2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:48 pm

Please, Fickel would be a huge mistake! Norvell is not a fit at BC and the jury is still out on him. He inherited a rebuilt Memphis program from Justin Fuentes.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 am

What is so great about Hafley? He has bounced around as an assistant quite a bit. I don’t know how you can call him a great recruiter based on one recruiting class at tOSU. Zero head coaching experience. He is a total gamble at this point.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Here’s the most likely scenario: Schiano goes back to Rutgres for 5 mil a year and BC keeps Adazzio after we win next week to be bowl eligible.

I don’t know if Jarmond has the stones to fire both revenue coaches in one cycle.

Worst part about this might be the fact I have to deal with another year of HomoJS listing coaches that will never come here or would never be approved by Leahy in a million years.

Steve Addazio is not going to be the coach of BC next year. The train has left the station.

The fact that Sgt Slaughter is going after the Rutgers job hit the public shows how far along things are with him NOT coming back to BC.

Greg Schiano might get the job at Rutgers and he might not. He was never ever going to be the coach of BC. That was a fucktareded rumor put out there by Schiano's people to pretend he has other options.

There is no turning back at this point. The Heinz Hammer as BCMurt pointed out ironically ends his run at BC at Heinz Field. :ace

BUMPTY FUCKING BUMP BUMP!

I told you dopes exactly how this was playing out. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:54 am

Adam Rittenbirg of ESPN lists the usual suspects in a write up of potential candidates for the job. Thinks Luke Ficknell would be MJs number one target but thinks he is unlikely to accept an offer. Thinks Jeff Hadley should be the hire since he would accept.

I like Hafleys recruiting acumen but I worry about hiring a defensive coach to be head coach. I feel like this never works out. His jersey ties would be key though in trying to maintain a hold on Jersey talent with the patron saint of rapists now back leading Rutgers.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Adam Rittenbirg of ESPN lists the usual suspects in a write up of potential candidates for the job. Thinks Luke Ficknell would be MJs number one target but thinks he is unlikely to accept an offer. Thinks Jeff Hadley should be the hire since he would accept.

I like Hafleys recruiting acumen but I worry about hiring a defensive coach to be head coach. I feel like this never works out. His jersey ties would be key though in trying to maintain a hold on Jersey talent with the patron saint of rapists now back leading Rutgers.

Fickell was the OSU DC before moving to Cincy. So, defensive coaches don’t always fail.

Here’s the Globe’s list (which includes Don Brown and a mention about Washington not leaving Columbus).
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/coll ... story.html

My take is Fickell is a safe hire but Hafley is the potential HR.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:20 am

Good stuff from Jarmond

It’s important to be decisive and get ahead of this process
This isn’t a rebuild this is a retool
We want to be more competitive nationally and in the acc
Said we were stalling under Daz

There was no ultimatum with the extension, was done for recruiting and didn’t see the necessary progression since that extension
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 am

What's up limp dicks
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Good stuff from Jarmond

There was no ultimatum with the extension, was done for recruiting and didn’t see the necessary progression since that extension

See above
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Good stuff from Jarmond

Jarmond is the most interesting person in this so far ... why did he release Daz this year instead of last? Clearly something, somewhere in the BC dynamics shifted this year in his favor, he recognized it, and hit his window of opportunity. I think even keeping Daz the extra year works in his favor, as it makes him look not-knee-jerk-response-y.

He high-fived Daz after the win but stuck to his decision. Saying all the right things today, steady demeanor, exudes calm. I'm impressed and for the first time in a long time, optimistic about the next hire. Independent of the quality of his next hire, life-lesson for all you pencil-dicked BC men who manage people: this is why you hire budding superstars who are outright using your work as a stepping-stone to something greater and let them do their thing for the time that you get them.

Does Fogler use the same resume-lamination service as The Hen?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:51 am

Remarkable. God bless MJ for doing what needed to be done and not the typical BC “we are what we are” bullshit. I am excited to see what sort of hire he makes, although I’d be lying if I didn’t say I didn’t have a lot of trepidation about it given BC’s past history. With that said, this move is so outside-the-box and bold for BC I have to believe that Jarmond did not make this play only to hire another blah candidate.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:54 am

I think Jarmond was trying to leave BC for a bigger job before he had to hire a coach and have a track record in this regard. After not getting the USC job, his window was closed.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:57 am

Could be, Gene Smith is getting up there in years so Jarmond needs a good five year run if he is to have a shot at tOSU when Smith retires.

Glad to see Gunnell get the interim tag. I have always liked him—particularly after he told Claussen to fuck himself. Would be happy if he is retained on the new staff.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I think Jarmond was trying to leave BC for a bigger job before he had to hire a coach and have a track record in this regard. After not getting the USC job, his window was closed.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad he's finally addressing this and there's definitely an urgency for him to prove he can do this well. I'll be surprised if he gets to can Christian as well this year, which is the only drawback to moving on this now.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:01 am

Helluva performance by Jarmond. The reason I’m more optimistic than I have been is because we finally have a decision maker staking their promising career on a hire. Jarmond wouldn’t have put his neck out there to be exposed to the media carrying Daz’s water unless he felt like he could make a great hire.

One way or another the smile and handshake after Pitt was cold blooded
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 am

now

By Steve Buckley Dec 1, 2019 5
Martin Jarmond has been on the job as Boston College’s athletic director for two-and-a-half years, but now he’s on the clock.

The man needs to hire a new football coach, and a lot of people in the college athletics community will be following this one closely … even if that’s the only community that’ll be following it closely. The Greater Boston sports community? Not so much. But we’ll get to that in a moment.

What makes this such a big deal — again, only outside Boston — is that Jarmond is about to make his first major personnel decision since arriving at the Heights. No disrespect to anyone who has been hired to work in the BC athletic department since July 2017, but shopping for a football coach is in a league all its own. And if you’ll pardon the baseball analogy, Jarmond is about to get his first big-league at-bat.

But before Jarmond decides what kind of football coach he wants, he first needs to decide what kind of program he wants. And he’s not the only person up Chestnut Hill way who needs to mull that question. Father William Leahy, the BC president, should mull it as well. In fact, it might be a good idea for everyone with any kind of stake in the BC football program to step inside the spiffy new Fish Field House, go find a mirror, and then look at it. Hard.

But while Father Leahy’s commitment to athletics is always a ripe topic with fiery alums and whatever hardcore fans still exist on the other side of the wall, Jarmond needs to look past all that. This is his baby, his time. The BC administration can do nothing or the BC administration can hire 30 full-time recruiters and build six more Fish Field Houses or it can do something in between the two and it will still be on Jarmond if he makes a bad hire.

You can read what The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman has come up with in terms of a list of possible candidates, and it’s likely that Jarmond has a similar list in his shirt pocket. My hunch is that he’s going to think outside the box — that’s what young, ambitious executives do, right? — rather than hire the next guy on the conveyor belt who says what he believes people want to hear.

Memo to Martin: Nobody’s going to care what the new guy says because at this point only BC people and the college athletics community is listening. It’s staggering how little interest there is in BC athletics, and let’s stop with the excuse that the pro teams keep winning championships and that’s all anybody cares about, etc. Sorry, that only goes so far. While there are limits to what BC can accomplish in terms of stature and eyeballs, can we all agree it can do better?

What Jarmond should not do is hire a “name,” or a guy who sounds good at a dais. What he should do is lay out to his candidates — especially those outside-the-box candidates — what the school’s limitations are, along with his goals for the program. And those goals should include nine or 10 wins once in a while, a sniff of the national rankings and an annual expectation that a major upset is in the offing.

Steve Addazio kept the Eagles respectable, but if respectability was the end game than we wouldn’t be leaning in to see Jarmond get that first big-league at-bat. Yes, there are football programs that would love to string together a bunch of seven-win seasons, as Addazio did, but let’s not forget that this year’s Eagles were handed a 48-24 beating at home by Kansas, which after Saturday’s 61-6 loss to No. 9 Baylor finished at 3-9.

Boston College fans used to believe the Eagles had a chance to beat anybody. Now they worry that the Eagles can lose to anybody.

BC became bowl eligible with its 26-19 victory over Pitt at Heinz Field on Saturday afternoon. That’s fine, and the Eagles players had every right to stage an emotional and uplifting celebration. But some of Addazio’s postgame comments were head-scratching, as when he told the Boston Globe: “That’s a special moment. Money can’t buy that moment. Nobody understands that moment. You’ve got to be in that. That’s one of the great feelings that there is. I told them that was one of the greatest moments in my college coaching career, and I think I’ve been in a fair amount.”

I agree with this part: “Nobody understands that moment. You’ve got to be in that.”

Here on the outside, we see a BC team that’s 6-6. Addazio’s record during the seven seasons he was at BC was 44-44 overall and 22-34 in the ACC.

Addazio’s work here is done.

Jarmond’s work has just begun. And he’s about to make the biggest decision of his career.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 am

Really is amazing how dickless reporters are. Buckley: "No one who matters cares, but oh wow, Jah-mond has to do the thing that real ADs are supposed to do, hope he knows what he's doing and oh here's a reference to just throwing in the towel completely on this BC football thing because the Pats" compared to the presser where MJ comes off confident, prepared, ambitious, and talking about his decision-making process.

Contrast that to Buttcut and his pull-cord-toy responses.

Also love that he boosts Gunnell with the IHC job for a bowl game - wait to give an excellent guy a shot on a bigger stage than he's had.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby fs33 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Adam Rittenbirg of ESPN lists the usual suspects in a write up of potential candidates for the job. Thinks Luke Ficknell would be MJs number one target but thinks he is unlikely to accept an offer. Thinks Jeff Hadley should be the hire since he would accept.

I wonder if the Vrabel/Fickell relationship changes the likelihood that Fickell would accept the job if offered. They were teammates and friends in college, and Fickell gave Vrabel his first coaching job at OSU. Vrabel has always spoken highly of BC and he has an obvious connection to the program with Tyler there.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm guessing Gunnell is retained, will he be the only one?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:17 pm

With Chris Peterson available or not available another big job opens up at Washington.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:With Chris Peterson available or not available another big job opens up at Washington.

Go Eagles!

Jimmy Lake isn't the interim... he's the new coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:34 pm

This Board finds its highest purpose and meaning during a coaching search. This is a beautiful thing to see. The Board becomes addictive, with all the uninformed rank speculation, punctuated by the occasional post by someone who actually knows something.

Oh, and the dick pics.

I will enjoy the next two weeks.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Headline that just came buzzing through my newswire:

'Weak potato harvest may cause french fry shortage'

Dare I say, Daz is in the fields of Athen-fry?

Also, I hope our next 3 OCLOCK PRESS CONFERENCE thread is happier than the last one, which, seven years ago, shined with Cassandran forebodings of doom.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:24 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
Dare I say, Daz is in the fields of Athen-fry?

:laugh
"Steve's so lonely...'round the Fieeeelds of Athen-fryyyyyyy"
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Fickle v Norvel round 2 Saturday. I was not impressed watching Cincinnati v Temple. This game is basically a live interview for these two possible candidates.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:56 am

I was very impressed with how Jarmond and Gunnell did at the press conference. A lot of great nuggets from Jarmond. It's clear from his statements that keeping Addazio after last year was a close call (even though the wrong call). Also, the idiot who asked Gunnell why he was not interviewing for the head coaching job should be banned from attending all future press conferences.

I'm not reading too much into the player twitter comments. There's plenty of both support and criticism from the players depending on who you ask.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:50 am

I’m a little disappointed no one has linked to this yet. It’s a coaching search, we’re supposed to be deranged.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJM ... /KBED/KCMH
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I’m a little disappointed no one has linked to this yet. It’s a coaching search, we’re supposed to be deranged.

CONTENT!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 am

BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:I’m a little disappointed no one has linked to this yet. It’s a coaching search, we’re supposed to be deranged.

CONTENT!

Rumor is that Jarmond was meeting with Urban Meyer for advice. I don't believe it but someone was posting that on the twitter machine on sunday.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:46 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

CONTENT!

Rumor is that Jarmond was meeting with Urban Meyer for advice. I don't believe it but someone was posting that on the twitter machine on sunday.

Or how about hire Urban Meyer? Let's get crazy.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium