New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:27 am

borzello is usually pretty well informed (not a whole lot of CONTENT here though)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... g-carousel

1. In general, it's fairly quiet right now. Only two or three high-major jobs are overwhelmingly likely to open, and there probably are only 12 to 14 other jobs around the country that look like locks to make a change. Of course, there are going to be other moves made, and we will see some domino effects -- but right now, it looks like it could be a quieter carousel than in recent years.

4. John Beilein will be the elephant in the room for most searches over the next several weeks. Even before Beilein stepped down from his post as head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers, there was buzz among industry sources that the former Michigan head coach was going to be in the mix for high-major openings this spring. And then he became available earlier than expected. Now, there's no guarantee Beilein returns to college coaching -- he's 67 years old and has been coaching for 45 years. His son, Patrick, left his head-coaching job at Niagara before the season, citing personal reasons. And it's unlikely Beilein is going to want to take over a rebuilding job -- which would describe most potential openings. But look for him to be linked to Texas if that position opens, while some of the ACC openings (Boston College, Wake Forest) and even Minnesota could be appealing.

10. What's going on at Minnesota? Richard Pitino signed a contract extension after last season, when he led the Golden Gophers to the second round of the NCAA tournament. But this season has been a different story. They have really struggled in Big Ten play and now look unlikely to get to the NCAA tournament barring a shocking run in the conference tournament. It seems harsh to fire Pitino at this point, although his buyout is a reasonable $2 million. Pitino could also look to get out on his own, with Boston College a potential landing spot for him -- although the Pitino name in Boston generates mixed feelings, at best. If Minnesota fired him, he could also decide to take his buyout money and enjoy a year off. He's only 37, after all.

11. The only two jobs I feel reasonably confident will open are Boston College and Wake Forest. Jim Christian had a promising campaign in 2017-18 when Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman were in Chestnut Hill, but the Eagles have never reached the NCAA tournament in Christian's six seasons at Boston College and will finish below .500 this season. Meanwhile, Danny Manning is also finishing up his sixth season in the ACC -- and despite a reported eight-figure buyout and contract until 2025, he's also likely to move on. The Demon Deacons have shown some flashes this season, but it'll be his fifth time in six years finishing below .500 in the league.

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:17 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:borzello is usually pretty well informed (not a whole lot of CONTENT here though)

Meanwhile, Danny Manning is also finishing up his sixth season in the ACC -- and despite a reported eight-figure buyout and contract until 2025, he's also likely to move on. The Demon Deacons have shown some flashes this season, but it'll be his fifth time in six years finishing below .500 in the league.

What in the hell?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:48 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:borzello is usually pretty well informed (not a whole lot of CONTENT here though)

Meanwhile, Danny Manning is also finishing up his sixth season in the ACC -- and despite a reported eight-figure buyout and contract until 2025, he's also likely to move on. The Demon Deacons have shown some flashes this season, but it'll be his fifth time in six years finishing below .500 in the league.

What in the hell?

I believe Manning's buyout is in the neighborhood of $12-$13 million.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:49 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A-List:
- Thad Matta (Ohio St formerly) (this is health dependent)
- Kevin Willard (Seton Hall) (this would be high on my list)
- Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) (also very high on my list)
- Ed Cooley (Providence) (I'm not nuts about this idea, but he would do well here)
- Wojo (Marquette) (He's winning at a school very similar to BC)

B-List:
- Wes Miller (UNCG) (He's young, has ACC connections and UNCG was a train-wreck before he turned it around)
- Mark Schmidt (Bonnies) (He's really well connected & the Bonnies were a total teardown job also)
- Eric Musselman (Nevada) (Doubt he's coming East for this job, but he's a good coach)

None of these names would be a program defining moment. However, I'd be happy to give any of the first 6 names listed a shot. That said, I doubt any of the first 5 would take the BC job. That would leave us with Wes Miller... who I think is actually a very good choice.

If Buzz would leave Marquette for VT, any of those guys would leave their current destination for BC. I added Shaka Smart to the A-List also, he's going to be fired shortly and is a good coach.

In my opinion, Shaka would be a program-defining moment. I think he is an excellent coach who would win with players that he'd land at BC. However, I think he's being retained by Texas. It is a shame though. BC would be all over hiring a guy who is being financially supported by another program.

Jeff Goodman talking BC today...
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 9944291328
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 9697017856
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 3050494977

Since folks like to pretend that we are going to make a move, I will bump this post from last year.

I continue to believe that this next hire needs to be a program defining moment. We have been deplorable since Skinner was fired. Another misstep makes us irrelevant for multiple generations (something that we won't come back from). I am all-in on Beilein and Shaka. But, to me, Wes Miller has a resume very similar to Bernabei-McNamee. For the record, I'd be psyched if that was ultimate outcome. If we missed on Beilein, Smart and Miller... I'd give Bob Richey and Wojo and Bobby Hurley a look.

How is Wes Miller any different than Donahue or Christian? Going the mid-major route makes me really nervous with the state of this basketball program.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

What in the hell?

1. LOL
B. His agent should be arrested for elder (Ron Wellman) abuse.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:How is Wes Miller any different than Donahue or Christian? Going the mid-major route makes me really nervous with the state of this basketball program.

It's not really. However, unlike the other two, Miller played major college basketball (at UNC). He'd also be a decade younger than either Don or JC when he landed the job (meaning that Don and JC were fully-baked... we got what we bought where Miller might be a growth opportunity).

The proven commodity is Beilein or Smart. Anything else is gonna be a crap shoot. You support Eisley. How well is he going to recruit since being in the college game for only a few months? How is he going to be as a head coach (assembling staff, running a system) when he's never done it? BC is either landing someone with significant questions... or will shock the world with a coach that is sought after other programs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:01 pm

I'd take Eisley over Wes Miller. And I am not enamored of Shaka Smart. I think he is the poor man's Anthony Grant--a very good mid-major coach when he gets to coach at a mid-major that has much better facilities and resources than most of the rest of the conference. Smart should wait until ZooMass cans Matt McCall and then he can go back where he belongs. There is no reason UMASS should be at the bottom of the A10.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:How is Wes Miller any different than Donahue or Christian? Going the mid-major route makes me really nervous with the state of this basketball program.

It's not really. However, unlike the other two, Miller played major college basketball (at UNC). He'd also be a decade younger than either Don or JC when he landed the job (meaning that Don and JC were fully-baked... we got what we bought where Miller might be a growth opportunity).

The proven commodity is Beilein or Smart. Anything else is gonna be a crap shoot. You support Eisley. How well is he going to recruit since being in the college game for only a few months? How is he going to be as a head coach (assembling staff, running a system) when he's never done it? BC is either landing someone with significant questions... or will shock the world with a coach that is sought after other programs.

I think I'd rather keep JC than hire Miller or Eisley. I just don't see the difference.

If you can get a brand name (Beilein, Smart, Kevin Willard, etc.) then make the move. I think it would really benefit BC to announce a new coach at the same time as announcing a new basketball facility. One without the other won't do any good.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I think I'd rather keep JC than hire Miller or Eisley. I just don't see the difference.

If you can get a brand name (Beilein, Smart, Kevin Willard, etc.) then make the move. I think it would really benefit BC to announce a new coach at the same time as announcing a new basketball facility. One without the other won't do any good.

I generally agree. But, I think you will need to get the facility announced first in order to land the brand name coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Can one or both of you explain why Smart is a good hire? He took over a VCU franchise that was already a power and had huge advantages in terms of facilities, recent historical success and recruiting and while he kept that train running, so have the two coaches that followed him. At Texas, where he has advantages over almost the entire Big 12 (Kansas being the only exception), he has not performed well. From that resume, how is he a "big name" hire or someone we should expect to succeed?
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Can one or both of you explain why Smart is a good hire? He took over a VCU franchise that was already a power and had huge advantages in terms of facilities, recent historical success and recruiting and while he kept that train running, so have the two coaches that followed him. At Texas, where he has advantages over almost the entire Big 12 (Kansas being the only exception), he has not performed well. From that resume, how is he a "big name" hire or someone we should expect to succeed?

Agreed. Please no Smart
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:40 pm

The people who think Shaka Smart is below us are going to be so, so disappointed again when they see what we end up with.

Shaka Smart is the reach candidate, gentlemen.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:The people who think Shaka Smart is below us are going to be so, so disappointed again when they see what we end up with.

Shaka Smart is the reach candidate, gentlemen.

I have little doubt that I will be disappointed with whomever we hire, especially since I was pleased with the Hafley hire, I just assume that basketball will be a clunker. Just pointing out that Shaka Smart's foray into P5 basketball has not gone well and the only place he has had success was a mid-major power that Anthony Grant built for him.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Shaka is conflicting. He has big recruiting success at the major level, and more success than JC has had at both mid major (the A10 is good enough where they aren’t far out of major level) and major level. He’s young. His price tag gives me pause.

If it’s not Beilein or a splash name - just stick with JC.

Don’t think they make a splash hire after they made one in football.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:24 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Shaka is conflicting. He has big recruiting success at the major level, and more success than JC has had at both mid major (the A10 is good enough where they aren’t far out of major level) and major level. He’s young. His price tag gives me pause.

I think any scenario where Jarmond just sticks with JC is pretty much a non-starter with the minions at EO.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:14 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Shaka is conflicting. He has big recruiting success at the major level, and more success than JC has had at both mid major (the A10 is good enough where they aren’t far out of major level) and major level. He’s young. His price tag gives me pause.

I think any scenario where Jarmond just sticks with JC is pretty much a non-starter with the minions at EO.

As someone who invests far too much time and money in this basketball program I disagree. If you’re going to go hire some hot mid-major coach just keep JC. If you want to play with the big boys and hire a Smart or Beilein then ditch him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:17 pm

I think the WBB hire showed that Jarmond can pick well and knows basketball. The question will be if the combination of the resources available and the desirability of job are enough to make the candidate pool include any worthwhile names.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:27 pm

There is zero reason to keep JC.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is zero reason to keep JC.

If you’re going to hire Bill Coen or something just keep JC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 pm

So... everyone is on the same page as it relates to hiring Beilein or Jay Wright or similar homerun, never-happen, program-altering coaches. If Marty can land one, no amount of money is too much. The real question is what to do when you can’t land that.

I view the next level to be guys like Shaka Smart, Wojo, Bobby Hurley, Richard Pitino, Mike Hopkins, Kevin Willard, Thad Matta and Ed Cooley. Each are probably more expensive than they are worth. Each come with some question marks. But, each would be viewed as a strong hire for BC. Each are also young enough (except Cooley and Matta) to grow in the role.

The next level is where most think we’d be fishing. This is the sea of unknowns. Do you go for young, unprovens (like Wes Miller or Bob Richey) or do you go for the boring (like Bill Coen, John Becker or JT3) or the unproven alum (Eisley, Dudley or Hinnant)? I don’t think eppy is off the rails to suggest that he’d rather live with another year of losing with Jimmy Mac than be saddle with another 6 years of irrelevance with a mistake from this category.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is zero reason to keep JC.

If you’re going to hire Bill Coen or something just keep JC

BC is not permitted to hire Bill Coen. He belongs right where he is.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:49 pm

The guy that hired Hafley is not hiring Bill Coen. Christ, where have you people been?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:So... everyone is on the same page as it relates to hiring Beilein or Jay Wright or similar homerun, never-happen, program-altering coaches. If Marty can land one, no amount of money is too much. The real question is what to do when you can’t land that.

I view the next level to be guys like Shaka Smart, Wojo, Bobby Hurley, Richard Pitino, Mike Hopkins, Kevin Willard, Thad Matta and Ed Cooley. Each are probably more expensive than they are worth. Each come with some question marks. But, each would be viewed as a strong hire for BC. Each are also young enough (except Cooley and Matta) to grow in the role.

The next level is where most think we’d be fishing. This is the sea of unknowns. Do you go for young, unprovens (like Wes Miller or Bob Richey) or do you go for the boring (like Bill Coen, John Becker or JT3)

Coen has taken my alma mater into March Madness just twice. He's 0-for-2. We almost beat Notre Dame in 2015 but we got our asses totally kicked by Kansas last year. On a good year, my Huskies win 23. On a bad year, 15. I think you guys want better than that.

I am perfectly happy and content with Coen. I don't want him going anywhere. Every year we have at least one-chance-in-three of winning the conference and going the NCAAs. We never had anything like that until we had Coen.

That said if Coen does take us to the NCAAs (probably not this year) and can actually WIN a game or two, I think some of you might be singing a different tune. I think then you'd be more enthusiastic to get him. But for right now, no.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The guy that hired Hafley is not hiring Bill Coen. Christ, where have you people been?

The guy who hired Hafley extended Jim Christian. Christ, where have you been?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:32 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The guy that hired Hafley is not hiring Bill Coen. Christ, where have you people been?

The guy who hired Hafley extended Jim Christian. Christ, where have you been?

It's the above.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 am

JC isn't Spaziani-ing the program at the very least
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:00 am

enough with the wojo bullshit. fuck that guy right in the ear. i feel similarly about the hurley family but might be able to hold my nose and tolerate one of them... but if that floor slapping homohumper wojo comes to campus to impregnate half the mens bball team, i'll send danny ferry to kick each one of your respective asses and then pound christian laettner anally over your bleeding crumple of a body

don't think i won't do it... and it will start with mo'j
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:27 am

Sounds like TRE is upset that I didn't mention his preferred candidate... Niagara's current head coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:38 am

The last time Shaka Smart was out of the first round of the NCAA tourney was 2013, where he lost in the second round. He's been living on the Final Four appearance for a while now.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:50 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:JC isn't Spaziani-ing the program at the very least

Spaz ACC Winning % - 41%
JC ACC Winning % - 23% (including an 0-18 season)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum