BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:57 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:I assume not for a while but does anyone know how quickly the waiver question will be resolved one way or another?

Considering it's the NCAA involved.....you get bet the answer is as slow as possible.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Btw... if we land him, I think credit goes directly to Cignetti.

not bad for a 3rd choice oc who's only been on the job for a week.

I shit on the hire because I thought it was boring and safe. But, I’m pointing this out because it’s only fair to give him credit if he lands a monster QB.

Is Ian Book's backup really a "monster QB"?

Yes. Look at Brian Kelly’s record of QB development. Jurkovec was the #4 QB in the country out of high school. He might have been higher, but he shut his recruiting down his sophomore year of HS and didn’t do any of the road shows like The Opening and the like.

As I said, and this comes from a very highly placed and source, Kelly prefers system QBs and has never done well with talent. There is a reason that Tommy Rees and Ian Book are the only guys who will have played 3 years under Kelly. Kiel left after a semester. Kizer regressed badly from year 1 to year 2 when Kelly made him stick in “his system” after letting him freelance his first year out of necessity because he didn’t know the playbook. And even if they were busts, take a look at Zaire and Wimbush’s first few starts versus after Kelly “installed” his offense in their brains and started going all purple face on them when they utilized their athleticism to make plays.

Go read the ND message boards and beat writers. Even the Kelly apologists are upset by this development. People close to the program are similarly angry. I watched him in spring ball and he was fantastic. His fall camp was allegedly not good, but know one knows and Kelly isn’t above throwing kids under the bus to justify putting his man-crush in the QB position (See Everett Golson v Tommy Rees), (Dayne Crist v Tommy Rees). I will also say that Jurkovec made one of the most impressive throws I have ever seen in what was mop up duty against UVA. Got drilled in the chest as he was throwing and still delivered a pinpoint accurate 40 yard rope across the field. Hope I will see more of it going forward (without him getting drilled).

ND insiders are spinning this as a recruit not being as good as expected and unwilling to stay and compete for a job. Not saying that’s accurate, but that’s what I’ve heard from 2 people close to ND program.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Irish writers saying he didn’t get along with Rees

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncolleg ... notre-dame
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Most of the ND reporters are basically saying Kelly prefers system over talent. The starter jacket crowd is sure to bash the kid on his way out the door, but most of the ND articles say the kid is loaded with talent and wasn't what Kelly wanted. Regardless, he's far more highly regarded than anything BC could have next year and anything in the portal now that Newman is off the board.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:48 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Irish writers saying he didn’t get along with Rees

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncolleg ... notre-dame

Tommy Rees, a mediocre at best QB that fit Kelly's system and caused Kelly to run off far better athletes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.
Last edited by hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:01 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:ND insiders are spinning this as a recruit not being as good as expected and unwilling to stay and compete for a job. Not saying that’s accurate, but that’s what I’ve heard from 2 people close to ND program.

'nd insiders' bashing the kid means we're getting a good one
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Combing through the ND site, the waiver actually should be likely. Somebody posted a list of NCAA criteria and one is lack of competition ("no participation opportunity"). Kelly has publicly said he wants Book back. Any coach would say that, sure, but it's reasonable to infer that Book would remain the starter coming back for a 5th year. Additionally, Jurkovec having a girlfriend in Boston and a family that would have an easier time seeing his games should make it a slam dunk.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Another interesting wrinkle is what this night mean about Cignetti. Aside from the PA connections which probably helped sell the kid, Cignetti did spend the last year in McCarthy's "think tank" which was purportedly to study "NFL trends." If you can peel away the cynicism about the think tank, there have been no hotter trends in the NFL QB/offense realm over the last two years than the RPO and the rise of the mobile QB. Cignetti already had a lot to sell Jurkovec on with his pro QB Coach experience, But the think tank also suggests he wants to coordinate an offense around the mobile QB that pros are looking at more seriously than ever. That's a good sign even if it takes Cignetti a while to figure it out in games
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:39 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:Combing through the ND site, the waiver actually should be likely. Somebody posted a list of NCAA criteria and one is lack of competition ("no participation opportunity"). Kelly has publicly said he wants Book back. Any coach would say that, sure, but it's reasonable to infer that Book would remain the starter coming back for a 5th year. Additionally, Jurkovec having a girlfriend in Boston and a family that would have an easier time seeing his games should make it a slam dunk.

Comparing Book’s offers to Jurkovec’s is an interesting exercise.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:Another interesting wrinkle is what this night mean about Cignetti. Aside from the PA connections which probably helped sell the kid, Cignetti did spend the last year in McCarthy's "think tank" which was purportedly to study "NFL trends." If you can peel away the cynicism about the think tank, there have been no hotter trends in the NFL QB/offense realm over the last two years than the RPO and the rise of the mobile QB. Cignetti already had a lot to sell Jurkovec on with his pro QB Coach experience, But the think tank also suggests he wants to coordinate an offense around the mobile QB that pros are looking at more seriously than ever. That's a good sign even if it takes Cignetti a while to figure it out in games

I believe Cignetti is related to Jurkovec.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:Another interesting wrinkle is what this night mean about Cignetti. Aside from the PA connections which probably helped sell the kid, Cignetti did spend the last year in McCarthy's "think tank" which was purportedly to study "NFL trends." If you can peel away the cynicism about the think tank, there have been no hotter trends in the NFL QB/offense realm over the last two years than the RPO and the rise of the mobile QB. Cignetti already had a lot to sell Jurkovec on with his pro QB Coach experience, But the think tank also suggests he wants to coordinate an offense around the mobile QB that pros are looking at more seriously than ever. That's a good sign even if it takes Cignetti a while to figure it out in games

That would help too! But relative or not, the kid is not going to sign with a school that has a run run pass OC. Obviously Cignetti and Hafley assured him they want to utilize his skill set And I would be shocked if two guys recently in the NFL weren't also pitching that he would play in a system that would showcase his dual threat ability.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Hafley’s playing chess while everyone else is still playing checkers.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 pm

If you watch this interview, after the spring game when he apparently got sacked 100 times, you can see his frustration with the ND system. What I like is it seems he is genuinely frustrated that he can't master Kelly's offense. But as he hints, he's also frustrated that he's been told not to make plays with his feet or use his creativity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jkr8OMkYXQ

And when you watch this video, you can see what he's capable of when he runs a system that utilizes his obvious gifts. I mean, that deep ball is a thing of beauty. He can throw it 40 yards on a dart (Rodgers like), but he also show the smarts to put loft on it when he needs to. And the running plays are just sick. High school, I know, but still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98DbxKss_4
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby NJM89 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:25 am

NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

Jurkovec sounds like a guy who should’ve transferred a long time ago. He’s either a star who was crushed by Tommy Rees and Kelly and will need to be rehabbed. Or, he’s not good. I’m guessing the former. But, I hope Sam Johnson sticks around for another season to see if it is the latter. On that front, I don’t know how Valecce and SJ did not get any chance after AB went down.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 am

Hopefully, he takes it for what it is, a challenge to find the best QB available.

That being said, I wouldn't blame him if he left. Whole new staff and all.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.

If he had committed to BC out of HS his rating would have been summarily reduced by each of the services, as we’ve seen before. Your point stands, however. Big get, and at the biggest position of need. We need that waiver to come through.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Coming out of high school, if he had committed here, then he would have been rated by 247 as our fourth best recruit ever behind Brian Toal, Justin Hinds, and Brandon Brokaw. An absolute massive get by Hafley.

If he had committed to BC out of HS his rating would have been summarily reduced by each of the services, as we’ve seen before. Your point stands, however. Big get, and at the biggest position of need. We need that waiver to come through.

https://twitter.com/ForBlogston/status/ ... 9793751040

:shrug
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:22 am

i think there will be enough shuffling after spring ball to secure a qb for 2020 should the waiver not turn out as it should (cause these restrictions are garbage)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 am

Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:50 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.

Probably even more than usual, you have no idea.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

While I have no information on the waiver whatsoever, I have more information than that sort of blogger.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Patterson has the excuse of the Ole Miss program imploding. Fields pulled the race card by claiming some anonymous posters posted racist things on the inter web (some of which may have been planted by friends and family to facilitate the exit). Even the Tate Martell thing is different. There was a change at head coach at OSU from Urban to HCRD. That was the argument Martell used. Jurkovec can only argue that his OC has changed. Don’t think it’ll be a winner.

Hansen, it's time for you to put that twitter account to use and become the Dooder-esque hero you so desperately want to be.

You know what you must do.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:15 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

Hansen, it's time for you to put that twitter account to use and become the Dooder-esque hero you so desperately want to be.

Seriously this is like low-hanging fruit for the members of EO.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

hansens up for the task

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

While I have no information on the waiver whatsoever, I have more information than that sort of blogger.

Nor do I but I tend to believe Mr. Dick Rosenthal and if he says the waiver is forthcoming, I'd bet that way.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Manny on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:57 pm

There was also the UGA baseball player who got expelled after calling him the N-word a bunch of times (published news) and the handful of said baseball player's teammates who harassed him for a while afterward (rumor from local people). But sure, make up some bullshit to make a 19-year-old look like the bad guy for wanting to play football somewhere else.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:03 pm

BC believes they can get it. Also the NCAA doesn't want to change the rule but they also don't want to fight this in court, so there are lots of waivers especially for high profile players.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:

There was also the UGA baseball player who got expelled after calling him the N-word a bunch of times (published news) and the handful of said baseball player's teammates who harassed him for a while afterward (rumor from local people). But sure, make up some bullshit to make a 19-year-old look like the bad guy for wanting to play football somewhere else.

I’ve been saying elsewhere that I think Jurkovec’s people are going to produce documentary evidence that the coaches wouldn’t give him a fair shake, & that their treatment of him was poor enough to warrant the waiver based on the NCAA’s guidelines.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/council-adjusts-transfer-waiver-guidelines-addresses-other-topics
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium