BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC QB situation 2020 (and beyond)

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Shit if he were to sign here, it would take Hafley 2 weeks to get one more quality QB than Catsup recruited in 7 years.

This:
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Isn't Grosel a PWO? He should get a degree.

Came in as a PWO but given a scholarship
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Shit if he were to sign here, it would take Hafley 2 weeks to get one more quality QB than Catsup recruited in 7 years.

It's not Daz's fault these newfangled QBs didn't want to crack the rock.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:21 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Isn't Grosel a PWO? He should get a degree.

Came in as a PWO but given a scholarship

That's too bad
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:4 writers on 247 are predicting Jurkovec to BC.

He’s visiting - they have an article up.

[Former four-star Notre Dame quarterback Phil Jurkovec could find a new home quickly.

A few days after entering the NCAA transfer portal, sources said the one-time Gibsonia (Pa.) Pine-Richland standout began a weekend visit to Boston College, which is allowed given a provision in NCAA recruiting rules that allows an on-campus visit since the school begins classes Monday, even though it is an NCAA dead period.

Jurkovec would be a huge pickup for new Boston College coach Jeff Hafley after Eagles quarterback Anthony Brown entered into the portal a few weeks ago.

When signing with Notre Dame out of high school, the 6-foot-5, 215-pound Jurkovec was the No. 4 dual threat quarterback and No. 83 prospect in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite class of 2018 rankings.

Jurkovec was also a prolific player at the western Pennsylvania school. He threw for 8,202 yards and 71 touchdown passes in his career. He completed 68.4 percent of his throws and also rushed for 2,942 yards.

However, getting on the field at Notre Dame was difficult.

Jurkovec saw spot duty as a freshman. He played in two games and attempted two passes (both were incomplete). He also ran twice for nine yards.

As a sophomore, Jurkovec played in six games. He completed 12 of 15 for 222 yards and two touchdowns. He ran 22 times for 130 yards.

Notre Dame coach Chip Kelly addressed Jurkovec’s development during the season as even Ian Book excelled as Notre Dame's starter.

"I think that Phil has gotten better and will continue to get better, and he's challenging Ian every single day, even if you guys don't see it,” Kelly said in October. “Just because he's ‘No. 2’ doesn't mean he's not challenging Ian and making him better every day in practice.

“We think that he is better as a football player and a quarterback than when camp started. We just hope that continues to move in the right direction and we're pretty confident that it will. He hasn't played a lot of real football. It's been a lot of practice football. It's an incredible game, right? You practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and then you play only 12 games.

“He's practiced a lot and hasn't played a lot in college. So, he's really missing that college (experience), which is faster, and so, that's really all he's missing right now. In practice he looks pretty good, but it's getting to that point where he actually plays in some of the games and making those quick decisions, changing protections, making some quick decisions. Those are the things that he's going to have to continue to work on.”

Jurkovec can use his first season as a red-shirt, so if he is able to secure a waiver from the NCAA to play in the 2020 season, he would have three years of eligibility remaining.

When did Chip Kelly hook up with ND?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:18 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:4 writers on 247 are predicting Jurkovec to BC.

He’s visiting - they have an article up.

[Former four-star Notre Dame quarterback Phil Jurkovec could find a new home quickly.

A few days after entering the NCAA transfer portal, sources said the one-time Gibsonia (Pa.) Pine-Richland standout began a weekend visit to Boston College, which is allowed given a provision in NCAA recruiting rules that allows an on-campus visit since the school begins classes Monday, even though it is an NCAA dead period.

Jurkovec would be a huge pickup for new Boston College coach Jeff Hafley after Eagles quarterback Anthony Brown entered into the portal a few weeks ago.

When signing with Notre Dame out of high school, the 6-foot-5, 215-pound Jurkovec was the No. 4 dual threat quarterback and No. 83 prospect in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite class of 2018 rankings.

Jurkovec was also a prolific player at the western Pennsylvania school. He threw for 8,202 yards and 71 touchdown passes in his career. He completed 68.4 percent of his throws and also rushed for 2,942 yards.

However, getting on the field at Notre Dame was difficult.

Jurkovec saw spot duty as a freshman. He played in two games and attempted two passes (both were incomplete). He also ran twice for nine yards.

As a sophomore, Jurkovec played in six games. He completed 12 of 15 for 222 yards and two touchdowns. He ran 22 times for 130 yards.

Notre Dame coach Chip Kelly addressed Jurkovec’s development during the season as even Ian Book excelled as Notre Dame's starter.

"I think that Phil has gotten better and will continue to get better, and he's challenging Ian every single day, even if you guys don't see it,” Kelly said in October. “Just because he's ‘No. 2’ doesn't mean he's not challenging Ian and making him better every day in practice.

“We think that he is better as a football player and a quarterback than when camp started. We just hope that continues to move in the right direction and we're pretty confident that it will. He hasn't played a lot of real football. It's been a lot of practice football. It's an incredible game, right? You practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and then you play only 12 games.

“He's practiced a lot and hasn't played a lot in college. So, he's really missing that college (experience), which is faster, and so, that's really all he's missing right now. In practice he looks pretty good, but it's getting to that point where he actually plays in some of the games and making those quick decisions, changing protections, making some quick decisions. Those are the things that he's going to have to continue to work on.”

Jurkovec can use his first season as a red-shirt, so if he is able to secure a waiver from the NCAA to play in the 2020 season, he would have three years of eligibility remaining.

When did Chip Kelly hook up with ND?

Yeah, noticed that as well. I’m hoping that the line about him needing a waiver is equally inaccurate.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 am

apparently he will decide within next 48 hours

bc's classes start on monday and last day he could theoretically enroll is 22nd
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:26 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:apparently he will decide within next 48 hours

Thinking that must be good for us.

This seems like a perfect fit for both parties; I really hope it happens. It would take out any sting of AB leaving.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:37 am

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 am

That would foreclose the immediate availability question. No?

He’d likely would need to stay at ND and finish his course-load to have any chance at graduating early.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 am

Just need Tariq Black and another WR and we should be able to outscore what the defense gives up.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:59 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

He’d likely would need to stay at ND and finish his course-load to have any chance at graduating early.

Talk is they think it’s fairly likely he can get a waiver.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:12 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

How? I know Justin Fields claimed that somewhere on the internet someone posted mean things. But, Jurkovec isn’t a protected class. I guess I don’t have a clue as to how you can get a waiver.

Btw... if we land him, I think credit goes directly to Cignetti.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:14 am

In 7 years Daz could not get a legit ACC QB, but it only takes Hafley 7 days! This is huge and will lead to other top recruits coming to BC over the next 3 years!

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:21 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

How? I know Justin Fields claimed that somewhere on the internet someone posted mean things. But, Jurkovec isn’t a protected class. I guess I don’t have a clue as to how you can get a waiver.

worked for tate martell

maybe he was afraid of kelly murdering him :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:03 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

worked for tate martell

maybe he was afraid of kelly murdering him :shrug

Homesick and wanted to play for family?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I have no clue as to what the reasoning for the waiver would be just that talk is there’s a pretty good chance. Seems QBs get them easier then any other position can’t really think of a higher profile one the last couple years who didn’t. I mean look at Langan last year had zero reason and got one. Don’t think anybody knows how they decide who does or doesn’t get one.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Btw... if we land him, I think credit goes directly to Cignetti.

not bad for a 3rd choice oc who's only been on the job for a week.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:

I shit on the hire because I thought it was boring and safe. But, I’m pointing this out because it’s only fair to give him credit if he lands a monster QB.

BTW... Anthony Brown and Sam Johnson were both ACC-level QB prospects. We’re all happy Daz is gone and Hafley is here. There is no need to crap on the players to justify this.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

I shit on the hire because I thought it was boring and safe. But, I’m pointing this out because it’s only fair to give him credit if he lands a monster QB.

BTW... Anthony Brown and Sam Johnson were both ACC-level QB prospects. We’re all happy Daz is gone and Hafley is here. There is no need to crap on the players to justify this.

This shows why I respect you, HJS. You don't hesitate to criticize and moving forward to stick by the rationale you had at the time for lodging the criticism. At the same time, you don't hesitate to give credit where it is due. That would be Cignetti here.

And yes, Addazio does deserve credit for bringing in two ACC-level QB prospects--regardless of how they developed. I couldn't stand Addazio's grandstanding, but he did get the basics done at BC, something his predecessor simply failed to do.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Is getting his degree from ND at the end of this spring, but has three years of eligibility left (got his ND degree in 3 years and was RS for one year).

Is this true? He played in 2 games in 2018 (wound up as his redshirt year) and a handful of games in 2019. So, he would have to somehow be graduating in 2 years. Otherwise, he will need a waiver (ala Fields).

Word from my ND sources is that he is a lead pipe cinch to get the waiver. I don’t know the reason, but my source is pretty well placed and angry as hell at Kelly.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

Is Ian Book's backup really a "monster QB"?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:59 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

compared to what daz had been handing us, yes.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:01 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:

Yes. Look at Brian Kelly’s record of QB development. Jurkovec was the #4 QB in the country out of high school. He might have been higher, but he shut his recruiting down his sophomore year of HS and didn’t do any of the road shows like The Opening and the like.

As I said, and this comes from a very highly placed and source, Kelly prefers system QBs and has never done well with talent. There is a reason that Tommy Rees and Ian Book are the only guys who will have played 3 years under Kelly. Kiel left after a semester. Kizer regressed badly from year 1 to year 2 when Kelly made him stick in “his system” after letting him freelance his first year out of necessity because he didn’t know the playbook. And even if they were busts, take a look at Zaire and Wimbush’s first few starts versus after Kelly “installed” his offense in their brains and started going all purple face on them when they utilized their athleticism to make plays.

Go read the ND message boards and beat writers. Even the Kelly apologists are upset by this development. People close to the program are similarly angry. I watched him in spring ball and he was fantastic. His fall camp was allegedly not good, but know one knows and Kelly isn’t above throwing kids under the bus to justify putting his man-crush in the QB position (See Everett Golson v Tommy Rees), (Dayne Crist v Tommy Rees). I will also say that Jurkovec made one of the most impressive throws I have ever seen in what was mop up duty against UVA. Got drilled in the chest as he was throwing and still delivered a pinpoint accurate 40 yard rope across the field. Hope I will see more of it going forward (without him getting drilled).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 pm

Joe Sullivan seems to confirm that Jurkovec decided on us
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:14 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Joe Sullivan seems to confirm that Jurkovec decided on us

Looks like it. Judging by the #GetIn hashtags.
https://twitter.com/JoeSuIlivan/status/ ... 7738170369

https://twitter.com/JasonBaumPR/status/ ... 0504774661
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:16 pm

Well this question got figured out pretty quickly what’s next?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:25 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Well this question got figured out pretty quickly what’s next?

Editing the title to say, "BC WR situation 2020 (and beyond)".
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:34 pm

I assume not for a while but does anyone know how quickly the waiver question will be resolved one way or another?
31southst
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium