2020 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 BC Football

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Is Spencer Bono done?

He’s on the spring roster.

Per his instagram hes retiring because of medical issues, something with his heart.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:05 am

flakes {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:
OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This won’t be in fashion as we wonder where on the Shinskie-Towles-Murphy spectrum Jurkovec falls...

High school accolades aside, Jurkovec sounds to me like a mentally broken player. He seemed to have been psychologically dismantled by the ND coaching staff (maybe to preserve Ian Book’s status as unquestioned starter). He has talked about losing a love for the game about how he wasn’t seeing the field about how he has a lot to learn. I understand folks will say that Kelly has a lot of blame here. That maybe true, but we are the ones to deal with the fall out.

For all of AB’s accuracy limitations, he was a very strong leader (smart, confidant and inspiring) whom his teammates loved. Over anything else, I think Jurkovec’s success here will be linked to whether he can step into that role. As the Spring starts, I will be looking for clues to see if the kid has regained his confidence. If he hasn’t, I hope he doesn’t get the waiver and takes the year to find his passion again.

Regardless of the waiver, he can only play at BC through the 2022 season. The waiver lets him count his true freshman year at ND as a redshirt year so that he can enjoy three years of eligibility at BC. Without it, he has to take the redshirt this year and only has eligibility in 2021 and 2022.

I imagine the staff will follow your suggestion in that they’ll be careful with his psyche before they push him into the lineup. Having said that, I’m pretty optimistic he’ll be OK that way. The fact that expectations are reasonable will help him.

His interview when he mentioned he was getting used to being under center made me a little nervous, about our offense generally and with Jurkovec in particular.

Yeah, he Mentioned it was an adjustment getting used to 5 and 7 step drops.

The majority of HS kids rarely if ever take a snap under center these days.

It wasn’t a knock on him so much as apprehension about the offense we’ll be running generally and how it fits Jurkovec in particular.
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:24 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This won’t be in fashion as we wonder where on the Shinskie-Towles-Murphy spectrum Jurkovec falls...

High school accolades aside, Jurkovec sounds to me like a mentally broken player. He seemed to have been psychologically dismantled by the ND coaching staff (maybe to preserve Ian Book’s status as unquestioned starter). He has talked about losing a love for the game about how he wasn’t seeing the field about how he has a lot to learn. I understand folks will say that Kelly has a lot of blame here. That maybe true, but we are the ones to deal with the fall out.

For all of AB’s accuracy limitations, he was a very strong leader (smart, confidant and inspiring) whom his teammates loved. Over anything else, I think Jurkovec’s success here will be linked to whether he can step into that role. As the Spring starts, I will be looking for clues to see if the kid has regained his confidence. If he hasn’t, I hope he doesn’t get the waiver and takes the year to find his passion again.

This is a weird post.

we need a separate thread to get psyche updates on jurkovec and schiano. so we don't have track their progress or regression in different threads.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:13 am

Article on Grosel and the new offense.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/02/25 ... w-offense/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:32 pm

what's your read on Grosel's mental state, mindhunter?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:59 pm

He sounds confident he'll be the starter.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:26 pm

I like the kid's moxie, but he's a poor man's John Fadule.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Article on Grosel and the new offense.

This article illustrates how players can seize PR opportunities from the open locker room approach. Rich Thompson has had prior contact with Grosel, and I'm sure Addazio fed Thompson bread crumbs last Fall that included talking with Grosel. I'm further sure that Grosel was one of Addazio's favorite "dudes", a walk-on who plugged away and "filled a gap" when AB went down. Grosel likely starts with no coaching change, as it sounds like AB was out and Jurkovec wouldn't have come.

Now Grosel is in a very different situation, with a new HC and OC who have promised nothing to him. When asked in a press availability about Grosel, Hafley said that he's examining things with eyes wide open, that everyone has a clean slate. He has said that Grosel is doing a really good job just as so many are. So praising Grosel is rather insipid, as the praise is not specific to him nor distinguishable from anyone else.

Yet we have twice seen Hafley proactively celebrate Jurkovec three separate times. The first was the tweet of the Eagle swooping when Jurkovec committed. Second was the introduction presser, although given the media attention that was no surprise. But the third was after the first day of spring practice, where BC itself made Jurkovec available to the press. Not Grosel, but Jurkovec.

Now Thompson comes along with a story about Grosel. I'm guessing Hafley didn't generate this one. Whether it was Thompson himself or someone doing Grosel a favor, who knows? But Grosel knows he's going to be the backup if Jurkovec gets the waiver. In that light, it's smart to get the article recounting his success within such a limited system (the 12 formation discussion), so that he has a portfolio out there if he enters the transfer portal next December.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:49 pm

This article illustrates how players can seize PR opportunities from the open locker room approach. Rich Thompson has had prior contact with Grosel, and I'm sure Addazio fed Thompson bread crumbs last Fall that included talking with Grosel. I'm further sure that Grosel was one of Addazio's favorite "dudes", a walk-on who plugged away and "filled a gap" when AB went down. Grosel likely starts with no coaching change, as it sounds like AB was out and Jurkovec wouldn't have come.

Now Grosel is in a very different situation, with a new HC and OC who have promised nothing to him. When asked in a press availability about Grosel, Hafley said that he's examining things with eyes wide open, that everyone has a clean slate. He has said that Grosel is doing a really good job just as so many are. So praising Grosel is rather insipid, as the praise is not specific to him nor distinguishable from anyone else.

Yet we have twice seen Hafley proactively celebrate Jurkovec three separate times. The first was the tweet of the Eagle swooping when Jurkovec committed. Second was the introduction presser, although given the media attention that was no surprise. But the third was after the first day of spring practice, where BC itself made Jurkovec available to the press. Not Grosel, but Jurkovec.

Now Thompson comes along with a story about Grosel. I'm guessing Hafley didn't generate this one. Whether it was Thompson himself or someone doing Grosel a favor, who knows? But Grosel knows he's going to be the backup if Jurkovec gets the waiver. In that light, it's smart to get the article recounting his success within such a limited system (the 12 formation discussion), so that he has a portfolio out there if he enters the transfer portal next December.

Lets hope that Hafley starts whoever he thinks will enable the team to win more games and NOT just the player who may be a "great guy" and "plugged away." If Grosel is better than Jurkovec, then start Grosel. Otherwise....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:50 pm

If the coronavirus really ramps up, will the 2020 season even happen?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:09 pm

I'll let you in on a little secret. No one thinks grosel should start, regardless of waivers. Not even grosel.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Thornton Melon on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:50 am

I'm very surprised the term throw game wasn't used in that hard hitting piece.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles06 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Lets hope that Hafley starts whoever he thinks will enable the team to win more games and NOT just the player who may be a "great guy" and "plugged away." If Grosel is better than Jurkovec, then start Grosel. Otherwise....

Hafley definitely didn't generate this one. Watch the video, Thompson crow bars at least three Grosel questions in to Hafley, who at one point looks kind of annoyed at him. Then I'm sure he requested Grosel for the player interview portion, which Baum sets up. Guessing Thompson had this article idea set up before practice that day.
BCEagles06
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Based on the way Meter and Cronan were talking, I assume Austin Burton is transferring to BC.

He is not in the transfer portal and their season has been over for a very long time. :ace

They definitely said he was in the transfer portal.

He is not listed in the 2020 UCLA transfer portal.

He uses twitter and no mention of him leaving UCLA is on there.

Perhaps he is waiting for BC to make their coaching announcements? :ace

he is now in the portal and will graduate this spring
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:11 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Based on the way Meter and Cronan were talking, I assume Austin Burton is transferring to BC.

He is not in the transfer portal and their season has been over for a very long time. :ace

I don't see him: https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Seas ... ferPortal/
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:32 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I don't see him: https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Seas ... ferPortal/

https://247sports.com/Article/Austin-Burton-quarterback-enters-transfer-portal-UCLA-Bruins-football-144559566/

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/03/03/ucla-qb-austin-burton-is-15th-bruin-to-enter-transfer-portal-as-spring-practice-begins/
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:50 pm

bc still has not submitted jurk's waiver, no reason to rush
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:52 pm

I assume we aren’t having spring football practice anymore?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:56 am

Is anyone else doing the Zoom call with Jarmond at 12? Let me know if anyone has any specific questions and I can try to get them in.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:14 am

i'm on

i see a mysterious stranger as well
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 am

This call is something of a nametag event.

Hopefully they are screening all the Men's Lacrosse and Buid a dome questions.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:This call is something of a nametag event.

I was going to dial in but I thought it would be annoying. How was it?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:52 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:This call is something of a nametag event.

Anything noteworthy?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Los on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Not particularly. Was more focused on what the program is doing for the athletes in light of COVID and how they’re coping. A lot of Marty just telling us to be positive and optimistic. Nothing really sports-related.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Los {l Wrote}:Not particularly. Was more focused on what the program is doing for the athletes in light of COVID and how they’re coping. A lot of Marty just telling us to be positive and optimistic. Nothing really sports-related.

They also had a guy screening all the questions so I'm sure they were just serving up the softballs. It only lasted about 45 minutes as well.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:41 pm

the screener in the start said 'this is a conversation on the impact of the china virus on bc not regarding specific programs'

in stressing positivity jarmond said (with a grin) 'if i make a decision you don't agree with, i can take the heat but kids read social media more than they should'
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:10 pm

Happy Should-Have-Been-Spring-Game Weekend!
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 pm

hafley had media availability today
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Christian mcstravick WR from TX has entered the portal

to Rice
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri May 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Marty Walsh just banned gatherings in Boston until September 7. Doesn’t seem good for any chance of a college football season with fans
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium