March 23, 2020 when the decision to keep him was announced. For all we know, BC will have reduced revenues in 20-21 because of the virus. It's a tough spot.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Not talking about last year. I am talking about the circumstances on March 23, 2020 when the decision to keep him was announced. For all we know, BC will have reduced revenues in 20-21 because of the virus. It's a tough spot.

so instead they GUARANTEE they have reduced revenue by keeping the losingest coach in the conference? that doesn't seem like a sound decision either
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

so instead they GUARANTEE they have reduced revenue by keeping the losingest coach in the conference? that doesn't seem like a sound decision either

Since you are an accountant, you could probably tell me more about the challenges with the upcoming budget and committing a large sum of money to a new coach when revenues are uncertain. One can't even assume the football season, the main source of revenues, is guaranteed at this point.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Well, at least I can ignore basketball for another year. Cowardly move by Marty. And spare me the uncertain budget bullshit. Even with the Chinese Virus Economic Implosion BC is still sitting on 3 billion (instead of 3.5 billion). Even if next season was going to be cancelled—which it will not—they still should have shit canned Jimmy MAC as a matter of principle.

We are such a second rate, small-timey athletic program burdened by cowardly leadership from the top down. I guess Marty is fine with this fiasco. They should just play the games in Power Gym and save the trouble of keeping the lights on in Conte. That will save them some money in uncertain times as well.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:02 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Well, at least I can ignore basketball for another year. Cowardly move by Marty. And spare me the uncertain budget bullshit. Even with the Chinese Virus Economic Implosion BC is still sitting on 3 billion (instead of 3.5 billion). Even if next season was going to be cancelled—which it will not—they still should have shit canned Jimmy MAC as a matter of principle.

We are such a second rate, small-timey athletic program burdened by cowardly leadership from the top down. I guess Marty is fine with this fiasco. They should just play the games in Power Gym and save the trouble of keeping the lights on in Conte. That will save them some money in uncertain times as well.

They can't use the endowment money for whatever they want.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 am

Correct. They can’t do massive capital projects like closing in the stadium corners, but they certainly can utilize it to make up for a budget shortfall for an underfunded department—and yes, that includes athletics.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:We are such a second rate, small-timey athletic program burdened by cowardly leadership from the top down. I guess Marty is fine with this fiasco. They should just play the games in Power Gym and save the trouble of keeping the lights on in Conte. That will save them some money in uncertain times as well.

It's really this (including the suggestion of playing Power Gym)
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Well, at least I can ignore basketball for another year. Cowardly move by Marty. And spare me the uncertain budget bullshit. Even with the Chinese Virus Economic Implosion BC is still sitting on 3 billion (instead of 3.5 billion). Even if next season was going to be cancelled—which it will not—they still should have shit canned Jimmy MAC as a matter of principle.

They can't use the endowment money for whatever they want.

i wish more people shared this fact back when we had a mysterious stranger building all sorts of lego models of things that could never possibly happen and complaining the bc wasn't spending restricted endowment money it was not allowed to spend.

that said, the earnings from the $3 billion that can be spent on shit like a new basketball coach would be available to spend on shit like a new basketball coach

kinda like angry dick said in his retort above
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:22 pm

shaka is staying put at texas
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:31 am

Not sure if anyone reads the Three Man Weave blog. It is a hit or miss proposition—they have some really good analytical stuff from time to time and some really dumb opinion pieces from time to time. Anyway, they did a ranking of every D1 Coach based on a variety of factors including expectations vs performance, program norms over a 50 year period, etc. They utilize Kenpom and other rankings in the mix to set criteria. Not sure what I think of it, but without comment, Jimmy MAC comes in at 221 ahead of Danny Manning at 248, but behind Josh Pastner at 219. Our previous coach, Beeker, came in at 198 despite recent success at Penn and historical success well beyond the norm at Cornell.

Some other names that have been mentioned on various wish lists here or programs of interest include Tommy Amaker (165), Mike Hopkins (135), Bill Coen (130), King Rice (114), Ed Cooley (88), John Becker (77), Will Brown (76), Shaka Smart (74), Mark Schmidt (72), Bobby Hurley (63), Danny Hurley (55), Bob McKillop (38), Jim Boeheim (37), Bruce Pearl (16), Roy Williams (8), Jay Wright (7), Coach K (6), Tony Bennett (1).

They acknowledge the problem with Roy Williams being ranked that high—they had him at 153 on a pure performance metric and a seasonal expectations ranking, but the multiple National Championships in a relatively concentrated period of time vs the historical reality that Dean Smith is biggest underachiever in coaching history buoyed his ranking substantially.

Williams aside, I’d have had Jay Wright at 1, but Bennett isn’t that controversial. I’d have McKillop significantly higher, but a lot of these guys fall in a range where I’d have them. There seem to be more wild misses in the Top 20 that the rest of the rankings.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Did the coronavirus completely miss North Carolina? I ask because Wake Forest did what we weren’t able.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ny-manning
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:32 pm

and it cost a smaller school more for him to go away

mj has completely fucked up decisions around the basketball program over the last 14 months
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:43 pm

Manning was getting paid more than JC and his teams the last couple of years were worse. At Wake, recruiting was trending downward and players transferring out were much better than those coming in, in contrast to BC where the opposite is closer to the truth.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:49 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Manning was getting paid more than JC and his teams the last couple of years were worse. At Wake, recruiting was trending downward and players transferring out were much better than those coming in, in contrast to BC where the opposite is closer to the truth.

Manning’s buyout was also ridiculously high. They’re both terrible you’re splitting hairs between Manning and JC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:25 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:and it cost a smaller school more for him to go away

mj has completely fucked up decisions around the basketball program over the last 14 months

Very soon after being hired, Marty made the decision to move on from Daz as quickly as possible. He also decided that he really liked JC and (with proper support) thought he could be the long term answer. Let’s not forget, Jarmond gave Jimmy Mac a very real extension thinking that we turned the corner by getting an NIT invite. That, more than anything, has been the mistake that Marty has had to live with. Corona gave him an easy excuse.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Very soon after being hired, Marty made the decision to move on from Daz as quickly as possible. He also decided that he really liked JC and (with proper support) thought he could be the long term answer. Let’s not forget, Jarmond gave Jimmy Mac a very real extension thinking that we turned the corner by getting an NIT invite. That, more than anything, has been the mistake that Marty has had to live with. Corona gave him an easy excuse.

We don't entirely know what is going on behind the scenes. Supposedly, BC had feelers out for Beilein and he had no interest. I'm sure Jarmond had some top targets and perhaps they said no way. The next hire may be the most important hire in the program's history and it needs to be as close as possible to a slam dunk hire. No point in blowing it up again for another MAC level coach or some random assistant.

Also, the trend for the basketball program both in recruiting and results, while ever so slight and a little bumpy, has been mostly upward. 6 wins in the first three years and 19 in the last three (with two extra games). Certainly not amazing and I'm not defending MJ's decision or JC, just saying that you can see the rationale if certain assumptions are being made.

ACC record
4-14
0-18
2-16
7-11
5-13
7-13
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby thebs19 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

We don't entirely know what is going on behind the scenes. Supposedly, BC had feelers out for Beilein and he had no interest. I'm sure Jarmond had some top targets and perhaps they said no way. The next hire may be the most important hire in the program's history and it needs to be as close as possible to a slam dunk hire. No point in blowing it up again for another MAC level coach or some random assistant.

Also, the trend for the basketball program both in recruiting and results, while ever so slight and a little bumpy, has been mostly upward. 6 wins in the first three years and 19 in the last three (with two extra games). Certainly not amazing and I'm not defending MJ's decision or JC, just saying that you can see the rationale if certain assumptions are being made.

ACC record
4-14
0-18
2-16
7-11
5-13
7-13

This has very little to do with an improving BC, and more to do with the ACC coming down a level where bad teams can steal wins (versus 5 years ago or so). The only team in the list above that is really any different than the others is that 2017-2018 team, which with 2 NBA guards got all the way to a "top of the lower quarter of the ACC" finish.

This year's "7-13" is meaningless without context. This wasn't a better team than last years or even the 2-16 team from 2016-2017.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:31 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

ACC record
4-14
0-18
2-16
7-11
5-13
7-13

This has very little to do with an improving BC, and more to do with the ACC coming down a level where bad teams can steal wins (versus 5 years ago or so). The only team in the list above that is really any different than the others is that 2017-2018 team, which with 2 NBA guards got all the way to a "top of the lower quarter of the ACC" finish.

This year's "7-13" is meaningless without context. This wasn't a better team than last years or even the 2-16 team from 2016-2017.

Relative position matters too. They were middle of the pack, albeit barely. It was not a top year for the ACC, but we don't know how the five teams were going to do in the tournament. FSU was loaded and I thought they had a good chance to win it all. The roster on the 2-16 team, aside from Robinson and Bowman, was pretty bad. The team next year will have more depth than in years past if everybody is healthy.

They also had a couple of good moments during the season. Without two starters, they beat the defending national champions. They went on the road and won at UNC when they had their lottery pick return. But the out of conference losses, and the end of the season were brutal.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Are people really defending the recent record of performance of the basketball team?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum