Luke Kuehchly

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Luke Kuehchly

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:58 pm

Deserves his own thread on this day.

I’ve watched many BC football players over the years. He was the single most exceptional talent I saw play for BC.

I will never forget sitting 2nd row at the 50 yard at Duke’s shitty stadium watching him make 21 tackles and singlehandedly win the game on November 13, 2010. He made every play. It was sensational.

BC should retire his jersey next fall.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Luke Kuehchly

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:20 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Deserves his own thread on this day.

I’ve watched many BC football players over the years. He was the single most exceptional talent I saw play for BC.

I will never forget sitting 2nd row at the 50 yard at Duke’s shitty stadium watching him make 21 tackles and singlehandedly win the game on November 13, 2010. He made every play. It was sensational.

Great player and excellent representative of the school. Wish him the best.

BC already retired his jersey (but not his number)
https://bceagles.com/news/2016/7/5/foot ... mbers.aspx
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Deserves his own thread on this day.

Great player and excellent representative of the school. Wish him the best.

BC already retired his jersey (but not his number)
https://bceagles.com/news/2016/7/5/foot ... mbers.aspx

Thanks for the correction. Meant to retire his number.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 am

One of my two favorite BC players & likely the best pro career of any football alum.

Hopefully he will be unaffected by the concussions in the future.

Great career Luke -- you did BC proud on and off the field
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am

Panthers posted a tweet that makes it seem like they'll retire his number. Easily top three if not the best Panthers player to date.

We all knew he was good, but the shout outs from across the NFL are amazing. Luke was a transcendent talent.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 am

laying it out is insane:

NFL:

-8 nfl seasons
-first year, defensive rookie of the year
-second year,defensive player of the year (youngest ever)
-5x 1st team all pro
-2x 2nd team all pro

only year he wasn't an all pro was his rookie year. after that, 3 straight years of first team all pro.

BC:

-he slotted in for herzlich and proceeded to be second in nation in tackles at 18 years old. was on some all-american teams as a freshman.
-first in nation in tackles next two years. unanimous first team all american at 19. then again at 20.
-in 3 seasons of play, set ACC career tackles record, and only 13 short of NCAA record (per wiki)

-one game in particular that i remember was the miami game in 2011 ...i remember thinking he single handedly won us that game, when we were in the depths of the spaz years and had literally nothing to play for: last game of the year and we were 3-8.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZdule1wqBI[/youtube]

simply put the most outstanding talent ive ever seen come thru bc (following since 2005ish)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby mod6A on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 am

as an alum, i am sad i won't be able to watch him play anymore.

as a falcons fan, i am glad they will not have to face him twice a year anymore.

met him at a BC spring game one year. my then gf now wife said " he was so friendly and nice".

hope he had a long and healthy retirement.

:screamyeagle :angrychicken

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:laying it out is insane:

NFL:

-8 nfl seasons
-5x 1st team all pro
-2x 2nd team all pro

only year he wasn't an all pro was his rookie year. after that, 3 straight years of first team all pro.

BC:

-he slotted in for herzlich and proceeded to be second in nation in tackles at 18 years old. was on some all-american teams as a freshman.
-first in nation in tackles next two years. unanimous first team all american at 19. then again at 20.
-in 3 seasons of play, set ACC career tackles record, and only 13 short of NCAA record (per wiki)

-one game in particular that i remember was the miami game in 2011 ...i remember thinking he single handedly won us that game, when we were in the depths of the spaz years and had literally nothing to play for: last game of the year and we were 3-8.

simply put the most outstanding talent ive ever seen come thru bc (following since 2005ish)

He won the Nagurski as the best defensive player. I'd be fine with them retiring his number.

Also, the fact he almost broke the NCAA career tackles record in 3 years it absolutely amazing.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Zukauskas tweeted a vid of Keeks jumping over the Maryland OLine on a 4th and 1 to stop the Terps, un-fucking-real. 2010, iirc.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Retire his jersey, not the number
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Retire his jersey, not the number

Pretty sure that's already been done.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:laying it out is insane:

NFL:

-8 nfl seasons
-5x 1st team all pro
-2x 2nd team all pro

BC:

He won the Nagurski as the best defensive player. I'd be fine with them retiring his number.

Also, the fact he almost broke the NCAA career tackles record in 3 years it absolutely amazing.

He would have broken it if BC went to a bowl game.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Why not number?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Why not number?

No one on the team currently is wearing 40 (nor is anyone wearing 12 for that matter. 94 is being worn by a Kicker).
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Why not number?

Only Flutie's and Mike Ruth's have been retired, 31 mostly unused every season for obvs reasons. There have been plenty of players whose names are on the SE corner wall, though. Maybe Keeks or Matty Ice will be the 3rd?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Los on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:21 pm

Hands down the best defensive player I've ever seen. Glad he's looking out for himself.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:28 pm

my understanding of the way bc does this is the flutie and ruth numbers are retired because they won the two major cfb awards - heisman and outland. all other distinguished players deemed worthy of it have a jersey retired.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:59 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:my understanding of the way bc does this is the flutie and ruth numbers are retired because they won the two major cfb awards - heisman and outland. all other distinguished players deemed worthy of it have a jersey retired.

You consider the interior lineman award one of the two major awards?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:my understanding of the way bc does this is the flutie and ruth numbers are retired because they won the two major cfb awards - heisman and outland. all other distinguished players deemed worthy of it have a jersey retired.

not now but it was back when ruth won it. and if what i recall as the way bc does the retired number thing is true, bc clearly needs to update the criteria.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

not now but it was back when ruth won it. and if what i recall as the way bc does the retired number thing is true, bc clearly needs to update the criteria.

I'm not sure I'd ever put the outland on par with the Heisman or above the butkus or whatever QB award Ryan got. It was a big deal for a BC guy to win one, but not sure the award was much of a big deal.

I thought the criteria was AA and one of the awards
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'm not sure I'd ever put the outland on par with the Heisman or above the butkus or whatever QB award Ryan got. It was a big deal for a BC guy to win one, but not sure the award was much of a big deal.

don't know teddy. keeks was aa, lombardi and butkus. my original post was based on something i read somewhere when bc first started the jersey thing.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

don't know teddy. keeks was aa, lombardi and butkus. my original post was based on something i read somewhere when bc first started the jersey thing.

Nagurski is for best defensive player (from FWAA) similar to the Bednarik (awarded by !Maxwell committee).
Keeks won enough awards that he deserves his number retired.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's my point, I'd retire Keeks' number. Ryan you can argue that the Archie Manning or whatever he got, was not the real award. But Keeks is the most decorated BC football player after Flutie. If Ruth is up there, he probably should be too.

Plus, it's a dumb number anyway. 12 people want.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's my point, I'd retire Keeks' number. Ryan you can argue that the Archie Manning or whatever he got, was not the real award. But Keeks is the most decorated BC football player after Flutie. If Ruth is up there, he probably should be too.

Plus, it's a dumb number anyway. 12 people want.

agree. so the question is why was keeks jersey retired but not his number. jarmond needs to step in and do the right thing.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:16 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Why not number?

Only Flutie's and Mike Ruth's have been retired, 31 mostly unused every season for obvs reasons. There have been plenty of players whose names are on the SE corner wall, though. Maybe Keeks or Matty Ice will be the 3rd?

I’m totally blanking here... number 31?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:27 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Why not number?

SS Jay McGillis. Died of leukemia, iirc, during the Coughlin yrs. On senior day, I think the "best/most exp" DB wears 31 for the game. I think it's sorta new, maybe within the last 10 yrs? That said, I think it's a great idea.

https://tcjayfund.org/
Last edited by MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Why not number?

Really Hansen?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:36 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Why not number?

SS Jay McGillis. Died of leukemia, iirc, during the Coughlin yrs. On senior day, I think the "best/most exp" DB wears 31 for the game. I think it's sorta new, maybe within the last 10 yrs? That said, I think it's a great idea.

https://tcjayfund.org/

It's an endowed scholarship. Usually a senior DB, but there are more factors than "best"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:42 pm

I think it's awesome that sorta thing is done for Senior Day.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:40 pm

I wasn't familiar with this guy but remember the bowl game BC vs Nevada(?) in San Fran and thinking this guy seems to be in 2 or 3 places at one time. He was exceptional.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium