John Beilein?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

John Beilein?

Postby bobcarrington on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Just saw an ESPN piece listing BC as one of 3 possible landing spots for him (along with DePaul and Texas). From the article:

"It's not a sure thing Jim Christian gets dismissed. The Eagles are 7-8 in the ACC this season, and Sunday's home win over NC State moves them to .500 overall. That said, the league is down as a whole and 7-8 isn't what it used to be. Christian likely needs a strong finish to guarantee his spot next season. He has been in Chestnut Hill for six seasons and was 18-72 in the league entering this season."
bobcarrington
n00b

Re: John Beilein?

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:22 pm

If Belien is available you hire him tomorrow. In fact, you call him in Cleveland and tell him the job is his as soon as he finishes negotiating the buy out. First, he is a great coach. The fact that it has been a disaster is an indictment of the NBA in general and the Cavs in particular, not a reflection of his basketball acumen. Outside of Brad Stevens, there are very few good coaches in the NBA and because of the way the game is played and officiated talent dictates everything. Hell, look how absolutely lost Popovich looked at the World Championships this summer and he is allegedly a great NBA Coach. And I can tell you from personal experience that Steve Kerr could not out think a bag of hammers. Belein might also like it here, as he has stated he is far more comfortable coaching 4 year kids—the early departures really soured him on Michigan. Texas can obviously pay him a lot more than we can, but Texas probably also brings many of the same things Belein complained about at Michigan.

Also, speaking of amazing coaching, did anyone catch Roy Williams latest masterpiece this evening? Up 15 with six minutes to go against a hopelessly mediocre Notre Dame that couldn’t make a FT and he somehow loses on a 3 pointer at the buzzer, after drawing up two incomprehensibly bad set plays up 5 and 2 with under a minute left. And that is why you pay whatever and do whatever it takes to land Belien. When bad coaching can demolish a program that has as many advantages as UNC, a place like BC needs a great coach.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:12 am

What happened to Beilein's son at Niagara? Was it alcohol or something more?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby sparky on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 am

I thought he was great when he used to go against us with WVU, but I don't think this is happening for a number of reasons. One, I am not sure they will fire Christian. Despite what Kenpom says the team hasn't been horrendous this year. Yes, it's a down year for the ACC but being nearly .500 in conference play is a lot better than what most people honestly expected this year. Two, I get the feeling based on the football hiring, and BC's apparent budgeting for such things, that if they do go with a new coach, that they will go with a less costly high upside young coach, rather than a 67 year old guy who will command more than double the salary the current coach gets. Considering his age, I also don't think Beilein himself would be as excited about a rebuild situation. Still fun to think about though.
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:22 am

sparky {l Wrote}:I thought he was great when he used to go against us with WVU, but I don't think this is happening for a number of reasons. One, I am not sure they will fire Christian. Despite what Kenpom says the team hasn't been horrendous this year. Yes, it's a down year for the ACC but being nearly .500 in conference play is a lot better than what most people honestly expected this year. Two, I get the feeling based on the football hiring, and BC's apparent budgeting for such things, that if they do go with a new coach, that they will go with a less costly high upside young coach, rather than a 67 year old guy who will command more than double the salary the current coach gets. Considering his age, I also don't think Beilein himself would be as excited about a rebuild situation. Still fun to think about though.

But it won't be a rebuild situation. If Christian is fired...realistically Beilein should be able to keep whatveer players he wants within the fold. And Christian would at least be leaving behind a half decent roster.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby bobcarrington on Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:23 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
But it won't be a rebuild situation. If Christian is fired...realistically Beilein should be able to keep whatveer players he wants within the fold. And Christian would at least be leaving behind a half decent roster.

Right. I doubt it will happen, but hiring Beilein to take over a roster with Jairus, Tabbs, Heath, Mitchell, Felder, etc. would be a home run for a program that hasn't even had any base hits in quite a while. It'd be a huge accomplishment for MJ, coming right on the heels of the football move.
bobcarrington
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:44 pm

I haven't bothered reading the article but is there any connection to Jarmond there? Is it based solely on Christian hot seat/ACC job?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:42 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I haven't bothered reading the article but is there any connection to Jarmond there? Is it based solely on Christian hot seat/ACC job?

Is JC on the hot seat?

He has 3 years left on his contract at a school that doesn’t pay people not to do their job. There hasn’t been a commitment or decision on a BB building. There has been a lot of talk and desire to do something, but plans haven’t been finalized nor funding secured. Marty saw the role the Fieldhouse player in wooing football coaches, I think he’d want at least some sort of blueprint to show the school’s commitment to the sport. At the end of the season, Marty can pretend the program is trending up. There is decent talent in the program. There are good players arriving next year. We are smack in the middle of the ACC. He could give a win-or-go-home ultimatum like he did to Daz.

Ultimately, Christian is among the worst hires the school has ever made. At least with Spaz, you could argue him being a good soldier and wanting to give him a chance. JC was an insane hire when it happened and he never came close to showing competency (outside of scrambling together a good assistant group). That said, the sport is dead at BC. Whether the move is made this year or next, no one cares. No new fans are showing up and no current fans are walking away. If Jarmond has knowledge of a magic move (Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, Jon Beilein), he should pull the trigger. However, I don’t think he has a connection to anyone like that and will likely wait a year, get his ducks in a row on a building and focus on Hafley not faceplanting in his first year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 am

The decision to institute DBS as the team was in steep decline may have done more to decimate the fan base than the actual product. Just an amazingly short-sighted and arrogant move:!the epitome of having no sense of who you are as a program.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:02 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:The decision to institute DBS as the team was in steep decline may have done more to decimate the fan base than the actual product. Just an amazingly short-sighted and arrogant move:!the epitome of having no sense of who you are as a program.

The DBS thing is insane and prevents me from getting season tickets
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 am

JC was a terrible hire.

That being said, there’s no chance Beilein has any interest in coming to BC at all. I think HJS is right, Jarmond is sharp and if all the rumors are true the football job was very desirable and attracted a lot of interest. The brand new facilities assuredly played a big part in that.

Right now if you’re Jarmond you’re weighing the decision between canning JC and trying to catch fire with an up and comer and trying to use that success and energy to raise money for facilities enhancements, and trying to use whatever narrative of success you can with JC to raise money to build the facilities or have the plans in place necessary to make it an attractive job for a bigger name.

Thing is, the job is pretty bad. I think you’d have a hard time getting a lot of A10 guys to come here as it stands. I’d love to get rid of JC but The list to replace him would be pretty depressing if we don’t at least have a blueprint for a practice facility.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:JC was a terrible hire.

That being said, there’s no chance Beilein has any interest in coming to BC at all. I think HJS is right, Jarmond is sharp and if all the rumors are true the football job was very desirable and attracted a lot of interest. The brand new facilities assuredly played a big part in that.

Right now if you’re Jarmond you’re weighing the decision between canning JC and trying to catch fire with an up and comer and trying to use that success and energy to raise money for facilities enhancements, and trying to use whatever narrative of success you can with JC to raise money to build the facilities or have the plans in place necessary to make it an attractive job for a bigger name.

Thing is, the job is pretty bad. I think you’d have a hard time getting a lot of A10 guys to come here as it stands. I’d love to get rid of JC but The list to replace him would be pretty depressing if we don’t at least have a blueprint for a practice facility.

This is why we have JC now
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Thing is, the job is pretty bad. I think you’d have a hard time getting a lot of A10 guys to come here as it stands.

No it isn't.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 am

Most of this is correct. Dayton and VCU are objectively better basketball jobs than BC right now--far better facilities, far better fan bases and far better chances to build teams that can go deep in the tournament. As for the rest of the A10, the only guys who would be significant upgrades over JC--Travis Ford at SLU, Bob McKillop at Davidson, Mark Schmidt at Bonnies, are either too old and too well-paid and comfortable at their present gigs (McKillop, who's is the best game coach I have seen outside of Brad Stevens at Butler and Schmidt who has got to be one of the 3 most impressive program builder coaches out there for what he has done with Bonnies) or going to be in line for a much better job than BC (Travis Ford at SLU). I used to think Chris Mooney at Richmond was someone to watch, and what he did at Air Force and when he first got to Richmond was impressive, but the last seven years have been very mediocre and while he has them back playing in the top 4 of the conference this year and on pace for 23-25 wins, but they are 0-4 against the Top 25 and if they lose to Bonnies in Olean on Saturday, they will be 0-4 against the rest of the top 4 in the conference. Still his team is dominated by juniors and I expect that next year they will be similar to the 2010 and 2011 teams he had that made deep runs in the tournament.

With respect to Belein, I have no idea if he would have actual interest, but if the report that he would consider BC is true, I don't care how old he is, you try and get him. He's going to be gone or retired in five years? Maybe, or maybe he'll go as long as he can like Boeheim or K or Williams who are all six to eight years older than him. And yes, our facilities suck, but don't you think that raising money would be a whole lot easier with Belein onboard? And might that be part of the pitch?

Here is the pitch to Belien. (1) We will pay you at market; (2) You will get the kind of kids you like to coach here; (3) We will build a basketball facility here and you are going to have a major say in what we build; (4) You know that this is not a pressure cooker environment with an administration that turns on you on a dime; (5) Put your kid on the staff and let's rehabilitate him in a place that won't be as intense as your other options; (6) You are a Wheeling Jesuit grad who spent a decade at LeMoyne and cut your teeth in D1 at Canisius. Wouldn't it be nice to come full circle and finish up with the Jesuits? (7) You also have the opportunity in bringing this program back from the dead and helping to build a modern basketball facility and perhaps revamping the Conte Forum to put a lasting footprint here in a way that won't be available to you in other places.

My guess is that if we paid him market, the rest would be pretty persuasive. Everyone wants a legacy and while he is a lead pipe cinch for the Hall of Fame at this point, he is always going to be a secondary figure at West Virginia and Michigan. He could be at the top of the pantheon here.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:36 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Thing is, the job is pretty bad. I think you’d have a hard time getting a lot of A10 guys to come here as it stands.

No it isn't.

Ok, indulge us with your deep knowledge of how that coaching search evolved, BlaudsJS
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:45 am

isn't it well established that hopkins would've taken the job if offered? (i tried to scrub that clusterfuck from my mind)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Yes he would have. Washington is as tough a job as BC and most of his recruiting contacts are on the East Coast. You can see this in the fact that he is cratering in Year 3 as the cuboard Lorenzo Romar (who is a dynamite recruiter but terrible in game coach) stocked has graduated or otherwise moved on.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

Most of this is correct. Dayton and VCU are objectively better basketball jobs than BC right now--far better facilities, far better fan bases and far better chances to build teams that can go deep in the tournament. As for the rest of the A10, the only guys who would be significant upgrades over JC--Travis Ford at SLU, Bob McKillop at Davidson, Mark Schmidt at Bonnies, are either too old and too well-paid and comfortable at their present gigs (McKillop, who's is the best game coach I have seen outside of Brad Stevens at Butler and Schmidt who has got to be one of the 3 most impressive program builder coaches out there for what he has done with Bonnies) or going to be in line for a much better job than BC (Travis Ford at SLU). I used to think Chris Mooney at Richmond was someone to watch, and what he did at Air Force and when he first got to Richmond was impressive, but the last seven years have been very mediocre and while he has them back playing in the top 4 of the conference this year and on pace for 23-25 wins, but they are 0-4 against the Top 25 and if they lose to Bonnies in Olean on Saturday, they will be 0-4 against the rest of the top 4 in the conference. Still his team is dominated by juniors and I expect that next year they will be similar to the 2010 and 2011 teams he had that made deep runs in the tournament.

With respect to Belein, I have no idea if he would have actual interest, but if the report that he would consider BC is true, I don't care how old he is, you try and get him. He's going to be gone or retired in five years? Maybe, or maybe he'll go as long as he can like Boeheim or K or Williams who are all six to eight years older than him. And yes, our facilities suck, but don't you think that raising money would be a whole lot easier with Belein onboard? And might that be part of the pitch?

Here is the pitch to Belien. (1) We will pay you at market; (2) You will get the kind of kids you like to coach here; (3) We will build a basketball facility here and you are going to have a major say in what we build; (4) You know that this is not a pressure cooker environment with an administration that turns on you on a dime; (5) Put your kid on the staff and let's rehabilitate him in a place that won't be as intense as your other options; (6) You are a Wheeling Jesuit grad who spent a decade at LeMoyne and cut your teeth in D1 at Canisius. Wouldn't it be nice to come full circle and finish up with the Jesuits? (7) You also have the opportunity in bringing this program back from the dead and helping to build a modern basketball facility and perhaps revamping the Conte Forum to put a lasting footprint here in a way that won't be available to you in other places.

My guess is that if we paid him market, the rest would be pretty persuasive. Everyone wants a legacy and while he is a lead pipe cinch for the Hall of Fame at this point, he is always going to be a secondary figure at West Virginia and Michigan. He could be at the top of the pantheon here.

I think Jarmond is astute enough to know that the only way to bring this program is a name coach that will generate excitement and dollars for real facility. Hopefully he at least reaches out to Beilein's people and kicks the tires on this.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:isn't it well established that hopkins would've taken the job if offered? (i tried to scrub that clusterfuck from my mind)

Hopkins and Schmidt both would have gladly taken the job. But Bates' guy put his guy in place. The knock from Fogler was Hopkins had no head coaching experience and would bolt for Syracuse one day and that Schmidt was small time.

Even if Beilein is a pipe dream, the BC job is not as bad as people like to say. Will Bill Self take it? No. But we could easily double most midmajor coaches salaries. I know people don't want Bill Coen, but Spinelli makes more than Coen does.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Can you be our AD, or at least handle the recruitment of Beilein?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:34 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Counterpoint:
Attachments
BF10BBD1-9C5A-4EE0-A85E-768F192E4929.jpeg
BF10BBD1-9C5A-4EE0-A85E-768F192E4929.jpeg (77.81 KiB) Viewed 15791 times
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:28 pm

The BC job is not a bad job and the right hire will turn the program around in short order. Basketball is a much easier proposition with rosters of 13.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:32 pm

The BC job sucks. It’s in the most competitive BB conference and would be listed in the bottom 5 from any survey of coaches (I think we’d be dead last). The program has seen a decade of ineptitude since Skinner. There is no longer a fan base to re-energize. This is a full-scale rebuild.

Could the right guy get it done? Sure. But, he’d be a miracle worker. We aren’t paying enough to pull a superstar like Brad Stevens away from the Cs. And finding a young up-and-comer is a whole lot easier said then done. I get it... Beilein would be a good hire. But, who else has this program in the Tourney in 4 years?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:56 pm

The BC job is fine. 2 recruits turn any program around. BC sucks for an ACC job, sort of because a lot of ACC jobs are overrated (looking at you NCSU and ND) or just blow (hey Miami and VT)
Last edited by twballgame9 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Counterpoint:

Counterpoint: "I never want to coach again" is exactly the kind of attitude that would lead one to take the BC job over any number of superior offers.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby bobcarrington on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The BC job sucks. It’s in the most competitive BB conference and would be listed in the bottom 5 from any survey of coaches (I think we’d be dead last). The program has seen a decade of ineptitude since Skinner. There is no longer a fan base to re-energize. This is a full-scale rebuild.

Could the right guy get it done? Sure. But, he’d be a miracle worker. We aren’t paying enough to pull a superstar like Brad Stevens away from the Cs. And finding a young up-and-comer is a whole lot easier said then done. I get it... Beilein would be a good hire. But, who else has this program in the Tourney in 4 years?

Couldn't disagree more with this take. The BC job isn't ideal - we're not going to lure Tony Bennett or Jay Wright or Bill Self away from their current gigs - but the very fact that we're "in the most competitive BB conference" separates us from about 300 other D-1 jobs. And unless you think Al Skinner was a one in a million miracle worker genius, it's very possible for a good coach to succeed at BC despite the current structural disadvantages (success being defined Skinner-like, competing for the NCAAs just about every year - occasionally winning the Big East/ACC or making the Sweet 16).

Becoming Duke and repeatedly going to the Final 4 and winning a National Championship may be a pipe dream for BC - but getting back to Skinner level relevance should not at all be impossible. And at least some of the current structural disadvantages (no practice facility, poor fan base, playing in a crappy hockey arena) need not be permanent.
bobcarrington
n00b

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 pm

bobcarrington {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:The BC job sucks. It’s in the most competitive BB conference and would be listed in the bottom 5 from any survey of coaches (I think we’d be dead last). The program has seen a decade of ineptitude since Skinner. There is no longer a fan base to re-energize. This is a full-scale rebuild.

Couldn't disagree more with this take. The BC job isn't ideal - we're not going to lure Tony Bennett or Jay Wright or Bill Self away from their current gigs - but the very fact that we're "in the most competitive BB conference" separates us from about 300 other D-1 jobs. And unless you think Al Skinner was a one in a million miracle worker genius, it's very possible for a good coach to succeed at BC despite the current structural disadvantages (success being defined Skinner-like, competing for the NCAAs just about every year - occasionally winning the Big East/ACC or making the Sweet 16).

Becoming Duke and repeatedly going to the Final 4 and winning a National Championship may be a pipe dream for BC - but getting back to Skinner level relevance should not at all be impossible. And at least some of the current structural disadvantages (no practice facility, poor fan base, playing in a crappy hockey arena) need not be permanent.

If you look at the history of BC, Skinner was a “one in a million miracle worker” as he was the ONLY coach to ever get BC to the level of “competing for the NCAAs just about every year - occasionally winning the BigEast/ACC or making the Sweet 16.”

I’ve yet to see folks provide any suggested names of these supposedly easily found good coaches that will have us back to historic heights in a couple of years.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bobcarrington {l Wrote}:

If you look at the history of BC, Skinner was a “one in a million miracle worker” as he was the ONLY coach to ever get BC to the level of “competing for the NCAAs just about every year - occasionally winning the BigEast/ACC or making the Sweet 16.”

I’ve yet to see folks provide any suggested names of these supposedly easily found good coaches that will have us back to historic heights in a couple of years.

Skinner isn't even top 3 BC coaches in hoop.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:27 am

Based solely on what they did at BC (and not what they went on to accomplish elsewhere), he’s 3rd (with the other 2 coaching here before most on the board were born).

1. Cousy
2. Tom Davis
3. Al Skinner
4. Gary Williams

Chuck Daly, Bob Zuffelato and Jim O’Brien each finished a couple of games above .500. So, from Cousy to Skinner, BC ever had a coach with a losing record. Both Don and Jimmy MAC are .400 coaches. We’ve only had 2 winning seasons since Skinner (one of which was his players in Don’s first season). From an investment in the program perspective, no physical investment has been made since Conte broke ground in 1986 (which was a benefit shared across many sports).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:28 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Based solely on what they did at BC (and not what they went on to accomplish elsewhere), he’s 3rd (with the other 2 coaching here before most on the board were born).

1. Cousy
2. Tom Davis
3. Al Skinner
4. Gary Williams

Chuck Daly, Bob Zuffelato and Jim O’Brien each finished a couple of games above .500. So, from Cousy to Skinner, BC ever had a coach with a losing record. Both Don and Jimmy MAC are .400 coaches. We’ve only had 2 winning seasons since Skinner (one of which was his players in Don’s first season). From an investment in the program perspective, no physical investment has been made since Conte broke ground in 1986 (which was a benefit shared across many sports).

No.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum