Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Postby xu9697 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Figured it might be a good topic of its own.

No rumors on Ben McDaniels, but he might be a good candidate for OC. Worked with Hafley in Tampa Bay, college and coaching experience, etc. Obviously lots of connections can be made getting him up to the NE. Also would potentially help for recruiting in Ohio.

https://mgoblue.com/staff-directory/ben-mcdaniels/3766
xu9697
Carney Hall

Re: Assistant Coaches-Hafley

Postby BC923 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:04 pm

This is a good thread, but please no Ben McDaniels. Nothing impressive on his resume. Coaching Shea Patterson?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:08 pm

McDaniels looks like a slightly photoshopped version of Hafley with a receding hairline and goatee.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Look to who he was with at Albany.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:34 pm

I am waiting for Tom Dooder to tell us who the assistant coaches will be. Of course, if I miss that post Hansen will come on a few minutes later and repeat every name Dooder lists.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:51 am

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Look to who he was with at Albany.

this is too much work. Just tell us (please)
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I am waiting for Tom Dooder to tell us who the assistant coaches will be. Of course, if I miss that post Hansen will come on a few minutes later and repeat every name Dooder lists.

complete with embedded youtubes

should be hearing rumblings over the next couple of days. i think hafley said he's going to be all bc over the weekend and with recruits locked in, the deck chairs start shuffling
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:30 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I am waiting for Tom Dooder to tell us who the assistant coaches will be. Of course, if I miss that post Hansen will come on a few minutes later and repeat every name Dooder lists.

Thank you for all you do, Dooder. I shudder to think what the board would become if we depended on Hansen for breaking news. I think the survivors would envy the dead.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:42 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

complete with embedded youtubes

CONTENT!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:24 am

based on twitter activity, i would guess current defensive quality control coach drew christ will be joining hafley

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/coach/drew-christ/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:37 am

The HC of CCSU was Bob Ford's OC at Albany for a long time.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:based on twitter activity, i would guess current defensive quality control coach drew christ will be joining hafley

What on earth does the defensive quality control coach do?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:based on twitter activity, i would guess current defensive quality control coach drew christ will be joining hafley

Most likely as Linebackers coach.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:45 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

any info about the new S&C coach? we're counting on you.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:07 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

Specifically, we don't need every player to look like the Incredible Hulk
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The HC of CCSU was Bob Ford's OC at Albany for a long time.

That would be Ryan McCarthy if tw is right. IIRC McCarthy really wanted to be Ford's successor but didn't get the job--was 32 years old at the time I think. Stayed a year and then moved on, eventually reaching CCSU as OC. Elevated to HC this past January when the HC moved on to Rutgers as O-Line coach I think (oops). Went 11-1 this year going into the FCS playoffs with high-scoring offense and a leaky defense. Wound up hosting the first round against...Albany which was 8-4 (I think). Seemed to be a revenge game of sorts, except Albany wound up winning 42-14.

So BC would be a jump into the Power 5 from FCS level where this guy has been it seems his entire career. I don't see where he has deep recruiting roots either, at least at this point. So do you go all the way to bringing him in as the OC, with minimal recruiting responsibilities much like Dana Bible used to have? Or maybe hire him as the QB coach?

Drew Christ also coached with McCarthy at CCSU (as DC), although he left in March to join Hafley at OSU. He must have done well from an analytics standpoint given OSU's improvement on D.

I'd ask questions about bringing both of these guys in given scant Power-5 experience. The last thing we want is another Donahue situation. Having said that, I would think we'll be hearing about higher-profile names for the staff now that we're past the December signing day.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:11 pm

CCSU went 11-1 this year even though it isn’t traditionally a power. An 11-1 head coach on staff is a good thing.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:12 pm

Plus, as OC/QB’s at Albany he put the QB of that team into the NFL, so I’d be cool with him.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

eepstein0 is a downwarddog guy.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:21 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The HC of CCSU was Bob Ford's OC at Albany for a long time.

That would be Ryan McCarthy if tw is right. IIRC McCarthy really wanted to be Ford's successor but didn't get the job--was 32 years old at the time I think. Stayed a year and then moved on, eventually reaching CCSU as OC. Elevated to HC this past January when the HC moved on to Rutgers as O-Line coach I think (oops). Went 11-1 this year going into the FCS playoffs with high-scoring offense and a leaky defense. Wound up hosting the first round against...Albany which was 8-4 (I think). Seemed to be a revenge game of sorts, except Albany wound up winning 42-14.

So BC would be a jump into the Power 5 from FCS level where this guy has been it seems his entire career. I don't see where he has deep recruiting roots either, at least at this point. So do you go all the way to bringing him in as the OC, with minimal recruiting responsibilities much like Dana Bible used to have? Or maybe hire him as the QB coach?

Drew Christ also coached with McCarthy at CCSU (as DC), although he left in March to join Hafley at OSU. He must have done well from an analytics standpoint given OSU's improvement on D.

I'd ask questions about bringing both of these guys in given scant Power-5 experience. The last thing we want is another Donahue situation. Having said that, I would think we'll be hearing about higher-profile names for the staff now that we're past the December signing day.

I've no idea one what his intention was, I'm sure he can fill it in, but I initially read the post as just connecting the CCSU where Hafley has no direct connection to Albany where he does to show further link between Christ and Hafley, not necessarily to suggest McCarthy was also going to be an assistant.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:22 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

seemed to work for OL.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby mod6A on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 pm

has dooder confirmed?

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Albany hosted, but otherwise, yes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:46 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I've no idea one what his intention was, I'm sure he can fill it in, but I initially read the post as just connecting the CCSU where Hafley has no direct connection to Albany where he does to show further link between Christ and Hafley, not necessarily to suggest McCarthy was also going to be an assistant.

McCarthy is an offensive guy that overlapped with and shares mentors with Hafley. Just flinging shit at the wall.

McCarthy also coached QBs at siena right after Hafley graduated from there.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:52 pm

As far as Albany players in the NFL I dont recall a QB but Hafley coached a CB that played with the Chiefs and Giants briefly
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They do everything any other coach does they just can’t go out on the road to recruit, only on field assistants can. But these guys are coaching at practice they are involved with recruiting etc
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:13 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They do everything any other coach does they just can’t go out on the road to recruit, only on field assistants can. But these guys are coaching at practice they are involved with recruiting etc

This is incorrect unless something has changed this year and I missed it.

There are on-field 10 coaches that are the only ones allowed to coach existing players and meet potential recruits.
Quality control Analysts, on the other-hand, are that coaches cannot meet with potential recruits or existing players. They only handle game planning, editing playbills, film analysis, statistical analysis, and other miscellaneous administrative duties. In a weird twist, they ARE allowed to develop relationships with high schools but not the players at them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/spor ... aches.html
https://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-ga ... rol-coach/
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:28 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This is incorrect unless something has changed this year and I missed it.

There are on-field 10 coaches that are the only ones allowed to coach existing players and meet potential recruits.
Quality control Analysts, on the other-hand, are that coaches cannot meet with potential recruits or existing players. They only handle game planning, editing playbills, film analysis, statistical analysis, and other miscellaneous administrative duties. In a weird twist, they ARE allowed to develop relationships with high schools but not the players at them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/spor ... aches.html
https://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-ga ... rol-coach/

Yeah your right was thinking of something else been a long week read quick and didn’t read it right.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:38 pm

Slightly OT, but the tOSU QB coach/passing game coordinator is apparently the leading candidate to become OC at Texas per Brett McMurphy. Not sure if the tOSU connection would have made him a candidate for Hafley's offensive staff at BC or not
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am

I think Hafley knows who he is going to hire as OC. I think he has known who he is going to hire for that important position from the moment he interviewed. He is apparently already telling recruits that he will be running a spread offense.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium