Team USA -Men

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Team USA -Men

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm torn on this. Olympic hockey is dumb now, but it was also dumb when it was the All Star game over and over.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:15 pm

they should sign this dude. i'd watch (even though i don't even like sports)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Half the team is BU and Harvard. I thought BC was good at hockey?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

The BC guys are all playing in the NHL. As this team is a collection of guys who were not good enough to play in the NHL (and Gionta who could have signed with someone this year and elected not to for the opportunity to be the captain of the Olympic team after a very successful NHL career), it is little surprise that it is comprised of also-ran programs like BU and Harvard.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they should sign this dude. i'd watch (even though i don't even like sports)

Is that an outtake from Lethal Weapon 6?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 am

Is the KHL as a league actually that much better than the AHL?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am

It's probably slightly better at the top end and relatively even below that.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:56 am

Starting off with a bang, :flagus vs :flagca at 1 on NHL net

Knight in net
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:17 am

Rough to go out in the quarterfinals. With that said, Knight was fantastic throughout and in the loss—the team just couldn’t put the puck in the ocean against Finland. Also, Oliver Wahlstrom has now passed Steve “Point Shaver” Heinze as my least favorite guy to ever play for BC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Los on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:37 pm

It's too bad because this was a really good crop of 18-year-olds. Just a tough draw getting Finland in the quarters.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:39 pm

what a bizarre player wahlstrom is, certainly don't miss watching him play every night. talented but disappears for far too long
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Rough to go out in the quarterfinals. With that said, Knight was fantastic throughout and in the loss—the team just couldn’t put the puck in the ocean against Finland. Also, Oliver Wahlstrom has now passed Steve “Point Shaver” Heinze as my least favorite guy to ever play for BC.

I'll bite. What's the point shaving story, and how do you do that in hockey?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Rough to go out in the quarterfinals. With that said, Knight was fantastic throughout and in the loss—the team just couldn’t put the puck in the ocean against Finland. Also, Oliver Wahlstrom has now passed Steve “Point Shaver” Heinze as my least favorite guy to ever play for BC.

I'll bite. What's the point shaving story, and how do you do that in hockey?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:11 pm

Word on the street was that Heinze was deep in the hole with the Boston mob/bookies at the end of the 90-91 season. BC has been coast to coast #1 for the season, the H-E-M line was historically prolific and then completely imploded in the Hockey East tournament and then was beaten at home, two in a row, by an Alaska-Anchorage team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament that had no business being on the same ice as BC. That BC team would put four players on the 1992 Olympic team (The H-E-M line and defenseman Ted Crowley—joining Greg Brown and Scott Gordon), a team that finished 4th in the tournament) and Billy Guerin, who was the best of the bunch was the final cut due to political considerations (that BC having 7 players would have been “too much” from one school—a whining campaign lead by the excrable Jack Parker).

Heinze played like absolute garbage in the Hockey East and the NCAA tournament and the HEM line was ineffective after dominating all year. Rumor on campus was that Heinze was on the take and was tanking. No idea if the allegation was true, but it was widely believed and that dirt never attached to McInnis or Emma. Part of that was because Heinze was an undeniable asshole of epic proportions* and part of it was that the local Southie crowd, who were still a sizable portion of the striver contingent at BC at that time insisted it was true.

*The author of this missive freely admits that in the spring of 1991, before his matriculation at BC, that he punched Steve Heinze in the face at a party on Sutherland Road and was somewhat cheered on in this activity by the late, great, defenseman Joseph Cleary—peace be upon him—who stated “Everyone hates Ketchup, go have a beer.”
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:23 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Word on the street was that Heinze was deep in the hole with the Boston mob/bookies at the end of the 90-91 season. BC has been coast to coast #1 for the season, the H-E-M line was historically prolific and then completely imploded in the Hockey East tournament and then was beaten at home, two in a row, by an Alaska-Anchorage team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament that had no business being on the same ice as BC. That BC team would put four players on the 1992 Olympic team (The H-E-M line and defenseman Ted Crowley—joining Greg Brown and Scott Gordon), a team that finished 4th in the tournament) and Billy Guerin, who was the best of the bunch was the final cut due to political considerations (that BC having 7 players would have been “too much” from one school—a whining campaign lead by the excrable Jack Parker).

Heinze played like absolute garbage in the Hockey East and the NCAA tournament and the HEM line was ineffective after dominating all year. Rumor on campus was that Heinze was on the take and was tanking. No idea if the allegation was true, but it was widely believed and that dirt never attached to McInnis or Emma. Part of that was because Heinze was an undeniable asshole of epic proportions* and part of it was that the local Southie crowd, who were still a sizable portion of the striver contingent at BC at that time insisted it was true.

*The author of this missive freely admits that in the spring of 1991, before his matriculation at BC, that he punched Steve Heinze in the face at a party on Sutherland Road and was somewhat cheered on in this activity by the late, great, defenseman Joseph Cleary—peace be upon him—who stated “Everyone hates Ketchup, go have a beer.”

I heard the same story/rumor but it wasnt Heinze, it was the goalie. Cant remember his name.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:48 pm

I'm guessing that would be either Scott LaGrand or Sandy Galuppo. Guess which one is from Long Island.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:00 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I'm guessing that would be either Scott LaGrand or Sandy Galuppo. Guess which one is from Long Island.

Yeah, but Legrand was the one who played in most of the big games that year and Legrand was the one who turned pro at the end of the season. I never heard that Legrand was in the tank, but it is interesting to note that he was a fairly highly rated prospect—at the time the best goalie prospect BC had ever brought in (including Gordon, who was the Olympic team back up and then had a couple of cups of coffee in the League), had a lengthy minor league career including several very good AHL seasons and yet never got a single whiff from the NHL. Not one game. Not even a call up as a back up. You have to wonder about that and what he did to get the complete freeze out.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:40 am

if you're bored of your family on christmas, team usa starts v russia at 6:30 on friday.

knight will be starting in goal and based on last night's exhibition boldy & helleson will dress as well
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Los on Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:06 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:if you're bored of your family on christmas, team usa starts v russia at 6:30 on friday.

knight will be starting in goal and based on last night's exhibition boldy & helleson will dress as well

Not sure if you're on the west coast, claver, but NHL.com says USA vs Russia is actually at 9:30 ET.

https://www.nhl.com/news/wjc-tournament-schedule/c-319482978

Should make for a nice Christmas nightcap after a long day of college football, NFL, and NBA.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:12 am

Los {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:if you're bored of your family on christmas, team usa starts v russia at 6:30 on friday.

Not sure if you're on the west coast, claver, but NHL.com says USA vs Russia is actually at 9:30 ET.

https://www.nhl.com/news/wjc-tournament-schedule/c-319482978

Should make for a nice Christmas nightcap after a long day of college football, NFL, and NBA.

Sounds like Knight got roughed up vs. Russia. Boldy with a nice game against Austria, while Knight sat. Hopefully he gets the crease back and recovers quickly...
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:28 pm

spencer responded by posting first back to back shutouts in us wjc history.

playing slovakia tomorrow night in quarters
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:32 pm

Newhook left the Canada-Finland game with an "upper body injury" on a clean shoulder-to-shoulder hit.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:51 am

semis tonight: canada / russia at 530, USA / finland at 930
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Los on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:20 pm

Newhook just potted one against the Russians not even a minute into the first.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Los {l Wrote}:Newhook just potted one against the Russians not even a minute into the first.

gorgeous shot

canada up 4-0
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:13 pm

US 3 Finland 1 at the end of the 2nd period. Canada has out scored their opponents 41-4 in this tournament. Will be a fun final if the US can hang on and play Canada for the Gold tomorrow night.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:47 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:US 3 Finland 1 at the end of the 2nd period. Canada has out scored their opponents 41-4 in this tournament. Will be a fun final if the US can hang on and play Canada for the Gold tomorrow night.

Finland just tied the game on a PP goal. 3:42 left in 3rd period.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:57 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:
bcshater {l Wrote}:US 3 Finland 1 at the end of the 2nd period. Canada has out scored their opponents 41-4 in this tournament. Will be a fun final if the US can hang on and play Canada for the Gold tomorrow night.

Finland just tied the game on a PP goal. 3:42 left in 3rd period.

US wins 4-3, scored the go ahead goal with about 1:30 left in the 3rd.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:25 am

Boldy with a really nice PPG after drawing a 4 min. penalty (high-sticking, drew blood), and then sliding in front of a slap shot for a huge block at the end of the game.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:24 am

appealing to torts with that block with the game on the line.

has really progressed through this tournament

leaman is a very good coach

:flagus :flagca tonight at 930
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George