Birmingham Bowl

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Birmingham Bowl

Postby Los on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:17 pm

I found this blurb about yesterday's game on one of the other sites and it still amazes me to read it every time:

Of the offense’s 11 possessions, seven amassed 1 or less yards. That’s incredible.

Most teams couldn't crank out less than a yard of offense on 7 drives even if they tried. Talk about shooting the moon.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:40 pm

No DLine, poor DBs, but good LBs. Didn't that describe Spaz's defense sometimes when he was HC?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Generally, there are two types of defensive back problems—kids that are young and need time to learn technique and scheme and kids that simply lack the athleticism to actually play the position. Coaching can have a major impact on the former, but can only make marginal improvements with the latter. Herein lies our problem. I see our woes as far more the latter than the former. The talent deficiency just seems massive and an issue that will only be cured by flushing those kids once you can backfill the positions with kids who aren’t CAA-level talent. And while I expect that Hafley will be able to coach them up both from a technique and scheme perspective, it would take a miracle for the secondary to be anything other than an endurable weakness.

The best thing that Hafley can do for our flaming tire fire of a defensive backfield is to get a good QB from the transfer portal and implement a competent ball control offense—you can run it out of the spread, but milk the clock. The longer you keep the defense off the field the longer you can hide our massive defensive deficiencies behind a good scheme.

I'm absolutely here. Nick Saban couldn't make Borgensen, El Attrach, Haynes, Palmer, etc. into good DBs. They lack the basic athleticism to play the position.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:40 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Generally, there are two types of defensive back problems—kids that are young and need time to learn technique and scheme and kids that simply lack the athleticism to actually play the position. Coaching can have a major impact on the former, but can only make marginal improvements with the latter. Herein lies our problem. I see our woes as far more the latter than the former. The talent deficiency just seems massive and an issue that will only be cured by flushing those kids once you can backfill the positions with kids who aren’t CAA-level talent. And while I expect that Hafley will be able to coach them up both from a technique and scheme perspective, it would take a miracle for the secondary to be anything other than an endurable weakness.

The best thing that Hafley can do for our flaming tire fire of a defensive backfield is to get a good QB from the transfer portal and implement a competent ball control offense—you can run it out of the spread, but milk the clock. The longer you keep the defense off the field the longer you can hide our massive defensive deficiencies behind a good scheme.

I'm absolutely here. Nick Saban couldn't make Borgensen, El Attrach, Haynes, Palmer, etc. into good DBs. They lack the basic athleticism to play the position.

Borgersen and El Attrach are all done so this seems like a stawman.

Out of the remaining guys, I bet we build a competent secondary next year. A safety transfer would definitely help though. So would an offense that could stay on the field and not run, run, pass, punt almost every possession.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:No DLine, poor DBs, but good LBs. Didn't that describe Spaz's defense sometimes when he was HC?

Spaz had decent DL. His cover 2/4 protected his secondary. Being aggressive and blitzing is great if you have guys that can hold up on an island.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:14 pm

If it wasn't clear for those who didn't go, Legion Field is a dump and deserves to be blown up. This wasn't some charming 80 year old building. It was a patchwork mess, that shouldn't be holding pop warner games. I don't know what it is like when it was crowded. I bet you couldn't move around the stadium. Yesterday was bad and there were maybe 5k there in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Don Brown is probably overrated, but the one thing the guy could do was ID and then develop good DBs. Our DBs peaked in his third year and have declined each year as talent he found and coached graduated.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Other than Don Brown being overrated, I agree with your post. One of the reasons I wanted DB as HC was the fact that he knows how to be successful at BC. I’m very hopeful and encouraged that Hafley will be just as successful.

Michigan’s problems are all on the offensive side of the ball. They got shutout in the 2nd half against Bama.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Darren6 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:07 pm

What a game to have to sit through. The things that you do for your kids, I tell ya. So we made the five hour drive to the game from New Orleans (at least it wasn’t the 8 hour trip last year) to see my son in the BCMB and unfortunately had to sit through another lightening delay (deja vu) and then sit through that pathetic showing, only to then drive home afterwards through some more heavy rain. Man, BC is a LONG ways from being any sort of contender in CFB. The coaching/play calling yesterday was awful, the effort given by many of the players just wasn’t there. I hate to keep making the comparison, but having season tix to LSU and watching them in person for 8 games and then sitting there watching that mess was literally like watching a college team play a high school team. Players were flat out handled and overpowered on both lines of scrimmage. I know there’s a coaching change but if this is the talent coming back Hafley may need four or five years to turn the program around.
I kind of felt bad for the BC players though, as several of the fans (and I believe parents of players) were very vocal in calling out the guys on the sidelines. It’s one thing to holler at coaches, as they’re getting paid, but to sort of attack 18-21 year old kids is a bit much. With the 500 fans on the BC side, a lot of what was hollered could be easily heard on the sidelines.
And I agree with the previous comment on the stadium, it was pretty pathetic I thought, but did easily handle the crowd of maybe 1500 fans.
"Laissez les bon temps rouler"
Darren6
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:28 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Out of the remaining guys, I bet we build a competent secondary next year. A safety transfer would definitely help though. So would an offense that could stay on the field and not run, run, pass, punt almost every possession.

The secondary next year will be Sebastian (he’s good), Matre, Haynes, Muse and Palmer. Maitre isn’t a disaster, but no coach in the world is saving the other 3. 2 of them should be LBs and Haynes should go Ivy League.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Darren6 {l Wrote}:What a game to have to sit through. The things that you do for your kids, I tell ya. So we made the five hour drive to the game from New Orleans (at least it wasn’t the 8 hour trip last year) to see my son in the BCMB and unfortunately had to sit through another lightening delay (deja vu) and then sit through that pathetic showing, only to then drive home afterwards through some more heavy rain. Man, BC is a LONG ways from being any sort of contender in CFB. The coaching/play calling yesterday was awful, the effort given by many of the players just wasn’t there. I hate to keep making the comparison, but having season tix to LSU and watching them in person for 8 games and then sitting there watching that mess was literally like watching a college team play a high school team. Players were flat out handled and overpowered on both lines of scrimmage. I know there’s a coaching change but if this is the talent coming back Hafley may need four or five years to turn the program around.
I kind of felt bad for the BC players though, as several of the fans (and I believe parents of players) were very vocal in calling out the guys on the sidelines. It’s one thing to holler at coaches, as they’re getting paid, but to sort of attack 18-21 year old kids is a bit much. With the 500 fans on the BC side, a lot of what was hollered could be easily heard on the sidelines.
And I agree with the previous comment on the stadium, it was pretty pathetic I thought, but did easily handle the crowd of maybe 1500 fans.

We have to get you up to Boston for a basketball game. Has anyone told you about the Conte ghosts?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:51 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Other than Don Brown being overrated, I agree with your post. One of the reasons I wanted DB as HC was the fact that he knows how to be successful at BC. I’m very hopeful and encouraged that Hafley will be just as successful.

Michigan’s problems are all on the offensive side of the ball. They got shutout in the 2nd half against Bama.

Go Eagles!

Don Brown was terrible other than his mustache. Cant blitz away crappy schemes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Darren6 {l Wrote}:I kind of felt bad for the BC players though, as several of the fans (and I believe parents of players) were very vocal in calling out the guys on the sidelines. It’s one thing to holler at coaches, as they’re getting paid, but to sort of attack 18-21 year old kids is a bit much. With the 500 fans on the BC side, a lot of what was hollered could be easily heard on the sidelines.

How the hell did anyone have the energy or desire to browbeat the players at the fucking birmingham bowl in the rain when they were already getting embarrassed?
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
Darren6 {l Wrote}:I kind of felt bad for the BC players though, as several of the fans (and I believe parents of players) were very vocal in calling out the guys on the sidelines. It’s one thing to holler at coaches, as they’re getting paid, but to sort of attack 18-21 year old kids is a bit much. With the 500 fans on the BC side, a lot of what was hollered could be easily heard on the sidelines.

How the hell did anyone have the energy or desire to browbeat the players at the fucking birmingham bowl in the rain when they were already getting embarrassed?

There were very few fans sitting close to the players. Most were far away under cover. A certain alum from the early 70s was close but I have no idea if he got on the players.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The secondary next year will be Sebastian (he’s good), Matre, Haynes, Muse and Palmer. Maitre isn’t a disaster, but no coach in the world is saving the other 3. 2 of them should be LBs and Haynes should go Ivy League.

My guess is the secondary next year is Sebastian, Maitre, Deberry, Jones, and Grieco.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BCdee on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:15 pm

We were there. Such a fun time with BC friends and BC family. Everyone was gracious!
Most all BC fans were undercover the stadium.

I stood in the front row with 74’s lovely daughter and a couple other BC fans. I didn’t hear anyone getting on the team/players....although we all decided to get back to the hotel after being drenched and trying to wait out the delay.
We watched the remainder of the game at the hotel. Good thing we didn’t stay for the entire game, because I now have the flu. Ugh.

I just want to tell you all that 74, in person, is so kind and would never yell negatively at the players...and as far as I know, he did NOT at this game either. He wasn’t even sitting near the field. He was up under cover, as was my husband and others I know. I was the idiot standing in a downpour and cheering on the team in the first row.

Brian White was the OC and gave us a big farewell middle finger by calling all of Daz’s old plays instead of what they practiced for the four weeks - new dynamic plays. I hope he enjoys a ton of big gulps at CSU.

When it comes down to it, Addazio was kept 2 to 3 seasons too long. It created a cancer that has grown. Thank GOD Hafley is coming in. He will have his work cut out, but believe he will get the players confidence back and coach them up.
We still need to pray that Father Leahy to retire as he is the ultimate problem with BC Athletics.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:16 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:Brian White was the OC and gave us a big farewell middle finger by calling all of Daz’s old plays instead of what they practiced for the four weeks -

when i first read this, knowing your exchanges with white, i thought he literally gave you the finger :laugh
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:41 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:Brian White was the OC and gave us a big farewell middle finger by calling all of Daz’s old plays instead of what they practiced for the four weeks -

when i first read this, knowing your exchanges with white, i thought he literally gave you the finger :laugh

this
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:35 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

He probably did from the booth. Lol.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Darren6 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

There were very few fans sitting close to the players. Most were far away under cover. A certain alum from the early 70s was close but I have no idea if he got on the players.

You are correct in that most fans were sitting towards the top of the lower bowl under the overhang, and I hate to call out anyone on here, but there was a guy in a gold BC jersey with a specific name and number stitched on the back (so it looked like a game jersey) and he was very vocal...standing on the sixth or so row of the stands, two sections to the left of where the BC band was sitting. Maybe it wasn't his son whose jersey he was wearing but he seemed pretty intense. One thing that he clearly hollered, and not verbatim, was "if you don't want to be here then get off the damn field". There were some other fans sitting in the same section who tried to counter with some encouraging "Go Eagles" and what not.
Darren6
n00b

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Darren6 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

You are correct in that most fans were sitting towards the top of the lower bowl under the overhang, and I hate to call out anyone on here, but there was a guy in a gold BC jersey with a specific name and number stitched on the back (so it looked like a game jersey) .

Like it was home made?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Darren6 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Darren6 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

You are correct in that most fans were sitting towards the top of the lower bowl under the overhang, and I hate to call out anyone on here, but there was a guy in a gold BC jersey with a specific name and number stitched on the back (so it looked like a game jersey) .

Like it was home made?

No, there are jerseys sold from Fanatics, bookstore, etc. that have numbers and possibly names screen printed on them, and then there are authentic jerseys with the numbers, names, patches stitched onto it (these usually cost twice as much when bought). Since his was stitched with a players name on it, I assume it was a family member. I know that if you purchase a customized jersey online from some of the websites the names are screen printed onto them
Darren6
n00b

Postby CorporalFunishment on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Darren6 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Darren6 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Like it was home made?

No, there are jerseys sold from Fanatics, bookstore, etc. that have numbers and possibly names screen printed on them, and then there are authentic jerseys with the numbers, names, patches stitched onto it (these usually cost twice as much when bought). Since his was stitched with a players name on it, I assume it was a family member. I know that if you purchase a customized jersey online from some of the websites the names are screen printed onto them

Was the number/name for a current player?

Did he have a fun "hat" that perfectly offset his outfit?
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
CorporalFunishment
n00b

Postby Darren6 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:37 pm

It was a current player jersey and I think he had on just a regular baseball hat
Darren6
n00b

Postby mod6A on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:05 pm

wait.

you aren't talking about "bloodhound" are you? or are you "bloodhound"? :seanwilliams :bag :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :koolaid :angrychicken :angrychicken

i consider myself a hardcore, young whalepantsian :whalepants fan. this game was a challenge, even for me.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby Darren6 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:26 pm

Sorry, not sure who “bloodhound” is...what position does his son play?
Darren6
n00b

Postby mod6A on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:40 pm

there was a BC superfan at the game with "bloodhound" on the back of his jersey. he was jumping around and climbing on stuff. had more energy then the rest of the fanbase and team combined.

:chewbanka

he was also wearing a Bills hat, which was amusing.
:angrychicken :koolaid :screamyeagle

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby Darren6 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Ah, yes, I think I recall seeing the guy in maybe a 22 jersey with Bloodhound in the back, may have been standing in first row of section 9. But I am not him and don’t think that he was hollering much towards the players.
Darren6
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:42 pm

fickell is a hell of a coach, if they go undefeated they should get in ahead of any b12 / pac 12 or 1 loss big team
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Previous