BC Players Whose Careers Were Wasted BY Crappy Coaches

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC Players Whose Careers Were Wasted BY Crappy Coaches

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:42 am

- Luke Kuechly
- AJ Dillon
- one half of Matt Ryan
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Re: BC Players Whose Careers Were Wasted BY Crappy Coaches

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:59 am

This really depends on how you measure 'wasted'.

If just collegiate careers, The Hen runs away with this one and it isn't even close. That defense we had with Blackmon and several other future NFL players was Prov-IRA-knee-capped by Ginger O'Jortsihan doing craptacular shit like kicking a FG against Pitt in OT and losing, surrendering a 104 kickoff return to Pacman Jones, letting a backup Rolly Klown QB pitch a hail mary with no seconds left, and so on.

If you measure unfulfilled potential, The Ginger again kills it but mostly because of his duration - he was wasting careers for a long time with his dog and pony shows.

If you adjust for recruiting quality as a measure for describing something like potential, it's a Big East co-champs three way between everyone who played under any coach not named Coughlin or Jags.

I'm not counting Bick here because the world and the school were very different then. Is mostly interesting to wonder how much more successful players would have been if they had actual development instead of Ricecakes' hot yoga and singing Buddha bowl therapy.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:05 am

I think Harold Landry is underrated in this regard. He had one of the best pass rushing seasons in cfb history for one of the worst teams in the FBS
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:31 am

if by wasted careers you mean due to lack of meaningful wins or championships, that would be every player for the last 11 seasons.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 am

Matt Ryan

He should have won the Atlantic Division all three years he played in the ACC. BC was easily the best team in the division in 2005 and 2007. And in 2006 (when they weren't the best team in the division), they won the 2 games they had no business winning but lost 3 WTF games, 3 in one year to 3 different frosh QBs. They could have gone 12-0 in 2006, they players did all the hard work and the coaches fucked up the easy shit. Matt was deserving of at least one Orange Bowl appearance.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Los on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:13 am

I'm still pissed off at O'Brien for sitting Will Green against that #1 Miami team in '01 just for smoking weed.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:58 pm

1. Luke
2. Luke
3. Luke
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:27 pm

The MacFugger twins
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 pm

are we talking about players who were hurt because of a shitty coach? or players who didn't get the notoriety because the team sucked / a shitty coach?

list 1)
montel
glaspar

2)
luke
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:57 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:are we talking about players who were hurt because of a shitty coach? or players who didn't get the notoriety because the team sucked / a shitty coach?

list 1)
montel
glaspar

2)
luke

I thought we were talking about players who played for a team that could have accomplished so much more but didn't because the coached fucked up on Game Day?
3)
Matt Ryan

Luke K may have had the most promise where his career was truly wasted, but his team surrounded him with nothing. You can't win anything with a super-star linebacker if the rest of the team is mediocre at best. Spaz was horrible but that was mostly because almost all the players were marginal.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:25 pm

QB Chase Rettig I always thought had the potential. But the Spaz era doomed the team and Rettig did not get the notoriety he possibly could have achieved.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm going to agree with bcshater, it's tough to say Kuechly's career was wasted when he got every college award imaginable and was drafted 9th.

With a competent coach, Rettig could still be holding a clipboard somewhere in the NFL.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 pm

On the flip side, the Dazzler did make Andre Williams some cash.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:On the flip side, the Dazzler did make Andre Williams some cash.
This hasn't aged well, counselor.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Fat Ricci
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:36 pm

lnnocent Bystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:On the flip side, the Dazzler did make Andre Williams some cash.

How so, because he didn't like him years later? Andre got drafted because of the rock pounder.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BowlStreak on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:45 pm

How can anyone say Luke? Sure, the teams weren't any good, but he put up staggering numbers and played himself into a Top 10 pick. Besides the chance to actually win at BC, what did the coaches really cost him?

Hard agree with the people that have said Rettig. With some consistency and good coaching, he really could have been something.

Ryan Glasper is the king of this category for me, though. Denied a medical redshirt by the staff and forced to return barely healthy absolutely nuked his NFL chances. He was never going to be a superstar, but he could have made a decent NFL career for himself.
BowlStreak
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Kobay White wins the award for the Daz era in my book.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How so, because he didn't like him years later? Andre got drafted because of the rock pounder.

Come on, I've been away from the board for like a year plus and I know not to fall for this, Teddy
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Deuce Finch is an honorable mention for me. I thought at times he was a better runner than AW.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:14 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Come on, I've been away from the board for like a year plus and I know not to fall for this, Teddy

My bad. Haven't been .myself. no space usually misspells counselor, no excuses.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium