Hafley to BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Hafley to BC

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 am

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:I am so pumped on this hire that I've been doing everything better. I don't know how else to put it.

I watched It's a Wonderful Life with my family and I told them I felt like George Bailey when he re-entered his house at the end. I was part emotional from the movie and part from the sominex-induced malaise being lifted from BC football. I might need my head examined but I don't give a shit.

Hawaiirob, got in.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:40 am

Since the announcement, we've sold a couple hundred season tickets," Jarmond said. "We've had the fastest renewal of season tickets in a two-day period that we've had. The excitement is translating into season tickets and donations.

https://bceagles.com/news/2019/12/20/ea ... uired.aspx
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:02 pm

I was talking to a friend of mine - a local HS FB Coach and I asked what he thought of the Hafley hire. He mentioned that he had heard that Hafley was BC's 3rd choice, and that 2 other coaches were offered the job and turned it down. I haven't really seen anything suggesting this was the case, except for this snippet from footballscoop.com - although it doesn't actually say others were offered the job:

Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo was a strong candidate for the position, but as evidenced by his dalliances with BYU and Arizona, he’s proven famously difficult to pull out of Annapolis. Once Niumatalolo and another candidate removed themselves from the process, BC quickly moved to Hafley.

Anyone hear anything more? Not that it matters at this point, but it would make for some interesting analysis of the who and why.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I cannot believe that we would consider Ken Niumatalolo under any circumstances in light of how badly it ended for Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech and the giant crater that Georgia Tech now finds itself in trying to clean up in the aftermath of then triple option. College football has moved on. Notre Dame showed in the 70s and Miami reinforced in the 80s that you cannot successfully run the triple option against a team with athletic defensive ends. Even the last gasp of the option under Tommy Frazier/Eric Crouch at Nebraska was a far different offense than what the service academies run.

The service academies run it because they have to and it works for them because they have personnel that while underwhelming from an athletic perspective, are also incredibly disciplined and rarely make mistakes. They also benefit from the fact that they are really the only teams that run it and thus, anyone preparing for them has to put together a one-off defensive game plan. There is no reason for any school that can get decent enough athletes to run a spread or pro-style offense to run the option anymore.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:14 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I was talking to a friend of mine - a local HS FB Coach and I asked what he thought of the Hafley hire. He mentioned that he had heard that Hafley was BC's 3rd choice, and that 2 other coaches were offered the job and turned it down. I haven't really seen anything suggesting this was the case, except for this snippet from footballscoop.com - although it doesn't actually say others were offered the job:

Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo was a strong candidate for the position, but as evidenced by his dalliances with BYU and Arizona, he’s proven famously difficult to pull out of Annapolis. Once Niumatalolo and another candidate removed themselves from the process, BC quickly moved to Hafley.

Anyone hear anything more? Not that it matters at this point, but it would make for some interesting analysis of the who and why.

I haven't heard anything more, but like with Monken, I doubt that BC made Niumatalolo a priority - Jarmond is smart enough to know that a triple-option system won't fly with the fans and would require a long implementation, when he's looking for a faster re-tooling. Nothing against your friend, but as ATL has noted, given the way BC has (very) quietly conducted their searches, I find it hard to believe that a local HS coach has inside information.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:08 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I was talking to a friend of mine - a local HS FB Coach and I asked what he thought of the Hafley hire. He mentioned that he had heard that Hafley was BC's 3rd choice, and that 2 other coaches were offered the job and turned it down. I haven't really seen anything suggesting this was the case, except for this snippet from footballscoop.com - although it doesn't actually say others were offered the job:

BC offering two other coaches and being turned down is an outright lie. Sounds like people we are recruiting against putting out misinformation.

Niumatalolo was not ever a strong candidate for the job.

Those that know me will back up that I told them Hafley was our new coach as early as 12/7 and I never wavered.

Did BC meet other people? Yes. Did anyone else get put up for the job? No.

If anything the acceptance of this rumor by a local coach shows how much the locals love to shit on BC. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:52 pm

I wonder which NFL HC/Assts showed interest.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:20 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:I wonder which NFL HC/Assts showed interest.

NFL HC? That would be interesting if true.

NFL assistants throwing their hat in the ring wouldn't be terribly surprising--3 of our past 6 hires prior to this search were NFL assistants (although unlike say a Carmichael 2 of the 3 also had extensive college experience and the third was Henning). I think we got the best guy for the job, though.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

BC offering two other coaches and being turned down is an outright lie. Sounds like people we are recruiting against putting out misinformation.

Those that know me will back up that I told them Hafley was our new coach as early as 12/7 and I never wavered.

If anything the acceptance of this rumor by a local coach shows how much the locals love to shit on BC. :ace

Yes. That’s false info.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:13 pm

There’s no way the Jeff Hafley loses less games than Steve Addazio so that fact combined with the added donations and season tickets sold have made this a good decision. The hire has generated enthusiasm in the program not seen since 2007.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:44 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:There’s no way the Jeff Hafley loses less games than Steve Addazio so that fact combined with the added donations and season tickets sold have made this a good decision. The hire has generated enthusiasm in the program not seen since 2007.

*fewer

and shouldn’t it read more?
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:There’s no way the Jeff Hafley loses less games than Steve Addazio so that fact combined with the added donations and season tickets sold have made this a good decision. The hire has generated enthusiasm in the program not seen since 2007.

*fewer

hail Dooder, message board king
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

*fewer

It should indeed say more.

Interesting article about less vs fewer on ibpedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_versus_less. The distinction between the two originated around the late 1700s and is now falling out of favor again as seen by my “mistake”. That is strange to me and I can’t think of another example where we are reverting to a historical usage after moving away from
It.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:40 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

*fewer

Interesting article about less vs fewer on ibpedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_versus_less. The distinction between the two originated around the late 1700s and is now falling out of favor again as seen by my “mistake”. That is strange to me and I can’t think of another example where we are reverting to a historical usage after moving away from
It.

The Court finds in favor of Tom Dooder. Hansen is ordered to pay costs.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

*fewer

It.

The Court finds in favor of Tom Dooder. Hansen is ordered to pay costs.

At least I wasn’t ordered to pay damages too. :shrug
Last edited by hansen on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:34 am

I hate it when people mis-use less and fewer. I have a wide tolerance for strange and shitty accents from all corners of this great country, but for the love of baby Jesus, if you mis-use less and fewer after being corrected, I will hit you in the jaw. Dammit, hansen.

Less soup, fewer crackers. If you can count it, fewer. If not, less. DAMMIT HANSEN.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:46 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:

This. Massachusetts coaches love the high profile that comes from sending one of their players away, regardless of the player's fit.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:56 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:

as usual logi is right

ken n was never a legit candidate and the footballscoop's report was bullshit, bringing his religion into it was a dead give away

logi, didn't see you at the westchester christmas party. maybe the shore road crew maps to the bronx alumni chapter?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:09 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

as usual logi is right

ken n was never a legit candidate and the footballscoop's report was bullshit, bringing his religion into it was a dead give away

logi, didn't see you at the westchester christmas party. maybe the shore road crew maps to the bronx alumni chapter?

Logi was in on Hafley from the beginning and throughout the process (OMG Tim effing Murphy waffling aside).

As a post mortem... Fickell and Hafley were the only 2 consistent names out there from the start. I believe that both wanted the job. I believe that Marty realized early on that he likely could only go after one of the two (as neither would be willing to sit as a backup). Marty chose Hafley. Once Marty chose Hafley, he had to land him. I think that the process from that point on was navigating BC. Marty went through with interviews of with other candidates (the only ones with legs seem to be Bielema, Waldron, Washington, Elko, Lea and DeBoer). I do not believe Monken, Murphy or Ken N were ever involved... I doubt they got anything but possibly a phone call arranged by their agent. To that end, I also think another nonsense (blauds) rumor was that Hafley walked from negotiations because of a lack of commitment from BC. Hafley wanted the job from the jump. There was never a point where BC gave him enough pause to walk from the opportunity. The delay was purely BC folks wanting to Marty to talk to different people... and coordinating an interview with Leahy.

For better or worse, Jarmond identified, went after and landed his first choice... Jeff Hafley. Time will tell if that decision was the best, but the process yielded the exact coach that the AD wanted.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:09 am

God bless the diction police.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:17 am

HJS {l Wrote}:For better or worse, Jarmond identified, went after and landed his first choice... Jeff Hafley. Time will tell if that decision was the best, but the process yielded the exact coach that the AD wanted.

the most encouraging aspect of this search.

is he going to be right? who knows but given how the last 4 searches have gone and yielded spaz, donahue, daz, & jimmy mac this process played out as it should at a p5 institution
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby xu9697 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:53 am

If those two other coaches were Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops, then fine. Otherwise, I truly believe we got the guy that Jarmond wanted.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:22 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

as usual logi is right

We are not welcome in Larchmont. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

as usual logi is right

Logi was in on Hafley from the beginning and throughout the process (OMG Tim effing Murphy waffling aside).

As a post mortem... Fickell and Hafley were the only 2 consistent names out there from the start. I believe that both wanted the job. I believe that Marty realized early on that he likely could only go after one of the two (as neither would be willing to sit as a backup). Marty chose Hafley. Once Marty chose Hafley, he had to land him. I think that the process from that point on was navigating BC. Marty went through with interviews of with other candidates (the only ones with legs seem to be Bielema, Waldron, Washington, Elko, Lea and DeBoer). I do not believe Monken, Murphy or Ken N were ever involved... I doubt they got anything but possibly a phone call arranged by their agent. To that end, I also think another nonsense (blauds) rumor was that Hafley walked from negotiations because of a lack of commitment from BC. Hafley wanted the job from the jump. There was never a point where BC gave him enough pause to walk from the opportunity. The delay was purely BC folks wanting to Marty to talk to different people... and coordinating an interview with Leahy.

For better or worse, Jarmond identified, went after and landed his first choice... Jeff Hafley. Time will tell if that decision was the best, but the process yielded the exact coach that the AD wanted.

Shouldn’t this be in the BC fan fiction thread?

I don’t think Ficknell wanted this job or would have accepted it. It’s clear he will get a much bigger job whenever he chooses to leave Cincy. Marty said he didn’t want to interview guys who were only interviewing in the hopes of landing something bigger which is exactly how I see Ficknells interest in BC (if there was any). Maybe I’m wrong here... I guesss I will have to wait for Tom dooder to correct me. :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:16 pm

I don't think Hafley will be here for very long.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:52 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:I don't think Hafley will be here for very long.

If he's not here for very long, it will be because he had excellent results that made us all happy. In which case, our institution's job is to hire the next Hafley (and in all likelihood, the next Jarmond) and on and on, every three to five years.

I see this as a great problem to have, and after a cycle or two of it, the next round of ambitious coaches and AD types will seek us out because we pushed everyone to the next level.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

as usual logi is right

Lets all hope Jarmond is a genius. We've been here before, not too long ago in fact. I'm going to wait until after a season or two under Hafley's leadership before I am officially "In."
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Even if you don't believe the BC story, even the most jaded BC fan knows that no one gets offered anything until after the Leahy sit-down. Hafley was the only one to get an offer post Leahy. Clark Lea was the other guy to get a Leahy meeting.

Also don't believe the hype that coaches turn down jobs. Maybe when a guy has a job but even then, they listen. Most guys never get their shot and many more never get a second chance.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Even if you don't believe the BC story, even the most jaded BC fan knows that no one gets offered anything until after the Leahy sit-down. Hafley was the only one to get an offer post Leahy. Clark Lea was the other guy to get a Leahy meeting.

Also don't believe the hype that coaches turn down jobs. Maybe when a guy has a job but even then, they listen. Most guys never get their shot and many more never get a second chance.

ATL, Who else got Leahy sitdowns?
Paragraph one does not surprise me one bit as I could see the appeal of Hafley to Father Leahy (and it has nothing to do with wins and losses).

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:22 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Even if you don't believe the BC story, even the most jaded BC fan knows that no one gets offered anything until after the Leahy sit-down. Hafley was the only one to get an offer post Leahy. Clark Lea was the other guy to get a Leahy meeting.

ATL, Who else got Leahy sitdowns?

Extra help for Hansen.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium